3's vs 4's

When will this 3 finger meme end in western cartoons and why is it still a thing? Its even worse when

>characters in cartoon has 3 fingers
>feet is shown to have have 4 normal toes

Seriously, if I had OCD this would probably anger me. Fanart is also another issue since some tend to give the 3 fingered characters 4 normal fingers while other try to be more accurate and just give them 3.

it'll die when animators stop being lazy and designers know how to make hands that aren't bundles of sausages or rakes.

>4 digits on hand
>4 digits on foot

makes sense to me

The thumb is also a finger

Ladies and gentlemen: the absolute state of American education.

3 fingers?
I only see cartoons with 4 or 5 fingers.
What the hell are you even talking about?
If you really don't count the thumb then how comes that our feet have 5 toes?
Or does your feet only have 4 toes?
You really sound retarded if that's not bait or shitposting.

Why don't you care about the million other ways cartoons aren't exactly like real life people?

It's easier to animate.

In most cases the thumb is also considered a finger.
But what OP says is that if you have 3 fingers (plus the thumb) on each hand your feet should have 3 toes on each feet even if we have four fingers + thumb on each hand (five digits) and five toes on each feet (also five digits).
The big toe is or better was the thumb of the foot.

I prefer 4 digit hands on cartoonier artstyles, and 5 digit hands on more realistic artstyles. 5 digits makes the hands look obscenely huge in cartoony artstyles, and 4 digits make the hands look deformed in realistic artstyles.

Are you retarded?

I was taught that the thumb wasn't considered a finger and a hand was 4 fingers + a thumb.

It's easier to animate and most people don't even notice.

I didn't realize she only had that many fingers until this thread

I noticed a lot of CAL arts cartoons tend to poke fun at the number of fingers thing sometimes either that or animation errors.

That's because your teachers were dumbasses.

That's wrong
A thumb is still considered a (special) finger

How many toes do you have?

>if I had OCD this would probably anger me.
I've got some bad news for you...
This guy gets it.

1. Never, it's always been a staple back to when cartoons were first being made with Mickey Mouse and them. Not to mention 5-fingered hands (4+thumb) looks awkward as fuck if you want to go super-stylized.

2. It's one of those "it depends on the artist" things. Annoying sure, but it's something you have to live with unless you point a gun to the artist's head and said "change your style or I change the look of your head."

4 for cartoony styles.
5 for realistic/semi styles.
Japs use 5 because 4 fingers mean either yakuza, sub-human or death.

An at-rest hand often has a silhouette of 4 or 3 finger groupings, so ironically cartoons with fewer fingers will have more natural posing.

Anime also does this by using implied lines for any non-closeups of the hand.

In particular regard to modern cartoons that don't vary the line weight and uses thick lines throughout, drawing all five fingers would create a lot of clutter. It becomes unreadable.