Could a Warhammer40k mini cartoon series work on TV?

Could a Warhammer40k mini cartoon series work on TV?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ELUP-oZQKM4
youtube.com/watch?v=rvmaAVpJjg0
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

only on cartoon network

Make it like Warhammer Monthly and it work wonderfully.

depends on the perspective. take the orks
>ork POV, a funny show full of cartoon logic and misadventure, pg to R
>space marine POV, hero's journey full of action and bad assery, pg 13 to R
>imperial guard POV, think M.A.S.H combined with eastern European kinds of depressed sadness, pg 13 to R

>Dark Eldar POV
>TV-NC17

I hope someone picks it up eventually, if theres a lot of popularity in the general public it could finally lead to gw to accept that the franchise needs women space marines

But it already has female space marines.

cn would just make a ttg styled show featuring all the primarchs

>40k
>pg13

its literally a game designed for the 13 - 18 year old range with their parents money

it would be canon for 20 minutes until sales drop and then it would be retconned 4 times, and it would be episode 2 by then

that's how incoherent 40gay is, it would fit right into a marvel universe

sincerely: a 2.5-3rd edition player whose everything was retconned twice before 6th edition hit

bump

Not on TV.

An anthology film would be great, though.

I feel like Mahiro Maeda, the director on the Second Renaissance short from the Animatrix, would be a good choice for director/lead animator.

I've thought often about this. The best would be a rogue trader or even inquisitor show in the style of clone wars. Either would have access to a high variety of supporting characters and bizarre situations. Can't lock the show to a single army; this show has to introduce a lot of people to the entire universe, after all.

How about one of you bozos actually invest in this whole crazy idea and ask Netflix to start it up if you love it so much.

like netflix will do something asked by the fans
tell me one example of netflix doing something completely original asked by the fans

We need a warhammer40k version of the guardians of the galaxy
>inquisitor - leader
>eldar
>ork
>Tao

A team of aliens forced to work together to stop things like tyranids and deamons

Tau*

and an inquisitor would probably purge the other three, a rogue trader is more likely to work with xenos

So basically a Rogue Trader series

Can't work. Too much recognition that would leave an adaptation unforgiven if it messed up an aspect, too little pop-culture recognition and too of putting to "normies" to be actually popular, and too much Stigma with its fantasy-esque setting. Americans don't like animated Fantasy settings these days. Also too violent for anything lower than "mature audiences" and an adaptation can't be comedic if GW were to give the rights. It can't be done, or at least, not profitably.

movie about le edgy future would be so AWESOME

Only redditor and soyboys like WH40k

kys yourself

Yes, but it's a tabletop. Kids can play without being exposed to any gore or oppressive grimdarkness.

A cartoon would have to show what the universe is really like.

Star Wars was for decades about an edgy future where an tyranical empire rule with iron fist over the galaxy destroying random planets to terrorize the population.

Matrix is about an edgy future where earth is on eternal dakness and humans stuck in machines forever

Seriously fuck off from this site you mega casual

maybe a Tau mecha cartoon ?

>Star Wars and Matrix
>not standard redditfare

Not doing much to disprove my argument

don't reply to trolls

>Tau
Go away fishface

stay mad

GET THIS SHIT GREENLIT RIGHT NOW

Stay stuck an empire a millionth the size of the Imperium, weeb.

you know i'm a fan of all the faction in 40k, but faggots like you always entertain me

This is part of the problem of adapting 40k. The lore ranges from some fairly serious war drama from the Imperial Guard to incredibly adolescent power fantasy stuff coming from the Space Marines.

I feel like you'd get the strongest work out of making a serious sci-fi war film/show out of the Imperial Guard, but if Games Workshop were going to give the licenses to someone, they'd stipulate that the Space Marines be the main characters because that would make more money.

Is he good?From what I heard he's pretty much booker dewitt on warhammer40k

Why not make something similar to it?Characters died all the time, dark tone, dangerous villains, villains won half of the time and heroes victories were costly, pretty much warhammer.

Because it's not 2003 anymore and over-the-top action cartoons aren't produced by major networks any more.

It would have to be made by Netflix.

Horus Heresy

but it has to actually be funny sometime

I agree that the anthology format would suit 40k perfectly.

The animation is way too clean for 40k, though. I think that animation like this would be a more suitable style.
youtube.com/watch?v=ELUP-oZQKM4
Particularly the way that injuries are shown in this clip. The vulnerability of the average Guardsman needs to be emphasised, and I really like how the characters in this clip move when they're shot. The little twitches make it a bit more grim and horrifying.

Only if they make it kid-friendly and honestly: it'd just send the entire 40K franchise to a downwards spiral. Before you know it you'll have a firewarrior and eldar become BFFs, inquisitors giving a shit about orphans, an ork sidekick tagging along ultramarines for comic relief...
It'll be hard to sell 40K to mainstream tv if you want to stick to the original setting.

I've read pic related, pretty good book about tau/imperium interaction.

I like the Tau, but only if they are this Star Trek utopia that is basically the naive,straight man of the galaxy.

"Did you just stuck a guy on your missles so that his brain can work as its computer? What's wrong with you people?"

Human and Ork exiled mercenary bands should be a thing

have the ethereal being creepely pure of thought and you got it
ALSO farsight enclave

>Tau
>The people that invited the Necron to a party and had a cultural exchange with the dark eldar

How do they even still exist?

by the guidance of the ethereal and superior firepower of course

Yes, but it'd probably be done as a very self-serious space opera.

Personally, I think it'd work much better as an ultra-gory pulp cartoon. 40k is very adolescent at heart, and it works best when it can accept that. Go back to the 80's stylisation of the setting, and give it an early 80's British heavy metal theme song.

Have the main characters be Guardsmen, and have this be the theme song.
youtube.com/watch?v=rvmaAVpJjg0

>Human and Ork exiled mercenary bands should be a thing
Couldn't be a thing, humans would be the weaker ones in the band and you know how orks handle those. You'll need to rewrite ork nature for that to happen.

This would be perfect for a netflix show

Just gotta give Text to Speech Device more of a budget and there you go

Some few ork tribes are more tolerant and rational that the average orks, like the Blood Axes who love to work for humans if they get well paid.

Oh my fuck that would be great but then the wait between episodes would turn into waits between seasons.

What is they just made it into separate episodes, rarely including returning characters just to illustrate the size of the 40K universe.

Also have it made by multtiple artists.
A bit like the Animatrix.

what Sup Forums characters would be ideal champions of khorne?

They are pretty much the same already.

maybe a red lantern

what Sup Forums characters would be ideal champions of Tzeentch?

Wwhat Sup Forums characters would be ideal champions of any of the exalted powers?

Easy

Doctor Destiny would make a good Tzeentch cultist and too.

>Tzeentch - Loki
>Khorne - Atrocitus
>Snurgle - swamp thing
>Slaanesh - Purple Man

I like those except for Swamp Thing.

Replace Swamp Thing with Professor Ivo

agreed

the tau might be small but they produce technology that would make a tech priest blush.

It's worth it

>a Factions value Is determined solely by their Powerlevel
Not him, but this kind of reasoning is what created Primaris Marines and why Chaos has become even more shitty and One-dimensional. There’s a reason Why Orkz are 40k’s Poster-boys alongside Space Marines despite being Massive Jobbers.

I still say an animated adaptation of All Guardsmen Party would be perfect.

Its a much more college age hobby in the US.

Where does one start with 40k? It always seemed pretty cool to me, but I just don't know where to start. I've read a little about it like Orks, some of Marines and stuff, but I'm pretty lost. Is there any essential reading you could reccomend?

The great crusade and Horus heresy novels

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg
This is a good place for the lore if you dont feel like reading. Starts off a bit slow but shit gets real, along with better animation and voice acting

Eisenhorn, Gaunt’s Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain, Space Wolf Omnibus, If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device, and All Guardsmen Party are good starting points.

Not my point. I don't think that there is much wrong with Tau themselves. I think that, given their infinitesimal size, they are assigned far too much importance, and they should certainly not get a cartoon before other, more relevant factions

Evidence that its core audience will never age out of cool spess muhrine lore-idiocy

Just make an animated version of Deff Skwadron.

This or the aforementioned Rogue Trader show would be really great.

I'd watch it, only because it's the only part of the franchise that seems to take the piss out of it.

It would work well if it was done like those really condensed Star Wars shorts, they were 4 minutes of pure action on different planets with different stories.

You can do that really easy with a 40k setting;
Space Marine drop pod assault,
Dark Eldar speed bike raid,
Chaos laying siege to a hive city.
Kroot hunting Eldar in jungles
Imperial Guard holding out against Nids

That's like making Star Wars without Jedis or halo without Spartans

Assuming you are talking about not including or focusing around Spess Mahreens
>Comparing a setting made with only one particular story in mind involving a certain faction and another made entirely to wank up the player character and make him look like a badass to a setting made for Both Role-Playing Games, in which parties are often a motley bunch of characters with eclectic backgrounds, and Strategy Wargames, which usually consist of a bunch of assholes fighting over stupid shit and letting you decide which asshole you like best.
40k’s strength is that you don’t have to have any particular faction feature or Star to have a story.

You have a point about Jedi. However, as much as I love Spartans, a halo show around ODST's would be fire.

Don't forget the times (yes, plural) they sent diplomatic delegations to the Tyranids.

Both of which are 100% possible. There are shit tons of things that happen in the universe without force users and The unsc has done a lot of shady shit that could make for great stories without spartans.

Are tyranids even sentient? You can talk to them?

I'm autistic as fuck and would love a LOTGH-style 300+ episode animated series of the Horus Heresy played straight

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

stay away from 40k wikia, it's garbage and fanficy

no, the actual creatures you encounter are just animals

They have a very intelligent collective consciousness known as the Hive Mind, that can pull off quickly ingenious military strategies.

but the Hive Mine is not a physical thing you can talk to. Also it's sentience is a lot different from ours and it doesn't communicate the same way we do. Attempts by psykers to read a tyranids mind and communicate with the Hive Mind just meet with them going insane

yes and no. There are cults that mutate themselves purposely allowing themselves to become tyranids while still remaining somewhat human. They can "speak" to tyranids as is receive and understand its thoughts in a way that isnt just becoming another arm of the tyranids

save the patriarch nobody in a genestealer cult really speaks directly to the hive mind. And Cultists are deluded and often think that the tyranid fleets are a form of salvation, ignorant to the fact that they'll be eaten as soon as the nids arrive just like everyone else

>Genestealer
I think you mean Jeanstealer

But she's buying them?

i mean the nid fleet is just gonna come in soon and eat them all so she'll get her money back

Can you believe that this was the sole non-lewd pic of this character I could find?

so like TTS?

Hive Tyrants are.

Is this a bait? Please tell me that this is a bait.

Only if it's anime broadcasted in Japan.
Western cartoon series could work in 80's or 90's.
Nowadays not a single broadcaster would accept a toon with such a violence and CIS-privileging.

Didn't the Spawn animated series
and The Maxx animated series do pretty well?
given The Maxx was on MTV