How is adding in afterthought non-white characters or changing a character to be non-white helping diversity in media...

How is adding in afterthought non-white characters or changing a character to be non-white helping diversity in media at all rather than just putting a used band-aid on it?

Look, let's put that issue to one side for a moment and take the time to realize that Chaz deserved some hot asian milf action. I think we can all agree that he earned it.

>realize that Chaz deserved some hot asian milf action
Is it really worth it to have a second kid? Should've just found a hot no-kid Asian woman.

Who's to say the Chad Chaz didn't fuck his step-daughter when she was all grown-up? He's a man that thinks 5 steps ahead.

they're busy getting fucked by all the black guys

Who gives a shit?

Fuck diversity.

Chaz did

The very fact you consider minorities an afterthought is why is reason enough for their inclusion

Kimi being Nip was pretty relevant to the plot. Susie wasn't, but I don't think there's any particular reason for her not to be, it's not like there's a disproportionate ratio in the show

reeeeeeeeee

>Susie and Kimmy
>Not afterthought minorities

I think even kids could tell Susie was added because there were never any black characters on the show.

As a child, Susie or Kimmy never rang any alarms in my head, I was just a child watching a cartoon about babies.

It isn't as deep as you think

Elaborate

I bet you also think real babies wrote the cartoon.
Are you fucking retarded? It's a television program run by executives and employees. They don't just fart the episodes out.

Yes good goy, throw away your heritage, raise someone else's kid, and sire the next supreme gentleman. Or else Mr. Tiberiumstein will fire you.

My point is that you're getting worked up about "forced diversity" on a 25+ year-old show when the majority of the intended demographic never gave a conscious shit.

No child is going to consciously think "The Rugrats is adding a black kid? UGH, this oughta be good." A lot of children's perceptions of the world are built subconsciously through the media they consume and how they see the people around them react.

For all intents and purposes, Susie was a side character. This leads OP to believe she's an "after thought." There's nothing we can do about that, Rugrats is almost 30 years old. What we need to do from this point on (and already have been doing) is consider more "minority" chatacters from the start. It won't help current adults who are stuck in their beliefs but it'll help the current generation of kids.

I guess, I kinda get the frustration on both sides of the fence. But the main characters are Jews (something we find out later). So they are minorities. Just saying non-white is a bit vague because if a Russian child saw the show and didn't hear anything familiar from the white lips, he or she could feel a bit indifferent. But that's splitting hairs.

The best thing to do is not worry about it, and unless Angelica becomes a latent KKK party member, we just should enjoy the characters and their (story) backgrounds. I just don't think affirmative action should be pinned towards literature and creativity.

Well, if the problem is that every character in media is of the exact same race, then the solution is to have characters of different races.

If it's not literally "every character in media", then the same logic can be applied to narrower but still meaningful categories, such as "every character with significance to the story", "every sympathetic character", "every character who is portrayed as a person rather than an oddity", or "every major character".

I don't think this is really an instance of it being forced.

Suzie IS just a side character but her race is never really called attention to beyond the obvious visible aspect of it. I don't recall the babies ever getting a lesson on racism for example. She was just an older girl who was black and sort of served as a sometimes foil for Angelica.

Even Kimmy wasn't really forced as the plot of the movie relied on Japan and since Chaz's widowed new wife was Japanese well her kid being Japanese is just a matter of course.

Now you can say a lot of other stuff about Kimmy but frankly at the point she arrived their was no saving that sinking ship so you can't really say she ruined anything so much as just didn't save it. Like was said she was a band aid on a severed head.

Diversity By Decade
>40's
Black servant. Maybe a jazz singer.
>50's
Black person in minor role, most likely a servant or service provider. Asian person may do your laundry.
>60's
Someone in bell bottoms with an afro is in a crowd scene.
>70's
It is either all black, or no black.
>80's
"Your show must include one African, one female, and one asian or one latino, these are the network quotas. Unless your show is about talking reptile-men"
>90's
"So, this show, the minorities are the main characters, and everyone else is assigned a token..."
>00's
"Fuck it, what was that thing about talking animals?"
>10's
"OH shit we forgot about the gays! Quick! Shove homosexuality into everything! Uh, this characters' parents are two gay men, and that character is a gay woman, gay everything up!"

Why do you think this is limited only to Rugrats and doesn't still happen now?

Why is recognizing a character for a race helping anything?

Their race was never brought up in either situations. They were just another character to interact with. Their personalities weren't a stereotype and they never did anything that only characters of a certain race can do. They were treated equally and acted equally.

Chaz wasn't jewish. You're thinking of Tommy's mom.

>Why do you think this is limited only to Rugrats

No one even came close to going near the same vicinity as that statement ...and you know it

You know it, but you purposely misinterpret people's arguments

I didn't even know what "race" was at the time.

Not that user but take not of "as a child", that's a crucial part of the post you completely missed.

Did you purposely miss the post I quoted that talked exclusively about how this doesn't matter because Rugrats is a blahblah years old show and since Rugrats is over who cares about Rugrats? Or are you just a newfag who didn't realize the numbers in my post weren't random.

The 70s had it right. It turned out some good shows and movies.

As a kid I thought Susie was added to give Angelica a friend because she was a creepy friendless lose.

How did people even notice Susie getting added? I experienced Rugrats like most people my age - through reruns on Nick. I was born in '93 and Susie was in the show from the moment I was aware of it. Hell, so was Dil. I can't honestly believe anyone ITT is old enough to remember watching Rugrats as it aired and to have been old enough to have any concept of race at the time, that would make you like 35+

This. You can have whatever character you want so long as they fit the theme and the story isn't historical.

41 here. And I've been mostly ignoring this thread till now. It's not quite to the level of 'hide thread and ignore completely' but it's kind of 'tarded kid masturbating in class' cringey. At the time it didn't really occur to me to care. It was entirely 'so what?'. The entire premise of it being 'pandering' instead of 'so what' is pretty much self-fulfilling prophecy. For as long as their are people who'll spaz about it, maybe 'pandering' needs to happen. For everyone who isn't a backwards sperg it'll just be another 'so what?'

I didn't even know about race back then. Suzie was just the new girl and that's all that mattered.

I was much more upset over them adding in New Pokemon after the original 150. What, new pokeballs? REEEEE!

Same.
I remember back then I watched on NickJr (among other things) Gullah Gullah Island and it never even REGISTERED that it was mostly black people. To me it was just a catchy tune and a fun show with a giant frog.