Paranatural

>Some callbacks on this page. Several callbacks.
>paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-100
>paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-38

>isaac definitely doing his own ominous cowboy entrance wind sound effect right now

>tfw the story goes off in so many different directions that you have to remind readers that you're referencing a thing that happened over 2 years ago

Other urls found in this thread:

paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-38
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

PNat is the saddest comic.
It's like watching your best friend descend into alcoholism

More like
>It's like watching your best friend's wrist implode

The return of Isaac's rapeface at last.

He may not remember any of this while Hijacked but at least he can make sure Spender will feel sore when he wakes up.

Zack plans out the weirdest things. This comic has spent most of the last couple of years meandering and taking more random turns than a drunk guy in a maze. To the point that I just decided he had no overall plan anymore and was just milking Patreon. But he's been planning for this scene since May 20015 apparently.

More like Phineas Gage - one blow to the brainy core of the story and the output becomes so changed in emotion and coherency.

It all comes down to 2019 (or more) whether the arc tension gets resolved on a positive note and we can all let go without some awful bad taste indelible in our mouths...or eyes, whatever. PNAT's current route now is so insufferable considering all the artistic and creative potential it had back then. It's not sincere, serious interest we're having anymore; just pity.

>paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-38
How is this page referenced? I don't see any obvious connections.

Well Hijack's probably gonna die. Kinda sad too, considering that he's been a far better and more supportive teacher than Spender has been, and he's literally only existed for three years.

The student council panel with the font and sparkles.

Can somebody explain this page? I'm genuinely confused.

That's not hard. You see the big moments in your head, and filling in the rest is a more subtle deal.

>But he's been planning for this scene since May 20015 apparently.
Like, actually done according to 計画, really? Where?

Even if that was planned all along, it never justifies the flaws of the build-up made before it...you're expected to actually feel the pay-off from all this shite shyamalaning, confusing drama; but you really can't care much because of a lack of connection between what's happening in the past and now.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH

>May 20015
Fuck, has this chapter really been going for 18000 years?

>He doesn't remember coming out of cryostasis to find out only three pages had been uploaded since The Bomb because Zack had to go to a con

NYARRRGGHHHH

>because Zack had to go to a con
Ironically turning into a Ghoul actually managed to strengthen his wrists though.

>Not having a buffer to run while they do conventions, physical goods and other commitments.
What an amateur.

>Read Unsounded after seeing a bunch of Sup Forums threads
>Better art (Style debatable, I prefer it, but the art itself is mechanically better.)
>Better (opinion) story
>Despite both of these manages a better update schedule and doesn't miss it except for planned hiatus
really makes u tink

NOOOOOOOOOOOAAARRGHHH

UARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

Its because hes literally an amatuer, he isn't willing to commit himself fully to his comic and it shows. He just makes excuses and surrounds himself with only positive feedback.

You'd think being an amateur would have made him play safer with the story and plan carefully with the plot and character intake...

You sure he didn't just re-read the chapter and pick previous jokes to bring back to elongate this part?

Amateurs are the ones who make mistakes like this.

I got a chuckle, but come on this page could've had a lot more going on then one joke.

On the one hand, Isaac has the lowest amount of loyalty to Spender, and thus might be vulnerable to Hijack spilling some juicy secrets.
On the other, Isaac might just see this as a golden opportunity to beat up Spender and be a hero of justice at the same time and thus not listen to anything Hijack says.
On the -third- hand, we have no idea how well Hijack can actually fight spectrals. Even if Lucifer won't get in Hijack's way, there's no time for Hijack to learn how to use Lucifer's power, especially if he doesn't want to accidentally free the Black Sun.
Then again, Hijack can boost the body of his host to superhuman levels, and learnt a couple energy manipulation tricks from Zarei, so if he does actually want to fight he might not do to badly?

The joke it's referencing was better too.

>implying Isaac isn't about to side with Hijack

Reminder that Hijack!Spender is the only time Isaac has gotten positive reinforcement from the person who's supposed to be his "spiritual" (lel) mentor.

To think he was doing pretty well with those previous pages. It's insane how this man genuinely can't go a week or two without inserting wacky gags.

But is that what a "hero" would do?

It's what an upset kid who feels like he's been betrayed by the people who are supposed to support him would do, or at the very least feel sorely tempted to do. He'll probably just throw some lightning and yell over-dramatic pathos because Zack is a hack.

>Issac tries doing the right thing
>screws everything up
>everyone chews him out for it
>he gets even angstier
I'm calling it.

More like

>Hijack explains the situation to Isaac
>Helps him escape, but not without raising suspicions
>Everyone else grows even more suspicious of him, finally pushing into the anti-hero role. He leaves the club

I'd rather see Isaac hanging out with those bunnies and Forge, the real good guys

Nah. The closest thing to a good guy this comic has is Lucifer, and he's a straight-up fatalist. Everyone else is just varying degrees of deluded, including the Angel that Doorman and the bunnies serve.

So here we have Spender telling Isaac that he should try to figure things out on his own.

And here we have Spender explaining to Max, while Isaac is in the same room, that your spirit can straight-up kill you while in Trance mode.

>the main point of Isaac was that he has angular design
>now it's homogenised blob with wavy hair
zack you hack

Here we have King C. showing that he is aware of what's going on around Isaac and expressing a distaste for Spender and whoever Spender works for.

And here's King C. trying to radicalize Isaac.
Eh, while Isaac's hair is less angular now, I don't really think he was given a different face than any other kid that Zack drew, since that was never really his strong suit.

And here we have Spender explaining that when in close proximity to a host spirit, that spirit shares the senses of the spectral, and the only way to stop that from happening (and stop that spirit from killing you) is distance. And he's saying this when Isaac and King C. can both definitely hear him.

Conclusion: Isaac is a FUCKING MORON if he can't fucking get why Spender is hiding information from him and I can't wait to see the look on his stupid face when someone spells it out for him.

Though honestly I don't know why Spender can't just tell Isaac it's because he doesn't trust King C. if he can indirectly also tell King C. that he can kill Isaac whenever he wants.

The only real good guy the comic has is Lucifer, and hes so cynical and pessismistic that the ONLY reason as to why he's still fighting is because it's the only thing he knows, the only thing he has left. Everyone else is just a wide-eyed idealist to some degree, including the Angel that Doorman and the bunnies follow, and that Forge has grown infatuated with. The closest character that comes to Lucifer's view on things is probably Boss Leader, really.

>king c
Oh, I thought that hover text was real and Isaac did talk to himself

>Conclusion: Isaac is a FUCKING MORON if he can't fucking get why Spender is hiding information from him and I can't wait to see the look on his stupid face when someone spells it out for him.

I never actually considered that he was talking to Isaac by proxy. I-is this... good writing?

While possible I personally find it unlikely. Not even Isaac is that chuuni. Or at least, not the kind of Chuuni who'd call himself "King Cool"

Also that reminds me, what's the deal with those two spirits the storm god noticed?

The bunnies maybe, can't be the dogs.

Considering that Isaac didn't appear to be surprised when hearing this, I don't think it's news to him at all, but considering what Spender said in It definitely does seem like Spender turned it into a veiled lesson to Isaac.

Zack seems to be really bad at pacing and he has a shallow understanding of how to include "progressive" stuff, but there was always more to like about this comic than just cool spirit designs.

>Also that reminds me, what's the deal with those two spirits the storm god noticed?
Probably the bunnies. The Pixelhounds are trapped in a never-ending loop of devouring each other to ever manage to escape and target the kids. Besides, Catnine would have certainly noticed their presence if it WAS them, and he'd have made a bigger fuss over it.

I guess I'm just thrown off by him intially considering them hostile, though it does jibe with him later deciding to ignore them.

...I guess he just automatically assumes any spirit in a close proximity is hostile?

Well he doesn't like Doorman. Forge and the Bunnies are all part of the same team, plus what is an angel to a GOD.
That and hes probably just on alert all the time, maybe he can literally detect the threat of things by their intent. If he knows they're just observing him he doesn't care. Garcia about to spring a trap rates higher.

Okay so
>The circumstances of his blacklisting are classified
Seems like for whatever reason the Constortium (of which Spender is a member) isn't allowed to just say "It's because we think King C. sucks and don't want him learning anything" which is... weird. Like logically why can't they just tell him that, and does that mean that Spender is actually being subversive by hinting at it as much as he has been?

Though that does raise another issue. It seems like Boss Leader could, with minimal difficulty, kill King C. in Isaac's dreams if he was such a potential liability risk, but doesn't want to. Did she make that offer only Isaac turn her down in a dream he no longer remembers, or does she want King C. alive for some reason? Or is it not actually about King C. at all?

Its implied she doesnt want to kill spirits, she very clearly offers to destroy it and says that Max was being tested.
If you have an organization of humans with the goal of killing spirits youre gonna have a lot of grudges running around

I think the thing that they have in common is that they both know that wanting to do good doesn't mean that you are good or that good will result from your actions. Which is a lesson that, despite their protests to the contrary, Spender and Forge haven't really internalized.

I don't see how page 38 is referenced.

I hope Hijack possessed Spender doesn't hurt Isaac too bad. I don't know why Lucifer stopped right then and there.

You're probably correct, but I don't know why she'd say there was no wrong answer after Max gave the right one.

Unless you're saying that him choosing otherwise would show that he's not Consortium material, and BL considers that a valid lifestyle choice?

Yeah theoretically he could have waited for Hijack to finish deleting the texts, but I don't know maybe he figured that Isaac was volatile enough that he'd immediately attack if he thought he was being ignored?

yes, that was the test. If he wanted to kill it, she might have complied, or she might just end the dream right there and he'd forget everything.

I guess I figure that that falls under "wrong answer"?

I got the impression that the "angel" was going to be revealed as evil at some point, and they're just brainwashing whoever knows about them.

Boss Leader doesn't WANT to kill Spirits. Not even Grudges it seems, since she very clearly realizes that they're just Psirits driven mad by forces out of their control. The only Psirits she might desire to straight-uo annihilate are the o as that are Pure Evil down to their very core, like the Black Sun or the Pixelhounds to a lesser extent. And I doubt she's strong enough to take the Black Sun on in a fair fight.

I doubt Zack would go for the cliche as having the Angel be flat-out evil, but maybe just deeply flawed?

We've actually heard the Angel talk to Doorman and Non over the phone, and she was greatly relieved to hear that they were doing well, which pretty clearly makes her an ally in all of this, if not a direct force for Good like Lucifer (albeit seemingly not as fatalilstic as he is). Here's the direct quote;

>"My dear friends... to hear your voices after so long... it is a gift beyond measure."

Considering how unimpressive Scrapdragon is in the dreamscape, it might not have been much of a fight.

Then again, it could be that Scrapdragon had barely gotten any energy and thus was still weak, while the Black Sun (and maybe Lucifer) are closer to full power and thus more formidible?

>Great power
Could Forge be talking about the darkness spirit inside Spender? What a hilarious irony if thats the case and Spender is literally the jail for this thing.

Huh, Agent Day also had that bright white text when talking about the incident 13 years ago.

For some reason the vibe I'm getting is that The Black Sun was once whole and more of a traditional Sun embodiment, until something made turned it into a creature of darkness, hence why Spender thinks Forge's speech is hilarious?

>returned
Thoughts on the theory that Forge was once partners with Max's mom?
I mean you'd think he'd have shown some recognition when possessing Johnny, but he seems to be pretty self-absorbed.

During the fight, the sun will probably leak, allowing Hijack to escape (but he'll be stopped by someone else instead).

Those tattoos on his mom's arms certainly draw the eye, I've gotta say. Especially since it looks like they're depicting a "battle" of some sort?

So Zarei is investigating Spender under Boss Leaders orders, will Max try to save Hijack?

Wait...

That kid's not Agent Day right?

Max would remember her, surely?

>Consortium makes you forget things
o no

Also that girl is probably a young Agent Day right? Since Max dropped a similar hint as well.
Nah, Boss Leader is talking about Agent Day, Zarei is almost as rogue as Spender, because she's keeping her artificial spirits a secret, and that's why she's investigating Spender.

What makes you think he doesn't remember her?
I am like 90% sure alt-text isn't canon.

Who is Mr.Walker again? Was he that guy Spender was with

She's laying it on a bit thick, but then again that doesn't really mean she's lying.

Agent Day is certainly an interesting character. Can't wait to find out more about her.

They have completely different skin tones even if you take in account the desaturation of current pages

Yeah he's the cowboy spectral who has brown spectral energy, and seems fairly high up the Consortium's ladder? It's not really clear.

Top right is her asking her spirit what it was, yes?

Eh, the kids were kind of backlit in that flashback panel, and I feel like Zack has been experimenting with skin tones over time, so that's not really the best indicator.

Day is cuter here than now. Everyone was cuter back then.

Yes.

Yep. Also if she is Max's childhood friend, that's a decent explanation on why she might not have recognized him immediately.

If she is the girl in the flashback, do you think the incident blinded her or that she was always blind?

I wonder if there's a relation between her Nintendo text highlight thing and the fact that other people do it too when referring to the incident™.

What part specifically? Her highlighting the words "love arrow"?

maybe not only Isaac is moron, but also Montezuma?

She does it a lot. Max even points it out and I think Zarei does too.

The best way to help him escape is for Hijack to hijack Isaac.

I think everyone -can- utilize colored text but generally it's reflective of how bubbly you are, so they rarely choose to do so?

Not really, because while Lucifer might have been content to see what Hijack was up to, puppeting Isaac would place Hijack at the dubious mercy of King C.

>Its implied she doesnt want to kill spirits,
No it isn't. The test has no wrong answer. It's a personality test. Getting to know Max. Hardly means she would have left him with a feral monster that could bite his head off if he didn't want to be.

>Black Sun
you mean that face?

Yeah I mean even if there are ways for Max to protect himself, Scrapdragon killing him still has a non-zero probability of occuring, and asking a twelve-year-old to put up with that seems like it's asking a lot.

If this shit show does ever become worth it, it'll all be thinks to Scrapdragon doing something awful.

Yeah that's the name that caught on after it was revealed, after someone pointed out that it looked like those old-timey depictions of the sun with an impassive face on it, only with a chunk taken out of the face, and the rays twisted into tentacles.

It also would explain why a shadow monster would have yellow spectral energy (at least I don't think we've been given any reason to assume it doesn't also have yellow energy).

For comparison.

came just for this