Who's the better dad, Hank or Bob?

Who's the better dad, Hank or Bob?

Bob's been shown that he'd do anything for his kids.

Hank is NOT always there for Bobby.

But both love their kids.

I'd give the point to Bob, but Hank's still pretty good.

Bob.
Hank's didn't always do the right thing for Bobby, even if he genuinely meant to. Best example is the baseball episode.

Bob is an unexpected parent
Hank probably knew he wanted a son after he got his propane job

forgot to add that they're both okay dads that's doing it "right"

Bob, but only just so. They're both very good dads. Not perfect but generally supporting and loving to their kids. Hank just seems to have a harder time showing it, presumably just due to his upbringing

They're both not the best Father, but both clearly love their children. I think Bob is the better Dad personally, though.

Bob, but Hank is alright as well. Bob is just better at showing love for his kids.

bob.

They're both way, WAY better dads than their own fathers were, at the end of the day.

This, which is genuinely admirable. Any dad that does better for their kids than their own parents is worthy of respect.

Unexpected parent? Bob married Linda before he pumped her with his sesame seeds. There's nothing suggesting any of his kids were accidents.

Bob. Bob tries to bond uniquely with each kid. Hank mainly rolls his eyes at Bobby's antics.

Bob, hank is a good person, but a bad parent and a bad husband. He is too good for his shitty family. Bob on the other hand has 3 fucked up kids but they all seem well adjusted, bobby on the other hand will grow up into a complete faggot.

Hank
Bobby learns from Hank how to be well adjusted, level headed, but still funny.

Gene amd tina are autistic and louise will never make it in society because shes sociopathic

>Bobby learns from Hank how to be well adjusted, level headed, but still funny.
He didnt

Bob gets his kids. He may not always understand WHY they are the way they are, but he gets what makes them tick and accepts them for who they are. He even encourages them a lot of the time to grow into their own individual persons.

Hank loves Bobby with all his heart, and does his best every day, but he doesn't really get Bobby. He still tries to force him into what he wants him to be every now and then.

I literally can't think of a better cartoon dad than Bob

what is this meme? bobby is a good boy and a great son. He will at least try the stuff his dad wants him to do and always gives it his all. The kid is a little weird but hes always trying. Dude had a steady girlfriend and a job at 13, and even had a decent stint as a wrestler and enjoyed shop class. Bobby is an all american fatboy and any father worth his salt would be proud. Which hank is, but has a hard time showing

I don't think I can think of a better cartoon family. It's weird to see one that's not really dysfunctional and genuinly get a long these days. And that's sad.

truer words are seldom spoken. I hope to have kids one day and raise the shit outta them.

being a good dad, and a better dad than your own is one of the most noble things a person can do. too many shit fathers in this world

Bob is a good parent

Hank is... Almost worse than Homer. Think about this, Homer (not zombie simpsons) knows anough about his sons and how to deal with them, even being different and not understanding what they like, he still loves no matter what because he understands that they will still share great moments together, they are not his friends, they are his family. He is a crippling idiot, but still a good father.

Socially Hill is a very poorly formed person, he oftens falls to understand how people behave and is almost autistic, he wants Bobby and everyone to like things and behave like him don't matter what. He has to learn the same moral over and over, he falls to see that the only reason he likes the things he likes is because his father pushed him to do it, and his father is a terrible person but he don't see this. He wants to raise Bobby like his father raised him, but with the fierce grip of his father he ended up growing up too much of a pussy to do it.

>He wants to raise Bobby like his father raised him

With constant shouting and spousal abuse?

>only likes things because his father pushed him to do it
I don't think that's true in the case of Hank.
Hank does have pretty clear reasoning for liking the things he likes apart from his father pushing it. Hell somethings he likes specifically because he saw them as escapes from his dad, and he has several aversions specifically because he links his dad with it.
He has his reasons for liking things and believes they built good character which is why he's so keen to get Bobby into them. But you're right he's very stubborn and autistic so he can't explain his reasoning well and just gets frustrated until he reaches a point where he's clear headed and gathered enough to explain why he feels the way he does.

Think like this

>God! How can my son don't like this?
>I used to like everything my father told me to like
>How he was able to do it?
>Oh Yeah! I used to... To be too scared of him to say no...
>...And i aways wanted his approval... That i never got...

Hank grew up all messed up, but still as a good person. He is slowly realising that nothing that made him good today didn't came from his father, his father just made him naive, dumb and too much fearful of authority. This is why Bobby will turn out alright, he already has the approval of Hank and he not fear him, he respects him

Hell he only likes propane because he sees Buck as a supporting father figure he never had. The one time he ever stepped up to Buck's shit was when he put Bobby in danger by taking him to those back alley gambling matches.

Honestly though, is Hank the best dad he could be with Cotton as his example? I think so.

Who's the worst dad, Cotton or Big Bob?

Cotton.
Big Bob is implied to be a lot like Bob but without siblings and Bob being himself he was a far lonelier person than the kids ended up being and their relationship didn't get really bad until Bob blew up at his dad and they were both too stubborn to attempt to reconcile.

Cotton meanwhile is legitimately abusive and endangered Hanks' life.

The rifle episode will always probably be my favorite in the series, just for how well it handles their relationship as well as Hank's with Cotton.

Big Bob showed up all of like once and while a hard ass was never really the, well raging Psychopath Cotton was. Hell I kind of hope we see BB again now that they patched things up.

he'd do anything but reel them the fuck in
now he's got a sociopath, a pervert who needs to know more shame, and a faggot who needs to die

Hank tries to teach Bobby practical skills and trues to set up a good future.
Bob also instills good work ethic plus connects with them emotionally and sacrifices more for them.
Both fail with their son's athleticism.
I think Bob wins by a narrow margin.

Big Bob never killed fiddy men

this. Hank, for his son, not only came over a long time phobia, but also tried his damndest to win. did they win? no, but they still had fun doing it

hell, it was one of the many that carried the lesson over to when Hank wanted to take Bobby hunting. did they hunt? no, but they decided to make it a good father/son time anyways

I think Hank was the better dad. Yeah, he may be slightly autistic and can't show affection, but he does a dang good job raising that boy of his. Bob is also a good guy, but I think he let's his kids get away with too much and they're all kinda strange... Bobby is a bit quirky too, but he's a good kid

>mfw wholesome thread

Hank didn't break numerous child labor laws.

Big Bob. Cotton killed fiddy men.

>but also tried his damndest to win. did they win? no, but they still had fun doing it

well that in itself was part of the greatness of the episode too. It's not just the phobia but Hank's idea that you HAVE TO WIN he know doubt got from Cotton and from his own high school football coach and career.

See how excited Bobby was to get their certificate made him realize that spending time with his son had value in itself more so than the trophy would have had they not bonded.

>no one can agree because they're both such genuinely good men doing their best for their kids
This is a good thread.

They're both better than my dad.

say that to my face and not online, i'll be waiting

>any father worth his salt would be proud.

Spoken like a complete loser, Bobby is a retarded kid that has very few good skills and never developes any of those skills. He was a good shooter, he quits, he is a good cook, he quits, he is nothing more than a hedonistic ball of lard, that is influenced by everything he has around him. he probably experimented with men in college, Hank deserved better, but it's his own fault for letting peggy ruin the boy and never spanking the little faggot.
This. On one hand Hank knows the issues bobby have and on the other he is afraid of actually doing something, Hank is a good person but at the same time keeps clashing with the world is stupid ways, he has no issue using violence with strangers but is afraid of being scary to his own kid.

No one cares about your shitty father, user.

Neither do I.

>implying that bobs looser kids aren't equally as fucked up
Bobby has raw potential and is being pushed to achieve his goals by a proud father
unlike the burger kids who will probably live with bob till there mid thirties working in that same dead end fast food gig until either Bob Kicks the bucket or the resteraunt goes under again

You can make a decent case for either one. Bob goes to pretty extreme lengths for his kids and that's noble, but if he kept them on a tighter leash and if they had any concept of their actions having consequences, he wouldn't have to. Hank can be real hard on Bobby but he's also frequently capable of recognizing when he's wrong about something or Bobby is about to get in trouble.

Hank

>Bob. Bob tries to bond uniquely with each kid. Hank mainly rolls his eyes at Bobby's antics.
>Positivity always gives positive results, negativity always gives negative results

This is such a soyboy way of life. Newsflash dipshit if we didn't get positive results from "negative" emotions/reinforcement we literally wouldn't have evolved them.

And hank never did anything to stop his kid from being a faggot

He tried his best, some of his values rubbed off on Bobby it's just he's a radically different person to Hank at his core. And he has to deal with Peggy being his mom too which makes his job that much harder. The Tartuffe the Spry Wonder Dog episode was a brilliant episode for showing that sometimes you need to tell people to shut the fuck up and not be a retard.
Bob reinforces negative behaviour all the time and his kids are total freaks, one is a socially inept creep, one is a socially oblivious idiot, and the other one is sorta sociopathic.
The only one who has a chance of not being a complete failure is Louise but you could argue that's because Bob hasn't had much time to parent her yet.

People who are afraid of negative reinforcement are simply cowards who would prefer the easier option of doing what's convenient rather than risk the fallout from doing what is right. Scared of rocking the boat.

Who says they won't succeed? They're just kids, just because they're goofballs now doesn't mean they can't succeed as an adult. Gene, for example, is actually a very talented artist. His plays at school were ridiculous. And Tina is a model student.

They aren't weird because of Bob's parenting. They're weird because they're related to / take after Linda. Louise seems more "normal" because she takes after Bob.

(OP)
At least Hank provides for is family. Hank is an assistant manager and Bob's restaurant is hardly successful. Bob's household is always broke and behind on its bills.
Hank is so well off that he can even take in his niece.

Im sure I remember the kids high fiving Bob saying that they were proud accidents but Louise might have been expected

Tina is going to get knocked up by the first drunk looser who gets her shirt off.
Gene has no place in the work force other than as some kind of artist. I could see him being unfocused and hard to work with so if he got a cartoon it would end up cancelled after the first season.
Louise will probably be successful if she doesn't do something that will land her in jail.

Nope
Who knows
Who knows

Tina is a horny girl going through puberty, but she's also incredibly responsible. And I see Gene as someone very very passionate, if he did get a cartoon he'll put every last effort into it. And Louise is smart.

But again, none of them are even 15 yet. You can't judge how they'll be in their adult-life based how they are as children, that's actually ridiculous.

Don't taint El Generico with your shitty opinion.

John K is doing alright for himself, and you basically just described him for Gene. I think Gene is going to be just fine.

Something else to consider is that Hank might only have Bobby as his “real” kid but he’s in essence Luanne’s dad, plus he might as well be the dad for his core friend group, Bill in particular. And, when he gives into his demons, Buck Strickland. And Peggy when she does something stupid and conceited and needs to be reined in which is like all the time.

So all those pressures, combined with Cotton’s awesome to watch but painful to live raising of him, makes Hank not only a great father but one of the most unlikely heroes in modern television history

>Louise will probably be successful if she doesn't do something that will land her in jail.
I can see it.
I want a spin-ff where Louise was a once rich and successful businesswoman but gets landed in prison for shady shit and decides to run her fathers old restaurant whens she's back to square one.

>They're weird because they're related to / take after Linda. Louise seems more "normal" because she takes after Bob.
Louise has Linda's "zest for life" - she attempts to be like Bob because she's a daddy's girl but she's still, at her core, more like Linda. I'd say Tina is the most like Bob, and bulk of Tina's weirdness comes from her literal autism.

They're both top quality dads, though if I had to pick one I'd go with Bob.

I like to think that if they were to meet, they would get along swimmingly.

>So all those pressures, combined with Cotton’s awesome to watch but painful to live raising of him, makes Hank not only a great father but one of the most unlikely heroes in modern television history
He literally let his wife ruin his kid.

For Gene I was thinking of Tim Schafer
For Tina all of her sense goes out the window when she sees a hot guy. She'll do anything they say.

And she's a shortstack.

That's not how evolution works. Mutations randomly occur in a species, and sometimes those mutations help one individual survive better than their peers, who then gets to pass on their particular mutations to their descendants.

How you raise your kids is entirely a cultural matter.

>How you raise your kids is entirely a cultural matter.
No it fucking isn't you retard all animals have child rearing techniques and they don't even have self awareness.

Not to mention I'm talking about the evolution of the capacity for "negative" emotions not child rearing techniques specifically. So many retards think things like fear and hate are "bad" emotions but that's an evolutionary impossible seeing as the ENTIRE human population contains the capacity for them. You don't know what you're talking about.

bobs burgers is the only show that makes me want to have kids

Want to say Bob, but Hank was just trying to make sure his kid didn't end up a weirdo. Then again, Hank did force his ideals more onto Bobby than anything, while Bob lets his kids be individuals, which I can appreciate. Bob is an only child, though.

>conveniently forgetting episodes like the one where Bobby is a caddy for Mr. Strickland
Bobby has a totally schmoozy personality he will be absolutely fine, probably will do better than Hank.

Something I love is that each Belcher is a frustrated artist of some kind. Bob cooks, Linda loves theatre, Gene has music, and Tina is a writer.

They play with Louise a bit with her drawing more often than the other kids, but I think she's the outlier.

Hank has one kid and his greatest accomplishments were playing football when he was a teenager and becoming the assistant manager of a shitty specialty hardware store.

Bob has 3 kids and started his own business which remains successful in order to support them. He also makes countless, usually unreasonable sacrifices for his kids.

So its Bob.

Hank is an amazing role model, but Bob is a better dad

Bob's got it way rougher. The kids are varying degrees of screeching nightmares and Linda is a lunatic half the time.

>Sometimes good things come from boredom. Like Tina. *high five* And Gene. *high five*

>which remains successful
why do you lie?

What the fuck are YOU talking about? The vast majority of animals don't care about their children at all, mammals, birds, and crocodilians, are pretty much the only animal types that look after their offspring until they're old enough to fend for themselves. And even then I wouldn't call it "rearing" in the human sense.

The ENTIRE human population has the capacity to get heart attacks, user. And like I said, evolution doesn't mean all our traits are directly beneficial. It just means that they haven't killed us before we could have kids.

Restaurants exist in a binary state of open ir closed. His is open so he is successful.

Bob is a lot less stiff in his expectations for his kids so him

Bob can handle and roll with his kids oddities
Hank can't but what he can do is look out for his son when Bobby gets into trouble

But they both love their kids

Linda is the better mother tho

Hank was a complete ignorant asshole a lot of the time. Even when he tried to reach out to Bobby and keep an open mind about his hobbies, a lot of time he'd ruin it anyways (the rose-growing episode)

Is it really measurable? Bob wins in the emotional support department, but is he giving his kids any skills to function in the real world? Gene is borderline retarded and Louise is practically a sociopath, and he doesn't seem to care much if they do well in school.

Hank isn't good at emotionally supporting Bobby, but he teaches Bobby to navigate the unfair adult world and a lot of complex moral situations. I can bet that Bobby is the kind of kid who will probably be ready to rent his own place and move out at 18 under Hank's parenting.

In the world of Bob's Burgers, Belcher Kids would function just fine.

>Linda is the better mother
Oh I doubt anyone would contest that one. Peggy is just fucking awful. Worst character on both shows. Hank and Bobby deserve better

>The ENTIRE human population has the capacity to get heart attacks, user. And like I said, evolution doesn't mean all our traits are directly beneficial. It just means that they haven't killed us before we could have kids.
That isn't even remotely comparable to literal traits, heart attacks are when something goes wrong, they aren't something people evolved to do you idiot. "Negative" emotions are business as usual, heart attacks occur due to unexpected stimuli. And no, if a trait is present throughout the ENTIRE human population, not just that but nearly the ENTIRE mammalian population at least, it's clearly selected for. Like I said it would be evolutionary impossible for such a trait to spread so thoroughly when it has such a massive effect on behaviour. You're arguing that because evolution doesn't always give beneficial traits that it is therefore impossible to judge any evolved trait as beneficial or not but that's simply not true and pretty much the Loki's wager fallacy, there is more than enough evidence to be CERTAIN that "negative" emotions play a vital role in survival and procreation. And the existence of ANY animals who rear children with no self awareness even if there are plenty who don't which proves that culture cannot be ENTIRELY responsible for it as you claim because the former group prove that there can be biological involvement which is usually determinant on the maturity time of the animal which humans are nearly top tier of. For example in terms of time elephants have a similar adolescent period and their young get reared for a similar period. If humans (Or elephants) didn't have biological impulses responsible for child rearing then their young would die because they have such a huge time till they reach maturity.

Yer wrong on every count you don't know nuffin. You have the evolutionary understanding of a third grade student with undeveloped critical thinking skills and you're trying to talk like you know shit.

exactly, they are not weird given their universe.
Bobby on the other hand

If we're talking who handles their children(s') autism better? Bob.

In general? Both are raising their children perfectly given the setting and resources available to them canonically.

Hank was able to build up a nest egg by being unable to impregnate Peggy for several years.

Bob is a small business owner who produces so much testosterone that Linda almost gets pregnant holding his hand.

Bob has much more depleted finances from family day 1.

Louise has some morality issues but quite frankly if he nurtures her business instinct properly she could become highly successful in life

After all the top ranks of corporations are basically filled with sociopaths

I think Hanks a bad father simply because he can't understand the concept that things change, and he's stuck in the 1950s even though he's lie 35. Therefore whenever Bobby wants to do something even slightly effeminate, Hank loses his shit. Bob just has more common sense, in exchange for being surrounded by idiots.

They're both great but I think Bob is more willing to go way out of his comfort zone for his kids.

>Linda is the better mother

But Peggy is the better wife.

>Therefore whenever Bobby wants to do something even slightly effeminate

Bobby goes faggot m8, bobby is a really fucked up kid and his mother it's to blame.

Bob's a little weak on discipline but is generally involved and always supportive. He rarely ever fucks up in any major way where his kids are concerned, and the restaurant thing gives them a structure most don't get.
Hank tries but he simply can't understand his son or adapt his parenting accordingly. He'd be great if his son wasn't Bobby. As he is he's just adequate.

They have direct contact with the day to day operations of running a business. He's teaching them more than most parents ever get the chance to.

Doesn't an episode pretty much say that she wants to take over the episode some day? I can imagine her channeling her more sociopathic tendencies towards a rivalry with another business.

Have you never heard of a business operating at a loss you colossal retard?

in the sense that he provides for his family better, hank. But connecting to his children bob wins.

Its a miracle Hank even became a Dad. So Bob.