>People insist Eggman's real name is Robotnik because of SatAM and Archie
>It isn't even his real name in those versions

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ANp8hut8HSg?t=57s
youtube.com/watch?v=ssIwqt98zOw
youtube.com/watch?v=OG5_sv4wpgA
youtu.be/CvERHiTfx9w
m.fanfiction.net/s/1438409/1/Coming-of-Age
web.archive.org/web/20040124111152/http://www.sega.com/sonic/globalsonic/post_sonicteam.php?article=nakainterview
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Classic Robotnik literally says "Nobody calls me that anymore" in Sonic Generations

Eggman is a stupid name. Nobody will ever take you seriously as a villain with that moniker.

>It isn't even his real name in those versions
You're right, his name is Julian Kintobor.

>Eggman is a stupid name. Nobody will ever take you seriously as a villain with that moniker.

So is Robotnik when you know what it means:
>A serf; a worker, especially one who mindlessly obeys authority.
>worker, workman (someone doing physical work)
>worker
>laborer
>workman
>day laborer
>blue collar worker

Seriously, when you get right down to it, Eggman is the better name simply because it's funnier. Robotnik is just another pun, just not a funny one.

Also
>Implying you're meant to take the character seriously.

It's a much better name than Eggman though.

It really, really isn't. Even the writers for the various incarnations seemed to prefer the Eggman bit, given how they actually worked in several references to his actual name in StC, Archie, etc back in the 90's.

Robotnik was what he was called in Sonic 1, 2 and 3 on Sega Genesis in America.

Personally I like it better. I never thought it was his name, but more of a self-declared title like Dr Doom. The name just points to the fact that he's a mechanical genius whose strength is in making robot armies.

>people don't insist on referring to him only as "Ivo"

His real name is Robotnik. "Eggman" is just a nickname.
It's not just in the American version either. The name Robotnik was made cannon in Japan with Sonic Adventure 2 with the introduction of his grandfather Gerald Robotnik and his cousin Maria Robotnik.

m8 people think his real name is robotnik BECAUSE OF THE GAMES

BECAUSE IT IS HIS REAL NAME

That's only in the English version

Is his name really Eggman in Japanese? I mean, talking direct translation here, does the name they use for him directly translate into 'egg-man' or is it some sorta pun that just doesnt quite make the jump to english?

It's literally エッグマン (Egguman).

>Robotnik
How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man

Yes. Wikipedia lists his name as ドクター・エッグマン which transliterates to Latin as Dokutā Egguman. The general consensus is that it's a Beatles reference.

I prefer Ovi Kintobor.

>Robotnik was what he was called in Sonic 1, 2 and 3 on Sega Genesis in America.
He's actually nameless in those, he's really only called Robotnik in Mean Bean Machine and 3D Blast.

It doesn't translate into "eggman", it IS the english word "eggman".

m8

Robotnik was made canon with the introduction of Maria and Gerald Robotnik. I guess SEGA of Japan just didn’t want to name them Maria Eggman or something bro.

Wasn't that just in the English version?

Reminds me when CD calls Amy, Sally

the first english game to call him Eggman was Adventure on the dreamcast, and even then they still sometimes called him Robotnik. Adventure 2 was the first one where they completely dropped the Robotnik moniker, and even then his family (Gerald and Maria Robotnik) still carry the name Robotnik, even in Japanese, suggesting it's a family name and "Eggman" is a moniker; hernce Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

No.
youtu.be/ANp8hut8HSg?t=57s

Hey.
Have you guys ever stopped to consider the possibility that Sonic is actually the villan of this piece?
I wasn't so inclined at first, because, hey, he's breaking the animals out of their robot shells or something when he attacks them,
sure why not...

But the good kind doctor didn't dissect the animals, or hurt them, and in fact must have gone to GREAT PAINS to ensure the little guys are COMPLETELY INTACT inside their AWESOME ROBOTIC SUITS that Sonic just SMASH CAPITALISM'd On.

I didn't figure out that Sonic is the evil guy until he did the same thing to PLANTS in one of the later sonic games.

I mean, get this. SAINTLY old doc, who's admittedly a bit tubby, that doesn't make him a bad guy,
has given the power of MOVEMENT AND ADVANCED SENSES

TO PLANTS
Do you get that? Theres robots he's made...that are being driven by PLANTS.

I imagine the helpless distress of a sunflower, once blind to the world of animals and ambulatory beings, being BLESSED with new senses and the POWERS OF INDEPENDENT MOVEMENT,
and this fricking mutant bastard hedgehog comes along, mutters something about chaos or something, and SMASHES ITS BEAUTIFUL METAL BODY TO PIECES!

And of course, without their helpful exoskell, the poor plants and animals are helpless to resist his mutant bastard might and are forced to flee.

Sonic is the bad guy here. True story

Robotnik? More like sucks dick!

No. Gerald Robotnik is called Robotnik in all versions of the game. If you look at Dr. Eggman's message to the world in SA2, you can see "Robotnik" among the text floating around behind him.

What if the doctor is just protecting the animals from Sonic?

>people are whiny retards full of double standards

More news at 11.

Have a bat.

Sonic Generations was literally made by an American dev you moron.

NOW TURN THIS INTO A ROGUE THREAD

People don't insist it because of that. Both Sonic Adventure games have him saying his name is Robotnik but Sonic calls him Eggman for some reason. His name is Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

He's never referred to in the JP script of Adventure 1 or 2 as "Robotnik." He has a grandpa and cousin named Robotnik, which could mean that's his name...or that they're from his mother's side of the family...or that Gerald and Maria had their names legally changed once becoming part of a top secret government project.

It's literally just Sega throwing fans a none but refusing to actually commit. The only game since 1998 to even suggest his real name is Robotnik is Adventure 1.

That's just objectively false. Check the credits.

>none
Bone

It was made canon in Sonic Triple Trouble with the zone "Robotnik Winter" being called as such in the Japan version.

If you insist.

Sonic has this weird array of continuities and spinoffs. So people can have different ideas of what Sonic is based on what they did or did not see/play as a child.

If you watched SatAM and played the games as a child, you would probably think that all the SatAM stuff was in line with the games. There were probably a bunch of kids hoping that Sally Acorn or whoever might appear in this new Sonic 3 game they just got for Christmas (Christ, remember when SEGA genesis games were the new thing?).

I never watched any of the Sonic cartoons, so I don't have any of those SatAM characters in my own 'child canon' of sonic, just the games. If you grew up with adventure era sonic, then you would have even different perceptions of what 'sonic prime' is.

The robots are powered by plants, not piloted by them.

I grew up on the comics when I could barely read. My first exposure to Sonic in games was 1 and Adventure 2, and I preferred 1. And yet, my baby brain of about 8 years comprehended that the comics and games weren't the same thing and I never had any hangups over some characters not showing up in other things and having different names.

This has been a thing in pop culture for decades, and yet most kids never got angry about tv and comics Batman being different, or the Flash Gordon pappy loved being different from the movie. It seems like a strangely late 80's/early 90's childhood thing where kids got real pissy about adaptations being different.

Explain the text "ROBOTNIK EMPIRE" that appears when Eggman is giving his speech before blowing up the moon.

>The only game since 1998 to even suggest his real name is Robotnik is Adventure 1.
Also Generations.

>people can have different ideas of what Sonic is
This is one of the reasons Sega isn't able to figure out what the audience wants.

Explain.

Uncanoned by Iizuked. Fuck him.

youtube.com/watch?v=ssIwqt98zOw
youtube.com/watch?v=OG5_sv4wpgA

>If you look at Dr. Eggman's message to the world in SA2, you can see "Robotnik" among the text floating around behind him.
It actually says "Robotnik Empire," and like the Robotnik Winter Zone mentioned in
it doesn't imply that's his name. Shit, in a scene right after he calls it the Eggman Empire instead. The Roman Empire wasn't founded by a guy named Roman. It's just a nod to the American audience.

Right aftet you explain

In the Japan version of Generations, Robotnik isn't even spoken during the reveal. The two Tails just exclaim "Two Eggmans?" in surprise and Classic Eggman replies with "Confusing, isn't it?"

But that's just a theory!

Right after you explain

Hey guys!
Hope you are looking forward to the eventual release!

Right here
In short, the word "Eggman" or "Robotnik" showing up doesn't mean shit. The English localization of Sonic Adventure 1 says his name is Ivo Robotnik. His grandpa's name is Robotnik, which is about as good as a wink. From the Japanese perspective, his name is just Eggman and always has been.

Not really.

Have a bat.

>as good as a wink
It's a confirmation that's his real name. You're the kind of person who won't be satisfied unless he's called something 100% of the time. He's Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. I don't know what else you were hoping to prove here.

What in the fuck is that thing on the left? Is that supposed to be a rhino? Why is it flesh colored?

>It's a confirmation that's his real name.
No? It's confirmation that his grandpa's name is Robotnik. We don't know which side of the family Eggman comes from, so Robotnik could be a birth name or his mother's maiden name. That's not even getting into the possibility that anyone in this lineage ever got a legal name change or bastard children or wives/kids who don't take the father's name.
>You're the kind of person who won't be satisfied unless he's called something 100% of the time.
Strike two. He's Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik in American canon. Unless they say otherwise that's not changing. Insisting on calling him Robotnik but not calling Tails Miles is very silly, though.

>I don't know what else you were hoping to prove here.
That he's just "Dr. Eggman" in Japan. Always was, has been and will be. None of the Japanese dubs have ever even implied otherwise.

When is this faggot going to actually release this shit? I'm tired of waiting.

>Also Generations.
and Chronicles

As soon as some movie exec approaches him for the film rights.

A-any day now...

>tfw Rouge is legit my favorite Sonic character
>tfw Mania-faggotry will ensure that she will never appear in the games ever again
>tfw Mania-faggotry will likely prevent her from appearing in the comics as well

Somehow I don't think Sega gives a fuck about the writers at Bioware's mobile division.

>Eggman
Has the best theme song.
youtu.be/CvERHiTfx9w
>Robotnik
Does not have the best theme song.

Bitch she is literally one of the lead writer's favorite characters (same with his wife, too).
The man wrote a fanfic tragic backstory for her in high school, complete with multiple mentions of her huge titties.
The only thing that stopped him from immediately shipping her with Knuckles was an existing Knuckles girlfriend, and mere months after she was written out he started stoking the fires of the Knuckles-Rouge-Shadow triangle.

Calm yourself.

Eggman is his nickname and Robotnik is his real name.

I didnt realize he was a fucking airplane.

So now that the Archie Sonic Comic are over, will we finally see a videogame adaptation of Sonic SatAM? I want to be able to play as Bunnie Rabbot who uses her ridiculous strength to punch holes in giant flying robots and shit. A Sally Acorn tech expert would be cool too.

Just so long as they don't alter the character designs too much, it'd be freaking amazing.

Oh, I wasn't thinking abou about people getting mad or whatever at the different continuities. I just wanted to say that peoples experiences with the series can vary considerably and possibly lead to assumptions.

Yes, Robotnik is an airplane.

>Bitch she is literally one of the lead writer's favorite characters (same with his wife, too).
[citation needed]

People trot out that same flavor bullshit for Bleach, claiming that Rukia is Kubo's favorite. And yet on the rare occasion she even gets any screen time, she gets stabbed. So excuse me for asking for a bit of proof.

>The man wrote a fanfic tragic backstory for her in high school, complete with multiple mentions of her huge titties.
I'm sorry what

This is just pedantry. Sure there could be name changes or the like, but you know full well they meant to imply Eggman's real name is Robotnik.

m.fanfiction.net/s/1438409/1/Coming-of-Age
>"You've gotten old," Rouge observed bluntly.
>"You've gotten big," Jade replied just as bluntly, helping herself to one of Rouge's drinks. "Don't ever get pregnant or you'll be a perfect sphere."

God if I can find the source again, but he's said that if he could have a third Sonic book, it would be about Team Dark. He's also mentioned having to hold himself back on using them too much. There was an old Sonic Stadium interview where he listed his top 5 and she missed the mark, but I think it's safe to say she's up there.

Reminder that Boom Eggman diddled Amy behind Sonic's back.

>"Don't ever get pregnant or you'll be a perfect sphere."
... Okay, now I outright hope you're bullshitting me. What the fuck.

>thatsmyfetish.jpg

>Game goes out of its way to never imply his name is Robotnik, to the point that the on screen text and words don't match in any version.
>"You're just a pedant for pointing out the Japanese media doesn't even give an inch!"
Says the man arguing about a name the character hasn't used for himself in 20 years.

Like goddamn dude. You know the Japanese Mario Karts have stuff named "Bowser xxx'," right? Yet there's not even one Japanese game that calls him Bowser even in passing. He's Bowser in America, but that doesn't make him Bowser in Japan. Square referencing "Terra" doesn't change that FF6's protagonist is still Tina in Japan. Insomniac including an ancestor of Ratchet's with big fuzzy eyebrows doesn't make the Japanese Groucho Ratchet canon. Leopardon showing up doesn't make Spider-Man Asian.

Like fuck's sake dude, look at yourself. You're taking a reference applied to a different character and saying that means a localization applies to all regions. It's absurd. Hold the phone guys, Mega Man Legends has a reference to Ruby Spears Mega Man, guess Classic was always Mega Man and not Rockman in Japan! People can't put mods in their work, that's insane!

Seriously.
Come on.
He's Eggman in Japan. It's okay.

He wrote terrible, terrible fanfics before working at Archie. Go look up "Sonic Other M" sometime.

>mods
nods

I know that feel.

>Sonic Other M
Oh! I forgot Flynn was writing the IGN book. Well, his dialogue got way less cringey since then, so I guess I can exit panic mode.

Dude does LOVE Team Dark, and his Rouge is awesome. He insinuated that she's an info broker, and that she has had sexy dreams about gems.

Wait, hold on. The arguments used for claiming his real name is Robotnik are:
>It's used in a level name without clear indication that it refers to a character
>A translation that marks the transition by mocking it
>A related but different character being named that
>A line of text in the background with unclear meaning
>An explicitly non-canon game
>And finally, a gag in a western translation that could imply a complete de-canonisation

I'm sorry, those are really stupid arguments.

Here are the agruments in favor of Eggman being his name:
>All major games were created with the intention of his name being Eggman
>Any deviation are either subject of translation, adaptation or intentional non-canon
>Most games before the official Eggman tansition didn't even have text re-affirming it
>Even if we were to pretend these textless/VA-less games actually called him him Robotnik that's still only about ten out of forty which don't primarily use Eggman
>Even the releases of these games come with bios calling him Eggman

Yuji Naka himself has said that, canonically, his real name is Robotnik and "Eggman" is just a nickname. Anyone who tries to say that he's wrong is delusional.

>Sega.com: Did Sonic have a hand in changing Dr. Robotnik's name to Dr. Eggman for the United States games? If so, was he trying to make fun of his nemesis?

>Yuji Naka: To tell the truth, his name has not changed. Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a common name taken after his shape. Possibly, it may have been Sonic, who uttered this alias for the first time! I feel, though, Sonic uses this name affectionately, rather than trying to make fun of him.

web.archive.org/web/20040124111152/http://www.sega.com/sonic/globalsonic/post_sonicteam.php?article=nakainterview

Yeah, but he's still Eggman (real name - Ivo Robotnik) in English versions until Sega says otherwise. Their complete aversion to it kinda spells out their opinion, but still.

The idea that he's Robotnik in Japan is very silly, though.

>Interview for English fans goes with the rationalization of the time.
>No JP interviews ever mention it.
>Games never bring it up again (aside from a bioware game pulling from the comics and a snide quip in an anniversary game).

user, you're taking mid-00s marketing for America and the UK at face value. If they actually gave a shit and wanted to integrate, they would have had him call himself Robotnik and call it the Robotnik Empire.

It was a concession to ease a transition, and one that didn't even exist in the Japanese media. No more, no less.

>Mania-faggotry

Gay.

Have a bat.

>Nevermind that even Sonic himself was designed for American audiences, only original, superior nippon naming matters!
You are an immense faggot.

isn't this the same level of autism like Peach/Princess Toadstool and Bowser/King Koopa bullshit?

Pretty much. Both sides are trying to find obscure references to prove they're right, and taking any proof the other side has and going "n-no that doesn't count because..."

He's called Eggman, some people still like calling him Robotnik. I don't see the problem.

>Acknowledge that how they market/name the character differs by region instead of being so pedantic as to claim that what flies for one flies for all even when there's evidence to the contrary.
>"immense faggot."

Sorry for acknowledging that the brand has differences depending on where you look. I'm such a fucking asshole.

It's literally the same thing, except America got to keep its name for Koopa while Robotnik and Toadstool were quietly phased out after quick attempts to ease the transition.

Like seriously, nobody screeches like this about how Peach is totally Peach Toadstool in Japan.

Eggman's Eggman aka Robotnik in America and the UK. He's just Eggman everywhere else. It's really not a big fucking deal.

I've always accepted that they were King Bowser Koopa and Princess Peach Toadstool for fucking ages. I just assumed, like most people, they had given names and surnames.

He wasn't exactly designed for Americans, it's more like an international appeal. That's why they used simple designs, simple concepts and English words for names like Sonic, Eggman, Tails, Knuckles etc. That way you would get Sonic no matter where you came from.

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of the stuff you see in the cartoons/comics was just made up because the Americans lacked context, not because they wanted it to appeal to Americans (or at least that wasn't the main reason).

>Only Sonic fans get this mad about localized names
Even fucking Yo-Kai Watch fans don't whine about localization to this level. The only people who call him Robotnik anymore are people who grew up in the 90s.

>Only Sonic fans get this mad about localized names
I don't think anyone is mad about it.
I'm annoyed at the autistic fuck trying his damnedest to claim the localized name is canon to Japan for some inane reason.

>nobody is mad
>but I'm mad

>I eat several dicks for breakfast
WOAH, user, no need to tell us all that!
Come on, you know the difference between "mad about x" and "annoyed at y". Don't spin it into bullshit.

>Annoyed is the same thing as mad

Who are you quoting

This. There are actual "people" who think being angry means you are angry

It's splitting hairs, dude.

>"Man I'm so fucking mad people call him Robotnik."
>"Will you stop trying to insist this character's name is the same everywhere for no reason you crazy lil bitch?"
These aren't really the same thing at all and you're creating a very silly argument after complaining about a very silly argument.

>I'm not mad, but I'm mad
>so you're mad
>NO I'M NOT MAD STOP SAYING I'M MAD
>you sound mad
>STOP SAYING I'M MAD I'M NOT FUCKING MAD