Any other Sup Forums examples of people being used to writing episodic stories...

Any other Sup Forums examples of people being used to writing episodic stories, trying to create a serialized arc and failing to fire their guns?

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2017/3/10/14881920/samurai-jack-season-five-genndy-tartakovsky-cartoon-network-adult-swim
twitter.com/AnonBabble

God.

Steven Jewniverse.

90% of cape books for the last two decades

>Steven Universe
>the MCU

Took them 2 seasons to realize their shit fucking sucks and still can't unfuck their fuckups.

gravity falls was great stop being contrarian

The fucking wheel was such a disappointment, the fact that they even spelled it out in the end was also fucking bullshit

They really want to have their cake and eat it too

It's not that Genndy is incapable of doing serials, just look at Sym-Bionic Titan.

It's just that he decided to shoehorn in his imaginary waifu from childhood.

Isn't one of the pixar rules basically"get your ending right, you can fuck everything else but if the ending is god tier no one will give a shit about your fuck ups" everyone in the industry should know that shit

Then why did those guys fail so bad specially genndy he had years to get it right

>his imaginary waifu from childhood
Source?

>It's not that Genndy is incapable of doing serials, just look at Sym-Bionic Titan.
The first few episodes were so terrible, they turned me off the show for good.

It's a Universal thing for some reason. It's The Boy and the Beast became such a shitshow in it's second half

>I will trade my magical life of adventure and my loving bear dad for the first bit of pussy I met and a Japanese salaryman job

It boggles the mind

God, that movie's second-hand sounds so fucking terrible. Why would ANYONE want to subject themself to the rigorous, soul-shattering torture that is the average job-life in Japan over a magical life full of adventure and fun?

The problem with samurai jack is it was conceptualized as an episodic show with the Aku/Jack plot being an excuse to get a samurai somewhere where A) He can cut up robots because bloody fights don't work for what is ostensibly a kids show and B) that is fantastic enough that logic doesn't dictate what they have to do week to week. It was absolutely a matter of function over form and never needed an "epic conclusion" to begin with. The guardian was an out for when the show was inevitably cancelled without a conclusion,

I will say that I'm apparently in the minority of people on Sup Forums for having largely enjoyed S5, but also if you didn't, your clamoring for a conclusion to a show that didn't demand one is what made it happen and you've got no one to blame but yourself.

Sym-Bionic Titan is a much better example of Genndy taking on serialized story because it was conceptualized as one.

I about to watch this is the 2nd half really that bad?

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be an anti-escapism message.

It is.
Basically the first half of the movie is Beardad and Shitson bonding and it's really cute because they're coming to understand each other and Shitson is trying his best and so is Beardad and they're learning from each other

Then out of nowhere for the first time ever he slips back to the normal world, meets a chick with some mundane "MY FAMILY DOESN'T GET IT issues" and then he starts learning to read and studying, while neglecting and getting pissed at Beardad. THEN he runs into SHITTY JAPANESE BETA MALE DAD who he wants to spend time with instead because "oh poor shitty japanese beta male dad didn't want to leave you son but your mother's family drove me away a bloo bloo bloo"

It's all down hill from their ending with Beardad sacrificing himself so that Shitson can have an ordinary Salaryman life.

That's a bullshit excuse and one shit movies always pull. "oh it's MEANT to be anti escapist that's why it stops resonating with you and how Kumatetsu wasn't a REAL father figure and it's important that he go live with his REAL dad who fucking caved under peer pressure and abandoned you"

From what I hear? Yes, yes it is. The main character literally shits on his entire relationship with Best Bear Dad over fucking Japanese cunny, and practically consign himself to an early grave by deciding to stay in Japan with her, over living in a world of mystical adventure and exploration. All in all, the second-half should probably just be ignored in favor of one's own headcanon.

I recall hearing that one of Genndy's dreams/fantasies when he was young was about him and his girlfriend traveling around the world and going on adventures or some shit. I can't verify that, but take it as you will.

I was wrong, it wasn't an imaginary girl but a real girl he had a crush on

theverge.com/2017/3/10/14881920/samurai-jack-season-five-genndy-tartakovsky-cartoon-network-adult-swim

>Disappointing Lore Payoff: The Cartoon

The anti escapism message always falls flat in these types of stories because the magic world is actually real.

Anyone remember Purple Rose of Cairo where the heroine chooses the real actor over the fictional character that escaped from the movie and gets burned by her decision?

There’s something toxic in anti escapism stories in that they present characters that when given the opportunity for adventure and magic will cling to the boring and familiar because they believe what is “real” is right.

Because a story is supposed to have some kind of a point instead of just being an autistic escapistic fantasy(that's literally why people despise fanfiction. But
>your average life sucks lol here look at how cool this guy's magical life is
is kind of a shitty and unmarketable point, so they go with the most obvious alternative
>ok this guy's magical life is great but your avergae life is actually great too, in fact, it's SO great that his guy chooses it over his magical life, now get back to work

Yeah. Can you imagine a story where a soldier or a firefighter realizes he needs to get a real job?

When you put it that way it sounds really damn insidious.

>Because a story is supposed to have some kind of a point
A good story would use fictitious account to be a starting point to think about stuff of your own.

To blatantly preach using fictitious account of things that never happened to people who aren't real is a fool's errant. Everyone would just shrug it off because fiction is not an argument.

That doesn't make it any better at ALL. In fact, I'd much prefer the first point than the bullshit drivel that they gave us instead. NOBODY wants a crushing job-life that tears you down constantly, with both your bosses and co-workers shitting on you, and near-mindbreaking work hours tearing away at your sanity until either you die from the stress of it all, or you snap and shoot up a school.

>a crushing job-life that tears you down constantly, with both your bosses and co-workers shitting on you, and near-mindbreaking work hours tearing away at your sanity until either you die from the stress of it all, or you snap and shoot up a school.
I don't think that's what the movie is trying to imply.

Doesn't matter if it wasn't. That's the fate that awaits Kyuta for choosing the pussy over adventuring in lands uncharted and discovering things that would make every scientist and explorer jealous. Now he's doomed to a Japanese Salayryman job forevermore, and will probably die an early death.

But how is "thinking about stuff on your own" based on fictitious account really any different from using fictitious account as an argument?

Thanks guess i'll still watch it, I have a soft spot for teacher/student relantionships

Because you end up thinking of similar real things and draw your own conclusions. As opposed to author beating you over head with "Do this, because I said so"

>Because you end up thinking of similar real things and draw your own conclusions.
But this is taking Author's Death to a level where the events of the story might not even matter as long as you have your own view on its themes.

Samurai Jack failed because Genndy didn't understand pacing and realized to late he introduced too many plot points in a limited amount of time.

Gravity Falls failed because after the big twist the writers mainly focused on they called quits and just tried to get everything over with.

In a way, yes. Fiction's role is to empotionally stimulate you and make you think.

Attempt to do something else and you get boring and uncompelling tripe.

This is where people like Doomfags come from

He is still obviously maduring as a writer, cut him some slack. But I believe he is going to make another complete retool soon.