Gay Iceman Cancelled

Straight Bobby Sells better.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mstohl/status/943257627500298240
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_Resentment
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Straight or gay, Bobby would have never sold an ongoing

Bobby sucks no matter what. And his story was stupid as fuck

Someone still uses 'hella' in conversation?

Californian here
It's our local slang, sadly

Bobby could have been gay it would have been fine. the problem was that they made him an insufferable little faggot, and not just a character who was also gay. The minute he turned gay he became a queenie little prick and started talking in that same word dense sitcom language that all the sjw marvel writers do.
They need to stop hiring film school grads who really want TV writing jobs.

how long before marvel just stops making comics and focuses only on movies?

>Dear everyone,

>Yup. Iceman is coming to a close. I was supremely bummed out, but was given plenty of notice (& even a hail mary or two). Everyone @ Marvel has been super supportive, but at the end of the day, solo X-titles are a hard sell for retailers...

>There's part of me that wants to suggest fans do a change.org campaign, or rally by hella ordering the first collected edition, but i've had the ride of my life, and the ending planned feels ~so~ good (i've known it sonce issue one). This isn't my end @ Marvel, so maybe we accept, and learn to fight passionately about the things we love? I just don't want to feel cynical--apathy will ruin everything. All my love to folks who read the book. You dudes, dudettes, & all inbetween are sososososo rad. I gave the book everything and i don't reget anything.

Which fucking part of California are you from? I haven't heard that shit for years, probably since high school.

>solo X-titles are a hard sell for retailers...
I'm sure it had nothing to do with Ice Man's sudden shift in sexual identity. Was it even any good? Was the writing or art decent at the very least?

>dudes, dudettes, & (((all inbetween)))
>shirt in profile pic reads, "The future is female"
>book cancelled
really activates the old almonds

Fremont

>All these cancellations and Marvel happenings today
Guys, I'm scared. Did The Mouse finally step in?

One issue was decent but it quickly went to shit.
It's laughably bad though. Especially the issue where he comes out as gay to his parents.

Go away, Sup Forums... I mean, D&C

The book wasn't that hot, but way to generalize about entire categories of people

Hm perhaps its more a San Fransico/Jose kinda thing. I'm over by Long Beach and don't here anyone saying hella.

>demand fans rally
what fans?

Jesus, you could at least try to have the characters speak like humans.

I'm tweaking my almonds right now, in fact.

Seems like a pretty decent guy though regardless of his proclivities. I have no interest in the book he was writing and haven't read anything else by him but thats a nice letter as well, sure as hell better than the usual tweet'n'screech

He actually writes in that condescending millennial speak where everything is in the form of a question? He really is just as obnoxious as the characters he writes?

He said "a part of him wants to" , then goes to explain why he's ok with it.

why are you trying so very hard to be a retard?

what fans tho?

New EIC Toshida is throwing out the trash

Gay Iceman is dead and that's wonderful

yes the book didn't sell well, wtf is your point?

on second thought, why am I posting in a thread about a comic i barely even knew existed.

Icemans solo is dead, they won't re-retcon away his gay right away. It'll be quietly dropped over several years

Can't really blame him since Marvel barely advertised this, but a Iceman solo was never going to go viral.

Least with a straight Bobby we could have had some fun adventures superheroing instead of every issue turning into 'Have we reminded you today that we made Iceman gay? Because we totally have'

let meget this straight
so the book got cancelled because it had no fans
yet he thought about getting the fans that didnt exist to rally, the fans that if they would have existed in the first place would have bought the comic making rallying pointless because it would have never been cancelled
do marvel writers think there are ten million people pirating everything they write or thatminoritiesorganize poverty clubs in wich they share the same comic between hundreds of people?
becausethis is pretty much as far as you can be disconnected from reality without entering surrealism

I've noticed it making a comeback in New Orleans too.

Hopefully. If a book is mediocre-to-terrible and sells like shit, it should not be kept afloat just because it's "important".

Who are you and why are you taking this thread so personally?

I kinda wonder if at times Sina Grace was trying to outBendis Bendis in the category of writing characters like you've never spoken to another human a day in your life

Does it hurt your feelings?

none of this shit sells, and it never will

Also, apparently America Chavez is being cancelled too.

So what number does that bring us to?

Confirmed cancelled
>Hawkeye
>Generation X
>Gwenpool
>Iceman

Rumored/Not showing up in solicits
>America
>Luke Cage
>Defenders
>Guardians of the Galaxy

Confirmed not cancelled
>Captain Marvel

fpbp

They toss X-Men ongoings every so often and they always fail except Wolverine.

I live in SoCal and while it's not coming back in my region I use it on occasion because I like the way it sounds. I also says hells sometimes, though usually just hells yeah.

Jesus Christ does this guy have some girly handwriting

>Guardians of the Galaxy and the Defenders
>rumored
Pick one

Gwenpool is being cancelled? Aw, I actually kind of liked that one.

>Mutie scums
>Humans
Delet this

Connecticut, i've heard it a few timrs in the last year

Only real loss here is Gwenpool. Good riddance to the rest of the shit.

This is a NorCal thing
We call people faggots for saying this shit in SoCal

>Captain marvel isn't cancelled
Are you absolutely sure? Seriously, I want to know the answer.

Probably making room for reintroducing characters they didn't use because of their unofficial blacklisting.

It's a Norcal thing. AKA worst Cal.

twitter.com/mstohl/status/943257627500298240

Guardians isn't cancelled its just being replaced with the infinity stones event

Probably just being relaunched and renumbered again. Marvel has done this what, eight times in the past decade and it still hasn't stuck?

>GET READY FOR "THE AMAZING CAPTAIN MARVEL #1!"

pretty much this

To make a character like Iceman interesting, the author in my opinion would have to present him as a man with Magneto-strength power (which he has) coming out of his shell with an ambition and drive to match his power.
If some event or something made him shake off his "I'm just another dude" beliefs to strive for something worthy and huge, he'd be compelling.

Down to earth characters with massive power ability just doesn't fucking work. DC has tried this over and over and failed.

>skinny
>no muscle definition
>balding
>the future is female
>writes like a girl
Jesus Fucking Christ how does a man fail so hard?
If that is not a prime example of a soyboy I don't know what is.

Maybe they're going to soft reboot her.

Yup, that's what did it lol

To be fair, he's not wrong. There's a reason why there aren't a lot of X-solo series that don't involve Wolverine.

Dude no one cared about him in the first place.

He probably wasn't trying to rally fans of the comic, he was trying to rally people Outraged By Marvel Daring to Cancel an Ongoing Starring an Oppressed [insert demographic here] in the hopes that the sheer volume of screeching would make Marvel worry that their "Of The Body" card was about to get torn up and they'd save the book, not because it sells, but because it's too symbolic for them to cancel.

Seriously, that's the sort of thinking that goes on. Over on io9 (yes, I know, but I look with an adblocker occasionally to rubberneck at how bad they are, and no, I'm not linking) there's a serious discussion in the comments of the article on America's cancellation about how the whole thing is the fault of Marvel not pushing the character and book enough, and absolutely NOTHING regarding the fact that both the character and the book (and the writer) are shit. Because it stars [insert demographic here], and that means it's automatically good.

The School of Resentment marches on. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_Resentment

>tfw no six story line with his parents trying to get bobby into elocution lessons to cure him of his horrific speech impediment

Magneto was great and only canceled because of Secret Wars.

I mean... Gambit had a long run, so did Bishop, but that was long ago. Gambit still got another a few years ago. That kid Cyclops got a run, and while I heard it was actually good, it's one o those characters no one ever asked for.

He wasn’t generalizing. Bobby was legitimately being a faggot

To be fair, if you want an X-solo to at least work, it's gotta involve a character who can function as more than just an X-Man otherwise you're just gonna hit redundancy. It's the reason why characters like Wolverine or Cable can carry a solo while characters like Bobby, Jean or Cyclops can't

This is so patronizing in every conceivable way

>Straight Bobby Sells better.

Since when?

Gay Bobby would've sold better if they'd made him hotter or picked a better looking character in the first place to make gay. He became a walking stereotype too on top of already not being fanservice-worthy and on top of generally being lame. No self respecting homo bought this shit and Bobby is too white and milquetoast for the tumblr crowd too. It's no wonder it sold like ass.

It should also be noted that the young man standing next to Bobby Drake is NOT young, time-displaced Bobby Drake, but is acutally Kitty fucking Pryde.

Who could provide the current. We need a marvel villain with electricity powers to go up against young jean with the sexuality of the marvel universe in the balance.

Would have fooled me.

>electricity powers
It's perfect because they could check another diversity box!

>The minute he turned gay he became a queenie little prick and started talking in that same word dense sitcom language that all the sjw marvel writers do
how so? i don't read this comic so i wouldn't know

He's doing precisely the opposite you easily triggered, unbelievable idiot.

He's against gay people being portrayed as raving YASS queens who can't behave like actual goddamned adults.

The minute Iceman was gaywashed, he stopped acting like how Iceman has acted since the 60's and became a stereotypical crazy queen. That's what was wrong with all of this.

>a fellow fremontfag

>Electro wakes up in a strange world where gay is normal, only to find out that earth's sexualities were tampered with by Young Jean Grey, who has taken the name of The Flaming Queen. Now allied with Iceman, the last straight man on earth battles for heterosexuality, and the future of the human race!

I'm sure someone could do better.

Remember when Solo X-Men titles weren’t a hard sell

They are having a relaunch after their Thanos Infinity War event.

They are just scrapping most of the unsuccessful title (save for a few) to make way for more nostalgia pandering titles.

it's Bay Area. all slang originates from here.

Why would Electro battle for heterosexuality? Dude's bi.

At least if he was straight he wouldn't have gotten a dick up his ass.

What the fuck is he doing writing that? It was just an ongoing that ran for less than a year and got what, 10 issues? He's acting like ASM just got cancelled.

Idiot

>America cancelled
>Iceman cancelled

Is C.B. saving Marvel? Is he our shining hope?

Not that user, but he was honestly depicted as a really cruel and nasty person. He’s shown taunting his parents at every turn (who’s greatest flaw was struggling to relate to their only son, they were never once depicted as hateful people), he mentions he’s gay at least once an issue, usually every other page, he’s catty, conniving, and malicious throughout the entirety of the run, and all of his dialogue is in this inane text speech or desperate hip lingo that marvel actually thinks millennials find relatable

Yeah, but now with the new editor-in-chief, there might actually be some talent behind it.

>'Have we reminded you today that we made Iceman gay? Because we totally have'
This guy can't even have cool action scene without inserting his retarded woke millenial dialogue.

Since when?

>looks like my badly written comic spawned from one of the worst character assassinations in recent memory sold so badly it got cancelled
>i wish we could sign a petition or something

Maybe if you weren't such a shit writer it might've lasted a little longer. Even Kate Leth knows the tumblr crowd don't buy Big 2 comics.

God, I hope so.

>who’s greatest flaw was struggling to relate to their only son, they were never once depicted as hateful people
Eh, Bobby's relationship with his parents has always been kinda strained and they've said some racist shit in the past.

Since 2004 in Marvel Knights Spider-Man. The page after this panel implied he asked her to turn into Spider-Man.

jesus, I cringed when I read that just now.

haha amazing

now that i look closer, this small guy does seem to have tits

>Large russian woman dressed as Spider-Man domming Electro

She's a shapeshifting prostitute.

Bobby could have been gay and would have sold a slight bit better if they hadn't made him a stereotypical gay man. They took a guy who acted in a particular way and had his own personality and made him really super gay thinking being gay is a form of personality in and of itself.

>fun adventures superheroing
Yeah, like Iceman discovering that he is in fact really powerfull.
Nah, straight or gay, this character is a dead end, nobody knows what to do with him

>Down to earth characters with massive power ability just doesn't fucking work. DC has tried this over and over and failed.
What the fuck do you think superman is?

>Straight Bobby Sells better.
Well yeah but I think a bigger problem was as the guy said in the leter, solo x men rarely sell.

That's what marvel knows.
Hence why riri has a huge ass afro while wearing a tight ass helmet.

Based Akira Yoshida