X-Men: Grand Design

Storytiming Ed Piskor's attempt at recapping the X-Men's history. Apparently this is gonna be a trilogy of series, so I imagine the first set will be limited in what they cover.

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Classic Erik, that's our guy!

>Issue one ends at the forming of the O5.
>Issue 2 will finish the O5.
>Issue 3 and 4 are ANAD up to somewhere in the early '80s I think
>Issue 5 and 6 go up to the end of Claremont's run.
Some poster on CBR. Sounds about right, though.

Xavier really got around

Bless you OP, this issue is really long

Double issue, so we're almost done

This was some good fun shit. One of the better recaps of X-men and I like the small changes to make the story flow better.

Great work OP, thanks for the storytime

Noice. I would storytime myself, if I had time.
Some changes I like, some I don't.
He messed up Xavier's storyline a little, and shouldn't have deleted Lucifer, if he's going to bring Mutant Master. Originally, Xavier was venturing in the middle east, where he met Shadow King, Lucifer and Magneto, which prompted him to start X-Men. Of course, Piskor had to add chess, of course, but at least he didn't use the Magneto Testament retcon, and didn't make Mags a kraut, keeping him a slav.

The TPB version will have X-Men #1 recolored by Piskor, plus some extras like pic related. I hope it will be ripped as well

Next issue will come in 2 weeks

and then we will have to wait till another december for issue #3, which will probably be published Grand Design II #1, because "muh #1"

Who is the character next to Mar Vell, on the right?

Mutant Master. Alien leader of Factor Three, whose members was Blob, Vanisher and Changeling if I remember correctly. Also, Ogre and Banshee were agents of F3, and Ogre's storyline continued 40 years later in Thunderbolts

you have everything explained there

>X,MAN
hehe

>a cloud that looks like Galactus
kek
but wasn't Scott already an X-Man when Galactus came?

I know is a retelling, but Xavier knew Moira and had to leave her because of the Korean war

yup, there are many inconsistencies like that, sadly

Thankfully, they didn't retcon namor during the no x-men years

All the changes in the series are intentional, though.

Not to mention that Charles lost his legs by fighting some demon alien
I think this is the first 616 comic book saying otherwise

Yup, but he messes up a little his own story. He has Xavier venturing to arab countries, go back, and travel again, which feels redundant

>that submariner picture
kek

Piskor has an insane work ethic, iirc he's almost done with the thing.

it's a nice throwback to how

thing is, it's already solicited as 2 issues per year

*it's a nice throwback to how Namor was drawn in the 50s, sorry had autopost

He has great work ethic but I think I read him saying that he's still working on the second one.
He's of course working on other projects at the same time.

Oh, thanks, just saw it
I'm not familiar with the 50 first issues of UXM

December 8th.
>Pencilled page 133 of 241. It’s a marathon, not a sprint, muh fugga.
At least he's pencilled over half of it, though.

They aren't actually as bad as people make them out to be. First 12 issues establish classic X-men villains, like Mags & Brotherhood, Juggernaut, Blob, Sentinels. Then after Steranko took over for a short time, and redesigned the X-Men logo into the one we all know today, there was great Neal Adams era.

The only truly weak issues were between Kirby and Steranko, albeit there were still some gems like Don Heck doing art

>616
Bravo.

But... Xavier doesn't have TK.

He's projecting the image of a glass of water to Erik

I don't think they ever actually said it was in 616, right? I think he's just doing his own thing.

>Magnus

Fuck off with that awful name. Erik or nothing

He was Magnus long before he became Erik

What exactly were the effects? Cancer?

Thanks user, thjis was actually great

It's not 616, a bunch of the stuff in this comic doesn't line up with previous stories.
I'm pretty sure Xavier could still walk when he fathered David, for example.

Max Eisenhardt is still canon

And the biggest one is Xavier using the 90's chair instead of the regular wheelchair. And I think Master Man was never bionic.

So yeah, I do think this is its own thing, which is fine.

Don't remind us

Piskor is taking intentional liberties with some things.

wow, this is actually very good! I wish marvel had this guy make more of this kind of comics

Finally....Somebody referencing that brain damage. His mutant on and off power switch has been permanently flipped

...and Jack o' Diamonds, Jack Winters who will influence the design of Emma Frost, both in name and secondary power.

Yes, Scott is banging a female version of his original villain.

>tfw you won't be able to participate in the thread bc you won't be able to make it to the LCS until later and the thread'll be dead then

is this as good as i want it to be? the preview showing Uatu narrates the captions was fucking genius

he won't do anything he doesn't want to.
this was his dream project

I'm really surprised that no one bothered to revive some of the silver age X-Men villains. They might not have been the best, but in capable hands they would be cool enough to be part of the rogue gallery

The last year or so of the original run is criminally underrated.

It's really nice. Also, don't worry, I'll keep bumping in case something bad happens

The Thomas/Adams stuff right? it's pretty good, the stories are meh but Adams is murdering it.

i don't have any pages from his run though so enjoy Sternako.

It's because of the reprint meme. Neal Adams was stellar. Stan Lee for all his douchery, believed in the x-men and he fought for it to not be cancelled. Ultimately, Goodman saw the number of the x-men and decided that they are good enough to be in print, but not enough to have new stories.

What makes it even funnier is the fact that X-Men were selling almost the same as The Avengers, ie. around 200k units
comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata.html

There is something funny that the x-men always had the best artists in the industry. After Kirby, there was pretty popular romance artist Werner Roth, after him Ross Andru, Don Heck, Steranko, Windsor Barry-Smith (his earliest works), Neal Adams, Buscema. After the return from limbo, Cockrum, Byrne, Paul Smith

also Tony DeZuniga, who was 100% a DC guy, drew few issues of X-Men as well

How did he got away from this?

yeah when i was reading them it blew my mind seeing that early BWS

his early stuff is super kirby and i love it

So is Namor's invasion a Golden Age story? bc i always assumed it was an early FF i never read