ITT: Sup Forums blunders

So Butt Ugly Martians was supposed to be the next big thing
youtube.com/watch?v=RlmA3VFHmZI
youtube.com/watch?v=1XJMLPjP5AQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mgmUBzKT2RU

>For the Butt-Uglies team, success will only truly have arrived if children run around shouting "let's get ugly" and singing the theme song, which Schultz, putting on his song-writer's straw hat, has composed: "We are the Martians, the Butt-Ugly Martians ... We don't want to conquer earth, we just want to fill our girth." If that works, a new world of cartoon characters will have established itself. If it doesn't, then presumably there will be no Butts.

theguardian.com/media/2001/feb/19/broadcasting.g2
independent.co.uk/news/business/news/butt-ugly-martians-fall-to-earth-as-just-calls-administrators-5362425.html
citywire.co.uk/money/just-group-does-handsomely-out-of-ugly-martians/a223989

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/business/news/butt-ugly-company-just-got-a-lot-uglier-343207.html
accountancyage.com/aa/news/1774636/online-abuse-marks-butt-ugly-martians-fallout
youtube.com/watch?v=ACAw5nlKvOM
awn.com/news/butt-ugly-martians-have-universal-appeal
groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Butt$20Ugly$20Martians/alt.tv.reboot/5hq936VpmVQ/OxMeJj8tAdMJ
groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Butt$20Ugly$20Martians/rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc/PUwaOjYa_MM/yt2qV-3PGAMJ
groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Butt$20Ugly$20Martians/alt.tv.nickelodeon/pDL0r9XZ1LY/4oZgYioW4wIJ
groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Butt$20Ugly$20Martians/alt.tv.nickelodeon/B5U55n4vRhA/k4oeDrBbZFwJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The problem was the CGI was ugly but the martians werent ugly enough, to the point they looked boring as fuck. They shouldve made them look more like pic related

And then the company that owned it had allegations for fraud and intimidation
independent.co.uk/news/business/news/butt-ugly-company-just-got-a-lot-uglier-343207.html

>Just Group owned the rights to cartoon characters the Butt Ugly Martians, and
the fallout from the group’s insolvency has led to unpleasant spats.
>Hardy holds a power of attorney over Think Entertainment, a company formed in
2004 as part of a restructuring of Just Group, while Jones was involved in a
rescue plan that attempted to revive the company in 2002.
>Hardy called Jones a ‘lying scumbag’ on bulletin boards, John said. ‘What
language is [this] for someone holding a power of attorney?’ John said.

accountancyage.com/aa/news/1774636/online-abuse-marks-butt-ugly-martians-fallout

The show lasted only one season and was quickly pulled by Nickelodeon
The Universal movie got cancelled
This happened
youtube.com/watch?v=ACAw5nlKvOM

Holy shit, this was supposed to get a universal film?

>Universal Studios, Just Group, Mike Young Productions and DCDC have entered into a broad arrangement for BUTT-UGLY MARTIANS, the new CGI-animated action-adventure-comedy TV series, which debuted on the U.K. channel CITV in February 2001. The series, backed by a list of licensees including Hasbro and Scholastic, will premiere on Nickelodeon in the U.S. in early 2002 and has begun debuting on other children's outlets around the world. Under the terms of the arrangement, Universal Studios will have all feature film rights together with the associated consumer products representation, worldwide home video distribution rights (excluding the U.K. and Germany), the right to finance and produce additional television episodes and theme park rights. Universal Pictures Franchise Development together with Just Group will coordinate and manage the property. BUTT-UGLY MARTIANS is set in the year 2053 and features three Martian heroes who are sent to planet Earth by the evil Emperor Bog with a mission to invade. There's just one thing: they really have no intention of taking over! In fact, they fought for the assignment because they wanted to experience Earth's great pop culture of fast food, video games and TV. The Butt-Ugly's new mission includes keeping their Earth friends safe from other space invaders and evading Emperor Bog by sending phony taped progress reports of themselves "conquering" the planet. BUTT-UGLY MARTIANS is a Just Entertainment production in association with Mike Young Productions and DCDC in Hong Kong.

awn.com/news/butt-ugly-martians-have-universal-appeal

Read this 12-13 years ago on the Invader Zim page:

>We are the fagots [sic] the butt ugly fagots
>We are the fagots the butt ugly fagots

>We don't really want a war
>Because we are sissy fags
>We don't want to conquer Earth
>Because we are sissy fags

>If you try to watch too far
>You will see how gay we are

>BK We stink BK We stink BK we stink BK We stink

They probably didn't want the Martians to look intimidating for literal first graders

Literally 90% of ninja turtle characters looked even weirder and more grotesque and kids loved it. They wanted to treat kids like pussies and it bite them in the ass because they looked boring as shit.

>In a parallel universe TMNT faded into obscurity after the first show and BUM became popular
>This is the same universe where Power Rangers ended after the third season and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills has continued success

>Checked Fireden
>See this

Holy. Shit. Butt Ugly Martians. That's something I haven't thought about in forever. I remember I either saw the show when it was on TV (BTW what channel was in on here in the US?) or I rented a VHS tape from somewhere. I also remember I was in an airport gift shop in 2006 and saw some of the show's merch still on sale.

kek
groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Butt$20Ugly$20Martians/alt.tv.reboot/5hq936VpmVQ/OxMeJj8tAdMJ
groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Butt$20Ugly$20Martians/rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc/PUwaOjYa_MM/yt2qV-3PGAMJ
groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Butt$20Ugly$20Martians/alt.tv.nickelodeon/pDL0r9XZ1LY/4oZgYioW4wIJ
groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Butt$20Ugly$20Martians/alt.tv.nickelodeon/B5U55n4vRhA/k4oeDrBbZFwJ

How would you reboot BUM?

>restructuring of Just Group
>JUST Group

i never thought i was going to find a worst timeline.
thanks for reassuring me that we don't live in the worst possible timeline

Isn't this the show they canceled Invader Zim for?

Butt Ugly Martians died before Zim ended

>Release
>January 26 – March 4, 2001
>The company, which was also hoping to relaunch the puppet stars Pinky and Perky, ran into trouble in May last year, as it pumped money into Butt Ugly Martians, but was left with a funding gap until merchandising revenues from the show came on tap.
>In 18 months from March 2000, Just spent £21m from two fundraisings, as well as its £4m overdraft. In August, Just ditched its co-founder and chief executive, Wilf Shorrocks, after a disagreement over accounting practices, and said it would make a "substantial" loss in the year ended 30 April 2001.
>You can't even find all the episodes online
JUST

Why did so many people think this turd was going to be successful?

They probably thought it'd be the new TMNT (merchandising wise and how the characters try to go for the 90's lingo instead of the 80's) and that the CG still looked impressive
Jimmy Neutron literally came out the same year and looked 5x better

Even as a six year old I thought this was retarded.

So is Pan gonna make a video on this?

fuck off with your eceleb bullshit

>3 aliens sent to conquer Earth
>Like it instead and rebel
This show is just a slightly better Steven Univese

Was it really that bad?