What made the beast such a good villain?

What made the beast such a good villain?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AZUH_ZGI1U8
youtube.com/watch?v=WlIJBWBIGS4
youtube.com/watch?v=AD4KCfQC0FM
youtube.com/watch?v=XHERW5GT_Tk
youtube.com/watch?v=Sb1C-_uDUWw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The sheer mystery of him. You know enough about him to understand that he's a threat, but not enough to be underwhelmed.

I've always been a sucker for the villains that appear to be simply forces of nature beyond full understanding.

>simple but yet intimidating design
>the way he moves
>the mystery of him
>his voice ((which is spectacular))
>how he deceives and forces people to do his bidding

that he tricked people into believing they were keeping the soul of their loved ones alive, but really they were keeping his own soul alive, that is quite the mind fuck

All of this along with the fact that he's basically satan

I see him more as some tricky Fey creature, to be honest.

I would also include the fact that he wasn't some big over the top "I'll take over the world and destroy you hero" type villain who's only revealed at the end. He's omnipresent throughout the series, close enough to watch you but far enough that you can't reach him. His haunting also helps.
youtube.com/watch?v=AZUH_ZGI1U8
He's also the sort of villain who as a kid, one could imagine hiding in the forest, creeping ready to strike at any moment. He was also used sparingly enough so that he kept a shroud of mystery, a feeling that he was truly unstoppable or otherworldly.

Here's the longer version of the song
youtube.com/watch?v=WlIJBWBIGS4

>no mention of what movie or show what the character is from

why do people do this

yadda yadda learn to google yadda yadda

it's from Over The Garden Wall

As user said It's a good series, pretty short but complete with fun but not irritating songs and a child character who isn't garbage, one best watched in October-early November if you really want that fall vibe.

They literally spell it out in the series.

He lurks in the unknown (you don't know what he is)
He lies, and he'll get you if your will and health spoil (his only power over you is your own self-defeatism and, unfortunately, factors out of your control like health)

He's death, but he's not the grim reaper; he takes people who've given up on life or are too frail to live.

When Wirt realizes this, the Beast loses all power over him.

He wasn't cartoonishly evil. He was doing what he did not out of malice, but to survive.

Sometimes it's obscure but this time the first result on Google for "the beast villain" gives you the answer.

The lyrics in the song posted here
also spells things out, albeit in a bit more of a haunting fashion

youtube.com/watch?v=AD4KCfQC0FM

The only problem with him is that the song he sings in the earlier episodes is a bit silly. He should have sung Come Wayward Souls at those parts.

I think it would've been a misstep to use Come Wayward Souls that early on in the series, it would've made things too dark at the beginning as opposed to the more thematically appropriate slow descent into the unknown and finally the triumph.

I always saw him as a physical embodiment of suicide

Those songs are actually kinda dark when you know the context and can hear the full lyrics, all his songs are basically telling people that things are easier if you just die.

yeah makes sense desu

>I always saw him as a physical embodiment of suicide
How so?

It's just the melody that I find silly, though that was probably intentional.

It's left open enough that it can effect a lot of people. Basically he's mysterious enough that it allows you to project what you might most fear or find interesting about his character or what he represents. All that's really known is that he wears you down, with seemingly no way of stopping you, till you give in, then he takes you. It could represent a lot of thing, depression, suicide, satan, an ethereal or cruel deity, death, a personification of loss of innocence or hope/dreams, really there's a lot you could work with that's plausible and whatever you find most interesting is what you'll most likely stick with making it the best possible outcome for you. Considering the kids were in some purgatory many of these interpretations seem more plausible as well It's sort of like how in some horror movies the creature is always more scary before the reveal, because whatever you come up with is tailor fit to you. The beast's nature allows him to gain this property. The fact that they never truly explain it I think is a plus.
Could be to lull you into a false sense of security, or so that you underestimate or misunderstand him

As an aside, I really love this series' soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=XHERW5GT_Tk

so is he a wendigo

What the fuck? He's not some sort of cannibal or anything

Germans make the best villains
youtube.com/watch?v=Sb1C-_uDUWw

>Lantern (his soul) is fuelled by edelwood, edelwood being people who have "lost hope"
>All his songs revolve around the idea that when life gets too tough, you should just "join the forest/submit to the soil of the earth"
>His body is made up of dozens of edelwood tree faces, considering the fuel to his soul implying he kind of is just an amalgamation of lost souls who lost hope
It's subtle but suicide is a big theme of his character.

> the beast
> good villain

>The Beast
>not a good villain
Fuck off.

Samuel Ramey voice was great

>The only problem with him is that the song he sings in the earlier episodes is a bit silly.

I don't remember him singing a song other than Come Wayward Souls. Have a link?

In the art book, Pat McHale implies that the Beast was based at least partly on the Judeo-Christian devil.

OH POTATOES AND MOLASSES

HERE ON Sup Forums WE LOVE THICC ASSES

You are right, user.

Wasn't he called Old Scratch at one point in pre-production?

el monstruo

Giving up and accepting death certainly (and yea I guess that gets pretty close to the whole suicide angle) but I don't think he has themes of wanting to die. It's not a "this is so unbearable not dealing with it would be better" its a coercion to stop helping yourself and accept whats coming.

I do think it's a valid (and interesting) take, but I don't think it was intended and I don't personally share it.

Considering the context this happens in, Wart and his brother drowned and were in the hospital when they woke up after escaping the unknown, that makes sense though I imagine a feeling of giving up and general hopelessness is enough for the best to take you, those terms are general enough to include things like suicide.

>intent
>presence
>design
>mysterious
>doesn't shove "funny" one-liners while talking