Is 16 issues a respectable number in modern times?

Is 16 issues a respectable number in modern times?

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2013/03/13/dc-comics-cancels-insurgent-three-issues-in/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For SJW shit? Yes. Most only last six to twelve issues.

Any Modern Marvel title lasting longer than a calender year is a miracle...

Carol can't even muster 12 issues without a renumbering or hiatus

>for anything that hasn't had at least 2 feature film adaptations or a succesful cartoon
FTFY
And it's not necessarily synergy, it's just oure popularity.

For a Marvel comic yea
I bet they throw parties whenever a book makes it past 12

For Marvel it's downright impressive. The worst Rebirth book still reached 18.

I wish they get rid of the tumor named Kate that's killing Hawkeye.

Guess so

inb4 no one cares about carol comics even after the movie.

They kept all the Rebirth stuff alive that long tho. Cyborg and Blue Beetle both ended around that but got bonus arcs to reach a bigger number

Eh, pretty much everything gets a bump and the YASSS KWEENing going on for that is gonna be insane.

So she's writing the Captain Marvel & Spider-Woman finally get gay married special, right?

Yes?

For the big 2 especially anything past 6-12 issues is impressive. Vibe got cancelled at 10, DC cancelled one new 52 book at 3 issues, as in it didn't even finish.
Only the same few dozen characters from both are popular enough to either hold a book or be on a team for 18+ issues and have respectable sales.

>DC cancelled one new 52 book at 3 issues, as in it didn't even finish.
The Vigilante book? It wasn't New52, as far as I remember.

Smaller publishers are allowed to have shittier sales.
Like Animosity at Aftershock got 2 spin offs and was one of the more better selling books but it was selling like 10k at most.

And at image 10k is where you want to be minimum. So if you have that and your artist doesn't get pulled away by something you can go on for however long you want. But artists can and do get pulled away, hence why so many image books go on haitus with decent sales.

The biggest problem with current Hawkeye is that it's not Fraction's run. If he's not on the book nobody cares.

No, it was some obscure team or concept nobody cared about, not even me, which is why I can't recall the name.
Vigilante was allowed to finish in trade format.

In general, not even. Issues are short as shit these days. But for THIS, I'd say 16 is too many

Dammit user, now I want to know what that book was!

Yes, Nova got 6 or 7

>implying that writing comics in this day and age can be respectable

I'm still fucking mad

Honestly this. Marvel has always had a shit time starting new comics or characters, SJW's or no. All of their new characters that were successful werent made by writers in-house. See:komala, x-23, and miles.

Shit they cant even keep their old characters from beong retarded. I blame civil war 1 and OMD

Insurgent.

bleedingcool.com/2013/03/13/dc-comics-cancels-insurgent-three-issues-in/

>Insurgent 1 7,143
>Insurgent 2 4,662
>#3 didn't even chart

>Mike Mignola
>Grant Morrison
>James Stokoe
>Geoff Darrow
>Frazer Irving
>not respectable

>pretty much everything gets a bump
Iron Man didn’t get a bump. Captain America didn’t get a bump. Spider-Man didn’t get a bump. Avengers didn’t get a bump. Defenders didn’t get a bump. Guardians of the Galaxy didn’t get a bump. Ant-Man didn’t get a bump. Dr Strange didn’t get a bump. Black Panther will not get a bump. Neither will Carol.

>and the YASSS KWEENing going on for that is gonna be insane.
The defenders for the book are already insane. There still won’t be enough readers for her books for those defenders to have any sort of power though.

Oh yeah, I remember it. Thanks.

>Guardians of the Galaxy didn’t get a bump
You wanna compare gotg now to gotg under dna? It got a huge bump.

This points to a serious disconnect between the movie and book divisions. These movies are giant advertisements. 50 million people go to a cape movie and less than 40K will buy a damn book of the same characters.

>They just repackaged it and sold it again this year under a new name with new cover art.

Madmen.

They really aren't. The movies are at best spiritual adaptations of the comics that adapt or steamline the best parts of story arcs and characters while removing the bloat and bullshit.

Not a lot of people are willing to travel to specialty stores for the sake of spending $5 a week on a comic that's got nothing to do with the movies, likely won't even have the same characters as the movies, and will likely only occupy a few minutes of their time at most.

>while removing the bloat and bullshit.

You say that nearly all books by DC are almost in their #40's/#20's (depending on double or single shipping) with only a few genuinely poorly selling titles being cancelled, it's not a problem for DC as they relaunch far fewer and reader attrition is nowhere near as bad as Marvel's. Guess it's a slightly smaller but much more dedicated fan base

>Guardians
More likely than you would think.

16 is pathetic. Glorified mini. 25 or 4 trades is acceptable. 40 is a respectable run. Fucks sake New Super-Man the constantly edge of death comic has made it to 21 confirmed with 26 being almost guaranteed and a chance at 32.

>Kelly Thompson
Honestly her biggest crime is just having really boring writing. She made Jem and the Holograms boring for god's sake.

Yes user, removing all the bloat and bullshit. You're delusional if you don't think comics are frequently stuffed with both.

>GotG didn't get a bump
>Ant Man didn't get a bump
From before they had movies? They absolutely did. Ant-Man didn't have a solo ongoing for 11 years before the film and that one was cancelled after 4 issues.
Defenders was a show not a feature film.

Nova got five, with two pity fuck issues to clean up the run for trade. Sold better than America, too, not that I'm bitter or anything.

>New Super-Man the constantly edge of death comic
I recommend this book to everyone and double pull it. It hurts how its numbers are still so low, but I'm hopeful that it'll keep sticking around.

You're also delusional if you don't think adding a horrible romance subplot and forcing origins isn't stuffing a different type of them right back in.

If you’re a D-List character or indie book

I think it will. The new adding to the title at 20 will likely go on for a trade length to around 26 maybe two trades. And the name seems like a transition to just Justice League China so maybe another trade there. I think I can at last say if it can just hold steady it can make 30-40.

He's not wrong, movies make relative fluff more digestible since they have to deal with much tighter constraints, comics are a relative slog in trying to keep up with decades of horseshit to get context of what's going on now.

If I were to take up a number 1 I would hope to get to 50. As much as people hate Slott for staying too long, I think it helps a comic to have a consistent voice and looking back to the 60s 70s and 80s, long runs were never a problem back then. Cancelling at 16, or in some cases 12 and below, just shows Marvel aren't greenlighting good ideas, they're just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.