How long before critics apologise for panning this movie?

How long before critics apologise for panning this movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wV-aEPk9_4o
pastebin.com/m0xLSKzg
youtube.com/watch?v=hLgg5vSOnAo
youtube.com/watch?v=LzPnblYq98g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would they? It's the epitome of safe western remake. Also french astroboy air date when?

Does he even have machine guns in his butt?

Considering it bankrupted the company and drove them into obscurity, I imagine critics feel justified for how they felt about this.

yes that´s in the original

Whenever critics apologize for panning Speed Racer

youtube.com/watch?v=wV-aEPk9_4o

When the reboot cartoon comes out.

US Astro Boy *tried*. It really, really tried, but it really felt like there was executive meddling to the point where I felt like it came off as a cigar chomping asshole father screaming at his kid with a sprained ankle to finish first in a hundred yard dash.

Nic Cage gave a great performance as Tenma, actually making the dude halfway sympathetic. There were witty jokes that were well timed all through the movie and the Robot games segment was really well done (and set up the happy ending!)

But honestly, the surface dwellers v. the flying city part made NO sense, the female lead was -a-pointless-waste-of-time-, the goofy robots trying to rebel despite their programming keeping them from doing anything (not to mention the arbitrary naming of Astro) was also a waste. Going back to my original point all these aspects felt tacked on to a story that starts with the perils of using applied military R&D as a cautionary lead in to the plot's central conflict and the robots themselves (including the main character who was purposely created to replace a scientist's lost child) are nothing but exploited.

Maybe a few re-writes, especially of the surface v. sky city, could get some of it to mesh well with the parts of the movie that worked perfectly fine, but not all of these cheap story beats could be saved; they ultimately dragged the rest of the movie down.

That was legitimately a fantastic movie, and I say this as someone that loathes the Wackjobowskis.

Cage was a mistake.

Actually improved from the source material.

they overly exaggerated the nostalgia for it to compete against ironman?

I didn’t like it (spoiler) but that’s because I’m a hardcore Astro fan boy, I wish robot racist was brought up(spoiler)

Actually it was. But in a reverse manner. You overhear two cleaning robots ragging on humans.

It's a fine movie, but only as its own thing. Compared to the original Manga it doesn't do it justice in the slightest.

Cmon op, we both know it wasn't good. It wasn't bad, I mean, it's just that it wasn't good.

Fuckin movie was this close to Gurren Lagann levels of "fuck yeah" optimism, and it was very creative in making live action speed lines work during the snow fight. Personal favorite.

I can't get over how fast they managed to pace the thing while still having it be coherent.

If you could remove the Spridal and Chim Chim bits it would be a perfect Speed Racer movie. Probably one of my favorite movie adaptations.

See, they understood that it was based off of Saturday Morning Cartoon fare, and KEPT it that way. One of the best parts of that movie is its cinematography, because they knew it was supposed to be a fun/10, unlike the critics, who went in to rate it on their own metrics. It was dumb fun, and it was directed to enhance that whole dumb fun aspect. It's one of the reasons Sup Forums has a boner for Trigger shows, because they embrace the silliness instead of sneering at it.

i meant airing it near ironman is financial suicide (like releasing anything against a star wars movie).

if it got aired after or before it, might it have a more favorable opinion with the masses/nerds?

I think it was always going to end up as more of a cult classic - If I recall correctly, the original series was rather old, so there wouldn't be much interest in it from the parents, outside of the odd fan. I saw it when I was like twelve, and my parents grew up watching Ultraman rather than Speed Racer.

true (about the cult classic) but i was thinking about what my high school teacher said back then on how steven seagal managed to have success (for all that's worth) back then by releasing his movies when there a lulls in the blockbuster releases.

for all the cgi-hate a lot of movies get before and since speed racer, i've never seen it used against the movie itself.

Honestly they tried with all of their might to actually work with this movie, I could see it. But god damn I did not like the trailer when I was in middle school. I still fucking don't.

I also didn't like the blue core vs the red core of this Hero 6 bullshit. I fucking hated this movie. I didn't like anything of it, and I was disappointed constantly.

pastebin.com/m0xLSKzg

Other than Nic Cage as Tenma everything about this film was trash

This movie is a fucking masterpiece

To be fair, no one even thought Iron Man was going to do that well at the time. This was before the MCU was even established, with an unorthodox production and a washed up former addict as the lead.

Why would they

I forget why Tenma ditches Astro in the original canon, but I did like the nuance to "This is my first time actually paying attention to my son and while you do in fact act just like him, I can't recognize that because all I have is this idealized image of him".

I never got around to watching it, is it good?
I am a huge megaman nut, don't know if that might be relevant since megs is technically just an astro rip-off

Depends what you mean by original canon. In the very first manga, Tenma was barely a character. He showed up in like, two chapters

Shit, wrong post. Meant to reply to this one

I enjoyed this film a lot. It wasn't perfect, but it had a lot of charm, and told a great story. The setting was well-executed and there was compelling conflict.

Rather than remove they just need to lesson it by shortening the scene of them running around the factory and cutting out the bit right before the kiss

I had intentionally avoided this movie. I might just have to consider watching it one of these days.

They definitely overdid the Spridle and Chimchim stuff in a few scenes to try and get the kids in but aside from that its really good

So did I, it blew me away.

this movie is fucking hilarious by how crazy it is, good to watch while on drugs desu

Make a giant bowl of popcorn and watch it asap, on Blu-Ray if possible. It’s like candy for your eyes.

I did the same thing, but watched it about a week ago. It was great.

APOLOGISE

I'M SORRY GEOR- whoops wrong person

I have a strong Sup Forums memory of watching Speed Racer in a stream and the chat blowing up at this part

I generally don't mind it, though, the token Spritle and Chim-chim acid sequence was a trademark of the show

this is an example why user reviews >>> "(((critic)))" reviews

This is one of those movies that really had to be seen on the big screen. It was a joy to watch.

Best Wachowski movie, easily.

>but muh Matrix
Also good, but still not as great as Speed Racer

"I'm gonna build a robot. A son! And you know what he needs? By Christ, machine guns in the ass! Fuck me rigid, it just doesn't get any better than that!"

>safe western remake
>it's actually chinese

I really wanted to see Imagi's Gatchaman movie written by Dini

:'-(

Yeah, that actually wasn't too far off. Tenma hated Astro for various reasons. Astro wasn't capable of growing up, he was clumsy and silly, and since Tenma never really cared for his son until he died he had an idealized version of him in his head and was pissed when Astro failed to live up to it.

Tenma and his wife(she was retconned into the canon through the time-travel arc) go through a lot of shit, and they both eventually learn to appreciate Astro when it was too late.
Tenma's wife died alone, wanting to see Astro one last time so that he can forgive her. Tenma himself went insane and tried to take Astro and use him as a superweapon.

Step aside for the superior adaption.

My friends and I saw this movie 14 fucking times in theaters, because we realized it would never be the same off of the big screen. Because it performed so poorly, most of the viewings we had the whole theater to ourselves. We get together every year on the anniversary of the original release to watch it, but it's never been quite the same.

>cutting out the bit right before the kiss
I'm glad to find out it was universally hated. The movie had a few weak parts, but that is the only thing I would have outright cut.

I had such a blast watching this on opening night. It was one of the times watching a movie that I just didn't want it to end. Every time a race was about to start, I found myself getting hyped and settling back in my seat to just absorb the madness. Ended up going to see it again in IMAX, holy shit, that's some optimal viewing, I tell ya what. The psychedelic final stretch sequence from the Grand Prix is fucking orgasmic.

This movie was my first major inkling that maybe movie critics don't know what the fuck they're talking about. It's only gotten worse since then.

>See, they understood that it was based off of Saturday Morning Cartoon fare, and KEPT it that way.
Am I the only person that doesn't always unconditionally agree with this notion? Why does a franchise that was campy in its origins have to ALWAYS be campy, otherwise it's stupid? I've only really noticed this mentality taking over since the recent capeshit era where everyone has a serious case of the "NOT MUHs".

I mean, one of the hallmarks of good characters, concepts and settings is that they work well in any tone. I fucking loved Speed Racer, as is, but that doesn't mean that I don't think a dark, complex, for lack of a better word, "edgy" Speed Racer movie wouldn't work if it was properly executed. In fact, I recall thinking I'd love to see it, something a little more low-key like the original cartoon, but built around corruption, murder and intrigue on the race course. The problem is that mixing such serious ideas with a character literally named "Speed Racer" rubs people the wrong way. I feel like so many audiences just have inherent issues assimilating a movie's unique tone and execution these days.

>i meant airing it near ironman is financial suicide (like releasing anything against a star wars movie).
It was 2008. Nobody really knew Iron Man was going to be the hit it ended up being. MCU wasn't a cult yet, and 90% of normies had no clue who the fuck Iron Man even was. Honestly, before the MCU kicked off, I wouldn't be surprised if Speed Racer were the more recognized franchise.

>Why does a franchise that was campy in its origins have to ALWAYS be campy, otherwise it's stupid?

Because darker, serious takes on otherwise campy silly franchises have already been attempted countless times, with the vast majority of them being failures at best, and outright destroying the IP at worst. What you're seeing is the end result of almost two decades of this kind of shit, and people are simply tired of it.

Speed Racer was special because it was one of the few franchises that Hollywood touched during that time that actually stayed true to it's roots, even if said roots are covered in campy silly bullshit. Even to this day that's a rarity that is treasured whenever it does happen.

> Soon Astro Boy will have more Sup Forums material than Sup Forums material.
Feels weird.

I wonder if they were built as some sort of antirape mechanism

I'm actually looking forward to this. Apparently Astro's going to have human parents this time around, so it's a perfect opportunity to explore the implications of that, like all of Tenma's gripes with the reality .

Osamu Tezuka was a very disturbed man

youtube.com/watch?v=hLgg5vSOnAo
youtube.com/watch?v=LzPnblYq98g

Paintings of sad clowns became a meme unto themselves.
Trying to make a silly thing serious CAN work but nine times out of ten it just becomes double silly.

He's japanese

I know but he's disturbed even under Japanese standards. Read his gekiga stuff

>artist wants to have fun with his craft but sometimes is depressed=disturbed

They were right to pan that.

The point is that Astro Boy usually made a point of how technology or science can be abused by man regardless of what good it can bring. Later adaptations tend to drop that in favor of focusing on the boy robot.

We're probably not going to see stories like Genie Garon or Pluto in French Astro.

No this is.

>it was one of the few franchises that Hollywood touched during that time that actually stayed true to it's roots
I dunno. You ever watched original Speed Racer? I'd argue the 2008 movie was sillier and campier, and the entire take on the world was not very "true to it's roots" at all. The 1960s Speed Racer was a cartoon, and was quite over-the-top, but I think any perceived camp was more the result of the slapdash translation/dub and just Japs not generally understanding the tenets of good writing in the '60s. Everything in the show was played up 100% seriously, especially where the racing was concerned. I recall an episode about a race through a seismically active chasm where 95% of the participating racers died, and Speed himself directly pointed it out.

I still disagree that a contrasting take on the origins of a franchise automatically make it shit. After all, Batman has been to both ends of the spectrum, and people seem to be okay with it. Same with Ninja Turtles. I'm sure there are plenty of others. Hollywood's problem is that 90% of the time when they attempt to make a "serious" version of something originally campy, they do it from a place of shame, where they feel they have to lampshade the zany aspects, or explain them away with convoluted new exposition. Or they did it in the '90s when all this campy nerd shit was too high-concept and needed to be reformatted for normie consumption.

That said, I still feel like widely-panned movies such as Super Mario Bros. and Man of Steel, that completely attempted to change the tone and perspective of their source material, actually did a good job, but audiences rejected them simply for being unfamiliar to the source material, which I think isn't fair, because they WERE faithful to the source material, they just used a different path to get there. It's something I feel like a majority of audiences have a problem with, separating concept from actual execution.

I guess?

Go read some Devilman Lady if you think that's a sign of a disturbed man.

His narratives were ahead of their time. Animated adaptations in the 60s often had to soften things to make them more TV friendly.

You know, if Tezuka wasn't jealous of Ishinomori and Nagai wasn't Ishinomori's disciple, I think Tezuka and Nagai could be bros. Both were huge pervs and Nagai's style resemble more to Tezuka than Ishinomori