Beowulf

youtube.com/watch?v=6b234Y5LvcM

Screw what the critics think, this movie was fucking awesome. Maybe not the most faithful adaption but a damn well-written movie for sure. Hell, even the CGI isn't that bad.

>inb4 take this to Sup Forums

This movie is technically animated, so...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=53fm5IcFF-s
youtube.com/watch?v=m0fFI0ziCs8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I liked it as a Niel Gaiman spin on the classic epic, where it straddles the line between subversion and faithful adaptation. The CGI took a second viewing for me to warm up to. It's a style that never really took off and I can understand why.

I thought it was great too, it's a perfectly faithful adaptation seen from a 3rd party, we just get to find out Beowulf was an unreliable narrator all along.

I still say "It jarttss mee, matherrr" to my mom when I visit

And yeah, mocapped uncanny valley movies died out, but they'll be back as they claw their way up the side of the valley. I mean the trailer for Kojima's new game is basically this style, now that they can pull if off real time it's going to be all over the place

youtube.com/watch?v=53fm5IcFF-s

Honestly, the movie is worth it just for the soundtrack alone. Alan Silvestri fucking killed it with this movie.

I was the one faggot that saw it at the cinema. Fucking great film, hype as fuck when he rips his own arm to swing further.
Shame we'll never get anything like this again.

I never knew it was animated when I watched it as a kid, and I thought the actors looked so weird.

It was only until afterwards that I was told it was all animated.

Did the mighty wiglaf fuck the monster?

Are you kidding? The writing is bad, most of the action sequences are pants-on-head retarded, and the animation is uncanny valley as fuck.

kino oment coming thru
youtube.com/watch?v=m0fFI0ziCs8

Pretty cool. I remember watching it in art history class because my professor had a huge boner for it.

I liked the swimming contest segment

I just remember feeling underwhelmed.
The only scene I remember is some guy checking out a barmaid's cleavage and I was thinking "this kinda looks like Shrek."

I love this movie.
My favorite among broadly considered fantasy/ epic/ heroic kind.
It's a great retelling of the story, greatly humanizing the main character and making him incredibly compelling yet totally badass.
Fantastic performance by the actors.
Ray Winstone owns.
A lot of powerful moments, even if some of them are a bit cheesy.
Minor silly things like the fact that at the end he couldn't reach the target with his sword, but when he drops it he manages to reach with his bare hand are trivial.

Wiglaf ain't turning down that golden pussy son

This movie made me want to eat Angelina Jolie's golden asshole.

I'd love to see them do Gilgamesh in this exact style. This was the only version of Beowulf that was any good.

Wasted potential: the film.

damn this is a good movie

Everything has wasted potential, it's a meaningless and empty criticism. Even moreso than if you hate something for its popularity.

It's a good movie. I remember enjoying the scene in which Grendel attacked.

At least they tried making an animated movie that wasn't kidshit.

I'll elaborate then, though this user already said how I feel

The "So realistic" animation wasn't up to part, not even years after the american Final Fantasy film, they should've used live action instead because the whole movie felt weird as fuck with the shitty CGI always on your face

Some of the action sequences and dialogue are so "macho man does manly shit" that they become stupid at worst, a parody at best.

The only things that I actually loved whas the OST, grendel's design and the final boss, Angelina's nude CGI sex doll did nothing but creep me out like "her first son" did, and 50% of the time when there were just regular people on screen instead of action and monsters, it did look like a shitty ripoff of Shrek and How to train your Dragon.

>50% of the time
You crunched the numbers?

>Some of the action sequences and dialogue are so "macho man does manly shit" that they become stupid at worst, a parody at best.

It's a folkloric epic poem, heroes do ott stuff all the time, the adaptation takes the beats of the original story from the fucking 7th or 8th century and adds a modern layer to it that doesn't change the events but makes it a ton more sophisticated. If you think Neil Gaiman is a bad writer you're entitled to your opinion, but it's not a very tenable one.

Also this
>This movie made me want to eat Angelina Jolie's golden asshole.

Not enough swimming.

If you think that the rollercoaster action sequences in that film are somehow representative of the heroic ethos of the original poem, you've probably never read it.

I don't think Gaiman is a bad writer overall, but this adaptation certainly is. It strips out everything that makes the original epic fascinating and beautiful in order to "bring it down" to contemporary audiences.

I enjoyed it. I can see why someone expecting direct adaption would be disappointed; it's more of a comment on the nature of myth using Beowulf as an example than a straight telling of his story. I like that kind of commentary/adaption mixture, it's probably why Starship Troopers is one of my favourite films.

>This movie is technically animated

So? Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's a comic or a cartoon you sweet, delicious little treasure.

Should have put Grendel in the camel clutch.

>it's animated doesn't mean it's a comic or a cartoon you sweet, delicious little treasure.

It kinda does? Snookums.

I haven't read the original poem no but the over the top exploits are consistent with other epics and mythology I've read, and they manage to deliver scenes like Beowulf ripping off Grendel's arm in a convincing way. If anything mythological heroes have it too easy because ancient audiences were unsophisticated and didn't apreciate that a hero needs to struggle to win.

Also the first scene with the sea Dragons is clearly Beowulf bullshitting to hell and back, establishing that he's an unreliable narrator.

BTW I downloaded it and am watching this shit right now

>Hell, even the CGI isn't that bad.
At the time this came out, there were better animated video games. But the biggest problem with the CGI was how totally unnecessary it was. it kinda added a whole warped, meta, layer of "bad movie" over everything to take real, live actors, and turn them into wax without adding that much to the visuals.

If they'd sent a woman to kill the monster the entire movie could have been avoided

I love Gaiman shit, but I don't think this is one of his bests works, and he wasn't the only writer in Beowulf.

Or she'd just die.

If you weren't an idiot you wouldn't write this post.

But it happened.

This, no one was actually capable of murdering Angelizard, she only left them go alive because of the dick

>Also the first scene with the sea Dragons is clearly Beowulf bullshitting to hell and back, establishing that he's an unreliable narrator.

haha and the mermaid, I forgot about the mermaid, dude had a monster girl fetish.

One of us!

Or Grendelina would've made her pregnant, that tail was probably pulling double duty...

Movie was alright but no means awesome. It was a standard fantasy tale based of the old story. They put in a twist to shake things up. CGI still had very bad uncanny valley at times.

The grendel mocap and voice work by Crispin Glover's top notch, he should get more of this kind of work alongside the Gollum guy