*skips update*

*skips update*
heh nothing personal

Other urls found in this thread:

patreon.com/avasdemon
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's on hiatus again until February.

3many haituses.

>It's another 'no-nothing critic who thinks art is made with just a wave of a magic wand' episode.

>Christmas coming
>All comic artists are going on hiatus/break
>Even the shitty ones I pretend to hate here but still read as a guilty pleasure

It's going to be a long winter...

filthy homestuck

>it's another "lazy artist takes thousands of dollars and does nothing" episode

So are you new here or were you just not around for the other 100-odd times this was explained in Ava's Demon threads? It gets old.

The kickstarter profits are taken up by the cost of making and delivering heavy books and items. That's what they're for. The stretch goal about double updates didn't really come through because of failed pledges.

The Patreon is for hosting a professional server because traffic used to crash the old one on updates and she got charged a shit done extra without warning.

Go to bed, Michelle, you're supposed to be on vacation.

>la la la I'M NOT LISTENING~
If you don't want to know then just shut up about it.

Isn't it time for you to have an "anxiety attack"?

Only three weeks until Unsounded is back.

Not everybody is spoiled and shelter enough to think mental disorders are fake news, Trustfund.

In the real world people have to deal with their problems and still work. Not quit on their obligations to have a mental health holiday to come back to it later. The world isn't your safe space when you can quit when you want and expect to get a pat on the back saying "There, there it's okay to quit."

Meanwhile in the world outside your basement, people who actually have jobs would know there's support and sick leave for when things like that happen. It's just a harder case when you're self employed.

Michelle would be let go at any reputable company.

I do wish the updates were more often. I can't bring myself to read it anymore bc there are so few updates and that ruins my engagement with the story. I'd rather read it all once it's completed.

Nothing wrong with taking breaks to preserve mental health. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's just like any illness.

If it's getting to a place where the person isn't being responsible and so on... then just don't support them. Just don't read their work if you think they're unprofessional or something. Can't muster up the self-control to avoid her comic? Guess she's not the only one that needs discipline.

Idc about commenting on whether mentally ill people should assume more control over their lives and push themselves harder bc I'm not their psychiatrist.

Other people that are also dealing with mental illness may have to push themselves to work their shitty jobs despite the damage it's doing to them... How is that a good thing. Here is a fact: they would have taken a break if they could. Anyone would. One person's misfortune can't discredit the legitimacy of someone else's fortune. Two wrongs don't make a right. Appreciate that she is able to take breaks when her health is concerned. Be human.

Speculating on whether a "reputable company" would have fired her or not... what? Most reputable companies I know would have allowed mental health leaves, because they're not living in the 60s. As long as one gets work done on time, that's all most companies care about.

So who are you to say she's not getting her work done on time? She's her own boss, and her comic is doing well in terms of popularity. If she's not meeting her deadlines that is her own problem as she has her bills to pay.

Just don't consume her comic if you think she is this shitty. Go out and make the comic you want to see, with the work ethic you promote. Or just consume entertainment created by people you respect more.

>Hey boss, I gotta take a month off because I'm feeling anxious

No dude, not for a fucking month. Don't pretend you understand real life from your cushy view of what mommy and daddy's work life while you go to high school. No company is going to allow you to take a whole month off because of anxiety. It's already shitty enough that after the year long haitus they dropped one of their update days so now it's only once a week. Not only that, she gets ad revenues from what's already built into the website.

Getting paid 3,988 a month to draw is pretty fucking good. That isn't all going to hosting a fucking webpage. You can pretend it is, but its fucking not webpage hosting doesn't cost multiple thousands of dollars a month. People are paying this person because they said "Hey we like your work and want to support you finaically with some pocket change a month to keep doing your work so you don't have to starve." Not to take hiatuses when you feel like it because you are getting stressed.

Thank you, I really don't understand how some people don't have empathy for mental illness. Just because it's not super visible doesn't mean it's not present.

I'm honestly more annoyed when people prioritize their work over their health. Like shit, very rarely is it worth killing yourself over. Shit takes years off your life in the long run, and is the reason why suicide rates are up.

>G-guh how can you expect others who deal with mental illness to act the same as you! Be human!

Bitch everyone wishes they didn't have to work and earn their fucking money but that's the point. When you have people giving you 4k a month to a project along with ad revenues and such you expect them to work for their money instead of saying "I gotta take a break :( I got a mental illness." It's a shitty excuse for skipping out on work. Even the ones with mental illness have to deal with this shit but here's a fucking news flash, real life isn't what you expect it to be. Everyone else has been doing this shit for god knows how many years for the sake of money. Children dropped out of school to get a job to provide for their family because they didn't want them to starve. Those children would have rather be playing and have fun instead of working for incredibly terrible wages that no adult would have gotten paid for that job. You take what you are given to survive and if you promise your work for money, follow through.

The reason suicide rates are up is because no one teaches you faggots coping skills on how to deal with your fucking mental illnesses. Then you go on this rant saying we need to give these people breaks and all these cushy exceptions that is expected of everyone else instead of teaching them on how to deal with it. Fuck off.

the grey skin made me think for a second she started doing homosuck garbage

I'm a video game artist currently working in the industry.

>Getting paid 3,988 a month to draw is pretty fucking good.

I know you're trying to demean the value of "drawing" but I'm not taking your shitty bait. That amount of pay for freelance art is kind of what most illustrators of her caliber make. If you want to know whether her pay is fair or not you can find out how long she spends on each panel and calculate her hourly fee etc etc. Not really any point debating her pay, she's getting that money regardless. Do you expect her to only make enough money to pay for a server? Profit isn't halal I guess but... most people try to make money and accumulate savings. Think about it.

Her income via Patreon is from people that want to support her. Take it up with them if you think she shouldn't be given that much money. Good luck!

A freelance artist can 500% take a month long break if their savings allow it. That flexibility in working-hours and vacations comes with the stress of not knowing if you'll land another gig and shit like that. It's fair. You can't argue whether she'd ask for an entire month at a full time job because she isn't working a full time job at a company. Chances are she'd get a week or two and she'd suck it up. Doesn't make her a monster for taking a month off her own business. Her. Own. Business.

Freelance is what most artists do because companies are leaning towards contract work for artists as opposed to engineers who are often hired full time. You have no fucking clue how art jobs work. None.

>If you want to know whether her pay is fair or not you can find out how long she spends on each panel and calculate her hourly fee etc etc
She hired artists to draw the comic for her...

>A freelance artist can 500% take a month long break if their savings allow it. That flexibility in working-hours and vacations comes with the stress of not knowing if you'll land another gig and shit like that. It's fair. You can't argue whether she'd ask for an entire month at a full time job because she isn't working a full time job at a company. Chances are she'd get a week or two and she'd suck it up. Doesn't make her a monster for taking a month off her own business. Her. Own. Business.
If she wants flexible and lax hours she shouldn't raise money under the guise of running a "weekly" comic.

>People out there have it worse so stop complaining
>There are starving children in Africa, so finish your plate.
Yeah, that sucks, but her being voluntarily given money does nothing to affect the situation you described. This isn't a contest, there's no point on talking about who has it worse. Yeah sucks for those kids, I know a few, and I wish there was alternatives. But trying to bring down someone else because "they don't have it bad enough" is literally the opposite of helping. Nobody is being forced to give her money, they pay despite the fact, because they know supporting the artist through hard times will get them the product they are paying for.

And yeah, the stigma against mental illness is a huge part of suicide rates. People, like you said, don't know how to cope and don't want to be known as the crazy person, so they bottle up. Just because they weren't lucky enough to have someone teach they how to cope means they should kill themselves? That's retarded.

I was going to write a rant to shut you down, but these guys are beating me to my punches. So fuck it.
This and this.

We pay for this because we expect weekly updates. When you start asking money from people to do this project in support of their endeavor, they do it with the expectation they get their product they are supporting.

If they want to be independent and free from these obligations, don't ask the public for money and fill your website with adds because then all money gained is from your work, your advertisements and people reading your work. You can't ask for hands outs and then not expect a backlash when you stop providing what people are paying in for.

>Oh this comic is asking for money, it says it's weekly but it has frequent hiatus.
>I guess I'll either support it, even with the hiatus, or
>Not support it.
t. Every reasonable person ever.

If you're that burnt about it, cancel your pledge. It's just so easy.

I think she should be more honest about her delivery power, I agree. I don't get why anyone believed she could deliver weekly updates beyond a couple images for a comic with an art style like that. It's unprofessional to claim she can. Her fans decide if she should get away with it though, and they decided she can. Apparently. I'm not supporting her on Patreon and I have adblock so I'm not really one of those fans that can shed light on why they think it's still worth supporting her. Not my fight, ya know?

It's her business, her prerogative. Again, you can't argue against people willingly paying her money because they think the content they're getting is worth it. Popular comics/shows/etc do end up taking on extra hands to help keep the project going. This isn't a new thing at all, I'm sure you've seen it happen before. It's not anyone being a "hack" or something either. It's just business. It's better than not putting anything out.

>I was going to write a rant to shut you down, but I can't come up with rebuttals so I'll pretend to have a point instead

HAHA

I haven't seen any huge backlash over her hiatus(es) outside of this sperglicious thread, user. Ofc feel free to cite some stuff and I'll be glad to change my perspective and see people are super mad and want their money back etc etc. If people are still paying her whatever amount on Patreon, they're clearly ok with it. Your weird-ass standards on how a webcomic business should run is your own. Don't expect her to think her income is somehow WRONG of her to gain.

Is she Polish?

>they pay despite the fact, because they know supporting the artist through hard times will get them the product they are paying for.

Except she was doing this before getting paid. It's wild to think about right? That when you did this for free, that people expect when you start asking for money that in the end they keep doing it because magically they were able to do it while it was for free.

>I haven't seen any huge backlash over her hiatus(es) outside of this sperglicious thread, user.

Yeah that's what happens when you hide on tumblr your entire life. People were rather annoyed by the 1 year "haitus" for the kick starter too. The only difference then was that she wasn't begging for paetreon money and she actually paid for webhosting costs out of pocket. So people took it with a grain of salt and said fuck it, now she's pulling this shit while getting a few k to do it while paying other people to draw the panels for her. It's amazing, did you know she used to do TWO, that's right TWO (2) updates a week and was able to do so on her own?

>Your weird-ass standards on how a webcomic business should run is your own.
>Business
This isn't a business, this is her begging for money to do a passion project and then refusing to put work in for bullshit lazy excuses.

It's cool how you people don't realize people used to do this shit for free and patreon was made to help people get paied so they can instead do their projects as a job instead of walmart.

>I haven't seen any huge backlash over her hiatus(es) outside of this sperglicious thread, user
Because most people dropped this shit after it took over a year to get a couple a updates and move the plot along.
Michelle is incompetent when it comes to creating a web comic.

I beleive so

Oh shit it was free, and now its... huh well shit it's still free, but some people have now made it so where it's a job.
So you're complaining that it used to be done a different way, but now it's not. Sucks, life doesn't plan out all the time. I'm sure the people voluntarily giving her money understand this, considering the hiatus is announced rather than just disappearing.

So to sum up, you're upset that a artist is making decent money, can afford to take time off when needed, can't tell the future in regards to how updates will always play out, and thinks the same thing will last forever. Oh and you also don't believe mental illness is serious and is something only lazy snowflakes have.

I don't go on Tumblr. I'm not gonna assume it was all you or anything but multiple people in this thread apply some weird ass labels on anons to discredit them. Trust fund, tumblr, basement dweller, etc.

Try arguing your point without assuming stupid shit like that in the future. It'll make you more respectable.

To my knowledge the kickstarter was for the books alone, and unless you can provide proof I'm not buying your massive outrage scenario.

There's a chance that she stockpiled panels so she was able to work ahead of schedule back then. It's not a new concept. OR she was overworking and she eventually realized she can't sustain that anymore. Plus, patrons are still paying. Sweet! It's the patron's call. They need to vote with their wallets.

>this is her begging for money
I hear so many people, that don't make content, referring to Patreon as "begging for money" and I find that hilarious. It's a donation box which actually gives you something in return for donating (the tier rewards).

>This thing someone was creating used to be free and still is free, it's not behind a pay wall. But... IT'S NOT FAIR THAT SHE CAN ALSO MAKE MORE MONEY VIA CONSENTING ADULT PATRONS.
Fuck off senpai lmao.

I was p much one of those people! I can't be assed to follow a comic that isn't getting updated often enough.

>So you're complaining that it used to be done a different way, but now it's not.

I'm complaining about how when she was doing it for free and had two updates a week of the SAME quality as it is now that when you ask people to help you and support it as a paying job for your bills, that you don't bitch out and take a hiatus. Especially when you pay other people to do the work anyways. She could pay the people she already pays to draw these panels, get get a portion of her monthly earning and then continue updating while she does fuck all but minimal work directing the people she paid to do the work for her.

Wow, it's like there's literally no excuse for her to take a hiatus since other people are doing the work for her already but she's the one getting paid the massive amount.

Oh also have this. And if you can still fucking defend the fact this person gets paid and then willingly takes time off then you are just a blind defender of a lazy asshole.

688 people have said "I want there to be weekly updates." and then the artist said "nah. I'm not feeling it." And that's a shit move by a shit webcomic artist. At least with prequel, kaz can fuck off and do updates every other year because he doesn't ask for people's money.

I'd argue that no-one is lazier than the consumer, and they should just be happy that anyone is willing to satisfy their desires. Be happy that you're well-fed. ya sack of shit.

That isn't evidence, that's literally just a picture of what you've been saying over and over of "she's getting paid money, reee."
In fact there is no evidence to your argument. You see a comic artist say "I need to take a hiatus for my mental health." And you automatically conceive it as someone being lazy because of your previous bias against mental illness. That's the crux of the issue, if this author had been getting bones broken you wouldn't have a problem, but you don't consider mental illness "serious" enough because of your pre-conceived opinion. That's the real issue here, there is no evidence of the author being lazy, it's you using your feels as evidence.

Dungeon Meshi is also on Hiatus

51 Hundred hasn't updated in 2 years and I think the creator might be dead but it still has patrons

It's a picture saying "Pay me this amount to get this product" And then the artist saying "I don't feel like producing the product that I promise when you gave me this money."

If you literally are that retarded, I feel sorry for you. She is getting paied 4k a month to not make content for the next 2 months and not follow through with what she is selling herself for. To top it off most paetreon clientele when they do go on hiatus often say that they will freeze payments since they will not be providing the service they promise on. Interesting on how she never mentions that and how on paetreon they will not provide refunds to people who pledge and then get fucked off when the creator refuses to deliver.

But it's also really intresting on how she will keep doing those pesky commissions. It's crazy how she needs a break from drawing and doing this project, but still will draw fan requested art of the thing she needs a break from for EVEN MORE money.

But don't worry, I'm sure that's okay too right?

Aw yis.

But that does come with the craft. I hope no artist gets into art without knowing how awful fans are.

Pretty convinced most artists/content creators merely pretend to like their fans. They either comment on your personal life, or complain about your work as if they know anything, or some other equally unreasonable shit. Fans are the fucking worst but they pay so you tolerate them. Just like the suits you endure to get your work to be more successful.

Just look at the shit people spew in YT comment sections and other platforms. The fans are bitter and entitled. They offer nothing other than MAYBE money (see: people that torrent films) but think they're some kind of authority on the business or the craft.

>Paying out of your own free will
>Can just stop giving money if you don't feel like it
What's the problem exactly?

So, you are just once again saying how much money she makes, and then getting angry about it. That's... That's not evidence.
Yeah no, you're doing that thing again where you add in the whole "I don't believe in her mental illness" thing again. It's pretty obvious at this point.

So, let's say she broke a leg. Would you still be upset if she took a break not because of mental health, but because she broke her leg? And if she left patreon and commissions open to pay for the costs usually associated with broken legs?

Does her patreon even say it is for the webcomic?

>So, you are just once again saying how much money she makes, and then getting angry about it. That's... That's not evidence.
>It's a picture saying "Pay me this amount to get this product" And then the artist saying "I don't feel like producing the product that I promise when you gave me this money."

HOLY FUCK YOU ARE THE MOST DENSE FUCKER ALIVE.

Stop trying to move the fucking goal posts with your non-existent broken bone scenario that doesn't exist. Breaking a fucking leg is even more redundant in this made up fantasy of yours because you can still fucking draw with a broken leg. Saying you can't draw because of a broken leg is even more fucking bogus than saying you are anxious.

If you can't even be assed to understand that even at the lowest tier, people who donate to her are paying for weekly updates and then being told they won't get those when they are paying for the service is horse shit. Then you won't understand anything but what the fuck do I expect when you believe that breaking a god damn leg stops you from fucking drawing.

Yes the paetreon in question that I'm using as a reference is specifically dedicated to ava's demon. Not just general projects by Michelle.

Link?

Don't even bother clicking it, man. Just read that URL carefully. patreon.com/avasdemon

Not that user.
I do agree that it's shitty to imply you'll deliver weekly updates and then not deliver. Absolutely! I didn't see the weekly word be used anywhere else on that page aside from the first 2 tiers. It is likely that she simply forgot to update that part once she realized she can no longer do weekly updates. It's not good housekeeping but it's not some evil plan no jew you out of your autismbucks.

What you're not getting is that you can just not pay her anymore and her fans that agree with you can also not pay her.

What is your point here? Why are you whining about a thing you can opt out of? Why are you whining about her making money from donations when she didn't put her comic behind any kind of paywall?

>You can still fucking draw with a broken leg
I'm fucking dead, this is hilarious.

The issue with your "evidence" is that it's just the number of patrons. However you're putting words in to the author's mouth by saying she's "refusing" to work. There is no epic battle going on between her and her patrons, it's her saying she had a medical issue, and you not believing her, saying she lying, and then thinking she has a plan to scam people outta money by "refusing" to do work. The only thing that picture shows is the money flow, the second half is all your opinion dude.

Yeah you can choose not to pay. But honestly this is just the last straw. After the year long hiatus because of the "kickstarter", cut back to one update per week and everything else, paying other people to do the art for her. It's just enough shit dude. I'm going to bitch about it because fuck, after interacting with other webcomic artists and other shit, she does things in an incredibly inefficient way and the fan base pays for it every time and then people actually defend this garbage.

Just to pick apart the kickstarter thing, every one else who does a kickstarter always has the plans laid out already, and are selling "Give me money and you will see this concept come to life. I need money to make this an actuality." Fine, give her money so you can get a book and some other neat dodads, but the projected time of the project was way off by many many months and in the end she didn't even start the prototype book untill she got her money which then took her 6 months to make the prototype of a book she ALREADY DREW but decided to go back and touch up all the pages that weren't included in the book on her website to fit her current style which delayed everything EVEN MORE. Everyone else already had their prototype ready to go to the print within a month and got their order underway.

Yeah, the kickstarter would have been so much better if she had broken her legs during it. Can't leave the house, more time to draw, less time to have opinions.

Gunnerkrigg Court doesn't have hiatuses. Join us for this two-decade long rollercoaster every monday, wednesday and friday.

>I'm fucking dead, this is hilarious.
I know that's how I feel when you think a broken leg stops you from drawing and you are still quoting an image taken directly from their patreon as if it isn't a fact that she said that if you pay her this amount that she will in turn give you weekly updates.

Bottom line is that they are begging for other peoples money to do a certain task that is impossible without their money. She has their money and is still stating that it is impossible to do said task and that she won't because of mental health even though she is doing commissions as of this minute which is just extra money ontop of the 4k shes getting this month to not push out an update. When I say I can't do something and I need a break for mental health, I don't then advertise for the next two months that I'm taking special requests for money on that thing that I said I didn't want to do for the next two months.

I get the frustration. You clearly do care about the comic. It's sad but the creator is free to run an unprofessional business. Don't think taking time off for mental health reasons is unprofessional but there should be a better way to connect to your audience and let them know what's up. The hiatuses for the books do seem a bit fishy. Idk how transparent she was about her progress on that, because I don't follow her in any way. If she wasn't keeping people updated it's reasonable to get upset over that. She needs to be clear about why things are taking so long.

Homestuck is a finished webcomic and the new game sucks but their subreddit is doing well. Look at Ava's for a second. It's fucking dead.
The artist can't seem to maintain much of a community which does affect longevity. Hopefully she gets her shit together and can work a more stable schedule. It'll be a win for everyone involved.

What I read was that she got far more pledges on KS than she expected and that fucked her up pretty badly. Idk how that affects her part of the production of the books which is presumably only the art and not like... binding the books herself? It's more likely that the retouching delayed her rather than the volume of orders, as you said. It all looks like severe inexperience to me.

Worth remembering she's a young artist that probably never made a book for such a big audience before. I'd wager she bit off more than she can chew and messed up in the end. Perhaps she was ashamed to face the wrath of her fans if she came out and made it clear how fucked up her schedule became.

I think that, ultimately, artists need to understand that every one of their 'fans' has their own idea of what they're trying to do.

By that I mean: people develop their own interpretations of things based on their own beliefs. The hardest part about art is telling someone that they were wrong to trust you.

And by -that- I mean: Artists are within-their-right to tell a fan to fuck-off, because, at end of it all, they're just another fan trying to force their muddled interpretation of the artist's work onto the artist-themself. The fan is just a vocal-number, they can fuck-off for all the artist cares. The artist is just making for the sake of making. The fan is the one who requires stimulus; and that can be found anywhere else.

I'm ranting and I'm not-exactly sober right now, so take the shit I say with a fat grain-of-salt. But, I think there's something legitimately fucked-up about holding webcomic-artists to the standards of industry-artist, but that's probably a conversation for another day.

If there was one thing I wish I could get-across to everyone, it'd be this: Shut the fuck up, everyone has it just as bad as you. Even the people who make the shit you-all fill your respective-voids with.

I mean the wrath of her fans already came as you said. It's dead. I really liked the concept of this but shit. It's fucking dead, it's abysmal and nothing is going on. I jumped back on after dropping it myself hoping maybe this time she will continue and keep it up after all the KS shit died down and everything else.

And now yet again another hiatus, but this time she's getting financial support for it. I expected you know since they are getting paid they will follow through, but even then they are flaking and they even sometimes pay people to meet their weekly quota. So it's a mystery what all this money is going to except for her to fuck off or she's just pocketing it all while trying to do as minimal work as possible while getting this much bank.

Whatever fuck it, I'm just gonna drop it. In the end I'll just do what fans can do and not give them the attention anymore. I'm not going to continue giving someone money even when they refuse to work and still take breaks and fuck around like this in hopes that the fandom becomes alive again anywhere else but tumblr.

>Hopefully she gets her shit together and can work a more stable schedule
Never happen. If she had a good work ethic she could've built off momentum and made bank but she blew it all and comic is treading water while making mediocre patreon bucks.

Alright let's break this down so we can agree on something before I sleep.

She hosted a patreon. This is a fact.
She put in the $1 tier that updates are weekly. This is a fact
Despite her history of hiatus, people gave her money. This is a fact.
She told her patrons that she will take a 2 month hiatus for her mental health. That is a fact.

All the extra fluff you put in your spergy paragraphs? That's just autism. She never stated "this is impossible" she never "refused" anything, that's just the language you put in.
So I can get the whole you think the commission's thing is sketchy, which I can kinda agree. However if you break it down, I don't see the odds in her favor in terms of finances. If we're assuming that the ads on her site somehow break even the cost of her servers, which they don't, the almost $4K gets split between herself as her sole income, and paying two artists. And now she is not paying the 2 artists during the hiatus, unless she has them on retainer, but she has extra costs of prescriptions, psychiatrists, and her site since no one is visiting it for updates her ad revenue is down.

I don't see the scam of the century, I hardly see any profit.

I think Homestuck is the biggest outlier imaginable. It's effect on internet culture is immeasurable, and it's almost physically impossible how Peak Hussie did all that work before he got help. No one should measure up to that.

It was a tad difficult to follow but I get the gist of it, I believe.

>there's something legitimately fucked-up about holding webcomic-artists to the standards of industry-artist,

True, especially considering her age and lack of experience. Young contemporary freelancers rarely acquire the time management skills without industry experience. Freelance art at home is a bitch to discipline yourself for and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Especially if what you're doing is running your own webcomic. Being your own boss is a skill because you not only learn to be a good employee to yourself but you also have to manage yourself. That kinda self-reliance doesn't just come naturally imo.

Shame because I enjoy the premise and think the art is pretty fun. I think I'd still read it if she stopped the illustrative panels and made a more traditional, lower effort art style to speed it up. Is she good enough of a writer to carry her comic with her writing instead of pretty art? Maybe. I don't think the art style is working in her favor atm. Especially if she's too fragile to work hard enough for it, which I'm not shaming her for. I take mental illness very seriously. But she needs to make some business decisions that will get her out of the high pressure spot she's in and save her comic from death.

>I think Homestuck is the biggest outlier imaginable.
Fair. It's just one of the few subs I bother going on and I wanted to give an example. Not a good example though.

Yeah I didn't see any other submissions before I sent that. We probably all think of each other as retarded over Pretty Pictures: the comic. I'm willing to stop yelling at internet strangers in return for sleep. No hard feelings?

When you are given money on the basis that you will provide monthly updates and then tell everyone you are going on hiatus that is refusing work. People are saying "We will give you money to give us a weekly update." and then she decided to not to do it. That is refusing.

>sole income
She is married mate. She has a husband and I'm going to assume she isn't the sole breadwinner of the home and if she is, she can't afford to take a haitus since her monthly income a little better than a 10/hr job. But seeing as she can afford to pay people to do art for her when she used to do it herself for TWICE WEEKLY updates ALONE before she begged for money. She has the ability to do weekly updates alone but chooses not to.

Also confirm that she takes scripts, psychiatrists. Because normally people on drugs don't need to take a hiatus due to mental illness since they are taking medication to control said illness. If she desperately needed this money she wouldn't be taking a break from the thing that is her sole income because this is why she loses fans. This shit right here.

Oh I'm sorry, I should correct that, her income is incredibly better than a 10/hr job. She gets paid 48k a year. Man I sure wish I could do that and then take a 2 month paid vacation. Good thing my placeholder job of 25k a year which has no benefits but I can still pay my bills helps me out.

So in the interest of summarizing this.

You're upset because you feel like a woman on the internet found an easy way to make cash out out something she loves, then scams and tricks people for more money and contiously takes the easy way out while blaming it on a mental illness, a luxury you don't have. Oh and she does it while ruining something you actually enjoyed.

And I'm upset because I feel like you're not taking mental illness seriously, accusing someone without evidence, and being bitter about something unrelated.

I feel like we can end this by agreeing to disagree. Like I'm not even trying to be an asshole, if what i summarized is wrong, tell me.

>gaining money because of blaming mental illness
hold on that sounds like NEET bucks

>Meanwhile

Two lineart pages a week. Call me back when they're doing 10 in full colour.

Call me back when Ava's Demon actually puts out a page a week instead of less than a dozen panels and doesn't take months-long hiatuses.

Math isn't your strong suit, isn't it?

No. She has Polish surname but if she were a Pole the surname would have grammatical form different suffix.

Nice catty comeback, but ten panels can be more or less than a page depending on composition. Paranatural averages around 12 sometimes, some comics go for 2 or 3. AD just goes for panels, not even splashes or spreads most of the time.

You could try actually giving a retort instead of going "hurrr ur dum" if you'd like, but really, as much time as coloring takes she still doesn't have the same output, consistency or level of effort.

>Ava's Demon
>The equivalent of 10 full color comic pages a week.
God I love watching desperate fans reach.

She's an American of Polish decent, her father's surname was Czajkowski and in Anglo tradition you don't change last names based on gender. Also she's not ethnically Polish, but a Polish Jew, dunno if that could have had an impact on the naming scheme.

More like 6 a page and keep in mind that panels don't have to fully depict the whole scene. Your example was all close ups and an 'action' panel that's really just inky scribbles.

And don't think I didn't notice completely avoiding the lineart/full colour thing. I've seen Rem's full renders and they're awesome but if she was trying to do that in every page of Devil's Candy, she'd have the same issues as Michelle.

mental illness isn't real lol

>it's a fanboy 'art takes time despite the fact that everyone knows that' and impatient 'don't care if she's sick, she does this for money' argument thread

>'art takes time despite the fact that everyone knows that'
Evidently some don't know that, else this thread wouldn't exist.

>It's impossible to respect how time intensive art is but still criticize the length and frequency of an artist's breaks.

You're nearly as stupid as the fucker who thinks she stole money.
She's no Miura, but Michelle's breaks are a bit excessive.

patreon is a tip jar and should not be used or considered to be used to fund projects

My only crit is she sets the bar too high to keep consistent updates going but end of the day, she's making books, not gag-a-day newspaper comics.

Does anyone still pay attention to Dresden Codak?
Been months since update and Patreon says that fucker still draws 4200/m.

We hate that guy. That draws less attention than someone you like but are disappointed in.

People on Sup Forums are now acting like the creep that made her quit once.
It's pretty sad that you fell for some retard being mad someone isn't following rules he invented himself. You are what you pretend to hate,Sup Forums. They won.

>Dresden Codak

Oh man, if what I hear about him is true than there's a reason only a few threads about him pop up every so often.

???

Crazy thing is.. . . its true. All of it. Its all true

actually Its specifically for funding the artist's ongoing projects. that's why its a monthly system. That's why its called Patreon. Like a Patron, a person who gives money to someone to support them.

>Dresden Codak
People only payed attention to it when it was updating because of what a fucking mess it was, in regards to both story and panel layout. The art's fine but Diaz has no idea how to write characters, how to write a story, how to convey action and progression in a panel-based format, and is the definition of a pseudo-intellectual.

OK, then I really dont undestand
People pay him 4K a month for what? amputee waifu tease?

Yes
People are fucking retarded
Jeph Jacques, the creator of Questionable Content, is the webcomic artist that gets the most patreon bux by far
Fucking Questionable Content user

QC is not worth free.
that being said, its like a trainwreck. I dont know why I still read it

adding on
>it's a 'people talking out their ass episode'
funny the least productive board would expect the most of others. angryly even.

Just because some retards like you like to raed it, doesn't explain why people are PAYING FOR IT

>least productive board
But cartoonists/comic artists are confirmed to post here.

not for the board. They come there to steal actually, several "projects" started there with dail generals then when the guy making the thread got eough content, he disapeared and made things in solo, using everyboy's work as it as his won thing from scratch.

he gets 4k because at least 4k people saw his website thought his stuff looked cool signed up to give him $1 a month and then forgot about it.

I'm talking about people who work at CN and Marvel.

>A slav skipping work
Not surprising at all.

one productive person visiting a board =/= a productive board