Paranatural

my christmas gift to myself is not staying up another ten minutes coming up with good alt text

>Hey all, I'm going away for the holidays so Paranatural will be on break through New Years! There will be an art update on the 2nd when I get home and then a normal update on the 5th. Thanks for reading, hope you have some good times between now and then!

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/paranatural/comments/7ks818/increasing_suspicions_that_isaac_has_some_kind_of/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It is important to note that they're actually fighting in the men's bathroom and neither of them bothered to lock the door. So the question is who's going to interrupt them first?

God, he's completely lost all ability to draw a competent action scene. He's so into novel transitions that nothing ever flows well.

Well drawn action used to be a STRENGTH of this comic.

>who's going to interrupt them first?
Coach Oop in a callback to this classic, iconic moment.

>classic, iconic moment.
That was only about 2 minutes ago in story. Coach can't have that weak a bladder.

So what's the point of doing panel composition/lighting like this? It goes from cold to warm colors but the fight just jumps between attacks of the two characters, not the warm colored one slowly gaining advantage. The borderless panels flow smoothly into one another but it only makes the break between rows mess the tempo even more than it normally would; it actually works as a "NOPE" for the transition from the first to second row, but doesn't work at all for the second to third one. Then there's the spiral layout that also makes no sense; even though there is that move Isaac does, but it doesn't align with the spiral layout at all, instead just being shown flatly from the side with some cartoonish expressions.

Really, what's the fucking point? At this point the extremely still panels of the superhero comics from the first half of 20th century would work better than this crap.

This is what happens when your mind starts to poison itself with Tumblr. Honestly, why didn't any of us try to talk to Zack prior to his corruption? Why didn't we try to lead him away from this shit?

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH

I like the first 3 panels. HijackSpender is also pretty attractive

>holiday hiatus

Is it Wristmas already?

About our recent discussions about staying on model...

At least he's not pulling a Morbi, claiming he needs a week off for life troubles and taking the whole month.

Dude can't make a single page without wacky faces. This has got to stop. Not to mention that we were finally getting some sort of resolution to this chapter and now it's all thrown away for whatever this is.

Today I will remind them.

>That tornado
Always good to see artists develop.

We did. He dedicated that Sup Forums was too racist to listen to.

God eightfold's power was cool. Such a shame that's the only fight scene we got where Isabel uses it before she loses it.

From chapter 1. No meme transitions, no ebin Tasmanian Devil attacks, and barely any wacky faces. C!early, Zack bas grown as an artist.

>why didn't any of us try to talk to Zack prior to his corruption? Why didn't we try to lead him away from this shit?
He used to hang out in streams with two other comic artists and some of us were there for those.

Could post-wrist Zack even do proper justice to fight scenes with eightfold ? Did he write it out because he didn't dare to draw them anymore ?

>This is what happens when your mind starts to poison itself with Tumblr.
Fuck, this isn't even an exaggeration. I don't recall who it was but some of Zack's webcomic buddies had a circlejerk on Twitter a few months ago about how it's okay to not draw backgrounds and not put effort into your drawings sometimes "since it's hard to keep drawing backgrounds every page and you have to give yourself a break sometimes". What they were saying isn't even a ridiculous concept but what they really meant was just "boohoo i'm a suffering artist and nobody can criticize me". If you hang out with these crowds your art & work ethic are almost guaranteed to get worse.

Zack's art style was simply better back then. And now Zack knows how slow the comic is going so he tries to cram too much into one page. He doesn't give himself enough time to put a ton of effort into a single pose like and he tries to cope for that with making things goofy.

Please, unwrapping presents is probably going to knock his wrist out of commission until at least mid January.

I dropped this during the endless dodge ball match, has it sped up yet?

WACKY
FUCKING
FACES

Not really, but the plot has finally moved so you can now binge-read he whole chapter.

VP passes by and they convince her it was aurora borealis

Aurora Borealis!?

The comic was hand drawn back then and only colored digitally. Now Zack does it all digitally. How did using a drawing tablet ruin Zacks art so much? Does Photoshop havw some default setting that degrades line work?

he got webcomic AIDS from dating the monsterkind chick, there was nothing we could have done.

The artstyle of Monsterkind also deteriorated into blobby mushy schweet nonsense tho.

Man who didn't see a two week hiatus coming

>have character slam into background
>except there is no background so you can't even tell what they slammed into
Like, I can assume it's a wall but there's no sense of place or scale. Is the ceiling in this middle school bathroom 15 feet tall? What's going on here, Zack, you lazy hack?

Anyone got that WACKY FACES post around?

>He's grabbing onto the empty background to make a "panel"
inventive or lazy??? YOU decide.

both
tools were created to allow humans to be lazier

It's a codependent cancerous relationship.

Good point. If you want you characters to interact with the environment, they need to be in an environment in the first place.

Entirely contained within the mens bathroom

Honestly I dont even care anymore at this point. If the action scenes wont be good anymore just mash it all into as few pages as possible and get back to the story so this chapter can conclude in 2018

>so this chapter can conclude in 2018

It took 3 years but we nearly covered everything this chapter was supposed to have besides the orange spectral

It's obviously Dimitri and I thought he leaked his orange during Hitball

Hopefully that plot point can be resolved with a panel saying "It's Dimitri" and we can move on.

Isaac will straight up quit and Dmitri will join to make it quads again

why would they put his face on that shit meme?
why would you post it?

The meme is better than Sup Forums capeshit

>Another break
For fuck's sake, why can't he be more sensible and create several pages in advance and create a sort of buffer?
oh, right, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH

To be fair, holiday breaks are the one time when you have an excuse. It just looks really bad when you took like 20 other breaks earlier in the year.

Example of one of his good action scenes?

He didn't leak spectral energy, but he did do this.

My bad. It's still obviously him though

This and basically anything pre-chapter 5. Now we have characters interacting with backgrounds that literally don't exist. I don't care what his excuse is, this is laziness on the highest level no matter how you look at it.

>we have no idea whether dimitri being curved like that is part of his power or just stupid comic exaggeration

>no ebin Tasmanian Devil attacks
I dunno, a guy with storm powers doing that made sense to me.

I mean. it's pretty clear

The spinning makes sense, I was referring to way he lost all detail and turned into a blur with a face.

>52 weeks in 1 year
>2 updates a week = 104 updates a year
>Next week, Ch5 will be three years old
>Three years = 312 updates
>Actual update count: 243
>Zack has missed 69 updates throughout the entirety of Chapter 5
B R A V O unless my calculating skills have gone to absolute shit without me noticing

Can anyone shoop Isaac's face and arms off the tornado? I'm a dumb mobile poster.

Are there any better shots of nude Forge?

Keeping the pants was such a cop out

>not having Forge have a huge dangling hammer for a crotch

I agree with you.

*Quality may vary, of course.

>cluttered-ass top three panels
>that tornado
>bottom three panels look like they take place at a completely separate point in the fight
>no backgrounds
>teacher interacts with a non-existent background

Just give up desu

7 months of missed updates. 243 even includes each page in the multipage updates as seperate updates. Even if you add in the doodles and guest comics which arent included in the page number it makes sense when you remember in that 2015 Zack really did skip every second or third update, basically skipping half a year.

Because it made him basically the correct equilvelant to those tumblr kids who can't draw but nothing but squiggly lines from their Sai tablets. When you see the lines being drawn, you can see the unique form of lineart that makes things pop and look actually something you could read.

But the thing is about that line art process, it gets dated obviously overtime. But that line art is so unique and fucking fantastic, I would rather read the old chapters of Paranatural. Zack had it all, he should've just did the world a favor and keep working on his work and his ideals and just don't be a fucking dick.

Happened to his friend Hussie too.

Then we were doomed from the start.

I don't know why, but the buffering logo seems to make the reaction image even funnier.

I dropped this at dodgeball, from what I'm reading it didn't ever pick back up again in terms of quality?

It fell even further.

Aw. I had some fun catching up with it back then.

>5th panel
So, that page is implying to me that Johnny was already an (unawakened) spectral from the start?

Well, that was disappointing...I thought Johnny would stand out being an interesting, intimdating normie himself that would stand a chance by brawn alone against the spectrals. (of course, you have the other question of physics-powered spectrals like Max, Isaac and Spender are, but still!)

It's a curse that affects 99% of stories like this. Everyone gets powers eventually.

No. He became unawakened whenever he was possessed but before that he was just normal. Everyone is an unawakened spectral.

MEANWHILE ON THE PARANATURAL SUBREDDIT: Isaac may have minor hearing problems as effect of hosting Boom McStormo.

reddit.com/r/paranatural/comments/7ks818/increasing_suspicions_that_isaac_has_some_kind_of/

Thoughts?

An "unawakened spectral" is just a normal person. I don't remember if Zack explained it in comic or in the comments, but spirits can possess anyone and it'll slowly turn them into a spectral. The whalefrog was considering possessing Max's dad before choosing a tool instead. But yes, Johnny is going to become a spectral. No normies allowed.

There was also a theory that Suzy was going to pick up the possessed pencil from the end of chapter 3 and become a frosted pink spectral., but that was back in the stone age.

>PARANATURAL SUBREDDIT

What the fuck since when is this a thing

There's a subreddit for just about everything, but it's not like there's any better place to have persistent discussions since the comments section got deleted.

An "unawakened Spectral" is really just a normal individual without any connection to the supernatural whatsoever. It's only when a Spirit chooses to either inhabit a Tool that some person is drawn to pick up, or it just straight-up possesses them and turns them into a Medium, that they gain said Spirit's abilities and the capacity to interact with, and combat the supernatural.

Also yes, Johnny is in fact going to become a Spectral/Medium for Forge later on. It's practically a given at this point.

Cool dudes use the dead Paranatural forum

>dead Paranatural forum
>not remembering the deader dedicated Forumotion site

We talking about theories now?

One I heard is that the drinks that Violet has been guzzling at the school store are pink lemonade and orange juice, and thus her diet might become sufficiently obnoxious in how much citrus it has to make her be a spectral.

That's what I'm talking about

He gave infected her. She even wrote "My boyfriend (Zack) convinced me to take a month off from updating the comic."

If this means Isaac gets some diversity points for his disability and stops getting shit on thatd be great

Nah I ain't gonna stop shitting on him, not while he remains a shallow, one dimensional chuuni faggot

>Characters are now interacting with non-existent backgrounds

It's like he's allergic to them, what the fuck happened.

Were wrist issues that common before chapter 5 and the latest art shift?

A normal person gets possessed by a spirit. Does that person's spectral color automatically match the spirit's? For example, would Max's dad have become blue?

>shallow, one dimensional
We had a whole thread reminscing on how he wasn't shallow before, user. He's now just as flanderized as the rest of the cast.

>chuuni
Reminder that Zack had to put an entire page just to explain his grade when it could've been done earlier...he could've just kept Isaac being 12 anyway - brings out a lot more ambiguity among the AC kids which would propel for more character traits to differentiate between them, IMO. Dismissing Isaac's "angsty" behaviour as "teenage moods" is cheap and ridiculous when you have someone like Max "lost-his-mum-and-snarks-as-coping-mechanism" Puckett aside.

Yall are full of shit. The comic's not bad.

Same reason everyone has monkey ears now.
Cuz it is easier and his fans will eat it up.

Ah, you must be Zack's girlfriend Taylor Kaye! What an unexpected surprise to see you here! Do tell us, is your bf doing well mentally and physically? Especially on the physical part - I hear his wrist sprain was pretty bad.

AAAAAGH

man, remember when the wacky faces didn't look so out of place?

Forgot to wash his hands.

The point was that it shows the transition from Hijack piloting Spender in his usual fighting style, using threads and a calm and composed fighting style, losing control, and then transitioning into beast mode where he stops pretending to be human.