Creator of gravity falls writing a pokemon movie

>creator of gravity falls writing a pokemon movie
>Mario getting a theatrical film

is Nintendo finally coming out of the fallout shelter after the fucking nuke that was the super Mario bros movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jhGW8ZREBco
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-cpqE-efw
youtube.com/watch?v=PyKBLQgXM_k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

judging by the studio making it, there's a good chance the new Mario movie is going to be another nuke

think they saw sonic boom and didnt even want to let sonic have one thing over mario

Thank you for pointing this out, I’m honestly terrified of what illumination might do. If it doesn’t get shelved like the zelda movie it might wake people up to how shallow and braindead their movie formula is... but that’s about all the good I can see coming from it.

are you ready to see the mario bros dab at the koopa haters, user? ready to see some twerking goombas to a beyonce dance number at the end?

>the fucking nuke
I would have said 'box office bob-bomb'.

Surely Nintendo would keep them in line?

No offense but for as colorful as Mario's world is, was the story of the games ever THAT inspired or innovative? I was under the impression that it was the gameplay and design sense that drew people to Mario, not the story. So a movie about it would probably be pretty shallow to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, Illumination is a shit and I don't want them within ten miles of any meaningful or likable property, but Mario doesn't exactly lend itself to being a film with a groundbreaking storyline.

Redpill me on why Illumination is bad aside from "MINIONS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".

They absolutely will. It's a known fact that one of the prerequisites for them agreeing to the idea was that Miyamoto himself gets final approval of the story.

Their movies succeed because of a shoestring budget.

Well its hard to talk about Illumination Animation without talking about Minions, because approximately half of their film catalog is Minions related (Despicable Me and its sequels, Minions, the Minions specials, etc). The only stuff that isn't Minions related is a few mid to shit tier original movies and The Lorax. None of their original content (Hop, Secret Lives of Pets, Sing) is particularly innovative or amazing and The Lorax rather bluntly missed the point of the original material.

It's not that they're the worse ever. It's that they're so astoundingly mediocre almost all the time, and when they're not mediocre they're flat out awful. And yeah, they're heavily stuck on the Minions thing because its basically the one thing they've made that's had lasting appeal in merchandise despite pretty much everyone besides braindead kids and stay at home moms hating the little bananas.

So basically "MINIONS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"?

....Sure, whatever.

If you call Despicable Me 3 shoestring, I think a Mario movie could look great a shoestring budget.

Despicable Me 1 and 2 were good tho.

this is very true. Dialogue is largely absent in Mario games so that would make it even more difficult. The appeal does not lie in any story being told.

It's going to be very interesting seeing if they even bother to give any of the characters depth. I'm honestly almost laughing out loud at the thought of Mario having an arc where he learns to "be himself" or "learn to care" or something they will probably come up with.

oh god

I hope so. I feel like Miyamoto would murder someone if they made a mario character twerk.

Everyone but Mario should talk and he should mime his way through the movie like in SMRPG.

>I'm honestly almost laughing out loud at the thought of Mario having an arc where he learns to "be himself" or "learn to care" or something they will probably come up with.

Come to think of it, what the hell is Mario's character's motivation to begin with? Was it princess poon? Because he failed spectacularly if that's the case.

>despite pretty much everyone besides braindead kids and stay at home moms hating the little bananas

you forgot to mention Chinese audiences

also I agree. Mediocre can be worse than really bad though. I'd rather see an enjoyably shitty film than a completely stale film that is completely forgettable.

Mario is just a fun little man who loves his friends and is willing to do anything to help them and always save the day. He is just a good guy. And I'm happy with that.

This is actually a really good idea.

...That actually is kinda great. I want that Mario in the Mario movie.

Oh yeah. I swear China is keeping the majority of bad animated movies from bombing nowadays.

Nintendo has a lot of characters that do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. Mario, Link, Kirby, the Earthbound cast, etc..

Well Minions are just Rabbids and Mario had a game with Rabbids and I don't really know where I'm going with this.

the 1993 character profile they put together for him is so good. Nobody can resist the mario who is chipper and heroic. If they go with anything, I want it to be that Mario.

Movies that have impressive visuals but a flawed or lackluster story do great anyways overseas since it's probably easier to ignore the story to begin with. It doesn't surprise me that studios keep making films that follow that formula since there's so much to gain and so little to lose.

Their Despicable Me series is the only thing halfway decent that the company has ever produced. Everything else ranges from abominations to excessively (and thankfully) forgettable.

>He can figure out how to ride a giant egg to safety
All the other examples besides this one can be found in pre-'93 Mario games (if you're confused about the air currents, that's SMB2j). Now I'm wondering if this was based on some prerelease element of Yoshi's Island or Super Mario RPG that didn't make the cut, or even something from the rumored 3D Super FX Mario game that never got made.

>currents
*Thermals. My bad. And it was SMW, not SMB2j, but the rest of my post still stands. WHAT giant egg?

In retrospect, reading this list, I can't really think of an adaptation of the character that doesn't have exactly these traits. Even the live action, for all its supreme failings, had a Mario that was adventurous, brave, curious, resourceful, and tolerant.

... I honestly have no idea. Maybe we'll finally get to see Mario's backstory with the giant egg and it'll get its own solo movie after that!

it's true. The movie may be bad, but it still has a weird charm to it. I think bob hoskins might also be partially responsible for that though...

I suspect they might be talking about Birdo's eggs from SMB2.

I wonder how alex Hirsch will handle the pokemon movie
will it have the same witty/funny dialogue like gravity falls?
or will they castrate him and make him diss any and all creative thinking.

That pretty much describes any silent protagonist. That's all well and good for a video game character, but as far as actual defining character goes, that might as well just say "Mario is a plumber. He goes on adventures." Because until you start adding things on top of that that contradict expectations, all of the things in that sheet of paper are pretty much implied.

I want them to make Mario cute. Like really cutesy.
Just to defy expectations, I hate how the first instinct parodists do with him is to make him gruff and realistic, I'd like the movie to go the opposite way of that.

So is he going to be writing a movie for the television show, or one detached from the Pokeani? Like Origins or Generations or whatever.

The Mario Brothers movie is a masterpiece

The Lorax at least is technically impressive movie. It's one of the better looking CG films, but has a terrible script.

If Illumination replaced everyone in their staff but their animators and artists they'd could do something good.

look at this little guy!

I think the worst thing is that there's conceivable evidence that there was a pre-script that was at least decent, including darker songs and a bit of a different protagonist. Even non pretty boy concept art of the Once-ler leaked at some point. I don't know if it's true but I heard Aubrey wasn't even in the original script and that Ted's motivation was supposed to be that he was a greedy little shit that wanted to have a tree because no one else did.

Illumination Animation's biggest problem seems to be that they have a serious conflict when it comes to executive meddling. They have plenty of TECHNICALLY talented people and qualified artists but nearly every movie they make is weighed down by shit like this.

But he already is cute in canon

>box office bob-bomb

no, from what I heard its a mystery dungeon type thing
I may be wrong though

Yeah, Lorax is one of those movies that is very frustrating because there's a little spark of quality here and there and a whole lot that you can see has been cut in production.
It's not really a Cool World or Monkeybone style "what could have been" trainwreck though. It's largely competent but completely mediocre.

Oh yeaahhhh... that's probably it. Thanks, user.

>it's being made by Illumination
>Toads and/or Goombas will become the next Minions

It's going to suck.

The Mario rpgs like Paper Mario have dialogue, plot, characters, world building etc. But they're not really set in the main Mario universe and also less well known which is a shame. Paper Mario: The Movie featuring partners from 1 and 2 would be awesome.

>Goombas will be Minions
>All the dialogue will be someone saying wacky things in the middle of action scenarios
>Bowser will either be boring as shit or obnoxiously goofy and played by a washout comedy actor

Lorax

>plumber
>going on adventures
>doesn't contradict expectations

what kind of fucking plumbers do you talk to?

One's that some good weed.

youtube.com/watch?v=jhGW8ZREBco

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-cpqE-efw

Illumination isn't that bad. Minions was obviously a cash in but it still had some neat ideas and kept itself consistent. I think they'll get it right.

>see some twerking goombas to a beyonce dance number at the end?
That would be great though

I dunno, despite everything, Illumination movies are certainly charming and have a great deal of whackyness. Also, they do know how to show non-verbal communication. And the Mario Franchise relies on that more than pretty much every other video game franchise. Mario and Illumiation is a match made in heaven and they would complement each other fairly well.

I don't think Mario talking is bad, but the voice is going to be hard.
I think Mario is best when he's essentially a brave and determined guy, but somewhat naive. The ideal Mario movie should take cues from the comic in how the world is set up, how Mario and Luigi act, and for what type of villain Bowser is.

Detective Pikachu. Ryan Reynolds set to voice him.

Illumination have never made a truly bad movie. They're lazy and uninspired, but even stuff like Minions is reasonably amusing.

Illumination Mario is not going to be great, but it's going to be better than something like The Emoji Movie.

>Detective Pikachu
>Written by the Creator of Gravity Falls
>Co-written by the screenwriter of Guardians of the Galaxy
Neat.
>Directed by the director of Shark Tale
It's gonna be shit.

He's a plumber from Brooklyn you autist. Sure he can be hopeful and the good guy but a plumber from Brooklyn (or any middle-class worker from any of the 5 burrows) should be rough around the edges otherwise the material becomes unbelievable and unwatchably cringe-worthy.

>the fucking nuke that was the super Mario bros movie
It was my favorite movie growing up. I made my dad rent it all the time.
I even wanted a set of 'Stompers' but obviously Nintendo didn't take the opportunity to try marketing a toyline based on the movie.
Probably a smart move not to, though.

Monkeybone's still good, just look past the bad edit

SHUT UP, MOVIEBOB!
You were more upset about that movie being made than your own father passing.

but there were toys

>Mario talks about as much as Ferb does, generally quiet guy, lets his actions do the talking, his biggest flaw is that he’s relentlessly competitive
>Luigi is more talkative but way more awkward, less adventurous, more emotional, assista E. Gadd with science and science accessories
>Peach is childhood friend/girl-next-door
>Bowser is basically himself from the M&L games

truth be told, i’ve been considering making a BitF-esque mario comic, pls b gentle nintendo

I hope we get Danny DeVito as Bowser

He's not from Brooklyn.

>>Peach is childhood friend/girl-next-door

Add in a few scenes like from Smash Brothers where she just does not give a fuck about personal danger anymore and it's golden.

God shut up you retard. Why do we even bother trying to have actual animation discussion when memelord run the place.

>tfw there will never be an animated series a la Subspace Emissary
>tfw there may never be a Smash Bros story mode ever again

So, what do you think the movies are going to be like?
>Mario is Princess' royal plumber
>Something something toilet jokes
>Bowser/DK kidnaps her
>Mario saves the day, dance party ending

His motivation is cake. Apparenty Peach makes the best cake in the universe

Thanks, Aardman

>>Directed by the director of Shark Tale
Bergeson or Jenson? Because Bergeson would at least be passable, he was director on El Dorado and A Monster In Paris. Shark Tale is more a blight on his mildly iffy resume. Jenson's an absolute no hope nightmare though, the only arguably good thing she's directed was Shrek.

>montage of Peach and Mario growing up and Peach almost getting herself killed twelve times a year and not even noticing

>Dance party ending
>Do the Mario!

I will accept no other dance party ending.

Is illumination also doing the animation for the Pokémon movie?

It’s a live action movie made by Legendary

Neither, Rob Letterman. He also did Gulliver's Travels and Goosebumps.

>Shark Tale had three directors
What the fuck?

I'm not excited for it at all, but at the same time I fucking KNOW that Nintendo were/are likely incredibly involved with the movies production.

Mario is way too solidified and iconified as a brand an image for Illumination to go and do it's own thing creatively. It's not as if Nintendo sold them the movie rights to their most profitable asset only for them to say "THANKS, NOW YOU GO DO YOUR OWN THING AND WE'LL GET BACK TO YOU WHEN IT'S FINISHED!" If it doesn't fit into the Mario brand then Nintendo won't publish it. Simple as that.

It'll be generic, passable, probably incredibly mediocre. But it won't be un-mario like.

They would have to use a mixture of miming and saying few words.

nintendo is pretty strict, they probably won't be allowed to go too far i hope

>>creator of gravity falls writing a pokemon movie
What?

>It’s a live action movie made by Legendary
WHAT???

>t. Optimistic person who is actually right but will be ignored or eaten alive for speaking his mind.

Their entire repertoire is safe, feel-good family comedies that are successful with "normies" that don't particularly fall in line with whatever the average Sup Forums user's tastes are

Illumination is the most safe option actually--the most likely to make a generic movie that will do well on brand name alone. The Super Mario Bros movie was a complete spectacle in bizarreness

>twerking goombas
>mfw that reminded me of that GaijinGoomba video

And Deadpool is voicing Pikachu.

We are living in the best timeline.

Do you think Illumination could direct a good action scene? Because I want to see something like this happen in the movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=PyKBLQgXM_k

Better have Charles Martinet do the voice

Knowing how anal Nintendo is with their properties, they are gonna keep Illumination on a tight leach

Let's talk about the elephant in the room. A Western Animation Studio making a Mario film means Mario is an emasculated butt monkey loser while Peach is an unrealistically competent twat oozing with Gurl Powah. And no, I don't care if this shit happened in the irrelevant Nintendo Power Comics. I don't like Gurl Powah shit which is what would likely happen to a Mario animated flick. The idea of a useless damsel woman is simply not politically correct. Not by the standards of loser Westerners.

But what if twerking shygals from -8

People are saying Goombas or Toads are going to be the minions of this movie but honestly, I'm going with Shy Guys.

I don't think the new Mario movie being good is impossible.

It's improbable. Unlikely. But not impossible.

Super Mario Bros Z will forever be the king of Mario action.