Why does Sup Forums hate Rick & Morty so much?

Why does Sup Forums hate Rick & Morty so much?

Because it's popular.

I don't. I mean, I haven't watched it since season 3 ended, but I don't hate it.

Because its so low effort comedy. The writers obviously don't care, basically saying random shit and making up nonsense words because its cancerous fanbase will lap it up like its profound. If they don't care, why should I?

Because it's incredibly pretentious and panders to the lowest common denominator

Rick and Morty has failed as a piece of media. Not because it didn’t have a good message, not because it espoused abhorrent views or failed at telling its story and developing its characters. It failed because it cultivated an audience that was fundamentally opposed to hearing what it had to say. If you’ve baked a cheesecake whose most vocal proponents are people with lactose intolerance who consume your product and then walk around farting loudly and shitting everywhere because of your cheesecake, you’ve failed as a baker. If you’ve written a show that subverts archetypes of bad ass loner rebels who are withdrawn alcoholics by making them canonically terrible people but your most public fans dress up as that character and stab other people, you’ve failed as a writer.

I DON’T think this is the fault of the writers - Rick literally has said multiple times that he’s terrible, that he’s reprehensible and that he shouldn’t be looked up to. The writers have done everything to make this point clear to the audience up to literally opening a season by having Rick talk directly into the camera and saying “I’m the villain, I’m the bad guy and if you knew me I would hate you and would abuse you until you hated me too and then I would destroy you. This does not make me enlightened or cool - it makes me pathetic, and if you look at me with anything short of animosity, disdain and pity, you need help and should call this mental health services line.” I’m not confident even this would work.

There's more hate for the fandom than there is for the show.

The audience has made Rick and Morty a failure and it has proven to me unequivocally that the archetypes the show works so hard to subvert are themselves unsubvertible. You cannot have a character who is a “compelling depressed man of tremendous power who is irreparably broken and only grows into a worse person as he finds new opportunities to disappoint those who value him” because the people who most need the sorts of stories such a character can impart stop paying attention after the word ‘power.’ The people that understand the message you’re relaying already know it.

The creators, specifically Dan Harmon, believe that successful shows pander the fuck out to their audiences, and when pandering backfires blame the producer's behind them for 'forcing' them to pander. The show wouldn't be hated if Dan Harmon was in no way associated with the production of the show.

Because it's trash and Dan Harmon sucks

It doesn't understand the subjects it jokes about and is highly overrated. It's like the big bang theory of animation.

Yeah this p much

It's a fun cartoon, shove your TOO DEEP MESSAGES up your ass.

Same reason why Sup Forums hates anime when it airs on toonami.

That being said, after the schezuan sauce shitshow the R&M fanbase is definitley brony tier when it comes to their autism.

Sup Forums here
I don't hate it
suck a dick

It interrupted samurai jack one time before Sup Forums started to hate that too.

Because it's not as smart as it thinks, it's message isn't profound just because Ricks depressed and I don't care about the biseason "random" episode.

Kinda ironic considering that was a dude from co acting autistic.

It wasn’t like that. From what I hear, people on here real liked Season 1.

The divide really started to manifest right around Season 2 when the show started forcing a catchphrase in almost every episode. But still, the bulk of Season 2 was solid with a few misses.

Season 3 was where the show dropped the fucking ball. Every episode (with the exception of Episodes 1, 7, and maybe bits of 10) were nothing but meme bait garbage that were writen by diversity hires who didn’t know what made R&M Special and just looked at reddit and went, “Yeah, this is our core audience”.

I don't hate it. I just think that it became less funny after season 1. They using using unsatisfying drama and plotlines that go nowhere in place of actual jokes and funny situations.

Faggot

It's alright.
I haven't watched the third season but S1-S2 were decent. I didn't like it nearly as much as my friends do though. Wasn't funny, characters are kind of meh but, aside from character designs, it's visually fine and it has some interesting concepts for cartoon standards.

I don't hate it.

To be fair, you have to have a really high IQ to hate Rick and Morty

this would be the truth for any show other than R&M

This.

Lmao, you're not evil, you're smart. Burp, God isn't real. Mmmmmm, get schwifty and watch TV. Nothing matters, Jerry.

No idea, I thought it was hilarious and the relationships are dysfunctional and weird. It's very entertaining.

This. Rick and Morty is one of those things that fell victim to the fans vs hipsters battle that spin out of control. You have the contrarians falseflagging pretending to be fans and exaggerating the quality until other fools fall for it and getting angry at the fans for liking it too much, then everything turns to shit. The "rick and morty high iq herp derp" bullshit is driving me nuts. It's not a "smart" show and nobody believes that nonsense. It has moments of wit like any other cartoon. Shut the fuck up about it.

On top of that, Rick's character change from S1-S3 was just terrible. In S1, Rick was akin to Irving Zisman from Bad Grandpa crossed with Doc Brown. He wasn't overly maliciously or inherently cruel. He was a super-genius who loved going on adventures with his dopey grandson, and had little care for safety or self preservation. In S2-S3, the writers dialed his dickishness to 11 and ripped the knob off. He basically became Bloo crossed with Brian Griffin and Doctor Weird. He turned to into a selfish, pseudo-intellectual dick who views his family the same way he views a hamster. He's a god-like genius and everyone might as well be a dog that lick its nuts.
Plus he's a total hypocrite who scoffs at the idea of family and love, yet is pushed to brink of suicide when no one wants to be around him for being dick.

>Plus he's a total hypocrite who scoffs at the idea of family and love, yet is pushed to brink of suicide when no one wants to be around him for being dick.

That's the whole fucking point of his character. He has had family he lost and is afraid to feel connected because it hurts so much, he has to constantly drink to numb that pain. However it slips through the cracks that he does care about them despite his cold at times attitude.

I don't hate it. It just stopped being funny. And the episodes I liked weren't good enough to rewatch, so I was no longer interested in the show.

S3 had only two good episodes, the rest were what the fuck.

We don't hate the show, we hate its popularity and cancerous normalfag popularity

because its reddit and morty now.
the fuck normalfags like it, its mainstream. and that means we hate it.
fucking normies
REEEEEE

Rick doesn't do anything the writers' don't think is cool.

reddit likes it

But that's the problem. The show wants to have it both ways. If it was Rick struggling towards some kind of redemption it would be interesting. As it is, the show is a never ending loop of Rick prying his leg out of a trap, resetting the trap, then sticking his leg right back into the trap. At a certain point its impossible to care.

Cause show is made for reruns, it needs resets, it cant function as one long story. It's why SU is failing so hard in views, content in that long story format where previous episodes needing to be seen to know what the fuck is going on dont work in TV format, only on netflix/youtube.

Fpbp
/thread

>tfw too intelligent to enjoy Rick and Morty

I think SU is falling hard because Stevenbombs are written like they're one combined episode instead of five separate ones. So in reruns, it feels like getting 1/5th of an episode.

Describes pretty much every cartoon/fandom

It's less "Sup Forums hates rick and morty", I mean there's been multiple ongoing threads on it that reach bump limit during its airing. It's mostly the edgy redditor crossposters that spam retarded memes in /r/cringeanarchy about le sjws or post screens over to /r/Sup Forums. There's literally zero voice of support for the damn show outside of it's own subreddit, even the normalfags around the site shut up about it.
These kids treat the show like they do tumblr retards: they strawman the worst low hanging fruit socjus has to offer and circlejerk the everloving shit out of each other while bashing the same shit over and over again. That isn't to say that /r/ick and m'orty's own fanbase on reddit isn't absolute cancer, but most of the shit they make fun of don't even originate from the subreddit but Sup Forums and other places doing it ironically.

Although, another good reason Sup Forums may hate the show is because they've somehow came onto it as not a show of fun adventures between the casts in the name of the show, but instead latched onto the family drama, specifically jerry, like the cynical old fucks they are.
Sure season 3 was a fuckfest of jerrybashing led by none other than dan harmon, but jerry was always just a side character they'd use for gags, parodying the average american family and how fucked up most are. The thing I like most about it is how it implies that trying your best should not lead to a life of fufillment if you're shit at what you do. Basically equal opportunity, which is ironically what reddit and co. despise.
You know what, maybe I could just sunmarise my wall of text with one word, Sup Forumsmblr.

We don't, we just get tired of arguing with entitled, spastic asslords who can't get over their aspies and let other people like a thing without making it into some sort of aspie purity test

Honest opinion here. I don't find the humor of the show to be that funny.

>I get it, it ain't makin' me laugh, but I get it.

That describes Rick and Morty for me. I watched season 1 and said "okay, this is sometimes funny, sometimes cringy. Whatever...".

Then season 2 came out and I had the same opinion until the "show me what you got episode aired". Something about that episode just made me go from accepting to disliking the series outright.

I didn't watch the remainder of season 2 and only caught one episode of season 3. Which I thought wasn't funny. The humor attempted was just poor attempts at humor that were shoved in the viewer's face. No build up. No smart moment that made me chuckle. It felt like I was watching an animated version of the Big Bang Theory where the joke had to be constantly spelled out for the lowest common viewer because everyone has to laugh together due to pandering.

I could care less if the show is popular or not. I enjoyed Futurama during its original and later runs. If "normies" who only vomit out catchphrases or memes like the show. I don't care.

our guy

I mean, it's alright, I don't hate it, it's not the comedic masterpiece everyone makes it out to be but it's a fun time if you watch it with friends

You're confusing the blabbering of rick as humor, rather than the sitcom style jokes they make throughout the show. We get it, you don't like what he's saying because it cuts deep / you take it personally / you hate the john oliver style brainwashing-masqueraded-as-jokes shit, but it's not the only "humor" the show has to offer.
You say you don't care if normies watch the show yet you point it out. This may be anecdotal but my friends who watch rick and morty also watch futurama. You're trying to infer that futurama is not a normie show while stating that you like it, then throwing in an >inb4, when it's obvious that the show stood out to you because it wasn't tainted by normies.

This nigga gets it

yet you point out the fact that normies like to "vomit out catchphrases or memes". *

I gotta start proofreading my shit

>You're confusing the blabbering of rick as humor, rather than the sitcom style jokes they make throughout the show.
Okay, you have me there.

>We get it, you don't like what he's saying because it cuts deep / you take it personally / you hate the john oliver style brainwashing-masqueraded-as-jokes shit, but it's not the only "humor" the show has to offer.
More of the John Oliver style brainwashing as the same joke gets stale after being repeated nonstop.

>You say you don't care if normies watch the show yet you point it out.
I used a bad example. Another user in a previous thread used Futurama vs R&M as the baseline argument regarding what can be viewed as a popular fandom vs popular for the everyman. I thought it was a good allegory and tried to parrot it back, badly.

yeah same with Batman TAS and Spongebob seasons 1-3

>third
It's not a bad argument, but a few people on Sup Forums have agreed that the show went downhill a bit after the first few episodes. Not too bad, but it's there. If you look at mainstream cartoons like simpsons and south park you see the same trend too, therefore I feel the argument that less popular = good is moot.
Don't let the fandom ruin it for you also extends to not letting those who hate the fandom ruining it for you. You might see people hating on pickle rick memes and such but that doesn't make the episode any worse, imo it's one of the best due to it actually having action and adventure in a drama-filled season. Not saying you should bother with S3 though, it's pretty bad overall, and I had to skip through the counselor bullshit in that same episode every time it came up.

I don't like it because my IQ isn't high enough to understand it.

It's new and popular. In ten years people will talk about how great R&M was and shit on anything that's trendy or popular in ten years.

A show that:

>Mocks Sup Forums media
>Criticizes every single mainstream thing despite being mainstream itself
>Dislikable characters that only assholes relate to
>Takes its cynical core to the maximum but brings nothing new to the table

It's a parody taking too far off. It's empty, it shoots itself in its foot, because it wants to create meaning but has nothing meaningful itself.

It's a show that has nothing to return to because there's no core. It's popcorn entertainment, easily disposable.