Sell me on DOOM

Why exactly does Sup Forums have a raging boner for Doom? To me he seems like BatWank: EXTREME Edition. He's an overcompensating gyppo with an inferiority complex who writers self-insert as, but in their quest to make him look bad-ass, he just comes across like a bipolar guy with deep self-hating issues who just rages against the world, but is too much of a pussy to be actually evil. Plus, he goes from a black-hating racist to an Islamist-apologist, and from an Honorable King to a Depraved Monster in the span of issues. Highly inconsistent.

So why does Sup Forums like an inconsistent character with sloppy motivations who exists only as a self-insert?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KSZ4tSoumNk
youtube.com/watch?v=zZMg9ryeWOw
youtu.be/kjIVkl34Vig?t=16
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This baffles me too. He is a played out and boring villain. I also don't get the obsession with Black Manta either.

Because despite all the writing flaws and self inserts and all that, DOOM is what a supervillain is supposed to be. Smart, cold, melodramatic. When a Doomfag thinks of Doom they see what the perfect villain. No edgy "blub blub my life is bad so Ima kill evwybody". Doom is a villain who does his work out of necessity and selfishness, which is what a villain should be. He wants to rule the world and he hates his hero, basic as it gets. Of course writers are retarded so they put him in wacky shenanigans but whatever. Tl:dr, Doom is a good villains wet dream because he just is

>Dat Pseudo Naziflag

If anything, americans have a raging boner for WW2 germany.

He's petty but grandiose, schemingly cunning yet utterly myopic. He's the supervillain's supervillain. He's self-defeating because of his own tragic flaws of hubris, while at the same time still remaining competent.

Dr Doom is the Platonic ideal of a supervillain archnemesis. Does he have some issues? Yes. No one is perfectly alright with themselves and the world and also a supervillain. As with any character, we must sweep past particulars and try and reach for the core of the character that transcends any particular writer, which is a bonus when one considers some of his arc.

Doom is a very direct and simple villain in his motivations. He hates Reed, he also loves himself. Everything is derived from those two first principles. He loves himself, and he wants the world to know, so Latveria is at times a grim utopia. He has traits which are admirable, but entirely non-redemptive.

autistic characters resonate with this audience

TL DR: he's generic as fuck

You don't have to tl dr it, they literally state the entire thesis in the first two sentences.

what do you like in a villian user?

I'm not hard up on DOOM but it was funny as hell watching niggas lose their shit when Lang whooped on his metal ass a couple of years back.

Sure.

Here's the trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=KSZ4tSoumNk

This is the soundtrack:
youtube.com/watch?v=zZMg9ryeWOw

This is how the gameplay feels:
youtu.be/kjIVkl34Vig?t=16

I like him because he's a petty vain fuck who's not really sadistic. He wants to help, but it's his way or the highway. He sees himself as the good guy, but he has waaaaaay too much anger and hatred for minimal things. And yeah, I do headcanon him as a xenophobic, racist asshole. That's his thing. He's an asshole. He acts like a Medieval King and he's an asshole with all kinds of baggage and negative traits that are outshined by his willpower and belief that he truly is the hero.

Guy is entertaining.

>Racist
There’s only one Racist Big 2 “Hero” user.

Doom is just a power fantasy for every self absorbed autist.

It lets them feel better about the state of their country

He's a celebration of the archetypical villain. He should have chained heroines by his throne more often.

But user, Doom’s a feminist, pro-immigration, pro-racemixing, pro-globalist, Gypsy-celebrating, whippipo-hating SJW! Why would he chain powerful womyn in his dungeon?

Because he'd break the 4th wall and punch your face for spouting such memedrivel.

>To me he seems like BatWank: EXTREME Edition.
It is exactly what he is.

People get all upset when Batman punches Superman, but Doom destro=ies omnipotent beings using bombs when the same fags think this is high literature.

Writing him is easy. Just make him do shit that are utterly ridiculous, and voilá. His fans think that even "Doomwar" is the best comic book ever written.

A little of originality, something that doom completelly lacks, he's unironically less original than parody characters

What is it with these "Sell me on X" threads?

Go read a fucking comic. If you like Doom, fine. If you don't fine.

Mostly I just like the ham.

He’s a villain that actually wins on occasion (so there is actual dramatic tension as you dont just assume the hero will win from page one) and doomwank is fun so long as you don’t take it too seriously. It also makes it fun to laugh at him because of hw ridiculous he is. One of the most feared and successful villains and paragons of what humanity can achieve is at his core nothing more than a petty little man upset that somebody else is better than him. Doomwank still has that fun element to it. Batwank on he other hand has mostly forgotten how to laugh at itself and actually takes itself seriously. LEGO Batman is a great example of how such over the top plot armor can be handled without wearing out it’s welcome.

How "fun" was Doom killing omnipotent beings using bombs? Did you have a good laugh?

Is "Doomwar" better than "Final Crisis", since Doomwank is fun while Batmanwank isn't?

>originality

There's nothing new under the sun.

You're young now, you either haven't seen it all yet or you're just beginning to realize you have and don't know what to do with yourself over it. Eventually you'll get old enough to realize the hunt for novelty is futile. When that happens, you can either spend the rest of your life whining about how everything's the same like a douchebag, or you'll figure out which tropes and clichés you're okay with or even make you happy.

Which of those two existences sounds less miserable to you?

Fancy discourse to defend Doom's lack of originality.

Because he can actually do everything the heroes can do, just at a B level instead of an A level. He can do magic, just not as well as Dr Strange, he's a genius engineer but not as good as tony stark, genius scientist but not as good as reed, etc.

>Literally good at everything imaginable
Characters have been called "Mary Sue" for much less.

You haven't answered question user

I like villains that aren't the author's pet.

Is this a new Namorfag?

Yeah Doomfags are the worst fanboys.

That inconsistence comes more from the lack of editors and writers not knowing their shit. Hickman's version sucks on way and looks like power fantasy, Waid and JMS' version sucks for coming across a too petty and villainous.

He's not supposed to be so much like Batwank because, while he's pretty smart, resourceful and could probably run the world well, he's petty. His thing is getting ultimate power and always losing it in the last minute. He can't keep his shit together because he's too arrogant.

As for why we love him... like Megamind said, supervillains are all about presentation. DOOM dares to be cheesy.

Aren't you getting your stories mixed? The "Final Crisis" style shit was more the bombs thing.
"Doomwar" was Doom vs. Black Panther. While till a bit too out of character, it was a better version of Doom and the story was fun enough.

You can blame that on those trying to copy him, young man. Like that "Vader" upstart.

>There's nothing new under the sun.
Bullshit, I know where this is going, I will say for example superman and then you will make the absurd forced claim that he's not original because some classic figure that is nothing like superman is "really strong too!!".

Waid's Doom is the only good Doom.

All the others writers were too busy jerking off while writing how the manipulative murderous despot was totally a nice guy. Waid was the one that reminded them that a murderous petty despot who kills people when they stop clapping for him is NOT a nice guy. Marvel writers were literally too dumb to understand something that simple, and so is the average Doomfag.

He would never lose if he was a mary sue, he still can't handle the fantastic 4 bringing their A game

Doom is so over the top it's endearing. He talks big, and can back it up. He has both super science and magic under, so no storyline he's in is tainted by autists screaming about consistency and power levels. He's sympathetic and yet a straight up villian at the same time. He has clear goals and characterization that stands out from the rest. If you dislike Doom you dislike fun and actually good characterization.

Actually he tried to make a perfect cartoony villain into some EXTREME bullshit like most early 00s comics. He didn't get it right at all.

>He can't keep his shit together because he's too arrogant
That always sounded like a petty excuse for plot, unless he's literally autistic it makes no sense that he wouldn't avoid previous mistakes.

He's not Autistic, Reed is. Doom's problem is that he's just not as smart. He stretches himself too thin by trying to cover everything and so he makes mistakes. He's arrogant, not on the spectrum.

>If you dislike Author's Pet you dislike fun
What an easy to please fella.

>good characterization
>Dr Doom
Pick one

Victor behaviour is clearly autistic,
>Doom demand you to stop punching Doom in the face because Doom is great!

Also, the guy fucked his own face by wearing the mask while it was still too hot.

How is that not autistic?

Doom was ok until they made him kill Valeria just like that. That killed his character to me. It was completely out of his characterisation of decades.

Don't confuse internet Autism with real autism. He doesn't have a problem with noises or crowds. He doesn't have OCD or suffer from sensory overload. He's just too vain, so in his mind the scar meant that it was all pretty much over, so he might as well fuck up his face and be done with it. it was an extreme way of abandoning his old life and adopting the persona of DOOM.

>He's just too vain, so in his mind the scar meant that it was all pretty much over, so he might as well fuck up his face and be done with it.
What an autistic line of thought.

Dude. He might have everything figured out, ultimate power, everyone on his side, but someone even hints RICHARDS did a calculation slightly better, he loses his spaghetti right there. It' not a petty excuse, it's a weakness. He hates being second best.

Chris Chan got no problem with noises or crouds and he doens't seem to have OCD.

Ah, so you're Namorfag 2.0, but you you have a Doom hateboner. Fine, I'm not wasting anymore time.

That isn't autism, it's another kind of mental issue, like a warped narcissist or megalomaniac reaction, etc

only best stories become canon, ergo that never happened, yada yada

Not him but fuck off, trying to label people who don't like your husbandu only expose your autism

You're like those ponifags crying "anti brony!" or furfags saying "fursection!"

>Not him but fuck off
Okay Namorfag 2.0, calm down. I don't even like Doom that much since he's a gyp.

Based on what I've seen in this thread, there's no point trying to sell doom because it's like trying to sell a Jeep Cherokee to someone who wants a Tesla.
You'll never sell them on it, because all they want is a gimmick and all you can pitch to them is something classic and consistent.

If Chris Chan decided to burn off his face completely because he accidentally cut himself while shaving, you people would not be kind to him.

Doom literally speaks in the third person. The guy is on the spectrum, like it or not.

He's the least gyp that has ever gyp'd though.

I mean he has a job and achieves goals and everything, and he's never tried to assault a 12-year old girl.

He speaks in 3rd person because he's using the royal "we". I said that he wasn't an autist, not a mentally stable person. He's a narcissist and a megalomaniac, with a warped sense of morals and an arrogance that is actually detrimental to his health. He isn't a model of person at any time, even if he had a personal code of honor, refraing from killing civilians, etc.

One, I don't think anyone would consider a Jeep Cherokee a classic, and two, full electric conversions for Jeep Cherokees have existed for five years now at a price point comparable to baseline Tesla models. The thing is that Doom is the gimmick, Stan Lee has even talked about how Doom's appeal was in his design and the fact that him being ruler of Latveria with diplomatic immunity was a gimmick to skirt CCA limitations.

>He isn't a model of person at any time, even if he had a personal code of honor, refraing from killing civilians, etc.
He kills Latveria civilians regularly to massage his own ego.

He's still a shitskin, Muslim-loving SJW though. According to Tumblr anyway. I always headcanonned him as a stolen kid and a xenophobic trash. He's more fun that way.

>twice a year Doom shows up to the Richards' house and dumps a load of garbage on their front door then demands they pay him to pick it up
>except instead of a broken toaster it's a giant deathbot

>According to Tumblr anyway.

Nigga who even listens to tumblr? Doom is Eastern European, Gyppo or not, he does not care for Muslims.

Because at the end of the day, after his plan is foiled and he's been defeated, he goes back to Latveria and is still king.

Lex is still in Superman's shadow, the Joker is in jail, but Doom is exactly where he wants to be.

kek

Seriously though, Doom is the perfect example illustrating that Americans know nothing about Gypsies.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney film is a good runner up.

Because of "diplomatic immunity", the shittiest gimmick ever created.

The guy can commit every crime imaginable and will never be punished because "muh diplomatic immunity". Do Marvel writers even know how diplomatic immunity works?

All gypsies are not the same.

Doom is actually worse than the majority of gypsies.

How many gypsies have killed people because they weren't clapping for them?

Still mad as fuck tho

Yeah how about context? As in, just the writer will do.

If you break diplomatic immunity then don't expect much diplomacy from other nations in the future. Great way to become geopolitically isolated and ruined in the next major conflict.

You mean, how many gypsybots?

>he does not care for Muslims
user, I...

You're right, there are terrible gypsies and even more terrible gypsies.

First, Latveria does literally nothing for the world.

Second, "diplomatic immunity" has obvious limits, limits that Doom always breaks in 99% of his appearances.

Shit writing. They can't play the 'Doom is Eastern European' and pretend he's okay with the religion of peace. Just make him a Western dude then.

T. Eurofag who lives among a lot of Poles and Bulgarians

>Clear image of Doom killing civilians for the pettiest of reasons
>"Well how about some context?"
Doomfags are hilarious. They really want to believe that Doom is this amazing guy that wouldn't harm a fly.

I am a South Euro user, I get the irony of it all. They just refer to "Doom's a gyppo so he can't be racist or xenophobic and he hates whites" bit every time you try and bring the real world into it.

No, there are no cases where you can break the diplomatic immunity of another nation's citizen. None whatsoever.

Besides, what do you think would happen to Latveria? Without Doom that shit would be annexed by Moldova in 10 minutes, full fucking genocide.

>autistic nerd who has no friends
>mommy issues
>isn't White but pretends to be

user, the president of Uruguay cannot go to your home, rape your mom, kill your father and claim "diplomatic immunity, fuckers!" while he forces your sister to suck his cock. It's not how that shit works.

>In one high-profile example, when the deputy ambassador to the United States from the Republic of Georgia killed a 16-year-old girl from Maryland while driving drunk in 1997, Georgia waived his immunity. Tried and convicted of manslaughter, the diplomat served three years in a North Carolina prison before returning to Georgia.

Doomfags, everyone.

greek here, ya, no way a balkan would bend over for islam so readily

>from the Republic of Georgia
>Georgia waived his immunity

Did you not read your own quote? You idiot.

How can you like Doom if he's a Gyp then? Doesn't the mere fact of his ancestry turn you off the character?

>Ambassador from the republic of georgia
>georgia waved his immunity

So, king of latveria is fucked when latveria waves his immunity
Which is never
stupid example

Doom hasn't ever displayed any of the traits that make the average gyppo be a problem in my country
In my headcanon, his dad is latverian and his mom is latverian with some gyppo roots, where her magic comes from. It makes more sense than him being full gypsy

You think Kim Jong-Un can just come to America and rape everyone he feels like? You think this is a realistic portrait of diplomatic immunity?

Fucking imbeciles. No wonder you think that Doomwankery is amazing writing.

>In my headcanon, his dad is latverian and his mom is latverian with some gyppo roots, where her magic comes from. It makes more sense than him being full gypsy
Το ίδιο.

I know, right? And he's the same guy shouting about raping his mom and sister. Really shows you that stupid people are also spiteful.

Reminder that there are literal muslim majority countries in the balkans.

Meaning I wanted the name of the writer. That's kinda VERY important. You can't take millar or bendis' characterization in account ever, for instance, everyone knows that.

I like that headcanon.
Gypsies also steal kids to sell so who knows who Doom's parents really are.

Not that guy, but he's the exception that proves the rule. Just makes his achievements more impressive, because he rose above his roots.

>Doomfag admires a petty despot that enjoys "diplomatic immunity" to commit crimes without ever being punished.
>"You are being stupid and spiteful".

>Not that guy, but he's the exception that proves the rule
user, he KILLS people that don't clap for him.

He is worse than your average gyp.

Reminder that before Islam they got to enjoy nice people like Elizabeth Báthory and Vlad the Impaler.

Diplomatic immunity only applies to actions that occur within the carrying out of diplomatic functions. While Doom enjoys immunity to prosecution by virtue of being a head of state, his actions would constitute an act of war.

After being proven wrong thrice regarding diplomatic immunity (which you clearly don't understand) and resorting to shouting about rape I think there's no more apt description. Ignoring you now.

Against who, the nation of Reed Richards?

>Literally things that "diplomatic immunity" means that a head of state can do whatever he wants in any country
Please, ignore me.

Doom is literally using the military forces of Latveria, Doombots, to attack American citizens, the FF, on American soil. That's not even getting into the times he's attacked the Avengers, which not only include agents of the US government, but also function as private military contractors for SHIELD and the US government.

>Elizabeth Báthory
OR whoever made up those accusations against her. Complicated case.