Hi Sup Forums, I don't usually come here, but I've just watched Over the Garden Wall and I can't stop thinking about it...

Hi Sup Forums, I don't usually come here, but I've just watched Over the Garden Wall and I can't stop thinking about it. It's just the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Can we talk about it? Did Sup Forums like it when it came out?

What else do you recommend with a similar quality?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eeVre94_Cx0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Theres a series on YouTube called no evil that has similar Halloween-y themes and music

I recall Sup Forums enjoying it quite a bit, but the chatter tends to happen around the onset of (northern hemisphere) autumn, to match up with the show. I enjoyed it, and own a physical DVD copy.

Did you want to fuck that bird, user?

Yes, yes, and Gravity Falls

Majority of Sup Forums likes/loves it. So we never talk about it.

Into the Unknown was the best song.
Potato and Molasses was the worst song.
Sarah is best waifu.
Still don't know what the fuck was up with those turtles.

N-no

I've started watching Gravity Falls, user! I'm catching up with cartoons as of lately. Gravity Falls and Gumball and the later seasons of Adventure Time which I've never saw. I'm pretty sure they are the most entry level stuff ever, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

>Majority of Sup Forums likes/loves it. So we never talk about it.
Ain't that just the way.

>Potato and Molasses was the worst song.
I can't say a have a favourite, but this song is stuck in my head ever since though.

Sadly the prime time to talk about it is October, that sweet spot right before Halloween. Which is a shame because the show is comfy as fuck but I get it.
But I'll talk about it
>Favorite character
>Favorite song
>Favorite episode
That'd be Wirt
And if we're including the entire soundtrack it'd be Shine On. If not, The Frog's Lullaby
And Into the Unknown
I'd fuck the bird user

>we never talk about it
except those dozens upon dozens of 500 post threads when it came out
we never talk about it

>What else do you recommend with a similar quality?
What sort of stories are you interested in? Part of the charm of Otgw is that it doesn't over stay it's welcome and because it doesn't need to hit a prescribed episode count all the episodes are solid and there feels like no filler. So do you want tight, mini-series? Or just a generally comfy show?

>mrw the train whistle gets "nearer" with each episode

I think the writing and the attention to detail in this show is what gets me. Soundtrack is right with the scenario, the story works on its own but it's also great analogy for real problems, characters are interesting and develop along the way, they don't resort to clichés, and so on.

It could be movies, miniseries or series, as long as they are as good as them.

My favourite character is Wirt because he is basically me, his personality just hit too close to home. I have a young brother who was just like Greg when we were kids. To watch this series was like entering into my own head.

Man I thought that was really clever when I noticed it the second time I watched it
I like Wirt just because I saw my younger self in him and still identify with a few of his characteristics and especially his growth, if it hadn't been Wirt as my favorite it would have been The Woodsman

>because he is basically me
Yeah, intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor
>I think the writing and the attention to detail in this show is what gets me.
Then you'll like a show like Gravity Falls and Gumball, but you're already watching so you'll find out about them anyways. Batman the animated series, Superman the animated series, and Justice league original/unlimited have great attention to detail, especially for comic book fans. A lot characters have nice arcs and they usually build on each other quite well, this is where the whole Quinn/Ivy dynamic came in, before it became overplayed. Hey Arnold actually has a lot of subtext but given that you're likely not a kid anymore you should be able to pick up on a lot of what's happening. Unironically Scooby doo mystery inc. there's actually a decent mystery and you can pick up on a lot of things early on. Futurama has attention to detail for sci-fi nerd, like in one episode where the writers had to prove a new math theorem to make sure their body swapping concept would work for the episode. If these aren't really your speed I can try suggesting something different

Not OP but suggest more please

Morel Orel is a show that has a lot of great foreshadowing and only gets better upon re-watching and finding all the interesting detail and clues you missed. There's also enough left over that it allows you to speculate on character dynamics not explicitly shown but hinted at enough that you can gain a greater understanding of the town as a whole. Venture bros. actually has a pretty deep lore and way more story than you'd expect from a comedy show (it's also a show you might enjoy much more if you liked old hanna barbera). Same with harvey birdman attorney at law, things are incredibly fast paced, with a very high density of jokes to the point that single frames will have hidden easter eggs and visual humor that makes it a treat to find a lot of them (this show also benefits from someone who was a fan of hanna barbera cartoons), the series is also known for it's many hidden gags that build up onto each other until they actually begin to interfere with themselves.
If you're okay with anime (these have great dubs so you can watch those two) a few shows that also have great attention to detail and pretty short stories are Full metal alchemist (has one of the most well thought out and explored power systems in any cartoon I've seen), Stein:gate (probably time travel done best in ANY medium), and Space Dandy (which does have a plot, it's just buried in absurdity). Cowboy bebop is really a standard recommendation on Sup Forums but I figure it's worth mentioning as well. Some movies that deal with heavier themes and have some nice subtly are the Brave little toaster (I know how this sounds but the movie is actually much darker than you'd think), Fantastic Mr. Fox (the high paced nature makes it similar to Harvey birdman, if you like one you'll like the other), and if you appreciated the deeper themes of spirited away but find it kind of played out then Porco Rosso is the superior film imo.

Cont.
All of these are actually fairly standard, most people here have seen at least a few of these, but I figure they have a wide enough appeal that they make for decent recommendations. There's more obscure stuff that I could recommend like Fantastic planet but you may not like it, it's actually very different from OtgW.

>I think the writing and the attention to detail in this show is what gets me.
>characters are interesting and develop along the way, they don't resort to clichés, and so on.
Are you high or something? OTGW has none of this, at least beyond a very superficial level.

I still need to get around to watching this, it looks awesome.

>develop along the way
Not him but Wirt, Beatrice, and the kid brother do have a good deal of development throughout the series, rather than interesting I'd say they were relatable enough to care about their actions and what happens to them. The beast and the woodsman were kind of interesting. The show also had nice attention to detail with things like the general setting and aesthetic (even though they went through differing time periods it all felt natural and well done), the trains whistle, the opening sequence foreshadowing many of the events yet to come, and apparently there's some cool easter eggs and references, though I can't remember any off the top of my head.
It's fun, pretty comfy to watch it around Autumn though, as someone already pointed out, the soundtrack it also good, you should also check it out.

>I think the writing and the attention to detail in this show is what gets me. Soundtrack is right with the scenario, the story works on its own but it's also great analogy for real problems, characters are interesting and develop along the way, they don't resort to clichés, and so on.
Have you watched Avatar The Last Airbender?

Or its superior magical girl counterpart, which shall remain unnamed here?

>there feels like no filler.
except the school episode

If that's filler, then almost the entire series is.

Which actually isn't really off the mark, but I don't like OTGW so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

>Have you watched Avatar The Last Airbender?
Not OP but who hasn't? I figured it's such a staple that everyone has seen it already. What magical girl counterpart?
>except the school episode
Eh, I felt it was necessary to loosen Wirt up a bit and help develop his relationship with Beatrice. I also kinda like the Potato and Molasses song

Wasn't bad

And I was in a similar situation where I started binge watching a ton of popular cartoons, though for me it was Gravity Falls -> The Legend of Korra (after watching ATLA as a kid) -> Steven Universe -> Over the Garden Wall -> Rick & Morty -> Star vs the Forces of Evil.
I liked them all to varying degrees and I would recommend them but depends on personal taste if you'd like them or not too.

>What magical girl counterpart?
Kora, I'm assuming.

>what magical girl counterpart
oh god please no not this thread
it's fucking WITCHfag, he's in this thread now

>What magical girl counterpart?
Looks like already answered that. (Though I'd still appreciate it if he stopped stalking my posts.)

I genuinely think it's better than Avatar. But regardless, it's definitely the cartoon that's most similar to it, as far as I'm aware anyways.

>Star vs the Forces of Evil
By no means a bad show (I actually like it a lot) but some of the filler can be especially bad, the teen drama also doesn't help.the overall quality fluctuates wildly. Ponyhead is also cancer. Also as a Jackiefag and Heckafag this last season was a bit unfortunate. SU has similar problems imo with many of the townie episodes. If you watched the show you might also want to check out robobuddies rant on how it can be dramatically improved.

>filler
Stop using this weeb term

It's a real gem. There seems to be a split for drawing parallels from the show and the world to a fairytale world and Dante's Inferno. I prefer the former but I can appreciate the latter.

It's several years old as this point, and we've had long long discussions regarding it. But I'm always happy to speak about it again.

>best waifu
>can't spell her name
Like pottery, Sup Forums. Like pottery.
(BTW you got the "worst song" title wrong too...)

It's one of those things where it basically goes,
>"I liked it"
>"Yup, me too"
>The End
It's less than two hours total, isn't ongoing, and isn't really controversial, so conversations have a hard time staying alive. But the general consensus is that it's great.

Anyway, what did you think about the Unknown? Is it Dante's purgatory or just a dream?

I assumed he was talking about the one with the horses at first.

The Unknown is more like Faerie, since it's clear that the people there have their own independent existence and aren't just dead souls

OH POTATOES
AND MOLASSES

>just a dream
I thought the ending where Gregory shakes Jason's stomach and it starts glowing indicates that everything really did happen. I do like the whole Dante's inferno analogy though

It's not that people draw parallels to Dante's Inferno. It's that there are actual elements of the Divine Comedy, like Beatrice, Pottsfield a.k.a. "potter's field," the Wood of the Suicides where lost souls are turned into trees, the Unknown's old name of "the Land of the In-Between" i.e. Purgatory, giving two coins to cross the river, Quincy Endicott's tombstone in the present day, and the fact that the main antagonist is based on the folkloric Devil. Not to mention the overall abundant themes of death

See my earlier point about Quincy Endicott.

I think that was the only episode I didn't like.

Greg overall was an obnoxious dipshit throughout the entire series until he sacrificed himself to save his brother

>mfw I never particularly hated Greg and realized he was just a typical innocent kid
>mfw That 180 all those threads that constantly shit talked him had when he almost fucking dies
The lesson here is that don't be surprised when children act like a god damn child.

I thought he was super cute, one of the more endearing and realistic kid characters I can think of.

But... she belongs to Wirt

>Anyway, what did you think about the Unknown? Is it Dante's purgatory or just a dream?

OTGW's fandom is really smart when it comes to analyze but you guys really have problems with this purgatory/Inferno thing. The Unknown is not based in Dante's purgatory but the Inferno. The floors of the inferno have a specific order and OTGW follow that order, Purgatory has its own floors but they aren't the same floors, The Beast is based in Lucifer lord of the underworld who is frozen in the last floor of the hell and can rule his kingdom using his shadow (that's why The Beast looks like a shadow). Dante and Virgil defeat him to leave the inferno just like Wirt and Greg did.

But yeah that place exist according to McHale.

It's one of those things where it basically goes,
>"I liked it"
>"Yup, me too"
>The End
>It's less than two hours total, isn't ongoing, and isn't really controversial, so conversations have a hard time staying alive. But the general consensus is that it's great.

Well it doesn't have to be like that. I have noticed that CN's authors tend to repeat ideas and recycle them so I watched Flapjack and I discover an episode called Cammie Island and another one that I will mention later, this episode share certains similarities with OTGW when it comes to Wirt and Beatrice.

Flapjack is stuck in an island and he meets this horrible monster who results to be a "girl" and they become really close (if you know what I mean) but then Flapjack needs to leave the island to return with his mother, the monster doesn't want that he leaves but she helps him to abandon the island because they are friends, at the end of the episode Flapjack kiss the monster cheek (now you know what happened when the screen goes black in OTGW's last episode), the monster ask him if they would meet again and Flapjack answer "Of course that we will do".

What do you think guys? is this episode somekind of Prototype of OTGW or it repeat the same idea?

>Sara is best waifu

My favorite thing about this show are the three main characters, they are very peculiar and at first they might seem a little strange but if you analyze them correctly you will discover that they are more normal than the usual human characters in the cartoon.

They aren't cliche and their personalities, talents, flaws, etc, are things that we could see in a normal person in real life. For example Wirt not being the intrepit hero who is always happy but a guy who is always scared of the monsters but is willing to risk himself for the people that he loves is very human and a better definition of a brave man; and Beatrice not being the strong indepedent woman but a moody girl who is very weak and coward despiste her bad temper is very normal too and these characteristics make them more balanced that the rest of the cartoon characters.

Make balanced characters is kinda harder than exaggerated characters and make them is a merit.

There is only a best waifu in OTGW. Beatrice is part of the author's soul just like the other characters but Sara is just another Connie possibly put in the show for the network, even McHale prefers Beatrice.

Avatar was a good show but It's completely lineal and without any surprise. I don't dislike it but I don't like it so much I consider it a normal/regular show... Toph and Zuko are the best characters and I really like them.

>Avatar was a good show but It's completely lineal and without any surprise.
You haven't rewatched Book 2 in a while, have you?

>What do you think guys? is this episode somekind of Prototype of OTGW or it repeat the same idea?
It is possible, Flapjack was essentially the stomping ground for a lot of animators
Looking back I remember that in Dante's inferno the deepest pit of hell had Judas as it was for traitors (or something to that effect) it might make thematic sense then to have the somewhat tired troupe of "friends lies and doesn't get the chance to explain' cliche, though in this case Wirt figured things out on his own pretty quickly and likely ran away due to fear more so than anything else.

>The Unknown is not based in Dante's purgatory but the Inferno. The floors of the inferno have a specific order and OTGW follow that order
elaborate

I would like to say that the demo for potatoes and molasses was better because the singer wasn’t a child who has little range

Sup Forums sings Potatoes & Molasses when?

>not liking Potatus Et Molassus

This Summer
Make a Sup Forums sings thread and bring it, TTGs night ride song, literally any SU song, and you’ll get tons of replies

The last floor in the hell is "The Traitor" in this floor Dante asks for directions to a tortured soul who after of give him the information says: "But... will you trust in the word of a traitor". Beatrice is taking that role in the episode and Wirt chose trust in her.

Maybe this really was one big Dante's Inferno retelling, I had figured it had some parallels, but it really does line up for a lot of plot points. Does the Gregory dream sequence fit into this idea?

The inferno is divided in nine floors, the first one is Limbo (pottsville), Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Wrath/Sloth, Witchcraft, Violence, Fraud (this one is represented by The Real World in OTGW and it seems like McHale has a dark perspective of the normal guys in this story, they probably aren't that good as they seem) and Traitor, a frozen place where reside the lord of the Inferno, Lucifer.

OTGW follows the order of these floors after the first episode being the first episode the introduction of Dante's story where he is attacked by a wolf and other two animals.

Purgatory has its our floors but they aren't in the same order that the inferno and they are only seven of them. The floors of the purgatory are (in order): Pride, Envy, Wrath, Sloth, Greed, Gluttony and Lust (The seven capital sins)

Another detail that confuse this fandom... a lot, is that you guys don't understand that Greg is playing the role of Virgil as his name is an translation of "Virgil". Virgil and Dante leave the inferno together but they are separated in the last floor of the Purgatory where Dante is finally reunited with Beatrice but Virgil can't go with them to the Heaven.

Purgatory could easily be The Real World in OTGW's universe if we need use the simbolism.

I really really wanted to like it, but it was too short and when it tried to be funny it rarely worked.

In fact a big part of Dante's story is used like plot points... many of them. That's why Wirt is called "The young lover" because Dante was younger when he decided be a poet and his love for Beatrice was his main reason to make it. Sara is probably inspired by a girl to the which Dante write poems to "Deny himself his feelings for Beatrice" (if she wasn't included by the network...)

And just like any other work based in the divine comedy, Wirt was separated of Beatrice just like Dante and Beatrice are separated in the original story, but they will be eventually reunited again just like Dante and Beatrice and the many other versions of them.

>Does the Gregory dream sequence fit into this idea?

I don't know to be honest... I would need investigate more to make a precise answer, but it's more likely that it wasn't inspired in it. They chose a weird floor to make that "tribute to the old animation" because they are in "Violence" a floor where goes the people who hurt themselves or the people that they love and there is nothing like a city or a fairy in that floor.

Maybe I have a weird taste... but I laughed really hard with this cartoon.

>train whistle
What?

>mfw reading that article that compared it to Dante’s Inferno

Most kino cartoon in years

It's probably the best cartoon of its generation.

I would absolutely get in on this, that sounds fun.

Just noticed something, I find it ironic that the person who Wirt idolizes and puts on a pedestal is Sara while the person(or bird) who he spends most of his time arguing and getting to know is the one named Beatrice

Which one are you reading?

When was the last time you watched it?

OP here, thanks for the recs, guys.

I didn't know about the parallel with Dante's work, I'm definitely interested. But I also think that when we discover a parallel that fits nicely into a work, that doesn't setlle its meaning. The Unknown is one of a kind, even if it is similar to other adventures.

I like the fact that although it was "just a dream", we get to see the montage at the end with the characters of the Unknown. We tend to think there is a duality between what happends and what does not happen, but even if it was just something in Wirt's head, it truly happened. Even our fantasies have real arcs. The whole story is filled with things which seem dangerous when in fact there was no real issue or the issue was something else entirely. It's very specific to what goes on in Wirt's head IRL. One could say Sara and Jason Funderberker are more of fantastical characters to Wirt than talking pumpkins, because of how much he invents about them.

The revelation of who was Jason Funderberker was the greatest twist in the series, I think. It got me thinking for a second "that isn't right.. this guy? did I get something wrong?" but no, it is Wirt that got something wrong from the beggining.

And Greg treats the fantastical elements as he treats real life events, there is no difference, his solutions are extremely simple, which frustrates Wirt who is all about overthinking. But in the end Greg must "be a leader", he reveals to Wirt that he is worried that his stolen stone must be the cause of all that happened, "but that's not important at all!" says Wirt, realizing he is not the only one who overthinks the importance of certain things and transpose them into reasoning of why things go wrong. It's a fake importance we give to what we are doing that hides real important acts. The real important act of Greg is returning the stone in the final shot of the series, which is so much about being responsible for what you do. Rock fact.

cont

The Woodsman's tale reminds of a situation I heard Carl Jung tell about a dream he had. In it, he carries a lantern and is being chased by a big shadow monster. He runs and runs, but the monster is at his tail. Until he realizes that the monster was his cast shadow from the light of the lantern. He uses it to show that our shadow is our projection from the very light we bring with us. The hard moment for the Woodsman was to admit to himself that his daughter was already gone and that keeping that light up was just keeping the Beast alive. Very often we feed bad things assuming that we are preserving something, which was in fact, already gone. Just like we must learn new strategies to life as we grow and let go of things which aren't even there anymore. His daughter returns to him, as if released from the Beast, but only after he has really given up his task of keeping the light up, without expecting her to come back. She is not something to be preserved, she is alive and therefore always changing.

In a sense, each character gives in to the Unknown and it's not what they expect it to be(it's unknown!), which sometimes is scary, but can be very good news. This makes this such a good coming of age of story, imo.

In the very beggining, the Woodsman tells Wirt and Greg that they are "more lost than they think they are".

I think this is key. Every character was thinking that all was lost, when in fact they were even "more lost than that". That is, they were thinking they knew what the issue was, but the only way to solve the issue is to realize you don't know what it is in beforehand. It's good news that they are more lost than they think.

first of all, fuck you second of all furry = shit

Yeah. Sup Forums just automatically hates little kid characters because they suffer from a maturity complex.

>greg
>realistic kid character
Every time something scary and supernatural occurred he acted autistic instead of shitting his pants and crying

I dunno, I often see people on Sup Forums praising little kid characters when they're written how a kid would actually behave.

Man, I loved this tune after I listened to the soundtrack. I really wish it was a bit longer.
youtube.com/watch?v=eeVre94_Cx0

Call me a pussy and a numale, but there is something about this short series that makes me feel sad yet happy, to the point where the opening song is enough to put a dumb smile on my face as tears begin to fall.
I think I feel like that becouse it reminds of my childhood. There is this sense of a magical discovery and a bleak reality seen through rose-tinted glasses, coupled with the warm yet cold colours of autumm that sends me back to my first days in school.
Then all of sudden, your little magical journey ends and you are too old to enjoy anything. You've wished to be an adult all your life, but when you get there, you realize there isn't anything magical or special about being a grown-up.

Yeah, that happens. I've tried to be a functional manchild and so far I think I'm not doing too badly. I mean, I still live with my parents and haven't gotten a job, but my mindset is pretty appropriate and I can still connect with children relatively well.

Who honestly can say they didn't want to fuck the bird user

It has an eerie nostalgiac atmosphere to it. The dark autumn setting and all the supernatural lend to it well. Enchantingly sad and dark.

>nothing magical or special about being a grown up

lol, Virgin alert

This show made me want to live in the woods or at least near them.