Gravity Falls

What was Sup Forums like while it was airing? Did everyone like it?

After marathoning it my only regret is I didn't watch it with you guys like I did with the new season of Jack.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WmclufGQcjg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It was pretty popular for the first season. By the time Season 2 rolled around everyone was sick of the incest shipping.

Also the ending of Season 2 was incredibly underwhelming, Mabel pissed everyone off, and Alex Hirsch has been labeled a hack ever since.

What the fuck was that wheel reveal? Some of the most disappointing shit ever.

More disappointing than the heroic sacrifice lasting one minute?

It was loved during season 1 and season 2a.
Then everything changed when the 2b nation attacked.

Felt like the hiatuses became longer than the airing time too.

Why did the wheel make people mad?

Given that it was present in every episode (mostly the opening), people were mad that it ended up being pretty much inconsequential

Season 2A was the best part of the show. And even then it had some serious problems. Namely, retcons and inconsistencies with what was established in Season 1.

They were. I remember waiting 2 goddamn months for the finale, the hiatuses were worse than Steven Universe.

But it would have saved the day.

this shit's boring.
watching when it was airing wouldn't have influenced my opinion.

This.

Season 2A was fantastic, humour, plot development. Plus it only had one bad episode, the Love God.

Season 2B was underwhelming, with only one good episode with "A Tale of Two Stans", it also had Roadside Attraction which makes it the worst by default.

It was just sort of thrown in there at the last minute, and many of the symbol "matchups" were just poorly explained if not outright banal ("Wendy is the icebag because she's cool! Pacifica is the llama because Mabel gave her a shirt 5 minutes ago!"). In fact, about the llama thing, there was probably going to be some build up for it judging by the llama painting in the Northwest mansion but like so many other plot points it was never touched upon.

The rest of the finale is just the manlet inserting shit into the finale that looked or sounded "cool" like the giant mecha fight or the Mad Max car chase ripoff. They could've indeed been cool scenes if they weren't so sterile and taking place in battlefield with less detail to it than a PSX Twisted Metal game. The same thing applies to the wheel: a "cool" scene that didn't really have any payoff and was meant to be a convenient way to get rid of the non-Pines cast members for the final showdown with Bill.

I like Pacifica's massive breasts.

What's boring about it?

It was used to foreshadow some big event that involved characters in the show where they would work together to stop Bill.
It was in the final episode but it was really half assed and rushed.

>my only regret is I didn't watch it with you guys like I did with the new season of Jack

You didn't miss much, watching Gravity Falls with Sup Forums was an absolute bitch, there was some disney site which meant people were getting hold of each episode a week early at pisspoor quality so you had to endure always being an episode behind the threads if you dared to have to patience to wait for decent quality rips to release.

Then the erratic scheduling kicked in killing any momentum the show could have had.

For me, seasons 1 and 2a were great. Season 2b was mediocre; I didn't hate it nor did I love it.

>What was Sup Forums like while it was airing?
I want to make fun of newfags, but it's just getting depressing. I can't believe there are people this new on this board.

There was the painting and the sweater, but I thought the llama was meant to be a jab at Pacifica, since llamas are ornery assholes, and so is she.

Honestly, the plot points were as rushed as the kind of shit you pull DMing a D&D campaign. You throw shit around, and then your players get really hyped. You think you have a plan for the story, but then things change, and suddenly you don't know how to tie all these loose ends together.

For a cartoon, it's less forgivable, since Alex Hirsch said he wanted this to have a definite end. Even if you didn't know for certain the show was going to keep running, you had a lot of time to map out the story better.

Still, I really liked Gravity Falls, it was one of my favorite shows to watched when I was depressed. I even liked all of season 2. Just a good show overall, I think people just got let down by the finale not being as epic and closure-giving as it should have been.

"Not What He Seems" was probably the biggest Sup Forums happening since the finale of Avatar.

>people were getting hold of each episode a week early at pisspoor quality so you had to endure always being an episode behind the threads if you dared to have to patience to wait for decent quality rips to release.

So basically the last two years of watching GoT with Sup Forums.

>I can't believe there are people this new on this board.

Well, it is almost half a decade ago.

There were lots of really hype threads, lorefags, incest shippers, waifufags, "Giffany did nothing wrong/Pacifica's massive tits" and people getting too wound up over the show and analyzing it probably. I'd say it was pretty big. The "turn" on it was partly about hiatuses, but there was also a Sup Forums user who was dating the showrunner, and then they broke up and some people got pissed at him. I mean there was also people thinking 2B was rushed, a letdown, ending the show one season early but the personal drama was a real thing and it's hard to say how much.

Just in case you don't know, the release schedule was fucked, and it affected /gfg/. It was sometimes months between new episodes.

Season 1: Lots of speculation, conspiracy theories (including the twin one that ended up being right), and a guy named Elliot
During hiatus: Internet cabin fever, shitposting, fan art
Week-long lead-up to a new episode: Back to speculation
First half of season 2:More lore, speculation, and Not What He Seems was the hype-est shit
Second half of season 2: /gfg/ collectively falls into depression and becomes alcoholics, see "During hiatus"

To be fair they just might not have been in /gfg/

>being an episode behind the threads if you dared to have to patience to wait for decent quality rips to release.
Is that really such a big deal? Just watch a low quality episode, and replace it when a better quality comes out.

Most of the icons were at least foreshadowed in the series though. Pacifica had llama earrings at one point, and Wendy was shown around ice once or twice. Only one that wasn't foreshadowed was the glasses.

The most unlikely fetish began appearing

/gfg/ was awesome

I think the so-called "Cipher Wheel" went back and forth. They said at first it was just supposed to be a cool-looking design thing, but with things like the llama painting and ice bag with Wendy in the first time travel episode, maybe they were laying groundwork to make it a thing. Then it didn't quite pan out either because they really did cut the show a little short or some other reason, and there was a half measure bit instead. As some people pointed out some character on the wheel like Robbie got kind of dropped, so then having them play some big significant part in the series was harder to do. So they didn't matter much in terms of the plot in the end.

>the finale of Avatar
Which, incidentally, is objectively worse than the GF finale, but doesn't get nearly as much hate.

I miss the fan art and the draw rooms. The booru has had maybe only a few hundred new entries in the years since the show ended.

there was a change in tone after the one where dipper hits on girls. i remember weeks afterward some guy was still posting weird shitty pictures of hirsch with red scribbles on it or xs over his eyes.

For the five characters in OP's pic, are there any characters in shows that are currently running that are very similar to each of them?

Why do you ask?

Just curious

/gfg/ and /bhg/ were the most fun I've ever had on this site. I've been trying to collect as many archived threads as possible, so I could maybe make a video essay about it. Does anyone have a bunch of the archived threads compiled?

>I've been trying to collect as many archived threads as possible.
Why?

>Does anyone have a bunch of the archived threads compiled?
Whatever is on desu. I haven't heard of anyone trying to save them beyond that.

>Why?
More nostalgia than anything.

Imagine Season 5 Samurai Jack except nobody moved on after the disappointing ending.

Star Butterfly is kinda like Mabel
Jackie was like Wendy

>Sup Forums user dating Hirsch

what

Isn't Marco like Dipper as well?

More cancerous than anyone would care to admit. Like, not SU or MLP level, but pretty cancerous. Rabid shipping, autistic theories, half the board collectively losing its mental faculties whenever something interesting happened.
Good show though. Probably more enjoyable alone.

>while it was airing?
There were two and a half years where we didn't know who wrote the journals.
The speculation and theories were the best part.
If only you knew how bad things really were.
youtube.com/watch?v=WmclufGQcjg

>The Love God.
I still think that episode is too funny to be truly bad.

I don't think 2B was as bad as some say. Though Roadside Attraction was incredibly out of place (especially considering Ford is absent, and not even mentioned). I always felt that episode would've felt more at home in 2A

/bhg/?