What do you guys think of Vattu? Just got caught up on the series here

What do you guys think of Vattu? Just got caught up on the series here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=45H3pY0bxuo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I also very recently got caught up with it, I like it a lot. It's got some great characters and worldbuilding. One of the best webcomics out there.

It was reviewed on a podcast that also reviewed Stand Still Stay Silent, and I got interested. But then I checked out the author, and NOPEd out.

Big warrior dude best warrior dude

whats up with the author?

I interviewed Dahm a ways back. He's a cool dude.
youtube.com/watch?v=45H3pY0bxuo

>What do you guys think of Vattu?
Like all good comics, it's illegal to post about it on Sup Forums.

He seemed okay, but too feminist and SOCIAL CONSTRUCT for me.

Good worlbuilding, interesting aestethics, relatable characters.
In general good and I follow it.

Whatever about the author happens to be, that seems totally absent from the comic. It's just a really nice story of interspecies politics and neat sword fights. Glad I don't care enough about most webcomics beyond the story it has to give much a shit about the authors.

It really doesn't show on the webcomic, even though half his cast is female.

Kill yourself. Rope, bleach, gun, don't care how, just do it.

Perhaps you're right.

>making excuses for tolerating SJWs and shilling their work

Anons' beef was with me, and I ended up agreeing. Don't.

A good story's a good story.

>97848371
Grow up and learn to separate the person from the art.

If you dropped every creator you disagreed with politically, there probably wouldn't be a lot you could enjoy.

I'm curious as to why Vattu is so much longer.
Like is it simply cause the creator has refined his work the more he's made, or does he prefer writing for this smaller scale (riceboy was shortest length but biggest story and Vattu is much smaller scale).

Either way I've enjoyed all of his work on his riceboy site.
Do they have physical releases? I should look into that.

Great atmosphere. Terrible pacing, both in length and individual updates.

Compared to my favorite comic ErfWorld, where the author recently blogged about his process where he admitted to what I had already suspected: that he sets up a traditional narrative arc in each page, so that for me there's a sense of satisfaction from each update.

Vattu's updates are so tiny that I just CAN NOT tolerate to read single pages separately any more. The atomization is so great that I have no idea what's going on. Though difficult to tell where a scene transition will be without reading, I basically do that now. I go back every month or whatever I think "I haven't read Vattu in a while" and browse to see if a scene ended. Then I go back and look at the whole scene.

I really wish he would include character pages, because I'm really starting to forget who the fuck is in this story.

He sells physical copies, yes. I don't know the release schedule, but I see book 1 & 2 are already available and he's on book 3 online.

Replying to my own post to add...

I mean, the pacing isn't terrible as far as variation though. Other stories might vary in how much is going on, making some parts noticably drag. Vattu is pretty regular, it's just not a good pace, both per update, and update in the context of the larger story.

I'm not sure if having a traditional arc per page would really be compatible with his story style though. It's possible it could be introduced SUBTLY without ruining the atmosphere. I think it's really just meant to be consumed in large quantities, and I suspect the update schedule is just due to the realities of retaining audiences, despite the incompatibility with the desirable reading style for the narrative style.

I also wanted to add that I feel a little cheated in the themes presented in the story, as if they won't all pay off. There's really interesting ideas to consider but there's barely any time taken away from the slow atmosphere to dwell on them. ... it's just all flowing along with the river. {Y-yeah. It's intentional on the author's part. Just like Lost. I dunno, whatever.}

>relatable characters
Heh. I feel like the Vattu story is just full of assholes, including the main character. I don't know if it's realistically possible for all of them to have taken more diplomatic actions, but it does feel like a lot of them just made choices to fuck shit up.

The story is excellent, and since I thoroughly enjoyed Riceboy and Order of Tales it's no surprise. You can clearly see the author's abilities growing over time too, which is cool.

Don’t know much about the author but they wrote Rice Boy and Order of Tales so they can be what the fuck ever long as their not a Nazi or eat children or some shit.