How did Sup Forums like Dr. Strange? If nothing else, it's the most visually spectacular MCU film to date

How did Sup Forums like Dr. Strange? If nothing else, it's the most visually spectacular MCU film to date.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ewFg5wUvkGI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I liked it.I like his character and cucumberman is a fine actor

Also, that dormammu loop thread we had recently, lmao

And those visuals were reduced immensely by the Marvel Standard(TM) colour correction and whatever else they do to make these films all look exactly the same. Just like the emotional punch of the movie was cheapened by Marvel Brand(C) jokes from the Rocket Raccoon Cape. Then there's the flat, literal meme actor lead and the obvious China pandering that just makes the whole first half of the film super weird for me.

Aside from those problems, I really liked the film. It's full of really interesting character moments for Strange, gorgeous shots and it has an unconventional finale, something which I always find refreshing in formulaic superhero films.

It's one of the better origin story films.

Apart from Iron Man 1, origins are typically bad. There's a lot of world building to do and not a ton of time to do it in. Strange was above average in that regard.

I hate every single magical object in this film. Each one for its own reason, and each reason more autistic than the last.

>The Cloak of Levitation is literally just a living standard MCU joke, and not even a good one.

>The Sling Ring is a ridiculously named object that serves no purpose except to be lost one time and never mentioned again, and also so we can hear utter disgust in the voice of Shakespeare-level actors when they say the words "Sling Ring".

>Eye of Agamotto is nerfed to fuck. Marvel has shrunk their world significantly by tying everything into the Infinity Stones.

>The Staff of the Living Tribunal: I'm sorry, fucking what? The what of whom? In the hands of a mortal fucking wizard?

>Staff of the Living Tribunal
If it's ever mentioned again, it'll be in the same way as Hela discards Odin's trophy vault.

It's just fan service.

That's kind of my point. Everything that doesn't serve the further Infinity War plot is disregarded. You'd think Marvel would have gotten smarter about their worldbuilding by now.

That is gonna change in a hurry.

Same tired D*sney formula as the rest, and just as typically ashamed of its "dumb gay nerd" origins.

I watched the movie while I was living in Shanghai and I thought it wasn't China pandering at all because it felt Americanised as FUCK. It was more of an insult to Chinese and Tibetan culture more than anything else
The movie have been great if the story wasn't simplified and the scenes played out more outside instead of some stupid closed sets. I swear, the movie would have had a lot more "magic" to it if there had been some sense of exploration or sightseeing in the movie. fuck Marvel for saving money on the wrong parts of their movies

There's a reason the movie takes place in Nepal as opposed to Tibet.

Come on, Strange 3 : Triumph and Torment
Come on, we all want it

I like it, but I think its biggest weakness is pacing. We have next to know idea how long he was training. Ironically, the passage of time was really weird in this movie

Does a "joke-less" edit of the movie exist?

It was pretty good. Every other Marvel orgin story movie has ended with the hero being established and having most of thier skills so it'll be interesting to see where Marvel goes with a character who still has a lot to learn.

I wanted this to be serious for once but then we got

youtube.com/watch?v=ewFg5wUvkGI

>Also, that dormammu loop thread we had recently, lmao
Link?

to this day the third eye scene still gives me anxiety attacks, i dunno why. something about tilda swinton talking to me about whats real plus the cyriak imagery plust the hyperstimulus of the lights and sounds freaks me out

He can magically refill ale steins, he's dangerous enough. Drinking and driving is no joke user.

I feel that it's a film that was mostly mediocre that would have done better with another half hour of training and learning the ways of magic. The moment Kacelious attacks makes the film feel rush.

The only MCU movie with some kind of artistic merit. Not the best, tho.
The movie is greatly held back by standard MCU tropes. I'm all in for shared universes, but not at this cost.

Doctor Strange has a less believable training arc than Rey.

Actually not. He is an established genius and spend most of the time studying while his body rests, and training when awake. As the movie shows, magic is not hard to learn. The hardship of it is in having the good sense of NOT using it because consequences.

Also, his rookieness is all over the place, even after defeating Dormammu. He is just way too much lucky plus very talented (witch is kinda the american thing). Training montages are for asian heroes, as we discussed in Sup Forums days ago.

Can't be more than a few months. You can see awards he got at the beginning of the movie saying 2016, and we know the timeline in the MCU moves alongside the real world one, unlike in comics.

You complain about one of the few fun exchanges in the movie instead of the forced single name crap with Wong?

I liked the visuals, but not much else. The character was pretty flat. His entire conflict was just getting out of his own way so he could be better than everyone else. That's not very compelling. Also contained some of Marvel's most self-conscious humor.

Cape was cool, though.

It was magic Iron Man. It doesn´t mean it was bad, but it was forgettable. Like on par with Thor 2.

Dormammu, I've come to bargain.

>Also, his rookieness is all over the place, even after defeating Dormammu. He is just way too much lucky plus very talented
This. He barely knew how to make constructs and astral projection by the time he fought the zealots, and pretty much cheesed his way to victory. The only real powerful ability he had was knowing how to use the Eye of Agamoto to control time.

The post credits scene has him magically creating a mug and filling it with beer, so in IW he should be actually proficient and with a more complete set of spells.

Dor/co/mmu I've come to bargain.

>tfw you realize Strange confronted the Ancient One in a Dive into the Heart

Look at what you've done, Dor/co/mmu. Your desire for nostalgia has corrupted everything.

Ant-Man had better visuals

You know the Chinese government doesn’t particularly care for Tibet, right? When people say that it caters to China they mean it caters to he Chinese government, if they approve of the film it’ll do fine in China, because the Chinese are fucking retarded.

Glad I'm not the only one that saw this when she started shifting the platform.

Bitch didn't even pick the wand, I didn't know a fan was a choice.

I like that his genius move at the end of the move was basically him deliberately fucking up. Looping time forever was meant to be what happens if you use the stone incorrectly and he invokes it on purpose.

Also as I recall he was fairly useless in the preceding fights.

So who else wants to see Shuma Goratj?

That's what I found probably most interesting. I don't think I've ever seen an origin story where the MC didn't learn shit in terms of his abilities. I rewatched the movie recently because the first viewing was spent just kind of awe'd at the effects, and what I realized the second go around is that Strange doesn't win a single fight.

Not one.

He gets his ass kicked in training constantly, loses against the goons until he gimmicks them, then loses against Kaicilius until the flying carpet gimmicks him, then loses against the spirit-goon until the nurse gimmicks him, then loses against Kaicilius again and loses his mentor, then loses in Hong Kong, then barely out gimmicks the big bad.

He so bad at magic by the end of his origin movie that the memes he pulls of in Ragnarok suggest serious fucking growth in the year he had off. I thought that was cool.

I think the greatest thing about Doctor Strange is that they managed to build a good movie with the theme of avoiding death/preventing the inevitable, witch is kinda the main point of medicine. Even the time stone and the whole infinity stones subplot didn't feel forced as it felt in other movies.

Like said, with his rookieness all over the place, it would feel extremely forced if he did win against Dormammu without the enourmous advantage of an Infinity Stone.

I didn't like it and felt like I wasted my money. I can see why other people would like it, but I really disliked Dr. Strange as a character. He acts way too similar to Tony Stark, and he just seemed like just another smug bastard but with a sentient magic cape this time.

everyone is so fucking jaded wow, the movie was good the jokes funny and the visuals were spectacular. You guys are so contrarian it's predictable.

I wish he had done comic style magic instead of just making weapons

Its absolutely awful.

At least the weapons looked like they were made of magic. That puts it above the animated Doctor Strange film.

>tying everything into the Infinity Stones.
Honestly the worst part of the universe. Everything is tied into that shit.

Only if they bring in guillermo del toro and let him go full mountains of madness.

shame the soundtrack sucked