John K

So I've been reading through this guy's blog and his curriculum book (extra credit for an interim class)

Is it just me or is his view for cartoons sorta...boring? Like, I REALLY get the vibe he wants all cartoons to be like Ren and Stimpy, and while R&S is good, it's not...amazing?

Like, I'd really hate it if every animated project was post-modern vulgar slapstick. I can take it in small doses, sure, but it really seems like that's what he wants for the entire industry.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U39SOkkQoA4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How did yo to come to that conclusion?
I.read through his blog a long time ago and he has a genuine respect and appreciation for all kinds of animation. He even praises shows like Evangelion and FLCL for their animation. I don't think he expects every thing to be some kind of end proxy.

>He even praises shows like Evangelion and FLCL for their animation.

He seems to want some weird mix of Tex Avery style with 60's Hanna Barbera characterization. And everything that he does not personally care for should not be allowed to exist.

It's his whole "Agree with me or FUCK YOU!" attitude that is really grating.

On the subject of john K, I would like to bring this Rumor up.

Maybe not vulgar, but really over the top rubber hose wacky.

>The behind the scenes footage of Adult Party Cartoon
>"This is my new protoge, she's fresh out of animation school, here's an hour of her drawing naked pinups while I hover over her shoulders"
I'd bet any amount of money it's true.

>Living the dream.

Well... I can see where his obsession with Katie came from.

bump

The thing is that Fooly Cooly did everything john said couldn't be done. There were semi detailed humans with tons of appeal doing complicated actions with tons of life and movement. One second Haruko is stiff and then she becomes completely rubbery. And that only comes from the animation mastery at Gainax

bump

I don't think there's too much to discuss today. It's pretty obvious that John while having some good criticisms of animation, has a heavy bias and likes to take a shit on everything that doesn't respect his views.

Has this hack done anything since ren and stimpy? I dont know why anyone talks about this bullshit.

It is because he considers golden age cartoons to be the alpha and omega, not to mention his fixation with the kitsch-ness of the 70s which would influence his childhood. From an animator's stance it makes sense, these are cartoons at their "peak" because you can put or animate anything for the sake of either comedy or outrage/shock It's like saying your mom's cake recipe is the best even though other chefs can make different other cakes.

Honestly I'm surprised nothing like this has come out yet

God, I wish that was me

>And that only comes from the animation mastery at Gainax
Kek. Good one.

If this isn't animation mastery than show me what is, I implore you
youtube.com/watch?v=U39SOkkQoA4

He occasionally recognizes the quality on action shows and anime. But he does have a strict view on how to do character design, animation, color, etc.
I wonder what he would think of, like, experimental Russian animation or something like that.

man I wouldn't even mind, if I got a career in animation afterwards, John definitely isn't the worst looking animator around

His blog reads like this
>R&S was the best thing ever
>We were so much better than everyone else
>Everyone sucks! I AM SO GREAT! FUCK EVERYONE!

It's sad and I wish I could unread it.

He's all about good construction and artistic techniques. He says at one point, if you know how to draw classically you can draw any style you want, like anime, though he isn't sure why you'd want to. John K is correct here. Too much of modern cartooning is people breaking rules they were never taught to follow. Too much emphasis is placed on story, when art is the main focus. Think of it this way. How would you honestly grade the art style of a show like Adventure Time? Its not good. Creative yes, but overall its a mess

The way I see it, read the stuff that he recommends (Preston Blair book, Milt Gross comics, early B.C. comics, etc) and pay attention to what he likes about them, while taking his opinions on what he hates with a grain of salt. Then read the other stuff he doesn't recommend like Illusion of Life and Animator's Survivor Kit.

If you get too caught up in what he hates then you don't learn anything.

The thing is, nowadays even the stories are dragging as well, so even if you had a beautiful art style it wouldn't have much substance

Faggot