let's read a comic

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nq_SpRBXRmE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1) I haven't read anything yet and can't make it to my LCS until Saturday

2) what's good today???

So new book from Black Bolt writer
Looks interesting but also dead by #6

And there were a lot of good books today! Made me content.

Read a comic?

OR DIE A FOOL

Deathstroke
Snagglepuss
Rogue and Gambit
Batman and the Signal

Surprised by Signal being pretty good. Expecting an ongoing or new mini if the book and trade does well.

I've wanted Exiles back for fucking ages man.

I think an Exiles book could be a surprise/sleeper hit, especially if it has the verve that the X-line has been sadly lacking

Even Bendis' O5 take two could work in the Exiles.

Awww yeah, Question time!

Checked out 2000AD, Snagglepuss, Dastardly and Muttley (which ends next month), Grand Design, TMNT Universe (which had a really smart story) and on a whim I'm checking out John Carpenter's Vortex and it's pretty damn interesting.

Snagglepuss, Deathstroke and JL were all nice today

I read literally nothing today because of a debilitating Persona 5 addiction, please send help

hey Judge what do you think of 2000AD at the moment

it feels weird to have this Savage and this ABC Warriors in the same book?

Snagglepuss is on my pull but I'm waiting to read it

I got no fucking sleep last night and have to be up at 7 so it's a quick read and a crash tonight

Dredd is kinda bleh, Brass Sun is decent, and I absolutely love the rest of the prog.
It does feel weird, but I recently went through the first of the new Savage series and the Volgan Wars in my prog slog so I'm finally tying those two continuities together. It's pretty neat. And I fucking love the Straw Dogs' design in Savage. Goddard is a beast.

I finally started DA:O

I am a very polite elf mage and I think Alistair wants to bang me

>picking worst boy
OP I thought you had better taste than this

for you kids, it's hard to overstate the degree of COMMUNIST PANIC that still went on in the 80s

he's pretty dim so far, but I just met him

Your instincts are not in vain user.

I almost bought that game on the back of your motorcycle thing. Reminded me of the all time GOAT NPC companion in Anachronox, pic related.

Alistair doesn't immediately out himself as worst boy, it's forgivable up front

also I am playing 100% unspoiled so NO SPOIL

He wants to bang everyone

Ohhhh, one of *those*

One thing I really like about DA:O is that the characters feel like they have personalities and you can't just say [nice thing] to score max relationship with them - not including Alistair. Albeit there's an gift collecting minigame that kind of circumvents that entirely. But this also kind of means my fave DA:O characters are all the ones that are the worst as people.

The NPC whose persona is a motorcycle is even a combination of Kenshiro and Kamen Rider, it's pretty fucking sick

I guess I always thought that by the time this comic came out which was what, 1986, communist panic would have died down at least a little.

i dunno if it's a snagglepuss spoiler since the book takes place in the 50s but there was some fun trolling HUAC fans/commie haters in the thread.

Man, Dastardly and Muttley has rode a thin line and it's great

Pardon me, everyone and everyTHING. So basically your average /tg/ player

I really like that NPC a lot.

It only happens in a few issues, but I love all the big Hub City riots we see. It really sells the idea of Hub as a town without hope, where people are just waiting for the chance to go out and riot at the drop of a hat.

I have that same problem going into new game plus

This is pretty unusual for a superhero comic.

lol

I am incapable of not playing polite and lawful good, so we'll see where that gets me

I want to believe the "girl DM" thread on /tg/ was real

One of the things I really liked about this comic is that at least to me, Izzy starts off as a blatant stand-in for Bullock but quickly heads into a new direction.

this is a very DC For Grownups comic and I love this era so much for the depth it took from a wide variety of angles with heroes with identities--this, Squad, Manhunter, Captain Atom are all complex material.

man, this is still fucking relevant.

>I want to believe the "girl DM" thread on /tg/ was real
Yeah, it wasn't. Great way to immediately disillusion yourself in 2018 is to see your shitposts retweeted by thousands of people.

I've never had a mama DM but I've definiely know plenty of people who are natural mamas like that, so I 100% believe it

Anyone here used Instocktrade.com? I'm about ready to order my first omnibus there and I was curious if they usually fuck up the shipping or if the trades arrive damaged at all.

goddamn i love living in the Zone

>It's like this: 20 years ago he plugged himself into a system. If that system had been just and honorable and decent, Izzy would today be a just and honorable and decent man. The system was rotten.
It's great how much Hub as a setting gets developed through Izzy. Gotham, for example, has Gordon and usually his handful of hand-picked, "Untouchables" style cops, ultimately good people in a shitty place who don't let it drag them down and will lay down their lives for its citizens.
Hub City has Izzy. That's literally it. He's the only named cop in the run, the only police officer who's an actual character, and this is what he is.

I didn't know Amanda Waller got her civil service career started in the bus depot in Hub City until now.

that pack the shit tight. you should be good.

i keep wanting to shitpost/troll that immediately post-Crisis DC is best DC but is it shit posting if it's true

I use it constantly and can't recommend it enough. The shipping is top of the line, they could ship fabrege eggs in those things.

their shipping is kind of on the slow side, but their packaging is impeccable

it was cute, though

this is...

The only good response to that thread was "why the fuck do I have to raise adult men"

Thanks, going to order the first JSA omnibus as an early birthday present!!

:(

>Call me Bernie
Fuck I can tell we're in for another Foolkiller eerie historicity ride.

Yeah, this is.....unsettling. Really glad the one time I got creeped on was nowhere near to this extent.

Eh, it was excellent for non-traditional titles, but all the core DC heroes (Flash, GL, Superman, Batman, so on) were extremely mediocre, although better than they were pre-Crisis, and everything go mired down in awful crossover events

I can't call it "overrated" because I think stuff like this and SS et all were amazing and essential for making things other than traditional superheroes viable, but it's hard to call it best DC when all their core titles were so boring and milquetoast

For my money mid-90's DC is still on top, it had great Vertigo and other non-traditional shit AND great old superheroes

forgiving an attempted? rapist is a pretty high bar to set

Hub City is a fictionalized East Saint Louis

Oh man, i was waiting to drp that bomb. Pretty much every major event in this book, is based on some shit that went down in East St. Louis.

Myra wants to kill again.

I really like how this comic sorta circumvents house style with these really characterful faces, and also the kinda stylized shortcut to violence where you just get these flashes of flat color red (which is actually more effective than like, the ultragore you still occasionally get in comics).

I can tell they're getting freer with it with the distorted faces last issue and actually starting to show you shit here too. So I'm looking forward to how the art's gonna continue to shift.

youtube.com/watch?v=nq_SpRBXRmE

Batman and Superman with both I just think "Oh yeah Year One/Man of Steel was at that time and ya know" and Baron Flash is good.

that company had a real good run from like 85-mid 00s?

this comment makes me wanna do Jonah Hex that's just history adaptations

Ennis is doing a Punisher that's pretty much that again, so

About a year or two ago, we had a Sup Forumsmrade who'd lived in East St Louis at a Question thread. It was... illuminating.

link above is StL proper, but close enough to the conditions, and also some great art

any GTA fans might go "OH" at it, too. love that deliberate riff they did.

Completely accurate but fun fact about East St. Louis, they shot some scenes for Escape from St. Louis there and they barely had to do any set design because it already looked abandoned and post-apocalyptic.

that caption box is fucking beyond perfect. the placing of it, great comicing

every issue has something perfectly *comics* in it, exploiting the page, using the format, etc.

The caption and the way he gets lower on each panel, plus the changes in size. You can feel him falling and becoming smaller and smaller as he drops.

I just fucking lost it at "zippity doo-dah, dead or alive he'll awaken someday"

ENNIS YOU MADMAN

Not from East but I'm from the StL, regular St. Louis has cleaned up from the previous link in some areas but yeah, that video definitely hits home. East St. Louis is also not AS bad as it used to be, it's just a lot of abandoned buildings but you still don't want to go there after dark.

Yeah. That you have to follow to get to it and also that it's at the actual physical point in the panel where he changes his mind. Amazing page.

Year One and MoS were great starts that just turned into boring shit, IMO. Same with Baron Flash which is a slog until WML takes over

Well shit, meant Escape from New York

that these guys all know each other is a great touch

I miss Shaw's Garden like burning, user

also this means I have to ask you where you went to high school, lol

*meant to say YO/MoS were great but what followed them was crummy

The coat is a classic, but I actually really love Vic's modern-ass jacket and gloves look. Somehow he makes it work.

knife fights are short and dangerous

it's very 80s in a good way. and his hair is always on that line of becoming a mullet

panel 3 is some prime dark slapstick

Do you have family that live there because that's something that legitimately most people that don't live in the area don't get that fellow St. Louisians will judge you solely based on your high school. It also amazes me that Hollywood and even comics haven't set more stories based in St. Louis, there is so much you can do with this city.

Vic should have an outfit for every occasion, Warm weather, cold, rain, shine, Riot.

I grew up in Cape, so adjacent enough to pick up on things, but definitely not an insider/native

Ballroom

Later on the run he gets a sleeveless t-shirt/gloves/trucker hat look that's kinda Rumble in the Bronx-y and looks fantastic for action bits.
And yeah, I love the idea of him having a big wardrobe of binary as-reactive clothing for different occasions.

the last panel really reminds me of something but I'm not sure what

user........I went to SEMO.

holy shit

small fucking world, huh?

You are telling me, I went back there a couple of months ago for the first time in two years just so I could have Burritoville again.

Hey OP. Coming in late.

Exiles is coming back! Woo! And some asshole is crapping up the thread about it with arbitrary X-Men only limits on the team!

Hello, Storyteller.

I dozed off, because my body has decided that 8pm is sleepy time, because fuck you.

>DA:O
Y'know, I never got into Dragon Age, most because I the original Mass Effect trilogy, and am thus officially tired of Bioware's shit.

it's still insane America isn't on it

I liked Batman.

>EA's shit
FTFY

She's fuck with the dynamics with her dimension hopping powers.

thanks for reading, everyone

should be back Saturday at the 7 PM slot

that I never had, but I suddenly feel nostalgia for going down to the river

Thanks for posting. This is such a good cooldown issue after the end of the first arc.

Really you could use "some asshole is crapping up the thread about it" to describe everything on this board nowadays

DA:O is like ME1 in that it's an incredible game with old-school sensibilities, ambition and a world/lore with amazing potential, that then gets wasted on sequels made to appeal to mass audiences

I would still totally recommend DA:O if you dig old CRPGs, it stands on its own just fine and you can pretend the sequels don't exist. In fact I'd say it stands on its own way better than ME, because ME spends a lot of time foreshadowing future shit that was either disappointing or just never followed up on whereas DA:O feels pretty complete by the end of the game

>dat recommended reading

River is very nice plus SEMO has a performing arts area by the river called the River Campus that I think you would really like, one last Missouri-based thought, do you miss thin-crust pizza?