Pretty much the only cartoon within this decade with actually good and relatively consistent animation...

>Pretty much the only cartoon within this decade with actually good and relatively consistent animation, a story driven plot where the story is front and center instead of just a small thing on the side, and firmly in a genre that isn't just "muh comfy" SoL
>It was shit
Why did it have to end this way?

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/animaniacs-revived-at-hulu-2-season-order-1071663
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This thread again?

>firmly in a genre that isn't just "muh comfy" SoL
Why does co hate comfy?

Because the network was jerking them around and because of George Lucas syndrome.

Because variety is the spice of life user

Because two writers will never beat an entire team. The creative input in Atla was bigger and during those days, people were able to stop Brian and Myke and tell them: "Stop. This is stupid".

Because Nickelodeon decided they wanted 4 seasons only after season one ended and the crew was packing up, and because Nickelodeon decided they only had the funding for two seasons after season 3.

Friend, you really need to stop making this thread.

The show was shit, it was cancelled years ago, and its only legacy is a shitty follow-up comic and a lot of really well-drawn smut centered around Korra and Asami.

You don't need to make a thread every single fucking day reminding everyone how the show was shit. We've talked about this over and over and over again, there is nothing new to be said about this. Get on with your life, man.

That isn't the reason. Season one had all kinds of serious problems that were totally unrelated to the renewal. The problems before the renewal being similar to the ones in later seasons suggests that the root of the problem was the writers rather than the change in format from to a seasonal show.

A better explanation is that the guys in charge were given too much creative control after the success of the first show, and could no longer be kept in check by other members of the creative team. Basically, what said

Western SoL shows just use that as a pretense to be lazy and make boring worlds where nothing ever fucking happens. That plus their inability to make cute characters just ruins it.

Think again, Mir is finally being put to shame by TMS.

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/animaniacs-revived-at-hulu-2-season-order-1071663

It will be animated by Kennedy Cartoons.

Wasn't that bad to me
Could've been better, but it was fine
Especially compared to the general quality of cartoons nowadays

No, TMS will be doing it as they're just got done with Lupin Part 5.

They wrote themselves into a corner, then slapped a lesbian sub-plot in order to cash in on the tumblr crowd, guys who actually liked Korra (all 3 of them), guys who hated everything about Korra but still liked the character's designs and wanted to fuck em, guys who never liked the series but regularly jacked off to Korra/Asami r34 and finally, fanfiction writers. These threads always end up with the same fucking answers so, lemme ask you something else..
Supposing you had full control of the series, the staff, even the voice actors...how would you fix The Legend of Korra? I suggest a "starting point" of your journey, such as season 1 finale or an important moment that you felt that it ruined the seriea (such as, lets say, when vaatu and raava were introduced)

Man, after the mostly solid third season and the absolutely stellar trailer for book 4, I was incredibly hyped. It started strong, too.
I can't believe Book 4 nosedived so hard on episode 3-onwards. God.

I think an important thing would be to let Korra play to her supposed strengths. Aang was a pacifist who was good in a fight, and he was thrown in a war. Korra was supposed to be strong in a fight but poor in negotiation, but they just had her job when she fought too, so she came off as incompetent at everything.

>ITT: america has learned nothing from George Lucas

i think that was one of the biggest problems of the series

aang was such a good main because he was this ultimate fighter in a fighty-fight-fight world in wartime, but he was a massive pacifist - and yet it worked, and he saved the world

korra on the other hand is a fighty-fight-fight chick in a peacetime world where delicate political negotiation decides the fate of millions

aang had the capability to deal with a world that played on his weaknesses. korra was made to look like an ass

the problem's highlighted by how it plays into one of the other biggest faults of the series - pointlessness. the show often feels pointless, like the writers have to make stuff up to give it a reason to keep going

korra as a character is similar - what's her motivation? what's her point? what's her struggle?

Book 2 and 4 were trash. The rest of the series was okay.

Cut things out. Trim everything down so you have more space for stuff that actually matters.

This series had WAY too many characters who only tangentially matter and they tried to make the audience care about all of them. There's a bunch of useless subplots that could have been removed for more screentime for things that people actually did care about. Probending, Kai (god this was the most transparent attempt at bryke trying to make us like a fucking awful character), Suyin (Toph's extended family as a whole really) etc...
If removing something makes a plot hole then fill it up with something else then. No Suyin means no Kuvira? Just make Kuvira some general in the old EK army then. Just cut out the clutter and weld together the parts that are left in a way that makes sense.

Korra's massive breasts.

Tighter focus on the overarching conflict, which would be the slow-motion disintegration of the Earth Kingdom. The Red Lotus are offshoots of Amon's group, and most of their Season 3 plot happens in Season 2, though they don't actually manage to topple the government until Season 3. Unalaq and the Water Tribe war never happen, or play a much smaller role. Korra ultimately beats Amon by outfighting him, thus establishing her credentials as an Avatar that can get shit done through violence. Her character growth arcs work better if she doesn't suck at the thing she's supposed to be good at.

Amon's lieutenant with the stun batons becomes a Robin Hood-style bandit who helps destabilize the Earth Kingdom after fleeing Republic City, becoming a popular folk hero with good publicity. His earnestness and charisma help him spin his inevitable clashes with the Avatar so that Korra looks like a jerk for fighting him. Korra has to defeat him by convincing the common people that his exploits are doing them more harm than good and making the whole Kingdom more vulnerable to banditry and chaos, despite how satisfying it must be to seeing him outfox corrupt government authorities and give his stolen goods back to the people. This arc is about Korra learning to fix problems with diplomacy and cleverness rather than brawn, and plays out concurrently with the Red Lotus laying the groundwork behind the scenes for their destruction of the government.

Asami remains a double agent for her father, but escapes justice and remains a persistent villain until the final season, funding terrorists and war profiteering. Kuvira is a member of Team Avatar from the start. She gets put on the path to power after she helps Korra destroy the Red Lotus and becomes the Earth Kingdom's most famous and celebrated native hero. As she turns into a tyrant, she shuts down Asami's economic exploitation of the chaotic countryside, which drives Asami to join forces with Team Avatar.

>relatively consistent animation
They had an entire fucking season where they switched animators, realized their horrible mistake two-thirds of the way through production, switched back, and had to air the crap episodes anyways.

We're never going to have another decent action/adventure cartoon. At least not on TV, anyway. Back when A:TLA first came out, you could rely on a certain number of kids watching TV at certain times of day and that left you more reliable income and more room for expesive risks. Now kids have Netflix and Youtube and Twitch so god knows when they're actually going to turn the TV on to watch some cartoons. That means not much room for risks, so you get a bunch of cheap SoL shit that sometimes has an incompitent attempt at action in there somewhere. When the big cartoon networks restructure and go for a streaming-based model, this might change but for now its gonna suck.

Swap the order of the season arcs and make appropriate adjustments to the plot. Start with the S2 arc - Korra completes her training and gets to leave the compound for the first time to go to the Solstice Festival. She meets Asami, they hit it off, she takes Korra to her first pro-bending match where they meet the Fire Ferrets. Spirits attack and they fight them together - we're introduced to Tenzin and Unalaq, and from their shit proceeds more or less the same, but with the focus exclusively on the history stuff and the civil war and taking place entirely in the poles. Korra siding with Unalaq makes sense because he's her uncle and she only just met Tenzin. Korra doing stupid shit like opening the portals makes sense because she's inexperienced.

From there go 3-4-1. We get to meet Tarrlok and Hiroshi early on, get to know them, see them fight alongside Team Avatar. This makes it all the more of an actual shock when Tarrlok is revealed as a bloodbender and Hiroshi as an equalist. It also makes Asami's decision to betray her father make more sense because she's known her friends for years instead of a few days. Korra's total fear of Amon is more justified now - we've seen her reduced to nothing and seen how much she struggled to come back from that, the threat of having everything taken away again would be overwhelming. Korra learning to airbend and connect with her past lives becomes a series arc and makes the shit with Aang at the end less of a deus ex machina and more of a cathartic conclusion.

It was meant to be a miniseries and unlike Avatar where the plot had a clear goal to focus on Bryke had no idea what the fuck to do and just threw shit at the wall to see what worked.

this - 90% of LOK's problems stem from the lack of a coherent series arc for the story and characters the way TLA had. they made it up as they went along and it fucking shows

The writing was garbage because it was mostly just Bryke writing. Though even with better writers pacing would probably always be an issue since the seasons are all 12 eps & mostly self-contained.

Fuck off, TMSfag.

''actually good(it was really bad)'' ''story driven plot(no overarching narrative, only villain of the season)''

as much as i hate big corpo, leaving bryke total control was a huge mistake. sacking the martial art consultant was also a huge mistake.

bryke literally shat on every bit of lore ATLA made, fucking blasphemy.

season 1 and 3 i thought were really good, s4 was ok but ended pretty flat, s2 was just absolute crap , Amon , Zaheer , Kuvirra where all pretty good antagonists

It's always easier to see how to fix things in hindsight and without knowing about corporate problems.

That season still had fantastic animation for most of it, it only had the first few episodes looking like inconsistent ass.

Yeah it didn't look bad
But that wasn't the problem with S2

>Asami's decision to betray her father make more sense because she's known her friends for years instead of a few days.
Honestly, if my father revealed himself as a member of ISIS all of a sudden I'd be hard pressed NOT to betray him, whether or not I had friends directly fighting against him.

Man, Korra is cool when she's not jobbing.
Speaking of which, giving her the avatar state was such a mistake, especially since she had to job with it against a goddamn spirit. Sprits which were SPECIFICALLY WEAK AGAINST BENDING

korra was a mistake

The sexiest cartoon character ever is not a mistake no matter how bad the show was and how poorly they utilized her.

It was a pretty good show.

Season 1 should have been just about pro-bending and developing the new Team Avatar and their friendship. The thing I regret the most about LOK is how little we actually got to see of Republic City. That was by far the coolest idea the show had going for it, but it hardly spent any time developing the city as a character. I wanted to see the insides of those tall skyscrapers, hear more asian jazz music, spend more time in the seedy underbelly.

If the first season had just been Korra getting to know the city and it's inhabitants, then the eventual civil war would have felt all the more serious.

>The thing I regret the most about LOK is how little we actually got to see of Republic City.
Yeah, very good point: RC was woefully underutilized. Even what we saw of RC was mostly a backdrop, outside the date episode and probending, there was practically no interaction between the characters and the city. I do think Book 1 was actually super solid up to almost the finale, even the romance. Last couple episodes really brought it down though.

four years later, and I'm still pissed off for dat ending.

Amon isn't a waterbender and is an Energybender. Season 1 + 2 are focused on Amon. Season 3 + 4 are focused on Zaheer and the Red Lotus Founder, Kuvira is a post-story story + Bolin vs. Mako fight.

I remember seeing this panning shot in the first episode and imagining all the crazy shit Korra would get up to in a city that big. Fucking breaks my heart.

Or just combine the anti-bender movement and Red Lotus into one thing. Make it one of those anarchist cells Long Feng talked about.

>six months before it aired people having daily threads about how they'd hang out in jazz clubs and shit.

Also damn Naga was made a noncharacter so fast. I'm happy she at least got to smash some robots in the game.

But the red lotus was benders.

Make them non-benders. More interesting when they're the underdog.

No, that's stupid. The great thing about them was their crazy bending.

It's like having a family members that dies of a drug overdose. At some point your grief is overcome by the anger of how much they threw away.

Disagree.

>Amon isn't a waterbender and is an Energybender.
Sounds like equalist propaganda to me. If it was true energybending it'd be impossible to reverse. It's just a combination of blood bending and chi blocking.

That seems oddly specific user. Who hurt you?

Well you're opinion is bad and wrong. Them being an evil team avatar doesn't work if they're not benders. They'd just become a worse team of Ty-Lees.

Respectfully.

>Who hurt you?
Mike and Bryan.

Watch Tron.

>If it was true energybending it'd be impossible to reverse
It would be easy to reverse by an energybender, which is what Korra achieved in the avatar state via aang.

I apologize for my rudeness. But P'Li without explosion beams is not P'Li.

No that's dumb
Red Lotus' entire draw is that they're odd group of powerful benders, almost like Team Avatar or OG White Lotus
Making all the antagonists non-benders would be boring

This is how I'd do it:
Amon was born as a nonbender
Bender dad sees him as a disappointment, abuses him. There's his motive for wanting to equalize the world.
Amon's brother, Tarrlok, replaces Unalaq but without the dumb shit and he's the secret ex-Red Lotus member. He fits in with the main Red Lotus members odd bending scheme because of his powerful bloodbending.

I'm mostly interested in the question how a non-bending faction would combat the Avatar and the four nations.

What was the White Lotus anyway?

How would woodbending work?

Wood was heavily associated with wind in chinese mythology because they caught the cause/effect relationship of trees bending in the wind backwards. That said, the swamp benders could bend plants so waterbenders get it

Would probably just be an aspect of Waterbending.

Avatar-verse follows the western four-element interpretation. Not the Eastern one like in your image.

Woodbending would seriously buff airbending if it were possible.

Through superior tech
Hiroshi was a once-in-a-lifetime genius, he's pretty much the entire reason the Equalists were a global threat

Group of eccentrics that are fond of the "finer arts." Which probably means philosophy, bending abilities, and just general knowledge that they share amongst themselves despite the national/political situation that divides the four nations.

But than...
>We are what the White Lotus was meant to be. But after the Hundred Year War, the White Lotus lost its true purpose. Its members came out of hiding and openly served the Avatar. They became nothing but glorified bodyguards who served corrupt nations. So a great man named Xai Bau broke from the White Lotus and began his own society.

>I'm mostly interested in the question how a non-bending faction would combat the Avatar and the four nations.
Isn't that the actual point of the equalists though?

>So a great man named Xai Bau broke from the White Lotus and began his own society.
And then you realize Zaheer was full of shit because they just wanted to capture, poison and murder baby korra.

I find it interesting that the White Lotus was in someway related to the Hundred Year War.
>Through superior tech
I was thinking without that during the same time period when Avatar takes place.

No, they wanted to indoctrinate baby Korra

>metal benders bend the impurities in the metal to bend the material
>don't actually bend metal
>similar to how water benders can bend mud by bending the water and the earth is just brought along for the ride

major plot point that pure platinum is used to prevent metal bending
>literally no reason to use plat since any fucking metal substance can be smelt to ridiculously high purity levels

>korra is poisoned with mercury
>they bend this metal
>assume they sprinkled dirt in beforehand
>they bend the mercury out
>this happens years fucking later when any possible earth wouldn't have been in there anymore

literal fucking plothole. If anything having katara blood bend the mercury out would have made more sense.

Then there would be no reason to try to kill her in the avatar state in Book 4, since they could still indoctrinate her reincarnation. Zaheer was lying through his teeth to get Korra to sit still.

>korra uses fire despite being born into and raised by water tripe
>primarily uses fire, her opposite according to the cycle
>is explained away by "her personality override the avatar cycle rules"
>should still struggle with her opposite which would be water
>logical since korra is insanely stubborn and does not adapt to change well at all
>just brute forces the fuck out of everything
>instead she struggles with air
>reason being she lacks any spiruality
>no reason given as to why
>no reason as to why air is somehow more spiritual than the other elements
>when she learns airbending it has fuck all to do with spirituality
>issue is never brought up again

Everybody knows wood bending is just water bending combined with earth bending.

I don't think Zaheer was lying, he was being completely honest with Korra.
And finding the next reincarnation would be too difficult and uncertain, they only have one lifetime to complete their objective. The Avatar was just going to keep being a threat to, what they thought, was the best course for the world. And it's true. Pretty much every Avatar in history has supported the "corrupt" system that e.g. led to the regicide of an entire nation.

genocide****

Her hard element being air made perfect sense. She was a prisoner of the expectations put on her by others and herself, air is the element of freedom.
Her airbending unlock was a mess though.

>aang and the gang and the white lotus planned for korra to spent her time training alone, in a single location, instead of going through the normal avatar journey of seeking out masters to teach them bending and the lessons/culture that came with it
>bullshit excuse that this was for her safety
>despite it being peace time
>despite aang and the gang having done it during a war in which they were being actively hunted
>later on they patch this by introducing the red lotus
>claim the red lotus was too dangerous to let korra roam free
>but the red lotus was in jail the entire fucking time

>And finding the next reincarnation would be too difficult and uncertain
Why? The White Lotus manages every time, and they could try again every couple years, if not them then other red lotus members. And by themselves, Zaheer and Co were enough of a threat to kill the Queen of the Earth nation, they didn't need an indoctrinated Avatar for absolutely anything.

>Korra uses fire despite being born into the Water Tribe.
Water bitches can't resist Fire dicks.
I would fuck Korra's mom though if given a chance.

It made no sense. The show said it was because she lacked spirituality. Which made no sense as to why spirituality is a prerequisite for air and not the other elements. No reason was given as to why she had this defect. Said defect was resolved when she learned air.

Also there's the bullshit where KORRA'S PERSONALITY OVERRODE THE FUCKING AVATAR CYCLE

>spend all her life trapped in a White Lotus compound
>can't learn element of freedom
o shit

It was my always my favorite thing about the Avatar's training that they struggled with their elemental opposites. Like with Roku and waterbending.

>Vaatu explains he made the portals to wage war on humanity
>humanity flees on the backs of lion turtles just to survive
>Won defeats Vaatu and closes the portals after leading the spirits back over
>humanity flourishes
>Korra sees this
>decides to keep the portals open
>season 4 shows the vines taking over with no way of stopping it
>korra just expects everyone to deal with it

>>despite aang and the gang having done it during a war in which they were being actively hunted
That wasn't exactly a safe or smart way to go about it at all, just a necessity.
And the red lotus is a large organization, not just the 4 villains.

She lacked spirituality for the same reason she couldn't manage airbending, personality and responsibility. Tenzin, for example, despite being Lord Airbender, couldn't do the astral projection for the same reason.
Her personality didn't override anything. There's no reason for every water avatar to have the same personality.

They got toned down as the series went on. We can't have nice things.

>earth kingdom loses it's queen
>korra decides to fuck off for three years
>dictator takes power
>puts people into concentration camps
>wages war against republic city
>her army is shown to be incredibly devoted to her
>they take out and put her in jail
>korra immediately goes on vacation
>while people are still locked up in camps
>expect Kuvira's military to just 100% give up power and stand down

How on Earth do you fuck up something as simple as
>hero is a haughty asshole
>hero loses to a villain and needs to get humbled to proceed
>hero wins

>element of freedom
That's just how Iroh defined it. It could be referring to a personal internal freedom.

The vines were caused by vaatu, not the portals. And it's not like the portals were even that much of a problem, most strong and dangerous spirits could come and go as they wished. Closing the portals would just remove all the little ghibli ripoffs, maybe.

>And the red lotus is a large organization, not just the 4 villain
Which is weird then cause we went two full seasons with fuck all influence of them. Until the four came back the organization was meaningless. And afterwards they were meaningless.

>Also there's the bullshit where KORRA'S PERSONALITY OVERRODE THE FUCKING AVATAR CYCLE
Did we see Wan struggle with water despite being a native firebender?
Earth being a stubborn element shouldn't bother Aang since he is too stubborn to compromise his beliefs. The whole "block" thing shouldn't be a Pokemon treatment of the elements but based on what the elements represent.

>There's no reason for every water avatar to have the same personality.
Except for thousands of years the avatar cycle has been followed until Korra. And the genius idea as to why she broke the cycle was "her personality"

Also you just said she lacked spirituality because of personality yet said personality didn't override anything

She had no internal freedom either. I mean, Zaheer learned it while in jail, of course it doesn't mean actual physical freedom. Bending is more influenced by personality and spiritual attunement than physical situations.

Vaatu literally says "I created the portals to wage war against humanity"

>Except for thousands of years the avatar cycle has been followed until Korra
What are you even on about? Korra is born a waterbender, which is following the avatar cycle. Her personality, or the personality of any avatar, isn't part of the avatar cycle.

It's almost like back in TLA bending was more a manifestation and extension of a people's culture and way of life than just magic powers and so it was logical that a bending type that was contrary to an avatar's world view and culture would cause the most difficulty.

And the Owl just came and went with his whole library whenever he felt like it, so did shit like that bear forest spirit or Koh.