Were marvel crossover events ever good?

Were marvel crossover events ever good?

Hell fucking no. Civil War I was practically the only thing that was good about it because it had a point. This was just because Captain Marvel followed some mystic fortune telling and turns everyone on Miles becasue "this guy tells me that it is gonna happen."

Except the one thing about fortune tellers is that you don't really do anything for the activity to even occur. It's similar to the bait and switch method, if you don't do this particular action like it's told. Then another alternative fucking timezone goes to a complete different situation.

This is just Hero 101, the fact that Stark doesn't understand this and is written as this hot head makes it even more laughable. I can excuse Carol, but Tony fucking Stark who has worked with these kinds of mystics for years?

I'm beginning to think crossovers in general are rarely good, either DC or Marvel

Age of Apocalypse is the best comic event ever

>who has worked with these kinds of mystics for years?
So much faith in the editors you have.

Only the original Secret Wars, Onslaught and Annihilation.

They were pretty good in the 80's. In the original Secret Wars, the heroes fought each other a bit, but it wasn't for some contrived, character warping plot device or macguffin- they fought because they were a bunch of strong type-A personalities stranded in a strange place together where emotions were running high because it wasn't clear if they'd ever get home, or even survive the "war" long enough for that to be a consideration.

Too bad the event's name is always going to be associated with the bastardized modern rehash. Kind of like what happened when DC's original 52 maxiseries and The New 52, actually.

Thanos Imperative was pretty solid if you consider that an event.

Jesus, Jan got picked up on a really bad fashion day.

Don't forget Maximum Carnage. The scale was a bit smaller (more like Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends Feat. The Avengers than a true Marvel Universe event), and it was DEFINITELY dumb, but it was also fun as hell.

The more I think about it, IIRC, I think Onslaught was the last time the Marvel heroes really fought together. The X-Men, F4 & The Avengers were the last line against an impossible foe.

Crossovers were never meant to be good, groundbreaking or memorable. Whenever it happens is just an accident. They are just a long ass glorified ads.
>"You read this book? Man, then check this character of ours. You see, he lives in same universe and as cool as the one you like. You should buy his books too sometimes"

Sometimes there'd be this big thing happening across the X-Men, X-Force, and other assorted titles. It wouldn't be a proper crossover event, more just a wide-scale Mutant event, but they have been good. Some guy storytimed the entire Mutant Messiah arc about a year ago, I think. That was pretty good.

Wasn't there a shit-load of seed planting for that storyline? I haven't gotten that far yet in my reading, but I remember hearing about that storyline being planned out well.
That seems to be the main problem with so many events, in that the plot developments are not laid out well enough. Secret Empire actually pretty good development, but then the event itself was mediocre.

Annihilation

Maximum Carnage was absolute shit if you don't completely turn off your brain. AXIS would be a better dumb fun event.

>ctrl f infinity gauntlet
>no results
Come on guys.

Better than most DC ones, yes.

Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest were great. I think the moment where I realized Marvel Cosmic was going to be my main shit was when I was reading the prologue of Annihilation, until that page where Richard wakes up and sees the entire devastation while a counter was going down on every page... That was brutal. A similar feeling was when the Phalanx takes over the Kree worlds and they're forced to scramble for help right as it expands, the overwhelming sensation of hopelessness was something I don't think I would've felt if I were reading something based around Earth.

I got into comics late, around Civil War II... And yet by then I realized it was a shit event LMAO. I read Secret Empire and I have to concur, the setup was great (seeing Rogers vision of a perfect world as the pieces feel into place, etc), but some aspects of it when it started didn't quite land, not to mention the relentless controversy and "hot takes" from comic imbeciles kinda bummed me out and ruined the whole thing for me, couldn't even enjoy the little good things it had.

Siege and Dark Reign were enjoyable.
Even the Ares minis were hot. WWH was okay.

Then again, they were my first comic events i was introduced to, so i might have rose colored glasses.

Are you the same autist on all marvel posting this same short retarded answer?

Axis was okay in that balls to the walls stupid kinda way, it's clearly the best of the modern post Maximum Security events

1) Axis
2) House of M
3) World War Hulk
4) Siege
5) Secret Invasion
6) Civil War
7) Age of Ultron
8) Secret Wars III
9) Avengers vs X-Men
10) Fear itself
11) Civil War II
12) Infinity
13) Secret Empire
14) Inhumans vs X-Men
15) Original Sin

>1)axis
>8)secret wars 3

you on the pipe, son?

Doesn't Annihilation and the events that followed it count as "modern"?

Last good event

Wow, putting all on a list like that really makes you realize the scope of the shit that people ingested for so long.

Yeah Messiah Complex was decent.

I like Axis. Its fun. Almost all side stories are awesome.

Annihilation is a crossover like Messiah Complex or Spider Island it's not an event

Secret Wars 3 is garbage, the tie ins were garbage, ending every book was garbage and the relaunch was beyond garbage and the entire line has suffered ever since, Axis was at least unoffensive and didn't ruin anyone's book.

Maximum Carnage sucked dude

I kinda fail to see the difference.

Pretty much this, with the bonus effect of having them butt in on books you actually like and completely ruining the pacing. For example Civil War took a giant shit on almost every book at the time except Cable and Deadpool, which still had a tie-in but remained good.

>Civil War I was practically the only thing that was good

Even the way they did it was bad. The point was well laid, but the way they made the event was done badly.

Want a superior Civil War? Play Ultimate Alliance 2.

It is a difference in scale. Crossovers only affect a small number of ongoing titles. Events derail most of the titles.

>7) Age of Ultron
>9) Avengers vs X-Men
Above...
>10) Fear itself
Fuck You.

Explain how in the mother fuck Infinity is that low.
It should be in the upper 3rd for Artwork alone & there is plenty more great about it.

Dark Reign was the last one I really liked, but the ones directly before and after were shit.