Why do so many Americans cling so desperately to Irish "heritage?"

Why do so many Americans cling so desperately to Irish "heritage?"
Isn't being American enough?
I could understand taking an interest in it, but people who decide they are "Irish" over being "American" when nobody in their family has visited Ireland or NI decades seems silly.

Nothing makes me cringe more than some yank telling me "You're from Ulster? Up the IRA my celtic brother!!!!"

Blame the SJWs.

>inb4 nice flag
>inb4 ulster is British

Yes, it is. It has been for some time.
I have dual citizenship, both with ROI and NI, and traced my family back as far as 1700 and have found a majority came from the south, with the next largest number coming from north Ulster and the next largest group coming from Shetland, of all places.

I guess this can be a /muhheritage/ thread if that isn't a bit /his/ for Sup Forums

SJWs killed the republican movement here.

I call myself Irish because I am Irish, but will continue to vote Unionist until a not-cucked republican party shows up.

Republicans who call me cucked or a traitor or retards, because I'll take keep my little corner of Ireland non-blacked over bankrupting us all and getting culturally enriched for the sake of "muh unity"

Its just to get smashed on St. Patrick's day.

some actually have all Irish parents, grandparents, etc. Others, like me, have some Irish and that's the only European ancestry they're aware that they have. I don't have an Irish name, but I'm Catholic because one side of my family is Irish Catholic

A lot of ignorance, but also when their families came over it was one of the few things they could cling to - Irish working class neighborhoods were a very real part of urban America for a very long time. Past that people held onto it even after losing any significant ties because the US is a young country without roots as firm.

But it's also an exaggeration. Very few talk like that, and the few that do get a lot of negative attention for it. Unfortunately those types are also likely to travel to Ireland as well.

I have to admit, plastic paddy's get to me after a while. Most of them have more in common with native Americans than actual Irish. And if you're ulster Irish then you're likely Anglo but most of the times they're too stupid to know that. As for wanting to be Irish I can understand that, certainly much better than being British :p

I feel the same way m8.

I used to be a republican, until I learned to read.

That sucks to hear, I've stayed out of politics for the most part around NI, generally just vote SDLP and gtfo.

All my mick friends used to make fun of yankees for the whole "muh irish blood" thing. We've got a similar thing here in Canada with both scottish and irish blood. I think it's white-people wanting a cultural identity to cling to after being told by liberals that they can't just be proud of being white.

Colonies hated England; Irish hate England.
Irish immigrants bring hate from Ireland to America after they lose their potatoes.

We collectively BTFO England; more Irish come over; become law enforcement and establish entertainment for rest of America.

We're OG buds. Don't hate, Mick.

>likely anglo

More likely Scot, depending on where you are.

As for
>better than being British

Fuck off, nigger.

The anti-british sentiment ended after the Troubles when British troops fucked off and England apologised for being cunts.

Ulster Loyalists are the enemy now, except they're not really because Unionist parties are superior in every single way to literally every single relevant republican party.

When a republican party shows up that isn't cucked and has a single clue about economics, I'll happily vote for them.

Till then, Unionist all the way.

I don't mind that at all. Again; I'm from Ulster and so are my parents but I call myself Irish because a majority of our family have been from Ireland whether north or south.

I'll go republican when a good party shows up.
I would like to see a United Ireland, but a United Ireland as a new non-shit entity with close ties to Britain, instead of just "Ulster in the ROI."

I wouldn't call myself very British at all, I don't wear a poppy because I don't support what the Brits did here but I do donate to veteran charities because only a retard would wish harm upon British soldiers today.
I don't care much for the monarchy or take much pride in Britain beyond the sort of relation Brits have with France.

I don't call the IRA pre late troubles/GFA terrorists, but do call the post-50s loyalist paras terrorists, as well as today's IRA and all 15 quintillion splinters of it.

But being American is the ultimate "lol fuck off Brits" because you actually beat them.
Ireland is free because we memeraided them hard and they REEEE'd hard enough back to spur a nation-wide hatred strong enough to warrant independence.

England would re-occupy and pacify is in half an hour.
Why take Irish over American?

When a 200 year heritage just isn't enough

>Fuck off, nigger.

And the truth comes out. You say your nationalist yet you see Irish as "Nigers". Here is another classic example of an Ulster Unionist pretending to be Irish. Orange Nigger detected!

Good lad.

I'd rather a Republic of Northern Ireland than unity.

They had their chance and they fucked it up. I want nothing to do with them anymore. They'll wreck our gene pool if we let them.

>When no one in their family has visited Ireland

But I have user. I even kissed the blarney stone.

Please tell me you didn't. I know people who pissed on that stone.

UK, you're not using your head.
A lot of Americans, myself included identify with our nations of ancestors for 2 reasons.
>American as a race only applies to natives
>Most Americans here are probably only 3-4 generation.
My grandpa came in 1958, and my grandma came here in 1959.
Reguardless of whether you identify with it or not.
ANGLOS ARE JUST DANISH

>But being American is the ultimate "lol fuck off Brits" because you actually beat them.

Yes, with a large portion of our farmer army being Irish settlers.

>England would re-occupy and pacify is in half an hour.
>Why take Irish over American?

I don't think they're "taking" Irish over American. They still love to breathe the sweet, sweet air of freedom. I think it's more of an honorary thing. In a sports context: America scores with the assist from Ireland!

My family has maintained a lot of Irish traditions through the generations since immigrating over. We like the food, the music, and have visited several times, as well as have taken an active interest in our ancestry.
Mostly, though, my family is friends with a lot of other families of Irish heritage and lives in an area with a lot of Irish heritage folks. We have our own unique cultural idiosyncrasies and quirks as Irish Americans, but none of us would say it's like we're actually practicing Irish culture.
Ultimately whether actually Irish people care or not doesn't cross any of our minds, they can be mad if they want to. As white Americans we're used to insignificant groups claiming we're culturally appropriating them, and we're not about to start caring now

>implying
I'm not an Orange subhuman.

I vote Unionist because the republican parties are shit.

SF is refugees-welcome tier and SDLP is an absolute shambles.
The cross community parties are either irrelevant or want to tax everyone for everything.

So I'm left with Unionist parties.

>thinking muh united ireland is more important than continued economical stability of the two states contained with Ireland

Absolutely fucking retarded.

>republic of northern ireland
Eh.
I don't care too much about "muh gene pool" within reason but ROI is reaching the beyond the reasonable stage.

Like I said, if a decent party emerges that wants a capable, not-broke, not-cucked United Ireland, I'm all over it.

nigger people piss on that stone every single day

I guess that makes sense.
There are similarities between our REEEE'ing over home rule and your "muh representation" stuff.
Still, though. Irish-American is an identity for someone with close ties to Ireland, not someone who's family came over decades ago who hasn't left the USA in their lives.

>late 1900s
That's grand.

In my OP I spoke of people who have had shit all relation to Ireland for decades/reach desperately to find relation to it for the sake of it.

But if you're going to be "Irish-American" you ought to as a bare minimum know enough about Ireland to know that the IRA are no longer someone to cheer on, or that anti-british sentiment is a bit retarded now.

>american heritage

fucking what? coke and burgers, killing natives?

theres nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage

>"You're from Ulster? Up the IRA my celtic brother!!!!"

only retarded faggots act like this

that's the attitude people refer to when they say American anglo/eirephiles are cringeworthy.

Nigger America has existed longer than the Republic of Ireland has.
People who say "being america is a non-heritage" are absolute faggots.

Although it's a bit rich coming from a Finn, who's history consists of being next to relevant Scandinavians and getting cucked by Russia.

You're the Wales of Northern Europe, except not as interesting.

There are a lot of retarded faggots.

The "No hyphenated Americans" meme is cultural marxism

>hey goys, abandon thousands of years of your ancestors traditions, you're an American! Replace it with consumerism and chicken tendies

Plastic Paddys are funny and ultimately are a good thing for Ireland. It's literally only shoneens who complain about them.

It started with JFK. The Irish up turned nose was seen as a sign of ugly but when the kennedys were a well to do and considered Irish family it marked the first publicly acknowledged positive that the Irish brought with them. When it became fashionable soon others in America started to brag and do some background history into what the fuck the Irish actually accomplished unnoticed. The Irish worked with the chinks on the rail ways. The irish were cheaper slaves than the blacks. The Irish brought over halloween and St.Patricks day as extra holidays and..well basicly it meant that if you were white you could also play the victim card, the immigrant card with the addition that being Irish meant you had made no enemies of other countries.

tl;dr. Being an Irish American is like what Original Sin is to Christians but in a positive way.

And what makes you think that N.I and R.O.I wouldn't benefit. Cork has one of the largest ports in Europe for exporting and Belfast has one of the largest ports for importing. Having those linked via Highway would make Ireland one of the largest handlers of foreign goods in the world. You've been blue pilled to believe that it has anything to do with religion. When in actual fact it's Britain trying to retain to it's own economic reliance. It's a divide and conquer meme and you fell for it.

Seems confined to the older generation. White millenials aren't proud of their heritage, whatever it may be.

Like I give a fuck? Its supposed to be symbolic. Thankfully i'm 25 percent german so I have nationalism in my blood and am not full on potato nigger.

>religion

Nobody in NI is religious. Being Protestant or Catholic just determines what side of the riots you're on during the 12th, and whether you support rangers or cetlic.

As for economics, sentiments of "but what if we did this, this would happen" do not undo the fact that that the ROI in particular does not have the economy to support the 6 counties of Ulster joining, along with everything that will bring.

If a day comes when the ROI is ready and both states will benefit under a political party that isn't shite, I'm all for it.

But for now, nah.

That's nice Goldberg, now run along.

Not an argument

>Why do so many Americans cling so >desperately to Irish "heritage?"

Its an excuse to get pissed all the time

>Irish-American is an identity for someone with close ties to Ireland, not someone who's family came over decades ago who hasn't left the USA in their lives.

Oh I definitely agree. Anyone here with the last name of "Brien," or "Malley," or "Sullivan," et. Irish. try to slap an "O" in front of it in certain social settings that could slightly wax Irish and suddenly they're full blooded when they've never left their hometown.

I think it's because insecure white people here in the States feel left out of the "cool" hyphenated double identity hugbox that the shitskins engage in on a regular basis, so they do it to make themselves into snowflakes as well.

75 percent Irish and a quarter german lol.

>goldberg

I fucking hate jews I dont know what you are getting on about.

Why would anyone be proud of being Irish, anyway? They're the niggers of Western Europe.

Savage

Its desporia friend, same reason why the second and third generation pakis show their pride by trying to turn parts of england into sharia zones.

I imagine the same reason so many Brits cling to delusions of imperial grandeur.

I enjoy feeling close with my past and I've been there twice now. I've met actual family members over there and have done enough research to qualify for a passport if I felt like it.

You have a nice country :3

Ive literally never seen that happen.
Theres a bit of cringy shit with this "kiss me im irish" crap around st patrics day.

The "muh heritage" stuff comes from it being our ethnicity. "american" isnt a race, well to anyone that isnt a melting pot kike globalist.

Actually it's one of the few countries in Europe that's growing massively in Economy. We play it down for tax reasons. We could easily handle six more counties even without making any difference to infrastructure. It's not just a case of what if. Loads of projects like this have been tried and shut down, because Britain has a vested interest in making sure it doesn't happen.

>tfw rich, Texan heritage

I really miss living in the greatest state in the Union... :(

america has no ethnicity and many communities are made up of the idea of an ethnic heritage, they grew up this way because someone from your paddy ass place told them about the glory of being Irish and being with other Irish people in an Irish community that was nestled in Boston.

They grew up thinking "I am ethnically Irish" from day 1.

Because we have no American Ethnicity and are made up of anywhere from 1st to 5th generation immigrants many American's cling to old Ethnic Identities.

>He couldn't even make it to the 4th sentance

lmao fucking yanks

America seen it's German population grow by 4 million during the 2nd world war. They were all jews fleeing the nationalist uprising. When did your parents move to America might I ask?

Probably they only started doing it after JFK got in.

the diaspora were always our greatest asset, they sent millions over here to fund the cause
being upset because the descendants or people claiming to be the descendants of Irish who went to America saying that they're Irish/Irish-American is retarded, you should be proud that people care about us or take any interest in us at all since we're a relatively tiny Nation with zero clout or relevancy internationally

>voting sdlp

People like to have an identity.

Being American is different than being British. We are American first, not identified by genetics, but by accepted cultural identities.

So what gets forgotten is our genetic and older cultural heritage. People enjoy learning where they came from and who their ancestors were.

They want some history and identity to cling to. What's particularly funny is how many go there on holiday expecting it to be magical but end up getting rained on for a week instead.

More people need to understand basic genetics. You have 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, 16 great great grandparents, 32 great great great grandparents, 64 great great great great grandparents, etc. Of course you've related to every major European ethnicity if you're white. And of course you're related to Genghis fucking Kahn and the Roman Emperors. And even if you send off for one of those DNA testing kits, the results are imprecise and are in terms of whole regions, so you might have Scandinavian genes, but fuck knows if they're specifically Norwegian or Swedish.

>rich austin culture

Because success inspires imitation

My German grandparents emigrated from Bremen in the 20s. Does that mean anything?

because the american media tells them from the moment they are born that being an american is "lame/boring" so people try to make themselves appear more interesting.

>success
Pretending to be a victim offers a lot of power in America. You'll never run into an English-American

scots-irsh is a massive influence on american culture u dumbass.

They were born in America. I've got blonde hair and blue/green eyes and am as pale as fuck. I now live during a Trump presidency. My ancestors moved here during the potato famine, I am related to francis scott key and daniel boone. Nothing you can say will rustle me you full on potato nigger, unlike you my ancestors were smart enough to seek opportunity.

there are retarded fags here too except saying they are native american because some bullshit like 1/32 native blood

what do think WASP means you stupid nigger

I'm 63/64ths Cherokee, but one of my great great great great grandparents was Irish and my surname is O'Malley. I'm Oirish, up the IRA, Cork lmao.

Time to buy some Irish dirt kekeke

HE COULDA DOYD

The German depression was likely the cause of their migration, which actually makes the victims of the jew destruction on Germany. So yeah, hatred for jews is well placed.

Witnesseth These Quads!

t. Englomerican

A term only used in a derogatory way because they're seen as elite. Literally proving my point

>You'll never run into an English-American

We have a specific phrase for that one: Benedict Arnold.

The thing I hate most is when they say Gaelic to mean Irish, especially when they treat Scottish and Irish as one thing. Whenever I hear the word Gaelic, I think football.

Irish immigrants played a large roll in American history, and is probably the only one that all whites feel universally proud of.

>Built Railroads
>Large numbers of irish in police and fire departments
>Fought for the Union in the Civil War
>Fought for the Rebs in the Civil War
>Bred like rabbits, and are probably most responsible for keeping America as white as it is (lel)

Plus their folk music is pretty well-loved for some reason.

Speaking of which, I've always wondered if colonists back then would have had British accents.

you european fags dont understand. it has nothing to do with "le motherland"
it's about american culture.. havent u queers seen gangs of new york
the Appalachians are vastly different culturally than say Louisiana
only scots-irish give a fuck about le motherland

Ahem

My mother is British but my father is American

I was born in America and am a duel citizen so suck my colonial cock

Due to microaggression in their ancestors' lifes, a.k.a. the Irish Famine, they rationalize overeating as a form of civil disobedience and a valid strategy against governmental transgressions.

tl;dr:
Claiming to be a potatonigger makes obesity a-ok. Big gulps against muh government.

Fucking this

Irish are a fucking cancer

mafags are liberal cucks, they don't represent america

This. Checked and kekd.

your accent has changed not ours.
brits from 17th century sounded more like americans than they do now

ya most americans who say they're irish are like 10% at most just saying it for "muh saint patrick's day"

People want be considered Irish badly here. Even some blacks I know think they have Irish "ancestry"...Its ridiculous.

Based quads of truth. No two things define an Irishman more than being a drunk with a victim complex.

Cause fuck being American.

Legit question, during the time of the famine, why did the irish not go fishing?

Dear Anglo, they are proud because the {{{Irish}}} control over the USA.

I will not

This, dumbfuck Americans on Sup Forums are the only Americans I know who do this. The concept of having no ethnic identity is from the manifesto itself.

This, dumbfuck Americans on Sup Forums are the only Americans I know who do this. The concept of having no ethnic identity is from the manifesto itself.

>why do people cling to their ethnic heritage in a multicult cosmopolitian babylon
well, obviously, because its programmed into us to strongly identify with our genetic heritage. How do you live in the UK and not appreciate that? Are you some faggot on a proxy?

also hardcore hillbillies from Appalachia sound like irish ppl. they even have a lot of the same dialect.

theres a reason for that ya dum cunt

>only scots-irish give a fuck about le motherland
lol, they're the same ones that don't know they're Anglo. They were part of a colonial project from Britain that tried to use Scottish royalists(Anglo sottish settlers) to colonize Donegal. But we burnt them out and to hide their mark of exile they called themselves Scot-Irish.

>Basing your denomination on your ancestry

Cancer that killed America.

You can pretty much triangulate if an American is going to be obsessed about their heritage based on if that group had to earn its place and how well they were able to fit in when they got here.

British people were first, and fought a war with other British people not to be British anymore, so that establishes the precedent that its not in American culture to care about where you're from.

Lots of Germans already in the country or French people coming over to check out wtf after the revolutionary war.

Eventually we start taking on immigrants on a huge scale, and some of them had communities to go to, some of them quickly picked up the idea "you are an American now"

Some groups are like the Irish and they didn't ever really want to come here but they did and they insisted "fuck you I'm Irish" and it became a meme.

Brits from the 17th century sounded like modern day brits from south west England. west country/cornish sounding accent

You honestly don't believe they sound like modern day Americans do you lmao

>you will never be Texan
>you will never be Japanese
>you will always be Ecuadorian

This fucking thread again.

Is this all you care about? We just affected the course of world history and you're still banging on about this Plastic Paddy shit. Grow the fuck up and direct your energies elsewhere. Anyone reading this board would think the Irish are some kind of Autist-Nigger hybrid based on the content of most of our posts - muh IRA, muh Plastic Paddies and, of course, muh What do you think of us guys?

>inb4 you're being autistic and caring what people think.

Kek enlighten these fuckers.

There was never anything to really bring together immigrants sharing a common culture/ethnicity from England
Irish were reviled a lot by other communities for a variety of reasons, the main one normally being religion, plus the hardships that brought about their emigration (famine, poverty, whatever) and a sense of severance from a homeland all wrapped up in a sense of being strangers in a strange land contributed to the solidarity seen and the emergence of Irish-American identity, the formation of societies like Clan na Gael and the encouragement of Irishness within those communities

What do you consider Irish food?

Both changed, silly. American and British accents of today sound very little like those of 100 years ago, even.