Animaniacs reboot not hiring old writers

I fucked up Sup Forums I made a huge thread of screen shots of the Animaniacs writers' reactions to not being hired for the reboot-- and then I posted it to Sup Forums like a fool

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bwi96ZRtc_8
youtu.be/CG9-SCVc-E0
youtube.com/watch?v=xmlmBmgo6T4
twitter.com/NateRuegger/status/949116994334343168
twitter.com/APCole90/status/949163642653585408
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>many of the show’s writers started off as COMEDIANS first. Several of them did improv at The Groundlings How many kids shows on air hired successful comedians to write them?

I'm really curious about this, do modern cartoons hire comedians?

I didn't realize Sup Forums didn't care about Animaniacs

I'll be honest, I never cared much for the Animaniacs even when I was a child. But, I hope some people find the reboot fun and enjoyable.

>Sup Forums Internet love machine

Since Adventure Time they've been big on getting alt-comics people (maybe earlier considering Invader Zim as well as Kaz being on Spongebob), not stand-ups. Mostly because the focus has gone to storyboard-driven rather than scripts, so they need people who can draw.
Last time I can remember a known stand-up comic being hired was Frank Conniff (aka TV's Frank on MST3K) being the head writer on Zim.

Tons of voice actors were comedians though, maybe most of them.

If what you're saying is true, then the reboot is doomed. Alt-comics people nowadays are highly annoying people who waste time on Twitter trying to out bantz Trump.

>do modern cartoons hire comedians?
Was this ever really the standard or was it just Animaniacs?

>Wait a minute, that's a chicken
Couldn't care less. the writing was shit. Only sat through it cause of lovable looney tunes design.

hope they get rid of the fucking puns

Odds are if Spielberg's overseeing it (he had a surprisingly large amount of influence and direct involvement in the original show, he had to personally approve every script and storyboard) he'll insist on it being done the same way as the original, which means scripts. So they'll probably hire comedy writers (the kind that write live-action shows and such, not performers) rather than comics people.
In recent memory the biggest script-driven show for kids was Gravity Falls, and it was mostly done that way because the plotting and dialogue was more important than average and its comedy is highly influenced and reminiscent of The Simpsons in tone (almost ALL adult cartoons are still script-driven, with very few exceptions).
Since Chowder and Flapjack, board-driven has been the norm throughout the kids' industry.
Most of the Animaniacs team worked on all the other Amblin/Warner shows of the era so it extends to those as well. Was never a standard though, in the 60s-80s the writers were hacky family sitcom types and before that (theatrical shorts) they were director/board-driven. Ren & Stimpy was the first modern board-driven show because John K was basing it off Bob Clampett's methods, and it got brought over to Spongebob (which the creator of Chowder worked on)

>gee I hope this comedy cartoon doesn't have any jokes or writing
waifufagging over toddlers LMAO

Un-fucking-believable. If ANYTHING was deserving of Sup Forums's rage is this, but this thread is languishing. Last night the board was buzzing about yesterday's news, but today? Meh, "the writing was shit, I never cared much for Animaniacs". Fuck you with a rusty 12-inch nail, you humorless faggots. Animaniacs is seen as classic animation by virtually everyone else in your generation, but you elitist cunts can't even rally together to show WB what an awful idea this is. Fuck you, and fuck the shills who will read this thread and report back to their bosses that "everything's fine, they WANT new writers!".

>inb4 imagine being this triggered
>inb4 imagine being this autistic
>inb4 bullshit

Fuck you.

imagine being this autistically triggered by bullshit

Finally someone gives a shit

I feel like this is ageism

Cant wait for everyone to be pissed it sucks after it's too late to put the pressure on Hulu

Don't worry, it'll come biting them in the ass once the reboot gets constantly posted in Sup Forums as the worst thing to ever exist since nuPPG. Deep down, they want this so they can later turn the reboot into a living hate meme while proclaiming the original was the best thing since sliced cheese.

Someone screen cap this thread.

It's just not all that funny

Quit whining, you're not going to get shit done unless you unsubscribe to Hulu, if you even have one. If you want to get at a company, you go after them through their wallets, not through online surveys or virtual picket lines.

Online Petition?

>Looney Tunes design
Don't trigger John K

So the red flags are finally up?

Hearing a rumor that the guy they put in charge is still in high school, can any one confirm?

>Animaniacs reboot not hiring old writers

big ass red flag

youtube.com/watch?v=Bwi96ZRtc_8

1:56
>(Yakko, Wakko, and Dot are at the mall shopping for a birthday present for Dr. Scratchandsniff. As they ride an escalator to the top floor they pass several uniquely named clothing stores)
>Wakko: So what are we gonna get Dr. Scratchy?
>Dot: Oooh! How about an outfit from Oedipus Rex Menswear?
>Yakko: Nah, his mom would hate those.
>Wakko: Look! Freudian slips!
>Yakko: Uh-uh. He makes his own!

2:47
>(the Warners run into a store named "Just Hangers" and Yakko picks up a hanger)
Yakko: I know. How about we get Scratchy a birthday suit?

3:07
>They enter a perfume store, "Fifi La Fume's"
>Dot: Do you think Scratchy'd like some cologne?
>(Fifi enters the scene holding various colognes for them to sample, while sexy music plays)
>Fifi: We have "Obssession", "Repression", and "Ecstasy".
>Dot: (innocently) Do you have anything for beginners?

4:01
>Dot: (picks up a music box) How about this for scratchy? It plays Bach.
>Wakko: Yeah, but does it play forward?

Look, I get it. Opinions are like assholes; we all have one. And to screech about someone else's opinion being different from yours is simply autistic.

Except in this case.

Because some opinions are wrong, user. W-R-O-N-G. Objectively bad. And if nothing in the above episode makes you laugh, well, it may be time to stop posting.

Do guest apperances by wierd al count? Even then mlp is the only one in recent memory.

No they don't.

Of all clips I'm surprised you went with that one.

sorry i fucked up
youtu.be/CG9-SCVc-E0

Meh

Too easy. Everyone's seen the innuendo video, so I wanted to highlight an episode an Animaniacs hater might not have seen.

I would've probably gone with King Yakko or Drivie Insane where Dot is playing with that fat woman's chins and shit

>"Would ya like to take a survey?!"

youtube.com/watch?v=xmlmBmgo6T4

Do you eat beans?

I still lose my shit laughing at this.

>Alouette?
>Alouette.
>Oohhhh.

Do you like movies starring George Wendt?

Do you like movies about George Wendt eating beans?

From the thumbnail I was expecting a thread of /poltv/ sperging out.

Then no.

>some people find the reboot fun and enjoyable
Of course they're going to politicize it.

Weird Al is voicing the main character in a new disney cartoon.

i agree with you F this vocal minority the craps on this show because John K dose

Do you eat beans while watching George Wendt movies?

Hey guys, if Disney bought Fox and Fox owns Hulu and Hulu just made a deal with Warner Brothers to create Animaniacs... does Disney now own the Warner Brothers and their sister Dot?

>so they need people who can draw.

And they still haven't found any.

I'm sure they'll outsource

Who drew this pic they keep using in articles for it? Is it new art for the new show or fan art or what? Never seen it in my life...

> Writers talking about dead friends who didn't get to live to see their dream of a reboot happen

Didn't know that about Frank. Interesting.

Hold on Dots topless all the time?

Fox owned 30%, Comcast owns 30% and Disney owns 30%(and Fox's share when the merger goes through) TimeWarner owns 10%. Hulu is a joint venture between the four companies. Whatever they own is theirs but each hold a stake in Hulu as a whole.

So no, Disney doesn't own WB or their characters, they just partially own the house the content lives in.

That's so fucking complicated, but interesting I guess

I loved Animaniacs as a kid.

But I think the problem with the perceived lack of a reaction is that we've become so inured to reboots and revivals of 80s/90s properties that it's hardly the shock that we're desensitized past its initial announcement. "They're making new Animaniacs episodes? Huh. Didn't expect that. Oh well."

The fact that some reboots, like the new Powerpuff Girls reboot, have fallen flat on their face just lead to a general cynicism about the whole ordeal. By the time the new Animaniacs comes to Hulu, most people will have gotten over it and other reboots like it I'm sure.

The only reboot that was any worth was the Hey Arnold: Movie, and it was just a movie and not a full blown series. But that is the only reboot/revival that actually worked and seemed to do its best to quell the fans fears of it being terrible. They got their writers and directors back, they kept the tone of the movie on par with the old show and got many of the original voice actors back.

Other reboots, not so much. The Hey Arnold crew tried, I'm just not sure. This doesn't fill me with any hope.

>The only reboot that was any worth was the Hey Arnold: Movie
The word reboot has slowly been losing its original intended meaning over the years, but this has to be farthest I've seen it taken. Sorry to be a sperg about this, but no, Hey Arnold: Jungle Movie wasn't a reboot. A reboot implies a restart, but it was a continuation of a storyline from the series, with the exact same continuity and everything.

Reboot =/= remake =/= continuation

Fine then, it's nostalgia-bait, that should be the ultimate term for these revived shows. Should have been more clear with what HA was, my apologies.

But, unfortunately this shit has become stale as fuck and the only reason these companies want it back it to get both their core demographic of children and the 18-24 demographic that used to watch the shows when they were children demographic.

I'm not a fan of the nostalgia bait anymore as a whole. When they are successful, good on them. But just digging into the past to plot the future and wasting resources and time on this nostalgia is honestly just depressing. There are talented people with gorgeous projects under their wing, but they will never see the light of day on any format, whether it be cable or web series, because so many content distributers would rather jack off to an old show they just repainted with new paint and threw on some glitter to make it shiny.

Most of it has either been utterly disastrous, like nu-ppg, quietly been cancelled like Girl Meets World or forgotten, like Netflix's Magic Schoolbus.

Well damn

>But just digging into the past to plot the future and wasting resources and time on this nostalgia is honestly just depressing.
One level I agree, but on another I wish they actually WOULD dig into the past rather than just pretend that's what with they're doing with shows like NuPPG and NuDuckTales. It's obvious to anyone that those shows are banking on their names only and don't really care what their original audience wants to see. HA, as you noted, did its best to quell fan fears, which is why it succeeded while these others are failing.

>Girl Meets World
I wasn't the biggest fan, but I was happy existed and felt fortunate and blessed to have been able to see William Daniels play Mr. Feeney one last time. I'll never forgive Disney for cancelling it.

>2020

Haha that's not a real year
I'm so old...

Nate Ruegger's twitter

twitter.com/NateRuegger/status/949116994334343168

Tom Ruegger just retweeted this
twitter.com/APCole90/status/949163642653585408