Memeing aside, what are the harms that a school like CalArts poses on the art and animation industry broadly?

Memeing aside, what are the harms that a school like CalArts poses on the art and animation industry broadly?

Other urls found in this thread:

johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/04/cal-arts-1-apology-to-students.html
youtube.com/watch?v=85V7aqcwJ3Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

only memes allowed here

>purple
>primary colors

CalArts style fucking sucks but you can't honestly be retarded enough to think purple is a goddamn primary color.

It creates a sirt of talent monopoly, where the same techniques are taught to students ad infinitum.

You can say a lot of things about Sugar, but at least she actively sought to combat this by hiring artists outside of Cali.

Yeah, I notice this. I feel like, every year, I'm seeing more people asking about how do they get into CalArts so they can go into animation, while so many of the people they ask are self-taught or attended schools like RISD or SVA.

Nothing serious

Sup Forums just slapped the noodle arms style, some style that's been around since fleischer and mickey mouse style because it's easy

I highly doubt CalArts does any active harm to the industry.
If TV animation is becoming increasingly uniform, blame the studios.

None. Students are given an opportunity to learn industry standard tools and placed in an environment to excel. Them and their baggage are the only things that can hurt the industry, a school can't.

there's plenty of damage an institution like calarts creates. Back in the day they created some great artists and showrunners like Genndy, Mcracken and the like, but back then they taught fundaments of good drawing and really hammered that into the students habits.

Nowdays, it's just some wishy washy place that doesn't even teach upcoming generations the basic foundations for drawing, or even how to improve. So instead there's a slew of kids that come out of that school that everyone in the industry isn't too keen to hire because they can't do basic stuff, and are generally a bunch of lazy slackers who get by on the calarts name alone. Which in turn means we get shitty show runners like Nefcy who doesn't actually do anything on her own show, she's just a figure-head.

>Said the guy that never went 1000 km of distance from the place and knows nothing about the classes there.

Even actual calarts students are starting to call out how shitty the curriculum is

who?

>doesn't even teach upcoming generations the basic foundations for drawing, or even how to improve
Gonna need a source there.
Especially since the "industry isn't too keen to hire them" part is obviously false.

Stop blaming Calarts. Be more worried about all the crappy schools out there offering animation courses only for their student to never find work and fall into debt because they don't know shit.

Tooo bloody expensive for low tier education

He's full of shit. Even John K. knows better and he despises Calarts:
johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/04/cal-arts-1-apology-to-students.html

>Gonna need a source there.

They’re marxist shit holes

Look at any accepted calarts student's accepted portfolio (especially their sketchbook) and you'd understand that they need some sort of grasp of fundies to get in you mong

>johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/04/cal-arts-1-apology-to-students.html
I rest my case, thank you for proving my point.

plus anything that comes out of John K can be taken with a couple of fistfulls of salt. The guy is the epitome of hubris

>Slade School of London

The Virgin Grey Beard Professor vs. the Chad Author

>Look at any accepted calarts student's accepted portfolio (especially their sketchbook) and you'd understand that they need some sort of grasp of fundies to get in you mong

And what is the problem with the rejected?

Art Istitute does not harm an industry, only the students. No one is going to hire them and they are just left in debt.

But this is not Calarts, its literaly other school in other continent.

>complain about animation
>post work from fine arts students

>in the very next paragraph of the book, he says the situation has gotten better since then

Dude calarts kids are overworked to hell. We've had multiple people have to drop out or take gap years because of health reasons from overwork. I'm not even saying this to save face. Calling them lazy is dumb as hell.
>Nowdays, it's just some wishy washy place that doesn't even teach upcoming generations the basic foundations for drawing, or even how to improve.
I feel like the only person this could even apply to is Rory since they're the only person that anyone actually even knows about from Calarts that hasn't improved at all. Plenty of teachers here have a reputation of tearing people to shreds and outright telling them to do something else.

I really dont know how is the deal with Sup Forums and the stupid shit that they say about the industry, that looks absurd to anyone who ever worked there. Any time someone show up to complain about "Calarts" art style its the same baseless thing, the most ridiculous is that the shows mentioned as having Calart style mostly come from people who graduated in other schools.

It all seems just like a stupid spacegoat for people to put all of their frustrations with the current cartoons in a random target, instead of focusing on the ACTUAL people who are at fault. To begin with, most of the shit today, including lazy art styles, come from executives trying to cut budget.

SCAD like to take pride in how they overwork their students to the point of exhaustion and health problems. It's fucking weird

Most either don't have the fluidity that lends itself to animation and would probably have a better chance with an illustration program or enough drawings from life. A lot of rejected portfolios are really nice but can't get in due to space or their artist's statement not leaving enough of an impact

Yeah I've heard some fucked up shit coming out of SCAD. I doubt the people on Sup Forums that complain about shit don't even go to any of these places to begin with.

Anyone dissing CalArts has the right anger, but are way off base. The anger should be directed at the studios for pushing visually uninteresting, easy to animate styles.

wait what about tartakovsky?

>spacegoat
Ha!

I wonder if channels like CN, which is overall doing badly in terms of ratings, can even afford to take a risk and push something original and expensive.

Even if they had the means, they'd just play it safe with the simple stuff. The only hope for anything big and original is to wait for original programming from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and the like to over mainstream animation.
an even then I wouldn't hold my breath

This. It’s the network execs fault for wanting shows to have a similar look.

Everyone with half a brain should know this already, with so many show bibles, pilots and even personal drawings of the creators looking radicaly different, but becoming similar once the show is greenlighted.

Calarts

pretty sure this guy posts just to piss people off as much as possible,

Half the comments are bragging about how they are in Calarts so they are a "REAL" artist and joking about how anyone who does not love it are too poor and untalented to get in.

Well animation price in pajeet land can range from 1026-2370 $ per minute this depends on detail of the show.

its just jews giving their family members extremely high credentials even though they don't deserve them.
this is why hitler existed

>Half the comments are bragging about how they are in Calarts so they are a "REAL" artist and joking about how anyone who does not love it are too poor and untalented to get in.
"Ha! I was able to incur tens of thousands of dollars of debt because mommy and daddy will cover the costs! Clearly that makes me a superior artist and person!"

This. The danger of a school like Calarts is that it establishes an Old Boys Network that gets people hired because of who they know rather than what they can do. Sugar was from The School of Fine Arts in NY so she didn't feel any loyalty to CalArts people. Its like how every US Supreme Court Justice was educated at an Ivy League School. There is nothing special they're teaching at those schools, it just they get you in the door to other places.

Oh boy, you haven't seen the School of Visual Arts Rebecca Sugar wanna be's

I fucking hate it. Remember the complex facial performances of Warner?

It's not just there, SCAD has a few senior films in the last two years tat completely imitate the steven universe style

CalArts: Paying your way to Greatness. All other can blow lasseter

I'm a SCAD student studying 3D and yes, I am familiar with the pettyness of the 2D thesis films here.

Did you see the werewolf one that is basically a Steven Universe fanfiction piece?

its horrible.

Is that even human?

I haven't seen it. How bad is it?

>gay werewolf
This has Tumblr written all over it.

this cant be fucking real

It doesn't look that bad.
I was expecting something like youtube.com/watch?v=85V7aqcwJ3Y

You don't have to hide them, they're already pretty well-known for their trans boy Captain America art and now

>5 months apart
Jesus Christ, if my art style turned into that in half a goddamn year I'd put the pencil down and go into fucking fruit retail. That's embarrassing.

this can't be real? does he really think this is progress?

What an arrogant bitch. No animation student I know would dare be that brash.
Is she even working? I hope not.

I wonder if she'll ever be able to find a job.
She's definitely talentless enough, but she still hasn't learned to conceal her ego with self-deprecation.

>Being at an overpriced school makes me a better person than you

How can they not see the blatant classism? I bet they also think Trump only cares about the rich and by voting Hillary they're super progressive.

>2D animation
>working

top kek

Nah, you have to not only suck some mean dick, but also keep quiet about it. But those environments are perfect for making friends with other shitty narcissists.

>ctrl+f
>draftsmanship
>0/0 results
was right.

with an attitude like that, not for long. Animation is crazy easy to get oneself blacklisted from.

All cartoons still need designers, board artists, BG painters and compositors.

>there are 2D boarded versions of every 3D movie out there, and they are not for normies

>basically a steve universe fanfiction piece
>doesnt look like steven universe at all

Not enough spots though

THERES NO LINE WEIGHTS IN THE SECOND ONES AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>pay damn near $50,000 a year for your style to degrade into garbage
Christ on his polished porcelain throne.

How come the animation side of CalArts is so fucked up, but the music side isn't?

None. Cal Arts is an absolute good.

Sup Forums memes on the other hand...

They still have the old teachers and stuff

Nobody likes atonal wank. Only noise fans like noise. The animation side isn't even fucked, just the students. My guess is that they've done what they've done everywhere else and taken over through browbeating and an administration that wants rich bitch money.

That just looks like generic anime style not Sugar style