Hey Arnold

Is there a more comfy setting than the city of Hillwood?

Other urls found in this thread:

kerenitychan.deviantart.com/gallery/64994430/hi-Helga
kerenitychan.deviantart.com/art/The-Poetry-Tutor-724203458
youtube.com/watch?v=y-AA8DjQzcw
youtube.com/watch?v=G09l2WVwWxM
youtube.com/watch?v=wv1i2JqPrwc
zeenews.india.com/entertainment/idiotbox/eminems-new-obsession-kids-tv-show-hey-arnold_31212.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CRx64mSX9Mk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>setting is an impoverished, filthy ghetto
Yeah, so comfy, OP.

>screams of people getting shot

Danville.

it struck me more as a dense old urban neighborhood, pre-gentrification. i think in an interview with Nick, Bartlett said his intention was for Arnold's neighborhood to be a more forgotten neighborhood (hence it sits under a freeway), as opposed to a ghetto

I like to think that Hillwood is like an alternate universe city where the awful planning and "urban renewal" policies that were all the rage in the postwar era never happened so stuff like white flight and suburban sprawl didn't occur there.

I'd like to think so too, but some of those policies have occurred in Arnold's world, considering his apartment building sits under a freeway that was a big component of mid-20th century urban renewal projects. However, his neighborhood seems to be far less harmed by that than other cities I've lived and worked in so maybe it's kinda different in a way.

If they do bring back the show, like they've been talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if they had an episode relating to modern urban trends like hipsters and the affordability of housing in American cities. I'd seem in character for a more serious show like Hey Arnold.

it wasnt that bad. monkey man stopped all the crime

Wasn't there an episode where Arnold got mugged?

Yes

>pre-gentrification
Yeah we call those "shit-holes," user.

so thanks to The Jungle Movie one of my favorite artists started drawing a lot(and I mean a LOT considering it was only about a month and a half ago since that came out) of really good Hey Arnold fanart, too tired & lazy to dump it all right now

this piece is pretty much described as "help, my girlfriend hit puberty before me, i need an adult" and it's a pretty apt one

link to the rest of her stuff; kerenitychan.deviantart.com/gallery/64994430/hi-Helga

and a link to the one HA pic she's done that hasn't been put in the above folder yet; kerenitychan.deviantart.com/art/The-Poetry-Tutor-724203458

Hillwood? I figured it was part of New York.

This looks like utter fucking garbage, how can anyone like this crap

youtube.com/watch?v=y-AA8DjQzcw

uh someone has an opinion they dont agree with

yes, and then arnold increased his power level so high, he almost killed the mugger. but it was scary at first

What is up with those glass things on the roofs in America?
Are you guys not scared living with those things?

I could have fucking sworn this was set in NYC

this looks like a very sexy rape scene

Shut up, Helga. Take your fantasies somewhere else.

you jealous of his room?

"you keep da money"
is there an easier quote to get stuck in your head?

The show was comfy as fuck, despite being set in a major city and having a somewhat melancholy feel to much of it. This room summed that up perfectly. It was perfect and the coolest shit ever in the 90s, but it never made up to Arnold what he lacked, which was his parents.

The fictional city of Hillwood was a mash-up of Seattle, Portland, and pre-gentrification Brooklyn, all cities that Craig Bartlett had lived in over the course of his life.

Well in Arnold's case he built his room under there but in real life those are skylights, a necessity for any room that is in the interior of a building and so doesn't have any exposure to the outside via windows.

arlen tx

I didn't realise how crazily consistent they were until just now. Jesus. It occurs to me looking at this that there was definitely a high level of cohesion to all of it, and a lot of the buildings that reoccurred didn't have design shifts or changes or anything.

Maybe they built one or two urban freeways but never established the sort of zoning and building codes that really wrecked urban planning post-war, plus maybe the FHA never established redlining in this universe.

I remember visiting Philaldelphia and wondering what the absolute fuck they were thinking cutting the riverfront off from the city with a giant motorway. As a foreigner it truly staggered me to see such incredible town planning incompetence.

Speaking of, is there some American law that requires buildings to have exterior fire escapes? It's always seemed to me to a peculiarly American thing and i've always seen it in cartoons going back decades.

Urban planning in the postwar era basically boiled down to "everyone's going to live in the suburbs and the city centre will just be offices, so we need to build massive freeways everywhere to facilitate everyone driving from the suburbs to the city and back again every day, and who cares about what that does to the rest of the city?". I don't know about the fire escapes thing, I think it was just to maximise internal space in the buildings.

>that episode where Helga exiled her sister to Alaska

Who was in the wrong here?

who was in the wrong here?

>calls her an ugly, fat, big idiot
>gets off with a fake beating

Helga got off lightly that time.

I always thought it was some sort of copy of the Bronx and there's nothing comfy about it.

Nah too much of a generic white suburb.

I always imagined that room was noisy as shit with the highway being so close.

It's the Bronx if the Bronx existed in a world with good race relations.

was it a southpark reference?

youtube.com/watch?v=G09l2WVwWxM

I'd find it quite comfy.

youtube.com/watch?v=wv1i2JqPrwc

The city always felt like an actual organic, living and breathing entity. I don't think it'd ever be possible to have a slice-of-life children's cartoon like this ever again. It's such a product of its time.

>its a Harold episode

>it's a Helga breaks into Arnold's house and hides in his closet episode

and she watched him get changed

zeenews.india.com/entertainment/idiotbox/eminems-new-obsession-kids-tv-show-hey-arnold_31212.html

>London, May 28: Eminem has found a new way to battle and replace his prescription drug addiction for the rapper is now hooked on to kids’ TV show Hey Arnold.

>“I’m not going to lie, I love that show, man,” he added.

the shape of his head comes from his mom, then?

yea and his blonde hair comes from his dad

>it's a Helga has a schizophrenia episode episode

>it's every episode

I wonder what shape her pussy is, right?

>its a Tarintino directed episode

comfy....that place looks like 90s New York, except less litter and druggies and homeless people.

>it's an Olga episode

There was still a bunch of litter, druggies, and homeless people. The biggest stretch on my suspension of disbelief while watching is how much autonomy those kids had as 9 year olds in the inner city.

>how much autonomy those kids had as 9 year olds in the inner city.

Even as a 9-10 year old in inner London during the early 2000s I was walking around, taking public buses and doing stuff. The fear and coddling of children wasn't quite as bad then. It's become terrible in the past 15 years or so.

>its a school shooting metaphor episode

Oh yes.

>its a holocaust metaphor episode

>it's an attempted murder episode

>it's my favorite episode

>it's a disabled person suffers from social isolation episode

Its the music that makes it comfy. Theres no chill soundtrack playing if you actually live there while you're getting mugged, or beaten up by some lunatic that just learned he could leave his stoop

>it's an Arnold fails to recognise Helga despite being in the same exact restaurant, in the same seat and saying the exact same fake-French phrases episode

There might just be something wrong with me, but I really like the setting of Invader Zim.
Despite it being downright dystopian it feels somewhat cozy. The red sky during the day and the great lighting and shading at night make it one of my favorite cities in any cartoon I've ever seen.

faggot

Does anyone know any jazz artists that sound like Jim Lang?

yea its an a amazing setting

That's an edited image, unfortunately.

Is it jazz or big band? Because I once found this and it kinda gave me a Lang vibe: youtube.com/watch?v=CRx64mSX9Mk

I don't think it's big band. Bits of acid jazz give off the feel of the soundtrack, haven't looked into it much.

Brecker Brothers sound pretty similar

yeah some buildings burnt mandatory, famous one was a textile factory and they had fire escapes but were chained shut so workers couldn't hide out their and take breaks bunch of women died

it supposed to be a seattle type place

The Bronx used to be like that. Tons of Whites, Jews, Blacks, Latinos, etc used to live in the same communities. The Bronx got fucked hard in the 20th century, and most of the moderately wealthy whites and Jews moved to Westchester County when cheap land with green space became available.

That's my favourite too. It's the first time their connection becomes clear

>its an Arnold tried to bang his teacher episode

>Yeah we call those "shit-holes," user.
Nope. My neighborhood was pretty quiet before it got gentrified. Now there's a fucking LA Fitness and Walmart and expensive eateries everywhere and fucking $2,000 a month apartment complexes where houses used to be.

Is that the one that ends with her falling into his room in the middle of a party, then she just walks out without anyone commenting?

The episode you're thinking of is "Helga Blabs It All." The one where she hides in his closet is "The Little Pink Book", I believe.

I hate this faggot so much

You get used to it.

You can shit on SU anytime you want but Beach City is pretty comfy.

She breaks in on literally five different occasions.

EHEHEHEHEHEH

I want to protect Helga.

Me, too.

Wasn't there supposed to be a cut character that was an adult that wanted to bang Arnold, or am I just... imagining it?

Probably both.

Christ. Even the new movie lines up with that map.

Nah, glass roof in summer is the worst you can have.

What did people think of the movie's artstyle anyway?