Samurai Jack

Come on Sup Forums we're in 2018 already. Can't we get a proper verdict about season 5?

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Samurai-Jack/Issue-20?id=2823
youtu.be/CBJZwYpHUBo
fanfiction.net/s/12557068/17/The-Actions-That-Follow
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It sucked.
Ask me again in 10 years and I'll say the same thing.

I think it worked right up until the final episode, where it suddenly not only didn't end but retroactively made earlier things stop working.

Keep it exactly the way it was, but remove the final episode and replace it with a 3 episode finale that builds into things and you'd have been fine.

All there had to be was an epilogue showing everyone Jack met in the future living happy Aku-less lives but instead we get a "Jack is sad because he lost his waifu" scene with a tree, making him look like a self-rightous asshole.

Stop making this thread.
For months and months, it’s always been “can we get a verdict” or “now that the dust has settled” or some variation thereof. You’ll get the same answers you’ve always gotten.

Before the finale even happened I always had a vague fanficy idea in my head about the finale. I thought 'It can't just end with Jack defeating Aku in a climactic battle then going back in time and offing past Aku as an afterthought. Cinematically that's just really clunky and awkward'.

But they actually one upped me, and didn't even have Jack really beat Aku in the future either. It was just a dull note on either end.

Instead I wish Jack and Aku's crazy final battle had spilled directly into the past and seen past/future Aku merge into one big crazy ridiculous opponent

Ashi should have dead when Jack threw her off the cliff

We already reached a verdict.

>tfw you never got into Samurai Jack as a kid so don't give a shit about hamfisted nostalgiagrabs
>tfw you will never share an entire anonymous online Sri Lankan macrame forum's pain

Have your own opinions nigga.
I liked it but if something like what
Said, i would have liked it even more

It was wasted potential past episode 3 and I'll never trust Genndy again.

seriously what the fuck happened
episode 1 to 3 where absolute kino and then it just kept dwindling down from there

> tfw you've neatly rationalized being a circumstantial outsider as an accomplishment

Feels good pham; now a final personal push so you don't need to loudly broadcast it in threads that you're literally claiming you're not interested in and you're GOLDEN for a life of blissful if solitary moral superiority

I'm the same with Star Wars, but what are you trying to prove coming here?

Sup Forums hated it and then got totally btfo'd when it won a ton of awards

I liked it even though I still think that Gennedy should have gone the extra mile and done 24~25 episodes. End result would have been a much better paced, far more satisfying conclusion to a much awaited childhood finale.

While there was a massive division because so many disliked the romanced at the same time as many liked it... and while pretty much all of us hated the ending itself...

I think we can all agree that we would never give up having watched season 5 together.

Some things I could let go because they were visibly pressed for time, but nothing can redeem that terrible final episode.

Didn't even get a proper rematch against Aku

If you grew up with this show and were a fan you will love it. It's easily 8/10 except for the rushed ending, which was still bittersweet.
If you are fag? Then no.

I just forget the last episode happened and accepted the comic as headcanon ft. Ashi and Ghost Scotsman.

Forgot link: readcomiconline.to/Comic/Samurai-Jack/Issue-20?id=2823

For what's it worth I just stick to the comic and pretend it is canon.
A much better conclusion.

This.

I can accept Ashi but it's bullshit that this new character took spotlight from existing ones just to die and make us feel bad about it.

> if you grew up with the original and you're therefore pushing 40 you will love this show about an old dude getting a teenage girlfriend

Shocker

The ending was inexcusably sloppy. The rest, when not too Jashi-heavy, delivered on the same things SJ always delivered on.
In short, good as a whole, with bad bad parts in the middle.

This would have been much better, the finale was so horribly rushed.

This show is from the early 2000s, most kids that watched this are in their late teens or early 20s. Try again faggot.

I loved it, grew up watching the show, and was very satisfied, especially with the first three episodes.

My primary criticism would be the final episode was rushed.

I don't have any problems with Ashi. I don't care if she's a plot device or if her romance with Jack was a bit rushed.

He deserves a little happiness

I have my own ending to worry about

it was fucking rushed as hell and sucked because of it.

Aku was mishandled. I understand that dealing with replacing the voice actor (RIP Mako) was hard, and they almost parried the problem by having Aku mostly act silly but they blew their wad on him getting serious and fighting way, way too early in a scene designed just to bring the Scotsman back as we know him, only for him not to do much of anything in the end anyway.

Aku should have been all-silly-all-the-time until the final battle when he finally gets angry enough and demonstrates why he's a tangible form of evil and only Jack's magic sword can hurt him.

It was good. Could have used more episodes to buffer out the Ashi romance if it had to happen, and handled the finale better (if they had to stick with the current one at least show some scenes of people from Jack's adventures in an Aku free future or maybe the gods cutting Jack a fucking break for once after all the shit he went through)

It was trash.

That finale was so rushed ffs but still would give 8/10 overall because the first episodes were kino

>The final issue of the IDW comic has a really sweet message about how the past must be left behind to create a better tomorrow
>Jack leads an army of all the people he's helped over the years to overthrow Aku and his hoards
>We don't actually see what happens because in Samurai Jack the journey was always more important than the destination

I think reading the comic first may have ruined the season 5 for me. I just think its ending is so much more appropriate and true to Samurai Jack. Season 5 almost feels like fan fiction in comparison, especially in regards to Ashi.

Gave us some nice memes, at least.

Looks like some people have the right idea

It was unironically good it just had HORRIBLE pacing issues from episode 4 till the end. For a 10 episode season 4.5 episodes were devoted pretty much entirely to the development of JackXAishi which I didnt mind as a pairing but took up way too much damn time.

For example they LITERALLY spend more time on the spaceshit battle with the slime thing that ends with them kissing than BOTH battles with aku and the epilogue all combined. If they would have taken away maybe 1 of the middle episodes to give more time to the ending it would have been enormously better

started off strong

Went to shit when jack got his sword back by meditating, which somehow also gave him his robe back, gave him a shave, and tied his hair up

Concerning Jack leaving all of the people he knew in the future and going back to the past: I think it was the right decision. Jack is a proud samurai and the heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne. Based on his morals, his countrymen would mean more to him than anything else.
Concerning Jack's and Ashi's relationship: I thought it was all right, but I personally would have preferred if it was a father-daughter type of relationship instead. The wedding scene being a straight up parody/homage/rip-off to a ten year old anime angers me to no end. It's not bad to have some anime references, but when this huge, final climactic scene of this cartoon that is over ten years in the making ends in such an obvious reference, it's really stupid.
Overall, I enjoyed the season and the show all around.

THIC THIC THIC

Gennedy is the Stanley Kubrick of animation; obsessed with set pieces and imagery with him only focusing on writing later. Even if you look at old episodes of Dexter's Lab, most of them revolved around slow-moving set pieces and imagery that make up most of the episode. Just compare those to stuff like Powerpuff Girls that focused much more on the writing and having a faster pace.

Jack commited one of the greatest genocides in cartoon history. millions, billion, possibly trillions were prevented from existing.

The worst thing is, even if we has going back it could have just been shown how there are now two timestreams.

outside of pacing issues i thought it was great. most of the complaints i've heard seem to come from people who never saw the show in it's original run.

Pretty good until the ending.

still love ashi
still love the show
hated the ending

If Aku represents pure evil (hence "aku"), how can Ashi purify herself of that influence but have "Aku powers"?

Felt rushed.

I was expecting a slow closure with Jack and his friends from the future but nah, also not a whole lot of those action panels that make the backgrounds' artist job easier last season.

Am going to rewatch it again soon, and see if it follows the sushi rule. As in, since i dont really know what to think, didnt love or hate it.

It starts as uncertian. Second try, you start to like it, and third time you love it.

It was so for me with Driver, Blade Runner and Brazil too.

Many trillions of more people are going to live because Aku won't spread his grasp throughout the Earth.

It was shit.

The same thing happened when Germany was defeated in WWII. All those great anti-Nazi rebels that could have existed didn't simply because of the selfish actions of the Americans.

It was lackluster

My guess is that two or even three episodes were cut off. If we had two more episodes the finale could've been wrapped up properly. I wouldn't have minded the filler, in fact, if I never knew how many episodes there were I would've enjoyed the filler, but because from the start I knew there were ten I felt the pressure to see the plot progress and it wasn't catching up.

What really pisses me off about it after rewatching the first 4 seasons after, is that Jack had a lot of opportunities to return to the past that he ignored to save people just in case it didn't work.

Then in the finale he doesn't even stop to think what would happen if Ashi sent them to the wrong time period or something, he just goes with it. Its a slap in the face to all the other times Jack could have just returned to the past.

Not to mention the fact that I can't see one person who either A) Didn't like the Scottsman or B) Not like Jack and the Scottsman's interactions, and yet all we get is barely a minute of talking between the best duo ever.

It has a lot of problems, and it was rushed. Genndy should have ended it a lot differently over a few more episodes.

>gotta get back, back to the past
>He actually does
It was a subversion desu

>all we get is barely a minute of talking between the best duo ever
Better still, talking about fucking Ashi of all things.

When Ashi's not around, the other characters should be saying "What's Ashi?"

I liked it, but it needed another episode or two.

I can't believe Jack actually went back to the past and defeats Aku
IN THE MOST ANTICLIMACTIC WAY POSSIBLE
>okay so how does jack get back to the past
>Ashi gets aku powers or something I dunno
Not even a final clash between Jack and Aku. NOT. EVEN. THAT.

Every fight between Jack and Aku was an anticlimax because Jack's strength and his sword utterly annihilates Aku. The only reason Aku survives is plot-contrivance.

This. I don't get how anyone would get the impression that the writing was the strong point in SJ.

>doesn't even stop to think what would happen if Ashi sent them to the wrong time period or something
He didn't exactly have a chance or choice in the matter.

It was mediocre but I suppose it was better than no ending.

>show from the early 2000s that's loved because of its visuals and action
>show comes back in 2017 in a time with no good western action shows, and has better visuals and action than the original run
>Sup Forums hates it

>Sup Forums talking shit about based season five
But why?

Deus ex thot ruined it.

>Sup Forums hates it
Did you really expect anything less?

This better be amazing. Don't fuck with me user.

Is that fucking Mavis Daughterfu from Hotel Transylvania as his reference?
youtu.be/CBJZwYpHUBo

>his reference
you dumb piece of shit

>tfw I will never forget the user who drew a chocolate semon demon in less than 15 seconds.

Fuck it, I'm posting this here too
fanfiction.net/s/12557068/17/The-Actions-That-Follow

Well everyone did die fighting aki in the first place.

Gimme a mail. I'll send yo a reminder.