Who are your favorite currently active comic book writers?

Is there any writer working now you think we will look back at with the same reverence we do for Alan Moore and Frank Miller?

Morrison counts?
Tom King, unfortunately
Jason Aaron

>Tom King
>Spoiler
Not a chance in hell.

Those russian kids are srupid but those shots are gorgeous.

I personally look reverently upon the active contemporary creators Hernandez, Ware, Clowes, Graham, Hernandez and Telgemeier.

Mike Mignola.

THIS

King, Buseik,Lamire and snyder

Mark Russell is probably the only non-indie writer whose comics I'll read just for him.

I like Waid and Cucka. But there is no way they stand and the top with Moore and MOrrison. Probably Mignola.

In the independent side, Hernandez brothers, Lemire and McCloud.

Tom King and Robbie Thompson

Yeah.
Also Tom Scioli
And almost against my will, Morrison.

Been enjoying King's batman run
Always look forward to anything Warren Ellis does
Simon Hanselmann
Gilbert Hernandez

Morrison is my favorite writer, so...
Mignola
Ellis.

Does anyone seriously revere Miller as a writer? Or even consider him a good one?

Ennis

Jeff lemire for his work on green arrow, moon knight and old man Logan, and some stuff he did at valiant

And I had no idea who dan abnett was before reading titans rebirth but I really like his current run with Wally and the titans. Might look into what else he's done or keep a look out for anything else

Peter David for 2099 and scarlet spider

And Kyle Higgins for his mighty morphin power rangers run. Looking forward to the shattered grid event in a couple of months

>Jason Aaron
No

No way. Hellboy is good, but has a super overrated status.

Hickman.

Simonson

Geoff Johns has overtaken Moore now.

>overrated
meaningless critacism

Ignoring other old authors who are pretty much already revered:

Paco Roca
David B
Joann Sfar
Jeff lemire

Kek all these contrarians pretending to hate Tom King

Fuck you, Ronin and Hard Boiled are excellent.

>Jeff lemire for his work on green arrow, moon knight and old man Logan
All are mediocre at best. His only good work is his creator owned work.

I like Priest.

>Is there any writer working now you think we will look back at with the same reverence we do for Alan Moore and Frank Miller?
Hard to say, really. You'll notice reading this thread that you have a popularity contest going on with people mentioning either people who are *currently* hot, like Tom King, but who haven't been around nearly long enough to have shown any kind of staying power; and whoever was currently hot when they got into comics that they're presently nostalgiaFagging.

Someone like Mignola is like Dave Sim in that he's mostly going to be remembered for being successful outside of the mainstream; but I dunno how much actual impact he's had ON the mainstream, whereas you can literally look at mainstream comics before and after Dark Knight and Watchmen and see the ripples.

If you'd asked this a few years ago you'd have people screaming about Snyder's batman run but what, exactly, has carried over from that? Court of Owls?

Now look at someone like Bendis and his "decompressed" style of writing and look at how much that has come to dominate the current market; or Mark Millar and his "cinematic" style of, lets just call them what they are, movie pitches. Now, I'm pretty sure that neither of them will be looked back on with *reverence*, but that sort of impact and lasting influence is what you really need to be looking for.

I, personally, thought that the Matt Fraction/David Aja issues of Fraction's Hawkeye run were phenomenal ( and they got quite a bit of critical acclaim at the time ); but I haven't seen much carryover from that in either the art nor the writing of other books.

>Does anyone seriously revere Miller as a writer?
M8

It's always a little weird seeing people talk about Aaron here since I've actually met the guy, as in he was a bit of a family friend. My dad works for comicbooks

Gillen, Yang, Castallacci, Cates is gunn be guud

If Tom King goes back to a B/C/D list character and really puts himself out there, he'll easily be revered like Frank Miller was for Daredevil. Imagine if he'd been able to keep writing Dick Grayson for another few years. Or if he carried his work on Omega Men into another series or two.

Omega Men isn't good I don't understand the love for it whatsoever and I'm a Kylefag who always wanted him to deal with raw shit and actually thought of a similar story to put him through a while ago
the art is inconsistent, as is the characterization and kinda meandered for a bit and became predictable

Miller and Moore are revered for having numerous fantastic works under their belts. King only has Omega Men and Vision as of now and I highly doubt his Batman or Mister Miracle will be as highly praised. It doesn't matter if he writes A or C listers or for a set amount of time. He has to release several that are found to be above and beyond his contemporaries. Which I would find more likely if he produced more for Vertigo or moved to Image. That being said I could see him being as well regarded as Ennis, Ellis, Morrison and the like.

Loeb, Kelly and Millar are my favorite writers

Morrison's the only one who might get the amount of praise those two get. Not that every other good writer this era will suddenly be forgotten 10 years from now

That was cheesy garbage mixed with small bits of genius. I guess that's par for the course.

More so that Miller and Moore were pretty much the beginning of DC's mature titles and as such brought a large change to how people were writing comics. King is still just following what they did, a decade ago his comics would be all at Vertigo