Badass

Badass.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I would actually buy this horrible writing IF, and only IF, Frank had only Franked people as a soldier in the line of duty and IF the only people he ever Franked once he got back to the states were career gangsters and ONLY them.
An argument could be made at that point in that he's adopted the role of a form of justice in the absence of a non-corrupt system in his chosen State of residence until the system's paid off representatives were identified and removed, and real justice put back in its place.
The argument follows that as one man, Frank views himself as a more effective measure against organized crime that enjoys perks in the broken system over attempting to fix the system itself while others are harmed during the loooong span of time required.

Rant over. That's not the case because Frank fucked up and Franked non gang members in cold blood who were in a state of receiving real justice as well as injuring innocents time and again.
To be honest though, those points where he just wacked people in cold blood (2 villains offering to help Cap back in civil war) was just really shit writing too.

Johnny's stare sucks.

>I probably could shatter it with my bare hands

GUFFAW

The writer is retarded.

Have you ever handled a toy cap gun made out of pot metal or stamped sheet metal?
They aren't very durable.

This. The cheap metal cap guns from the 60's and early 70's were very brittle. You would mar and chip them just from dropping one from your big wheel while going down a hill.
A grown adult man could snap it in half with one hand and a brick wall or simply break it in half with both hands.

It gets better and look closer. It shoots no known caliber because it doesn't shoot anything, it's a snapgun. You can see the fucking roll of red explodey stuff spooling out behind the hammer.

Oh wait, I read the image closer and apparently it admits it's a toy gun, so it wasn't an artist fuck up. That being said I have no idea what the context is so it's still stupid.

it's a toy gun dummy

That isn't how the penitent stare works, though. It doesn't "Make you feel guilt". it explicitly makes you feel all the suffering you have caused, from the perspective of your victims. "All the pain, all for you".

I could actually see Frank resisting it though. Not because he's badass. Not because he has 'no regrets'. But because he's already in pain constantly, and he's numb to it. Just change his line to "That's Everyday."

Malarky. It's supposed to make you feel the pain you've caused on others, not the guilt you feel from killing.

Bad writing is bad.

>I have no idea what the context is so it's still stupid
No, that makes you stupid. As in literally ignorant. Which I don't understand because you're in a thread about the Punisher and the context should be clear as day.

I'll just use my Penance Stare and YAAAAARGH!!!

Step aside pleb

I guess this is payback for him being so OP in other incarnations

Reminder that Ghost Rider one shotted Galactus once with the Penance Stare: youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs

Jobrider vs. Frankie Sue

I swear every writer should have to take a test on every character they want to write for to stop shit like this from happening.

right, this

That's Dan, not Johnny.

90 GR was best GR.

>it explicitly makes you feel all the suffering you have caused, from the perspective of your victims. "All the pain, all for you".
If it's from the perspective of the victims then how are & resisting it? That makes no sense, if it was how they perceived pain then maybe, but it's how the victim perceives pain which should supersede any physical toughness and general pain tolerance they might have & instead put the strain solely their mental fortitude and their ability to work through great mental anguish, which might work for Frank but I don't see this other guy making it, nor what is essentially a very jealous and psychotic ex-gf like

Would it canonically work on Galactus being that he's essentially a force of cosmic nature?

>If it's from the perspective of the victims then how are & (OP) resisting it?

Because it's bad writing. There's really no explanation for it, it's just bad writing.

Ghost Rider should be staying in his corner anyway and not fucking with other continuities

I always thought of the Penance Stare as literally a beam version of Akuma's Shun Goku Satsu where your soul is damaged based on the weight of your sins. The more sins you have committed, the more powerful it becomes.

The idea from OP where it attacks you with guilt or using guilt is pointless as demons and sociopaths don't feel guilty for their actions.

Then again, I'm far and away NOT an expert on Ghost Rider so I know I could be wrong.

>Ghost Rider should be staying in his corner anyway and not fucking with other continuities
Isn't he supposed to be fighting demons and punishing street thugs and shit? Why is he fighting venom, that's spidey's job. Hell, even the shit with Frank, they both want to make these low level criminals pay, why are they fighting if they have the same damn goal?

Not necessarily. Shun Goku Satsu IS supposed to destroy the soul of the target based on the weight of their sins.

But guess who survived it?

EWhy the fuck would he even use the penance stare on Venom, when he can SHIT FIRE?

And yeah, Ghost Rider would be working WITH Punisher.

>The Penance Stare is a supernatural ability that incapacitate victims and is only performed by the Spirits of Vengeance or Ghost Rider. When in close combat, the Ghost Rider locks eyes with his opponent and induces self-mortification by imposing him or her every negative actions, behavior and sensation, from sins to the pain of others, that that individual has ever committed in their lifetime. Its effects are similar to the soul searing effect of hellfire. It can, however, backfire with certain individuals.

>It can only be used to avenge the innocent, and therefore can't affect someone trying to punish the guilty (such as Hulk against the Illuminati who were not innocent, thereby making the Hulk guiltless).[1]

>Recently, this ability can paralyze multiple individuals without locking into their eyes but still causing great sorrow.

>When used on Mr. Hyde, it triggers his transformation back into Calvin Zabo, though Mr. Hyde flees before it can take full effect.[2]
>When used on The Punisher it didn't work as the Punisher has no guilt for the work he does and has done. And the Punisher primarily kills criminals who are far from innocent.[citation needed]
>When used on Venom he proved to be immune, due to the symbiote.[citation needed]
>When used on Deadpool, it showed him a "highlight reel" of the events that lead him to him becoming what he was and turned the Ghost Rider back into Johnny Blaze. Which shows that Deadpool's greatest victim is himself.

Couldn't that be chalked up to psycho power shenanigans?

tl;dr, it didn't work on frank because the universe/god/hell/whatever, doesn't actually think Frank is guilty. They think he's justified.

The Symbiote is an alien consciousness and therefore is probably not really affected by such concepts. It doesn't even think in terms of morality, it's more of an animal in it's basest state - it acts out to protect/gratify it's host. Meaning it lacks conscious evil.

Considering Bison was fucking dead and survived as a spooky brain ghost, i'd say you're right.

There's also the explaination that Bison did nothing wrong. But as fun as this is, it's more likely that it's simply the fact Bison split his soul into multiple peices so he could live forever inside his harem of assassin girls/Cammy's vagina

truly he is a great man

Wait a second, that's retarded, that then means that as long as you don't personally feel guilty (Frank) or had such a fucked life that all the horrible things you've done to others isn't as bad (deadpool) you get off scot-free? So any psychopath or edgelord with a tragic backstory is immune from the penance stare.
>he could live forever inside his harem of assassin girls/Cammy's vagina
Truly a man's man

To be fair to that user, every time that picture was posted in a One Page thread, I assumed it was some magic weapon and the cap sheet was some weird double hammer, mostly from a lack of context. I really had to examine the picture to put it together after the fourth or fifth time I saw it,

However, this is the same character who spent some time as a holy zombie, so let's not pretend it couldn't be something retarded.

You'd think the Shun Goku Satsu would be super effective against him, but I guess not. It also failed to kill Gen and Gouken as well, so maybe it's just a shitty move.

>that then means that as long as you don't personally feel guilty (Frank) or had such a fucked life that all the horrible things you've done to others isn't as bad (deadpool) you get off scot-free?

It's a Narrative based power, so it's ability fluctuates based on how actually bad a person is. It's kind of like Smite Evil in D&D. The Deadpool one sounds super dumb to me because Deadpool is the first to say he's a shitty person (which is why he's made such a big deal out of not being one), but essentially, if for some narrative reason the person might not be really evil from the universes perspective, it's less effective.

It should actually hurt him more in some senses. Imagine suddenly going from a Living God to a frail mortal, in pain and dying. Over. And over.

Even putting aside the numbers he's racked up, it'd be far more disturbing then a mortal, the mortal at least is "built" to die. How do you handle dying when you are supposed to be beyond it?

They emptied their souls first though. Effectively they "Dodged" the attack rather then tank it.

test

It didn't work on Frank because of writer fiat, so Ghost Rider could job. Penance Stare literally causes you to experience the pain of your victims, innocent or otherwise. The writer didn't know/care, and ruled that because Frank wouldn't feel the need for Penance the Penance Stare would not effect him, the venom thing might be plausible as it is a semi hive mind creature.

So wait, Penance Stare only works on legitimately evil people then? Because while Wade and Frank may be terrible people, they aren't necessarily evil.

Which brings up the question, who would the Penance Stare work best on? Sabretooth? Mephisto? Red Skull?

Doesn't make it a not shitty move. Bison didn't dodge it and came back stronger in SFIV.

If it was only supposed to kill the body, I'd give some credit to Akuma since Bison plays psycho shenanigans with his soul. But seeing as the move is supposed to destroy the soul directly, and Bison's soul is pretty much as corrupted as you get, I don't see how you can consider the Shun Goku Satsu as an effective move.

Yes I know Bison has plot armor. He isn't even considered truly dead in 5 either.

>Bison pulled a Voldemort when Akuma Penance Stared his ass just so he could realize his dream of being a 16 year old British girl

Truly a hero

The funny thing is that "speaking the language of the universe" is actually more plausible than "the city is talking to me."

It works on anyone who has hurt another.
Mephisto > Red Skull > Saber Tooth, based off presumed suffering they caused.

>from the universes perspective
So it's completely dependent on the author's moral compass? What a convenient way to push a narrative, I really hope people don't start using gr to push political ideologies.
>they aren't necessarily evil.
That kind of puts into question what 'evil' really is, I mean, why are things so black and white as just having 'good' and 'evil'? Surely a child rapist is evil, but say someone got an abortion, surely there are people who would consider such an act morally reprehensible, but others would not, so who determines how 'evil' this person is? Really gr's powers assume some sort of absolute moral framework from which he then judges people as 'good' and 'evil' but who's framework is it? If it's his then he is bad as he is punishing others based solely on his morality, if he were a nazi for instance he could use the penance stare on Anne Frank and it would work.
Frank has a fucked life already so it would've been plausible for him to just be able to take the pain as he's already miserable, why have it not work on him? If anything that makes him less badass and takes away from his character.

CHANG CHANG CHANG

To get technical the way it works is two fold and under certain conditions. The target has to have a soul, eyes, and be really close to GR. The target is dealt mental damage equivalent to all anguish the target has caused to beings with souls, as long as it wasn't in the name of vengeance.

Rapist who's only harm was when he raped the man who raped his mother? Penance stare does pretty much nothing.

Man who shot drug dealers because they are bad people? Feels like he has been shot several times all at once.

I'm assuming unless it's Frank shooting those drug dealers?

Or does he get a pass because he doesn't blame the actual murderers of him family, and just files it under "crime did this."

Frank should definitely get fucking destroyed by the penance stare. It might as well be his kryptonite.

Being able to shrug off the pointless suffering he's caused because he gets a boner when he kills criminals is pretty dumb.

You know, it's real shame this aspect of gr's powers hasn't been explored more, I feel like this would make for a pretty interesting comic, trying to understand what evil and suffering are by using his penance stare as a tool to viewing these concepts.

No, he gets a pass because comics are stupid and pretty much all internal universe logic goes out the window based on whoever the writer is wanking.

Even if we wanked it out some logic in which Punisher's personal war on crime was actually somehow a long standing vendetta for his family, he was still a soldier who shot people for non vengeance reasons. That alone would probably hit him like a ton of bricks.

It's "Namor lost to Thing while fighting in the ocean" or "We crushed the underwater base by dropping Ice on it" levels of ignoring how things work.

I used to hate this page because I thought they were getting the Penance stare wrong, but I found out later Punisher actually lost his soul a while back and the stare actually wouldn't work on him because of that, even if he doesn't know why.

>But seeing as the move is supposed to destroy the soul directly, and Bison's soul is pretty much as corrupted as you get, I don't see how you can consider the Shun Goku Satsu as an effective move.
Mistranslation; The Shun-Goku-Satsu uses the weight of your own sins to 'shatter' your soul, not 'destroy' it. Bison's soul was already in pieces because that was his goal all along so all Akuma did was make the biggest piece break into smaller pieces which his smaller pieces (he had already broke off himself) grew into bigger pieces and ate. Becoming even bigger than it was originally.
Yeah. Somebody was way high when they thought this up.
>So it's completely dependent on the author's moral compass? What a convenient way to push a narrative, I really hope people don't start using gr to push political ideologies.
As a GR fag (there are at least six of us and we circle jerk like a boss) you see a definite change from the early 'lost biker hippy' GR and the more modern 'cursed leather crusader' GR. OG ghost rider has met literal Jesus and the Devil, has used the penance stare to exercise demons as well as determine the innocence of morally questionable people. Abused wives who kill their husbands and the like. The spirit of vengeance could eventually be argued into mercy by Johnny.
All that shit got thrown out the window in the 90's and especially in the marvel knights era the stare became the equivalent of a pro-wrestling finisher. The OP is a horrible example of a horrible trend of both using the stare as an ultimate moral scale (cause pain get pain) and also passing the buck responsibility wise. It's just shit writing.

BILLION BILLION

Bison is a girl that made some shitty clones that could contain her psycho power

thats why cammy and rose exist. cammy being a better host and rose being bison's original body.

>wasn't in the name of vengeance.
Wait, isn't this what Frank does EVERYTHING in the name of?

Oh.

Fucking comics

>Wait, isn't this what Frank does EVERYTHING in the name of?
Everything Frank does is in the name of punishment. Not justice, not revenge. It's a weird distinction but pretty consistent among writers. Frank always argues that what he does is necessary but ultimately selfish because he doesn't claim any higher moral authority making it necessary, just frank castle: war vet, husband, father, deceased
It's a bullshit argument anyway. I would have bought Frank tanking the PS before I bought 'frank feels nothing' or 'frank did nothing wrong'.