Crafting a Doom Book

With Marvel getting the F4 back, and the Doom flick moving forward, it seems to me they're going to build Doom as a sort of Anti-Hero and give him his own title sometime in the future. He's held one before, and his latest mini, even though it had little promotion and a different name, sold as well as the rest of them (30k by the end).

So, with all that said, plus the fact that he's one of the most versalite characters around, how would you go about crafting a solo book? What characters would you add? What kind of antagonists and supporting cast? Would you retcon anything? What direction would you take it in? Would Doom return to being DOOM or would you move forward with the current, solemn version?

Personally, I think that you'd need to create a history for Latveria first, then give him a well rounded supporting cast and gradually go from there. What's his political standing? How are relations with neighboring countries? Are there werewolf caravans residing in Latverian borders? What about Dracula?

that’s gay, play him a straight villian

He hasn't been a straight villain since the 90s though (excluding Unthinkable). Doom 2099 was a straight up anti-hero who ended up sacrificing himself to save the world. You can still give him villainous qualities, which are needed, without making him a monster.

Just have him start purging the mutant cancer growing on earth, it’ll piss off X-Fags to the point to where they’ll be screaming that he’s the worst thing ever. Of course this also turns him into humanity’s greatest hero at the same time...

But user, Doom-kun is a welcoming, accepting of all lifestyles persecuted minority with no evil qualities who abhors enslavement and racism. Learn your lore uwu.

Naw man, during Secret Wars God Doom saw Mutants as pests and very much disliked them. Doom knows that Mutants are a cancer, not the next step in evolution.

Do doom fags like pick and choose what stories they read? There have been several doom stories sincs waid where he is a dick.

I know, I was just going by Tumblr's view of Doom. They get fixated on the gyppo part (which is weird considering he and his whole tribe are white) and forgo all the times he's been a Nazi, collaborated with Nazis, dissected Asgardians like Cattle, or the fact that he's a literal fascist with an Old Germanic/Greco Roman fetish.

There's a difference between being a dick and being evil user, that's what I'm saying. You can still have him dissecting Asgardians and considering them cattle, without having him resort to bombing villages. There's a fine line.

But yeah, Doom's character is entirely up to intepretation. He's either a racist, fascist fuck, or a "we're all the same luvs" hippie. Or maybe he's a hammy and goofy asshole. Or maybe he's a 12" dick-having absolute bad-ass. Writers have different views of him, which means every time he appears, you don't know what you're going to get.

>There have been several doom stories sincs waid where he is a dick.

Doom stories are pretty schizo, every writer does something different. Personally I like him as a dick, but I try to only read good quality Doom stories.

Anyway, OP. I'd like a Strange and Doom part 2, if it's a mini-series. For a longer series, I'd like to see Doom pay some attention to the sperg he calls his son.

He has to ward off hoardes of muslim refugees who are entering Latveria.

Doom Fact: Tumblr and Sup Forums and below Doom’s notice

I just hate doomfags who view him as a pragmatic anti hero. The guy has an ego bigger than thanos. The only reason he used to help good guys in the past was because it would one up Richards.
Hickman actually got that part right.

>Doom an Anti-Hero
>Loki is a homosexual
>Thanos is a joke character who gets beat off panel
>Magneto is too old to be relevant
>Kingpin, mayor of the most liberal city on Earth
>Red Skull less of a Nazi than Captain America

Where were you when APOCALYPSE! was the strongest and one true big bad in all of Marvel

I wonder where Kristoff is, truth be told.

But Doom's a Muslim lover user! I mean, sure, he has a strict border policy and he doesn't allow anything that would disrupt the Latverian way of life, but he totes LOVES Muslims! God, i fucking hate Ewing and that Britbong...

>Doom doesn't browse Sup Forums
>Doom doesn't have bots whose job is to prove that Latverians are white and WUZ ROMANZ AND GREEKZ AND SHEEEEIT
>implying

Like I said, it fluctuates. I don't like Doomwank, but to say that he's merely a 2-bit, petty villain and nothing more isn't accurate.

Well, Apocalypse is now a kid in the X-Mansion,so... And Extraordinary Apoc was a huge let down. Really, Marvel has no villains at this point.

That would not be a bad storyline.

Doom faces off against a Middle Eastern IS-type warlord and his brainwashed followers who are happy to follow him in death.
These crazies are destabilising the area, Doom can;t help but take notice of that. And it gives a nice contrast to Doom's own politics of extremism.

But it will never happen because Marvel.

>I just hate doomfags who view him as a pragmatic anti hero.

I'm Doomfag and I hate this too. Doom is motivated by ego and spite for Richaaaaaaards, and that's why I love him.

>I wonder where Kristoff is, truth be told.

Uh oh

isn't the old apoc still a prisoner of the X-Men?

by this time next year Beast and Doom will be trading quips with each other in Avengers mansion.

inb4 reverse RDJ Stark: he make evil shit with evil intentions that benefits humanity in the long run

...How would that work?

Dooms characterization tends to be all over the place and depends heavily on whose writing him. Under Hudlin (lmao) he's a sneering European imperialist who thinks africans are inherently inferior. During Secret Wars, he was portrayed as hating mutants. But in other publications he's shown to run Latveria as a refugee state (so long as you're fine with never leaving) and is too scientific to entertain notions like racial superiority.

Ultimately, I suspect the truth is simple - Doom likes those he can control, and hates those he can't. So it's natural Doom would have felt threatened by the Mutants, the only thing that could have disrupted his rule. It's also natural he'd goad T'Challa, because Wakanda and it's technology and vibranium deposits are out of his reach. It's also natural he'd be supremely welcoming of anyone willing to come to him grovelling and paying obeisance to his ego.

Of course in reality it's all just tonal inconsistency brought on by having multiple writers, but we can rationalize it like this. Doom plays sides as it suits him, and as it suits his obsession with control and aggrandizement. Remember, the great Panther spirit never said Doom was right, only that he THINKS he is.

>is too scientific to entertain notions like racial superiority
But science literally shows disparity between races.

like Alfred Nobel, but opposite

>create a powerful narcotic for the purpose of enslaving the people
>they just tamper with the dosage and it's a harmless and supremely effective anesthetic
>create massive dome shield to seperate Los Angeles from California and steal the city
>winds up protecting it from a massive solar flare that would have cooked the cities electrical grid

Just a chain of stories of Doom doing dumb shit and it fails, but it works out so people are praising him for it so he's dumbfounded and due to his ego can't admit it was a mistake so he has to play along while privately raging.

Basically, Doom wants to be hardcore, but the universe won't let him.

>Like I said, it fluctuates. I don't like Doomwank, but to say that he's merely a 2-bit, petty villain and nothing more isn't accurate.
I mean you can make a villain more developed and still have him be a villain. Thats why I liked Doom. When he is done right its glorious.

No no, we aren't going into that right now.

He looks like he's smoking Reed in that picture.

>Basically, Doom wants to be hardcore, but the universe won't let him.
Could be funny desu. Especially if the Maker's still running around and his inventions, which are supposed to help, fail and do more harm, so the world praises Doom, but scorns Reed,even though their goals are the complete opposite.

>During Secret Wars, he was portrayed as hating mutants.
Scan? Or sauce?

I wouldn't do him as an anti-hero, that's for sure. Making him an anti-hero just turns him into a grandiose Wolverine. Full villain protagonist.

And before anyone says Doom 2099, he's still the same Doom; it's just the world around him got so shitty he seems better in comparison.

I'm trying to find a scan, but essentially, when Doom was God of Creation, the mutants were some of the few who opposed his rule, waging a secret war on his obeisant kingdoms

Yeah I know, I've read SW. I remember Maddie, Apoc and whatnot, plus Sinister's bar. I just wonder if there's a panelor something where he voices clear distaste for muties.

There is, I can remember it, but damn if I can find it. He's lounging on his throne expressing how the Mutants are a disease

Go full, good intentioned villain who does what he thinks to be necessary in the most effective way.
Give him clearly defined moral values and principals that he sticks to but will compromise for the greater good.
Aslo he needs sombody who can write smart charterers and keikaku's with internal logic and no asspulls like Priest is doing on Deathstroke.
The biggest problem as i see it is that you can't have Doom be competent and/or right without changing status quo, so you have to have heroes oppose him set him back because they disagree with his methods.

>Aslo he needs sombody who can write smart charterers and keikaku's with internal logic and no asspulls
literally impossible in western comics

It was a mini series based on that famous genosha arc, I cant remember which. Rachel ruled that kingdom if I recall and Alex ruled a quarantined Genosha in there.

Sauce on the Doom flick?

Then the only selution is to go full KUBO so hard it comes back around to entertaining.

For example here is a VERY simple synopsis of Aizen from Blech's plan.
Aizen wanted to create the Ouken, the key that opens the door to the Soul King who rules Soul Society. In order to be able to keep increasing his power he wanted to merge the powers of Hollows and Soul Reapers, this was his experiment with the Visoreds. Aizen had made his own version of the Hogyoku to do this but it was incomplete, he merged it with the one Urahara made and with that he had the finished one that allowed him to increase his power and become the ultimate being. Aizen said himself that only Urahara was the only intellectual challenge he might have had.

Remember though that Aizen had his hypnotic power that allowed him to control many of those within Soul Society, those he did not control he tricked. He was able to get many to do his bidding, knowingly or not, only Ichigo was not under his control since he had never seen the sword release.

Ichigo made a statement after killing Aizen that Aizen was so powerful that having no equal he felt there was no one to challenge him and was somewhat lonely; the part about crossing swords where all Ichigo felt was lonliness. It's possible to look at this as the only one who could be a challenge to Aizen was the Soul King, so creating the Ouken using Karkura Town would allow him to open the gateway to where the Soul King lived and possibly fight him and find an equal.

Part of me hates that I understand this so easily

Can Doom solo DC?

Dr. Doomfenschmirtz basically.

>Ah, Reed Richards! I see you've stumbled upon my latest secret lair! Allow me to present - the ERADICATOR(burp)inator! Sorry, I'm sick, I ate some bad goulash. WHICH GOT ME THINKING ABOUT THE FOOD CHAIN - DOOM is on top, naturally, but how EAAASY it would be to disrupt everyday life with a device that can eradicate large swaths of animal life with the push of a button! Allow me to demonstrate, Reed the so-called Fantastic. Behold: Kenya. With one fell swoop I eradicate the mosquito population of this pitiful country, as a demonstration of my POWER.
>Victor?
>Yes, Richards? Are you not cowed by my awesome might?
>You just ended a malaria pandemic, Victor.
>CURSE YOU RICHARDSSSSSS!

Can Lex Luthor? He basically is Marvel Lex Luthor in terms of genius and ego.

Doom is a fucking PUNK.

Everyone talks about how horrible a villain he is, yet every damn one of his reads, at least the ones that I've seen or been suggested to see by Sup Forums, depict him as more of a fucking antihero than an actual villain.

Joker -- Killed Jason Todd, paralyzed Barbara, killed Sarah, etc.

Magneto -- Ripped Wolverine's fucking skeleton out

Green Goblin -- Killed Gwen Stacy, all of the psychological damage to his own fucking son

Doom -- The nigga delivered Reed Richards' child.

His big "act of villainy" there was just NAMING THE GIRL. Sure, you can toss out the whole "oh well he was proving that he could do something that Richards couldn't, he could help his family when Richards could not", or the bs "Oh well he's a classy motherfucker dohoho/he's an honorable villain" crap out there, but when it comes down to it, Doom hasn't done SHIT.

That all being said, Doom crying at 9/11 wasn't any sort of break in character or anything to me. Hell, I would even go as far to say that it was entirely IN character.

>I fucking hate Ewing
Angry storytimer spotted.

Also OP this is literally Infamous Iron Man, but it's unclear whether Zdarsky will keep him in that party during Marvel Two-In-One (you know, the book that's supposed to herald their return that you should be already reading).

Just give me a book where all Doom is after is to leave a flaming bag of shit on Reed's doorstep. That's the kind of stakes I want in a Doom book.

I'm with him. Doom has had three goals. Prove to be smarter than richards, conquer the world, save mommy. He did the third, have him try the 2nd. Not fully, of course, but you can have a run where he annexes, successfully a neighbouring country.

You get to add a romance for Doom (like a good Sup Forumsmrade, feel free to consider unthinkable not canon).
It doesn't mean a full, permanent romance, it can be flirty dinner, like that time with Storm, or a classic villainous
>I want you chained at my throne in a bikini
, or a full one, whatever you want.

Who do you choose?

Pair him with Namor and make it extra gay

Doom became God of Creation and Lex Luthor is just another bald genius villain you can find anywhere else.

>With Marvel getting the F4 back

you do understand nobody's actually signed anything yet and Murdoch's whole game might be to look like he's going to sell as cover for something else he's actually doing

sure there's a $1.5 billion pullout fee but that's pocket change to Newscorp

come on, Sup Forumsmblr, doom's straight

> literal fascist

no even close.
Fascism is completely different from Doom's rule.
He runs a totalitarian state, but not all totalitarian states are fascists

He already did the 2nd. He did finally fulfill his goal and his vision of the future proved true. The universe was saved by him. It turned out to be a hollow victory. That's the entire reason he's on the hero/anti-hero shtick right now.

there was a Captain Marvel(Shazam) story with a similar element: Sivana was to get the Nobel Prize because the inventions he made to kill the Big Red Cheese were pure genius and end up used to help tons of people

He refuse because he's evil.

He didn't hate mutants, he did hate those fuckers of the various X-people and their enemies because the reasons so eloquently explained by Ultimate Spiderman that time he did switch body with Ultimate Wolverine.

If he really hated mutants, he wouldn't have remade them. Hell, he even had a Dazzler and a Storm among his Thors.

His current antihero schtick is shit and that is a dumb excuse to have him do it. Doom should want to rule the current, 616 universe, with heroes active and running. Have a story where the status quo in that situation is altered slightly in his favor by the end. Have him annex part of a nearby land.

Yes. Besides, Doom/Lady Loki is OTP.

Why should he want to rule the Earth again? He’s been God of everything, what’s the allure of governing Earth now?

He's only been god in unique/unstable situations, like ruling franklin's made up universe, ruling doomworld and holding it from falling apart, or that time he created one from scratch, including its basic powers and got overhtrown.
That's different from taking over the defacto, prime/actual universe, where he was born in, where the enemies/challengers he has reside and so on. All the previous cases had an expiration date and he kinda knew it.

I guess there's the sentimental attachment. But he did rule the Earth in Emperor Doom as well, and he gave it up.