How Long do You Give a Webcomic to "Get Good"

Trying to slog through Homestuck on the promise of "it gets good" made me wonder just how long the people who read webcomics are willing to wait before something "gets good".

Does it just take a premise you like or one single thing that catches your interest to make you keep tabs on it even if it's boring as shit? Do people who read these have more patience than other mediums? Or is a really slow start just expected out of webcomics?

Wait is 6 Jugs secretly a grill too?

I haven't been keeping up with KSBD in a while.

Did you really expect anything else

I honestly don't know what to expect.

By the way the head angel guy was pissed off about White Chain being secretly a woman I would've thought it to be a unique, or at least a very rare thing. But this means that three of the four angels with the most lines in the comic are women.

I don't really care about the chosen gender of glowing gas creatures living in artificial ceramic shells, but if there are a bunch of female angels running around then White Chain choosing to be female is really not as big a deal as the comic pretends it is.

>Trying to slog through Homestuck on the promise of "it gets good"
You've got it reversed.
Homestuck starts out good and then turns bad.

It starts out ok, then gets good, peaks too early, and then starts a long and painful descent into utter garbage.

I'll tell you what I noticed across many mediums over some time, OP. Any truly high-quality story, and I don't even mean something Shakespearean, just a story that comes from an author's heart that is knowledgeable about the world and dedicated, starts off good. They may start off boring af, but their inherent quality will be detectable under the surface.

The social contrapositive of this is that 95% of the time you hear "it gets better later," those people are wrong. It's extremely rare that an artist gets substantially better throughout the course of his work, so if it sucks now, it'll suck forever.

The combination of a love of adventure games and comics as well as its unique interface got me through Act 1, which was slow and not too great. Act 2 focused heavily on WV, making it much better. Act 3 and 4 are interesting but not as good but promise a lot of interesting plot points to be followed up on. The Intermission is fantastic. Act 5 starts slow and gets up its own ass a bit, but has some interesting arcs that it starts (most of which have substandard conclusions) and the ending wraps up almost everything.

All that follows is straight trash, green gremlin alpha male Karkat reset be damned. Read The Intermission even if you don't want to read the rest, it's worth your time.

It's not that White chain is a Woman, it's that White Chain is "Humanized"

Angels feel emotions like we feel highs, Those who get to emotional are addicted to it.

Looking pretty is basically a crack addict to an Angel.

6 Juggs looking human there is because 6 Juggs was fucking Angry, Humanly so.

Where would you say it peaks, just out of interest?

no one likes homestuck, they only like the idea of homestuck. Even the die hard fans need to stuff it with 'headcanons' to make it bearable.

Not them, but Intermission, which is also a semi-followup on Problem Sleuth (Which is much better than Homestuck).

There isn't any rapid descent in quality until after Cascade at the end of Act 5, although 5 itself is poorly paced and has a lot of time wasting meme characters you won't care about. Vriska's character arc is probably the last outright good element, so if you don't find her or Scratch's shenanigans interesting you should probably just skip ahead to the end of the act and admire the pretty colors and visuals.

Nah Act I definitly wasn't good and really put me off the first time I saw it. After I got past all that weirdness though it legitimately got good for a bit at least

When you decide you're done. Don't let randos convince you otherwise or you'll just be in for a bad time slogging through something you hate.
(I personally made this mistake with Majora's Mask and Star Trek Voyager.)

You only make exceptions when friends you trust say "it gets good at X" and you're not there yet. Although I suppose that also depends on whether they understand your tastes. It could be they like garbage and are making excuses for it, or you're a Plebeian who can't appreciate quality fiction. An understanding friend should be able to appreciate the differences in tastes though.

The other 5%: Star Trek: TNG & DS9

That sounds like a cheap way to excuse making your OC look like anything cool you think of at the moment.
"My OC is Shadow the Hedgehog, but when he get's angry, he grows giant breasts and a giant penis! Best of both worlds! those two worlds being nostalgia, and my raging degenerate lust."

If you don't like a webcomic after the first chapter or feel compelled to keep reading, just stop.
Maybe try to get invested at a later date, but by no means should you ever try to force yourself to like something.
Work on the assumption that it's never going to ""get good""

>6 Juggs looking human there is because 6 Juggs was fucking Angry, Humanly so.
citation needed.
Juggs was a deviant who took to the path of thorns to eradicate that weakness from themselves.

Throw out some examples of good stories.

With the typical comic I'll give it the length of a volume to interest me. If it's falling completely flat by that point I'll give up, if I'm interested I'll continue reading. In a traditional comic the "first chapter" might only be the first 20 pages of a book, so its hard to go by that rule.

Webcomics are just weird because of their update format, since what is standard for printed comics might take a year or twos worth of updates to achieve in a webcomic format. It's a medium that inherently requires patience because you're drip fed pages on a weekly basis. That especially holds true for ones that just started, I've never actually seen a webcomic upload a full chapter at once before opening up a website. They always start with a single page.

If one has potential I'll give it a few months to pick up. If it has an archive I'll read for like, an hour at most, and see if it grips me. Its tough to really say with different authors having different pacing and schedules, Unsounded updates at a way faster rate than something like Paranatural and some comics like Problem Sleuth use radically different formats that make it hard to discern how much you've read.

I give capeshit 100 pages, I give indishit 70 and webcomics 35. If I'm not hooked in the first 'issue' of a webcomic I'm out. I don't have time to get emotionally invested in something that's going to update sporadically and get dropped when the author graduates.

>I've never actually seen a webcomic upload a full chapter at once before opening up a website. They always start with a single page.
It's bad for views. There's no time for word of mouth to spread. The way several comics that actually end have done it is to finish the first chapter in advance as a buffer and go for weekly updates.

>Sounds like a cheap way to excuse making your OC look like anything cool you think of at the moment.

That's literally angels though, they're constructed guardians of god, 6 Jugs is a Deviant as is.

>Trying to slog through Homestuck on the promise of "it gets good"
kek.

Whoever told you that really likes leading you on. While it does "get good" it will end up as one of the WORST you will ever read by the end of it.

OP probably did it because they wanted to do a girl or something.

Either Descend or Cascade, tied for technical reasons.

Homestuck was as good as it gets at the start and steadily got worse, then dropped off a fucking cliff. Who told you it "gets good"? Jesus christ!

If i'm not engaged I stop reading

>Nah Act I definitly wasn't good