[for idiots] an explanation of the electoral college in America and why it works

people are griping about how the Electoral College is not representativ and it should be a democracy or a 2 round vote system. With every vote counted equally.

I say you're all idiots.

While many others have made a good explanation with the reasoning of 'big states do not overpower little States'.
people seem to forget one thing.

The United States of America has a system unlike any other country in the world and no other "Nation" has a similar system.

The main question.

what is the United States of America?
The United States of America is "a union of 50 states"

Second question.
What is a state, a nation, and a country?

>There is a difference between the terms nation, state, and country, even though the words are often used interchangeably. Country and State are synonymous terms that both apply to self-governing political entities. A nation, however, is a group of people who share the same culture but do not have sovereignty.

We live in the "NATION" known as the "United States of America"
A nation with 50 "self-governing" states.

In other words. And Empire with 50 countries

>Empire: a group of countries that are controlled by one ruler / government. >King: the (male) ruler of an independent state / country that has a royal family. Kingdom: a country ruled by a king (or queen)

We live in a time without Kings or queens or Empires. Each governor of each state is technically the king of a self-governing country. While the president holds the position of the emperor of this representativ-republic empire.

We have the Electoral College so that bigger countries don't eat up little countries in this "Empire" known as the "United States"
The EU is a union of States. But it's un-democratic, as no one representative member there is elected.
Basically an oligarch Empire.
A failed America.
and the sad part is most people don't even know this. America is a "nation" of 50 sovereign self-governing state-countries.
[spoiler] correct me if I'm wrong please [/spoiler]

Other urls found in this thread:

discovermagazine.com/2004/sep/math-against-tyranny
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Keep the electoral college but hand out votes proportionally instead of winner-takes-all

If that's the case then Trump would still win because one third of Californians voted Trump

fucking this, winner take all is an asinine system

how do we feel about faithless electors though? i see the benefit, but it feels like an extreme danger

Actually I just realized something.
Based on my own explanation
Trump is technically the emperor of the United States

buamp

Hail the god emperor

I actually legitly didn't notice. I always thought it was one giant country

>implying I'm unsatisfied with Trump winning
One-third of Californians would finally have a voice.

I don't think the electors have ever voted the opposite president in throughout history, and usually candidates concede. But it is scary.

He's Karl Franz, He was Obviously Voted in by the Elector Counts of all 50 counties of the Empire.

Wouldn't trump have dominated even harder if that were the case?
It would also incentivize the voters in pure red or blue states to vote.

yep, united STATES. it's why we're unstoppable. any where else we'd be 50 different countries

That's it. He would have completely one won.

glad you agree.

what i want to know is why this isn't taught in schools

Most people don't even know this this. Even politicians and lawyers.
Of course they're not going to even teach it in school.

on a side note soros is being sued

Under the electoral college, states run roughshod over all its citizens who dare vote against the majority of the states.

The system bluntly tells those who vote for the minority party (in respect to the state) their votes/opinions don't matter.

There is literally nothing wrong in "big states overpowering little states", just like in normal countries there is nothing wrong in "bigger regions overpowering smaller regions" or "bigger cities overpowering smaller cities" etc. Why bother TRYING to accomplish a fair share between states, when you can do exactly the same with 1 vote per voter across whole USA. Just saying.

because each state is sovereign and separate.
it is like you didn't read my post

it is taught in school or at least in my school

U stupid?

If you want to know why the electoral college works, why it empowers all votes, and why our founding fathers were badasses of the highest degree, read this article.

discovermagazine.com/2004/sep/math-against-tyranny

>but it's too long

shut up you autist and read it.

>just like in normal countries there is nothing wrong in "bigger regions overpowering smaller regions"
Yeah, except your frame of reference is (a) tiny nation(s) in Europe, whereas the United States is an enormous, incredibly varied country with a huge population. Furthermore, we are anything but a "normal country" with regards to our system of statehood, and you have to think about the electoral college from that context; we are not so much one big unified country with one culture and common interests as much as we are a bunch of little countries put together.

The popular vote works best on a smaller scale, which is exactly where we see it used--that is to say, local and state elections, and indeed, it is used on a state-wide scale with regards to presidential elections. However, past that point, we establish that each state has its own individual interests, demographics, economy, culture, and issues. Therefore, we say "these states" get a say rather than "everybody" gets a say. Furthermore, with a popular vote, it would be vastly inefficient to even attempt to appeal to most of America. You would spend most of your time campaigning in cities and pandering to them.

The electoral college isn't perfect; even with it, we run into the problem of cities overriding the votes of others that live in more ruralite areas (within a state), low voter turnout as a result of some states being overwhelmingly one way or another, and a few states being catered to (rather than a few cities), but at least with the electoral college the problem is localized to the state level rather than the national level (which, localizing things to the state level has the added benefit of helping lessen the impact of voter fraud).

thank you