Friendly reminder that Watterson knew it

Friendly reminder that Watterson knew it.

I doubt Calvin's parents paid 80 fucking bucks for that though

Oddly, Watterson never addressed video games in Calvin and Hobbes, even though the strip was around for the heyday of 8-bit and 16-bit video gamage, but then again you had strips that referenced kiddie matinees as a thing the family never owned a VCR, there being a payphone in an elementary school and the like.

...Kinda sad to realize that for it's timelessness C&H still had a few things that dated the contents...but then again I'm glad we never saw Calvin/Watterson deal with cell phones or the internet or stuff like that.

Well, the thing is, how much can you consider such small things of tehcnology "dated"?

Personally I firmly believe that a certain basic understanding of how any technology works always makes its way into a work of fiction and is up to a certain degree "timeless", even if the technology itself moves on and becomes more advanced.

E.g. I think the concept of what a phone is and that it is meant to "call" someone, will neve rreally grow old, to the point that even in a couple hundred years a kid may understand what the fuck this weird thing on the table in a comic strip with commisioner Gordon caling batman is supposed to do.

I can understand why he stopped doing calvin and hobbes, he didn't want to turn it into zombie simpsons but why he never tried other long lived comic?

Cuz he said everything he needed to say in C&H

Not to mention the stress he had to endure during C&H run due to the editors' pressure.

Video games only would have dated the strip more. Kids playing with controllers while their parents look concerned they're acting like zombies or sociopaths, or screens that go BLIP BLOOP ZAP are kind of relics.

>screens that go BLIP BLOOP ZAP
Always surprises me to see this in modern works since it's such a horribly dated concept.

Truly ahead of its time.

It really never ceases to amaze me how accurate it is

this isn't prediction, this is just history on a loop

It’s just a very recognizable visual shorthand that only offends enormous autists

Is the shitty resolution of the pic a joke with the theme of the strip?

no, it's just because I was too lazy to find one in higher quality (hence the iu-1 filename)

It was hard enough keeping them from turning C&H into a merchandising goldmine, it would've been impossible to do it again.

Calvin and Hobbes could only exist in the time frame it existed in and only exist for a very short time. You could never do something like that today.

So fucking on point it’s terrifying

a s t h e t i c s

I never got this as a kid, fucking cracks me up today.

Sup Forums.jpg

Is it stretching that my brain made the "counter-counter culture" connection with the current political climate of blind identity politics and how conservatism/alt right now seemingly serves as a counter-culture to PC and inclusive culture which in itself see's themselves as counter-culture?

this, social media didn't create the snowflake blizzard it just shrunk the effective distance between terrible people and let them mutually enable.

There are lots of relics of technology that are still heavily identifiable to people who didn't grow up with them. Beepers, record player, VCR. Kind of like how we still know what a sundial is even though clocks have replaced them centuries ago.

I don't think something like a character on a computer or holding a smartphone is "dating something" in the way that you think it is. It dates it as being 21st century, but it's not like referencing Kazaa which dates it to a very specific couple of years.

This shit is the most overrated thing ever

>muh nihilism
>everyone is stupid except me

Said the wojack poster with a folder full of different "I'm a retard" faces.

BTFO by Also you sound like you never heard of nihilism before rick and morty. Only edgy teens think thats what nihilism means.

I think a lot of kids, maybe most, wouldn’t understand what a beeper is for. And some wouldn’t recognize a VCR, though that’s on their parents (surely they’d encounter a tape if ever allowed to venture into a thrift store).
Record players will be identifiable for all time, they are ubiquitous in culture and they still make records and the sales are going up, odds are they will outlive the CD. Plus after the ecological collapse and heat death of most life on Earth it will be the only widely available recording medium still playable as they can be played back entirely mechanically with a (relatively) extremely simple mechanism.

Another interesting thing to note on this front is that the save icon is still a floppy disc. Wonder how many people have no idea it represents a physical object and think it’s entirely abstract.

is just a pretty good comic

>Calvin and Hobbes
>nihilistic in any way
You're not supposed to be agreeing with Calvin in the majority of the strips that have been posted.

Big deal, Larson predicted E-Sports.

I don't think you realize just how recent cell phones are as a thing.

Technically they were invented in the 80s but they didn't gain large scale popularity until the early 2000s.

There was a strip about Calvin complaining about not having cable TV because it deadens local culture or something. The punchline was Dad saying "There's still McDonalds and Walmart" and Calvin saying "But they don'y come into our homes!

>discovering Calvin and Hobbes as a kid and enjoying the antics of an adventurous and imaginative boy
>returning to Calvin and Hobbes as an adult and appreciating Watterson's shockingly accurate social commentary

Excellent bait, I rate it 9/10

yeah spergs have a deep issue processing the whole "the main character isn't supposed to be a role model" concept, hell that's the common basis shared by all sauce and pickle fags.

We can't even have main characters who aren't anything but nerdy self inserts for the viewers these days. I can't think of last show where the hero was an alpha manly scientist explorer or something

>Sup Forums.png

i just saw the banner for this 5 minutes ago

>not having cable TV because it deadens local culture or something
I really wish it weren't true. I sometimes feel like some kind of Luddite when I wish we weren't homogeneous as a culture as we've become. Not that any of it matters since intentionally going against it would make local culture artificial anyway.

Not really, no.

I've always found it really cool to be living in the world that this strip predicted.

>Calvin and Hobbes could only exist in the time frame it existed in
Waterson was always super autistic about not selling out, "cheapening the characters" and the art.
A lot of the collections mention how he enjoyed older newspaper comics where they could take up more space on the page.
I wonder what it would have been like as a webcomic, with no editors and not restricted to the size, shape, and format of newspaper printing.

I almost added "except as a webcomic". It's interesting to think about.

I'd contribute to Watterson's patreon.

I specifically remember a Spaceman Spiff episode where he wrestles with a slow download and then the computer blows.

It takes forever to start up, then he has to fuck around with the settings because it won't work right and he wastes so much time trying to get it to work, he gets shot down.

That's pretty much timeless.

The floppy disk is a terrible piece of technology that I wish history would forget

I remember reading an interview from Watterson saying that winning the right to have larger panel space for Sunday strips was a double edged sword, since he had to keeping upping his standards to justify that fact that he had to fight for it.

> I play it real quiet too
Based

Completely surpassed in every way, yes, but now that you don’t HAVE to use them for any reason loading an old game off them is charming. The clicks and whirrs are so very primitive.
But I will also maintain to my death that, if you use a good deck and halfway decent tape stock, cassettes are fun to make and sound very good.

There are lots of musicians putting stuff out exclusively on cassettes.
It's a fun little format, good taste, user.

The 80 bucks is for the game and the cardboard. They're not just giving you an empty box, user.

Without Heathcliffe wearing a hat I don't understand the joke. What's the joke?

Time is a descending loop.