What happens when a major cast member of The Simpsons dies? Harry Shearer is 74 years old...

What happens when a major cast member of The Simpsons dies? Harry Shearer is 74 years old. Julie Kavner isn't too far behind.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/R1SFqYD9ZPg
whatstrending.com/pop/19125-harry-shearer-totally-called-out-brock-baker-on
youtube.com/watch?v=89u7gGFQIGE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They are replaced with someone who is obviously not as good at the role

Shearer (or one of them) wanted to quit a couple years ago- fox said they would just replace him if he did. Figure they would probably do the same if any of them kicked the bucket

They just use the raw studio recordings and funnel it into a machine learning program to artificially replicate their voices using b-list voice actors as an inflection template.

Fox is probably waiting for this so they can hire someone else to work for 1/5th as much

Those clowns at congress are at it again. What a bunch of clowns.

They'll just reuse old lines. No one remembers first seasons.

How come Dr. Monroe didn't become a bigger simpsons character?

Shearer didn't like doing the voice and also Matt Groening said MM wasn't really that great of a character or that funny anyway.

Oh, I guess that makes sense. Doing his voice does sound like it'd hurt

Shearer can still do most of his voices pretty well when he tries (which he usually doesn't now) but Julie Kavner sounds like she's inches from death.

Mike Scully claimed that when they were writing Who Shot Mr. Burns "We needed a name for a hospital and someone in the room suggested 'Dr. Marvin Monroe Memorial Hospital' and [Dave Mirkin] replied 'Ok fine, but now he has to be dead.'"

She's only 67. But man, after watching an actual new episode her voice is really going.

She still does Patty and Selma ok, it's Marge that sounds horrifying.

Every single character in the simpsons has said literally every word in the English language in literally every type of tone and inflection so at this point they just have to develop an algorithm to weave them together into sentences

I've dreamed about doing a project like this

Also nobody can replace her either if she dies/retires. I've never heard a single Marge impersonator who sounded remotely accurate.

For some reason, the best Marge impressions I've heard have all come from men.

Yeardley Smith has a pretty unique voice as well, good luck finding anyone who sounds like that.

She can also only do that one voice. I think she's the only regular cast member who only voices one character.

The Jap dub of the Simpsons has a surprisingly good Lisa seiyu. Marge is terrible, predictably.

youtu.be/R1SFqYD9ZPg

It will still sound bad. You ever watch a reality TV show where they gotta cut between all the uhms and uhs for runtime? It will be just like that because you can't just throw in random words and have it flow like a natural conversation no matter how many times or ways they pronounce it.

These are awful.

These sound like impressions of bad impressions.

The show ends, period. They retired all the Phil Hartman and Marcia Wallace characters when they died, but those were only one or two characters. We're talking losing up to an entire third of characters if Castellanetta, Azaria, or Shearer goes.

This is from when Shearer threatened to quit in 2015, it forced his hand to rejoin the show and probably take a pay cut

Did he seriously only return out of fear that shitty YouTube impressionists would take his job and do inferior work?

Meant to reply to

You can tell that this guy wouldn't be able to replicate the voices beyond repeating their most famous lines. The characters would start to sound different very quickly.

He commented about it on facebook around that time so yeah.

whatstrending.com/pop/19125-harry-shearer-totally-called-out-brock-baker-on

youtube.com/watch?v=89u7gGFQIGE

People like this guy need to understand that if they want the job, being able to imitate the previous actor's voice is not what voice casting directors are looking for. Impressions are a party trick, not voice acting. What they are really looking for is someone who can actually act and express themselves. Being able to do silly voices and impressions is actually least important aspect of being a voice actor.

t. Someone with ties to the industry.

I'm pretty sure one of the foreign dubs of the Simpsons cast a man as Marge's voice. I forget which one.

Good thing none of the recent Simpsons episodes require any of that so the current cast can just clock in and record some lines while forgetting what their own characters sound like.

God, this sounds awful.

wait seriously?

Wow, how does it keep up with the news like that?

To think he was 45 when he started.

>I'm pretty sure one of the foreign dubs of the Simpsons cast a man as Marge's voice. I forget which one

The Japanese dub of The Simpsons Movie used a man for Marge, while the dub of the TV series used a woman (who wasn't bad, but didn't really sound gritty enough to be Marge).

Nobody liked the new cast they used for The Movie, so a second dub was done using the TV series cast for the DVD release in Japan.

Marge's voice is gone

Each episode's dialogue recording session lasts less than 2 hours. The cast can usually get it done in an hour and with only 2 or 3 takes per line.

They get paid $200,000 per episode (down from $5000,000 per episode at their peak). If you wonder why the animation in The Simpsons is so shit, it's because by the time Fox is done paying the voice actors for an hour of work, 22 times per season, there's barely any budget left to make the fucking cartoon. They fired Alf Clausen, who had scored every episode since the beginning, this season to save money and will be using his archived music tracks for the remainder of the show's run.

>there's barely any budget left to make the fucking cartoon

And it shows

I think you typed an extra 0 there. Also I was reading about Simpsons actor pay a few weeks ago, and I don't recall them taking a cut that big.

Everything that guy said is literal pulled out of his own ass.

Discussing Simpsons on Sup Forums is hard as fuck due to people like that.

The va's have taken a paycut over the years, that much is true. But I could easily write everything else off from that post as false.

Then again, I could also write your own post off as false as well. It's almost like it's hard to trust anons on the internet.

With a bit of tweaking, Melissa Fahn could probably do a decent Lisa, if her Dendy voice is any indication. Course, FOX is one to lean towards cheap YT-level impersonators than experienced professional VA's, so the point is rather moot.

Melissa Fahn is underrated as a VA.

Fox already has people lined up for replacement if needed. They don't need to have anyone perfectly replicate the voices.
The only reason the Simpsons is running is due to their iconic nature. They are making next to no money off of it due to the VAs and all the staff.

With Harry Shear they actually looked into phasing out his characters. He was a hold out at times.

There are some lines you don't cross. For example, when Frank Welker dies (which won't be any time soon; fucker has a lot of energy for his age), the Scooby-Doo franchise dies. Transformers, you can kinda get away with because he had a lot of good sucessors.

>the Scooby-Doo franchise dies

Don Messick's death didn't end Scooby-Doo, and Casey Kasem's death didn't either. The dog and his dumb owner will live forever, one way or another.

Name one guy who can voice Fred Jones as well as he can.

Doesn't matter. It outlived Don, Casey, and to a lesser extent the girl who voiced Daphne. And a Velma.

Scooby Doo will outlive us all.

There was a 15-year stretch where Welker's character, Fred, wasn't even IN Scooby-Doo and had been effectively written out to nobody's chagrin.

Scooby-Doo can survive without Welker; it already proved that once.

But that’s because they didn’t have Fred in it, future series will want Fred in it. I mean Fred will outlive Frank but still.

See also: Greg Cipes as Bart

Shaggy, Scooby, and Velma are the main characters anyway, Fred isn't that important. Also it's mildly scary to think that FW has been doing this for half a century. At this rate, he's on track to best Mel Blanc's record for longest time voicing the same character(s).

Nancy Cartwright could probably do it.

The characters are either retired like Troy McClure, Lionel Hutz and Edna Krabappel or the actors or replaced like Mr. Burns.

>I mean Fred will outlive Frank but still.

every character outlives the actor that plays them because they dont fucking exist you dunce

>What happens when a major cast member of The Simpsons dies? Harry Shearer is 74 years old. Julie Kavner isn't too far behind
The show gets renewed because the production cost goes way down as they can recast the parts with unknowns who don't command 6.5 million dollars per season.

Ratings for the Simpsons are low and getting lower, their most recent series premier had 3.6 million viewers according to Nielsen ratings, for comparison KING OF THE HILL had around six million at the time of cancellation. changing voice actors would also only make things worse. I’m reallt surprised it’s not cancelled already

Nope. Marge is still voiced by a woman in the movie dub.

Bart’s voiced by a dude though.

Some of them are so old now that they aren't as good at the roles as they used to be.

No one gives a shit about Fred. Only Scooby and Shaggy are mandatory for any SD cartoon.