I'm more than halfway through, and can't say I'm enjoying this very much. It's all very average and unmemorable...

I'm more than halfway through, and can't say I'm enjoying this very much. It's all very average and unmemorable. The group is kinda bland, which is a shame because the idea of a bunch of powered teens, who got screwed by the previous generation, and want to have their own perfect city is nice. But it's being overshadowed by a plot I care very little about.
If I didn't have to read it for a meeting, I probably would stop.

Any opinions on it?

Also how good is Valiant? And (perhaps the question is dumb) how "justified" is it in its existence? I mean, it seems like yet another attempt at copying/parodying super hero universes, and I haven't seen a single Valiant book that had me say "this seems genuinely interesting and I haven't seen that before".

Do they have books that are genuinely great, and not just generic super hero adventure stuff?

I didn't like it. Plus the started killing them off in Harbingers so I guess par for the course of younger Comic teams.

Just finished it. The last issue was nice. Although they kinda glossed over a bunch of stuff theme-wise.

This book is a "it's fine" comic.

I'd recommend it to newcomers who have never picked up a comic before

Sup Forums no longer likes or cares about Valiant

How come?

Why the fuck would you slab that book?

>slab
What does that word mean?

It's the protective, plastic case around the comic. You usually do it to comics that have value.

It was new(ish) territory and had a lot of room to explore new ideas. Now it's just another comic universe bogged down by continuity, pointless crossovers and events (even repeating their first crossover, Harbinger Wars, from 6 years ago).

If you don't like the gang fear not because most of them are killed off in a later issue by the H.A.R.D Corps

>H.A.R.D.

Is it mean or unfair of me to think "that just sounds like a SHIELD rip-off"?

It's probably different, but the idea of using an actual word as an acronym is something I've seen done so many times already in DC or Marvel...

It's liek Valiant went "I'm gonna maje my on universe!" except they're not Kirby or Lee, so they just copy.

Yeah kinda. Aside from the fact that SHIELD didn't create that naming scheme, the H.A.R.D. Corps is a paramilitary group composed of coma patients with latent psychic abilities they can access by way of cybernetic implants.

Valiant does have some very strong stuff, mostly by the same handful of writers.

Van Lente's Archer & Armstrong
Kindt's Ninjak, X-O Manowar, Divinity and Rai
Lemire's Bloodshot
Vendetti's Eternal Warrior
Dysart's Harbinger/Imperium story

And i dunno if you's count Priest's return to Quantum and Woody but that shit was really good.

Basically, they've got a good batting average. Most of their output is "okay", they don't have much "bad", but they do have some stuff that I'd say is "really good", both when looked at from a perspective of the writing and art. Raul Allen, Kano, Doug Braithwaite, Mico Suayan, Clay Mann and others have done very good work for the company. Shit, i think they have the most recent Paolo Rivera interiors as well.

>SHIELD didn't create that naming scheme
Sure, obviously. But I mean the resemblance in tropes is kind of too obvious to ignore.

I mean, this book is called Generation Zero and is about teens with super powers...

Speaking of which. Are all the powers in Valiant related to psychic abilities?

Alot of them are or just magic.

Ok ok thanks.

Psychic powers are so common that its practically a requirement for any armed force in Valiant to have some type of anti-psiot tech. Bloodshot is basically made to kill psiots.

I always liked the new quantum and woody run

Is that a kind of artistic decision to limit themselves to mental powers? It seems a little obvious and restrictive.

Black Mirror too is getting more and more focused on stories involving plugging the brain to tech.

I mean brains are nice, but dang.

Valiant has a really large universe. There's a lot of psiot stuff, but also tons of straight up sci-fi tech, alien shit, magic, etc.,

Oh cool.

I noticed a book drawn by Lafuente. Quantum and Woody I think. Is it good? I love his art.

Quantum and Woody have already had a lot of artists AND writers on 'em. I can't vouch for Lafuente's run, but there is good Q&W stuff. Same for A&A, i only ever read Van Lente's but that shit was GOOD.