Can we have an honest discussion about this movie?

Can we have an honest discussion about this movie?

These Marvel super hero movies have always been "safe entertainment," largely free from politics; that's why they made so much money. Yet now one of them is looking like it's going to involve some serious real world political commentary, favoring a minority standpoint. Even the trailer music is '60s radical-anarchist music and aggressive rap. Didn't this sound like a fucking terrible idea to film producers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ARXTbNxYHsA
youtube.com/watch?v=NVY8llXEIJM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_Haiti_massacre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Haiti#French_Saint_Domingue_(1625–1789)
youtube.com/watch?v=Zq5S5sH1Ikk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is awful bait.

You forget this is the same company to throw Star Wars onto the sacrificial PC altar. A fantasy space adventure with aliens made into race political bait. All must be sacrificed to the great god Marx.

>Can we have an honest discussion about this movie?
no, mods are fags

>Even the trailer music is '60s radical-anarchist music and aggressive rap.
I bet your pasty ass doesn't even listen to Run The Jewels.

>movie succeeds
>YAAAS NIG SLAY, WE WUZ KANGZ, SUCK IT TRUMP THE BLACK PEOPLE IN CHARGE NOW, PURGE WHITEY
>movie flops
>FUCKING RACIST BIGOTS, THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO PURGE WHITE PEOPLE, FUCK TRUMP RIOT IN BALTIMORE

Superman, Spider-Man, and Batman don't look anything like me.

Is this person implying that I relate to other heroes purely on the basis of the color of their skin?

Captain America: Winter Soldier features a plot line railing against the surveillance state and the concept of preemptive military action for fear that bad men will use it to further their own agendas at the expense of the American people rather than at their interests. It is commonly regarded as one of the best Marvel movies.

If you seriously can't tell that's an explicitly political plot than you may be developmentally challenged.

>Can we have an honest discussion
Doesn't seem like you will
>These Marvel super hero movies have always been "safe entertainment," largely free from politics
Iron Man 1 and CA:WS both address international and national security politics, both are received well and made money.

Those retards like to imply that there wasn't popular movies to everyone like mulan where the main character was an asian girl? Static Shock was very popular, Luke Cage was popular.

Why they like to pretend that something like a girl protagonist or a black guy is new? For fucks sake everybody watched Blade few years ago

Not even african protagonist is new if you remember Coming to America

Black Panther is literally nothing new at all, this sjw is 100% retarded

>98234423
>state surveillance
>race relations

Tell me which one is the perpetually appearing hot button issue on most programming, nightly news and social media nowadays

The rap music is obviously for the benefit of the target audience demographic, black males ages 18-40. As for whatever commentary there might be in this movie, I doubt it'll have much to do with American politics. This movie, from what little I could gather from the trailers, is going to be about a power struggle between to young men, both with claims to the throne. T'challa has assumed his whole life that his rise to the throne would be uncontested, but then an interloper (most likely the son of an exile) shows up to challenge his birthright. And there might be some validity to his claim, as he seems to have gathered supporters from within Wakanda to assist him in usurping the king-to-be. T'challa must now protect his birthright, and possibly the future of his kingdom, as this foreign interloper seems intent on changing Wakandas foreign policy to a more aggressive approach that favors monetary and territorial gains over staying isolationist.

Given that Black Panthers character was completely unconcerned with even mentioning American race relations even once, despite meeting quite a few African Americans and Caucasians, what proof do you have that this movie is going to spend two hours preaching to you? What logical sense would it make to inject American racial politics into a movie about a royal power struggle? What do you think Luke Cage was for? It seems to me that your paranoia about left wing politics has overridden your common sense and ability to reason. Go out, get some fresh air, and reevaluate your life.

Or kill yourself. Whatever works to bring you peace.

>people are worried about realism
>in a movie about a self-sufficient black utopia

>what proof do you have that this movie is going to spend two hours preaching to you?
Because its made by the some company who ruined Star Wars (again)

in this context, free form politics means free from politics that most of your audience in the western world, usa and europe isn't passionately divided on.

>rap music is obviously for the benefit of the target audience demographic
You do realize that there's a large white audience that also likes rap music as well.

Different creative teams, different priorities

>Can we have an honest discussion about this movie?
I'd love to because that's fucking impossible here

True

I find it funny it was released during the Obama Administration and after the NSA thing and nobody ever commented on that.

Theres whites who like rap music, but theres virtually no blacks who like anything that isnt rap music

>R&B

>what proof do you have that this movie is going to spend two hours preaching to you?

S-shutup you stupid tumblr cuck feminist sjw libtard jewish goyim sheep!

people did comment on it. And then we moved on to the next shitshow

Fifty Shades Freed will kill it
BP will be flop

Gospel.

This is what I'm listening to right now.
youtube.com/watch?v=ARXTbNxYHsA
My best friends listen to rap yes, but they also listen to The Temptations, Barry Manilow and the Beegees.
And we're all black

>"I don't know any black people"

> Soul and Funk

lol this ancient argument even Sup Forums mocked 10 years ago

The rap music was simply retarded, and completelly out of place, is an african movie not a afro america story

There's got to be at least some of this in the movie right?

youtube.com/watch?v=NVY8llXEIJM

It's a movie about a monarchial king trying to keep his throne from being taken by a usurper. This isn't "black lives matter: the movie", no matter how much Sup Forums insists otherwise.

If we used music invented by African societies the trailer would be dead silent.

How was Civil War or Iron Man 1 not political?

>Yet now one of them is looking like it's going to involve some serious real world political commentary
Really?

What about those tv-shows, like JJ. It was about rape.

Ouch, such edge

>tfw an animated series with a budget of 500 dollars can get the sounds and atmosphere of Wakanda right when a megacorporation can't

Very True. It'd have been an excellent chance to give African music some much needed exposure, maybe they could even have teamed up an American rapper really into Afrocentric culture with one of the continents many music troupes to get some original music. But Nope! rap. Ugh...I just hope that misstep won't be proven to be the first of many next month

black american director and writers because that means they have a better understanding of african culture

As entertaining as that counterargument is, I have precedent for being sure it won't be SJW commentary, from Civil War, where the character is introduced. Despite meeting many African Americans and Caucasians, he does not deign to judge their culture or their history. His only concern was avenging his father, and restoring honor to the throne. He's a very singleminded person

tl;dr: Black Panther does not have time for Americas shit

>one of them is looking like it's going to involve some serious real world political commentary
Hahaha, what?

Also yeah, you're right, Marvel movies never touched upon corruption, war, terrorism, or anything remotely political. At least not compared to *gasp* black people.

Whilst being black is not a given that they'll understand black African culture, from the aesthetic references to many African cultures I saw in the trailer, its shown they have been willing to do their homework

why do American blacks even try so hard to be tied to Africa? a black Brit is just a Brit, a black frog is just a frog. why is it that the one country that went to war over slaves that this divide persists so hard?

I dont agree with your point, but nice trips.

Nobody wants to be tied to anything most of the time, But those who do see Africa as their cultural and ancestral heritage, much like how some Asians see all of Asian history/culture as their connection to their family, and how some Europeans will trace their ancestry back a couple thousand years. Its something that stays solid, a constant reminder of family in times where anything can change.

I have no reason to believe it won't be a standard quipfest other than stupid yaas queen Buzzfeed shit trying to politicize it like they do to everything.

I also don't even know what TLJ did that made it so PC. I know there's a purple haired woman who looks like the leader of the resistance or some shit but no one ever gives concrete examples. I saw The Disaster Artist and Jumanji instead.

Its also the one country they had their asses kicked for CENTURIES. It's left them with a bit of a complex; they want a place to call their own, but they're too disdainful of Africa to want to immigrate. So they'll stay in the States and bitch. Which is probably just as well, I don't want them to immigrate here, look what happened to Liberia. They'll try pulling the same shit whites pulled on them on native Africans. No fucking thank you.

Liberia was such an amazing idea that ended, unfortunately, pretty much the only way it could have.

How was Jumanji?

Was it a sequel or a remake?

>Its also the one country they had their asses kicked for CENTURIES
blacks have gone their entire existence getting their asses kicked, it aint whitey's fault

I don't know about those guys, but West African empires had pretty good runs.

>blacks live in America and are enslaved
>when set free they are violent and evil and kill every non-black and ruin everywhere they live

>blacks live in Haiti and are enslaved
>when set free they are violent and evil and kill every non-black and ruin everywhere they live

>blacks live in South Africa and are just allowed in
>when allowed to casually enter white society they are violent and evil and kill every non-black and ruin everywhere they live

Remember in the 80's and 90's when people used to watch movies with predominantly Black actors and nobody gave a shit about political commentary when watching them?
I'm White as the driven fucking snow. That doesn't mean I can't and don't sit down and enjoy Friday or Coming to America whenever I catch them on TV.

I really fucking hate what social media and blog sites have done to people in the 2010's.

I really liked Fresh Prince's commentary on the pressure they can feel not from just outside, but inside the community as well. We need more films of people acting as people, not stereotypes.

>live in South Africa and are ALLOWED in
>ALLOWED, on their own land
Not only are you theives, you're the worst kind of thief, and entitled thief. They took back what was theirs. The white """South Africans"""" should have returned to Europe, where they belonged

>The white """South Africans"""" should have returned to Europe, where they belonged.
Oh the irony

No.

I'm in Ghana, where I belong, my ancestral home. Where are YOU? Where do you come from?

Post proof or quit roleplaying.

Can someone explain something real fast? The villain is supposed to be like a Wakandan isolationist/supremacist while Black Panther favors a more international point of view (like his father in Civil War), right? But isn't the villain also American, complete with an Anglo name?

>central saharan people who only showed up to the shorelines when whites built stuff there
>"their land"

Literally as retarded as suggesting native americans had claim to the entire U.S.

>>blacks live in Haiti and are enslaved
>>when set free
They never got set free, they rebelled when they were subject to probably the most horrid conditions of any population in history and the French then sent a military expedition that killed 2/3 of the population of the island.

The modern Blacks in RSA aren't even the native Blacks. The Portuguese are more South African than the Blacks in the RSA.

It was a fairly standard Rock adventure flick. Although it definitely had the "hip and modern" Sony touch, it steered away from using the video game theme as a vehicle for "geek" shit. Nobody will remember it in a decade but it was fun enough and I can see why it was popular.

I can kinda sympathize. Muh heritage is a big thing in America, and American blacks by and large don't even know where they came from. And they especially don't want to admit that their ancestors were probably the gutter trash of West/Central Africa that the rest of it (not exactly a developed region to begin with) didn't want, hence why they got sold to slavery. They can identify as a purely American ethnic group of course, which is probably the most accurate route, but how do you take pride in that history before maybe the last couple hundred years/ They need a founding myth of some kind just like """Irish""" Americans like to pretend.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution
>One thing is certain: Haiti became an independent country on January 1, 1804, when the council of generals chose Jean-Jacques Dessalines to assume the office of governor-general. One of the state's first significant documents was Dessaliness' "Liberty or Death" speech, which circulated broadly in the foreign press. In it, the new head of state made the case for the new nation's coherent objective: the permanent abolition of slavery in Haiti.

LITERALLY TEN DAYS LATER...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_Haiti_massacre
>The 1804 Haiti massacre was carried out against the remaining white population of native French people and French Creoles (or Franco-Haitians) in Haiti by Haitian soldiers under orders from Jean-Jacques Dessalines, who had decreed that all suspected of conspiring in the acts of the expelled army should be put to death.
>Squads of soldiers moved from house to house, torturing and killing entire families.[5] Even whites who had been friendly and sympathetic to the black population were imprisoned and later killed.[6]
>A second wave of massacres targeted white women and children.

Please don't pretend black Haitians were gentle slaves who dindu nuffin, you fucking faggot liberal dipshit. It astounds me how stupid people like you can be, read a fucking book.

>unironically posting historical myth
lol

>Surprised when slavers get their shit wrecked by their former slaves
Yeah but then you cumskins go MUH FREEDOMS every July 4th. I keep forgetting it's only just when whites do it.

>Squads of soldiers moved from house to house, torturing and killing entire families.[5] Even whites who had been friendly and sympathetic to the black population were imprisoned and later killed.[6]
>A second wave of massacres targeted white women and children.

Blacks will never see whites as anything but prey, especially whites who sympathize with or help them. We have countless historical references pointing to this.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution
Thanks for proving my point by linking to giant war that was fought to secure independence and resulted in the deaths of the vast majority of the island's population. The French were barbarians who didn't "free" shit, they had to be BTFO by the rebels and the Brits.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_Haiti_massacre
So, they did literally nothing wrong. They killed about 3,000 people, mostly from slave-owning families, right after the French had killed hundreds of thousands of civilians. Note how it was only the French who were killed. Poles and Germans were both spared, as the Haitians knew they had no connection to the French administration and in many cases didn't even want to be there.

French and Anglos are the ultimate dindu faggots.

>killing civilians and women and children for their whiteness is okay because slavery
Sup Forums was right yet again

Black people are dangerous, but the retarded white left that defends and enables them are even more dangerous

Wow that reply is really problematic. Mods please delete this?

The complaining over about 3,000 civilians being killed is downright hilarious when you remember that the French administration killed an average of 25,000 black slaves a year for several decades. They were importing about 30,000 a year combined with regular population growth and yet they still had a labor shortage and the Haitian population was below replacement rate. It was literally the deadliest place in the entire Western Hemisphere and possibly the world.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Haiti#French_Saint_Domingue_(1625–1789)
Why are French such complete babies?

>French kill 350,000+ blacks: LMAO BASED WHITES
>Blacks kill 3,000 French: OMG FUCKING NIGGER BARBARIANS

>killing civilians and women and children for their blackness is okay because we're white
Maybe if you hadn't spouted that shit for the last three hundred years...

>killing civilians and women and children for their whiteness
That's why no Germans or Poles were killed, right?

I'm really glad history keeps making niggers like you butthurt. When the race war comes you'll be hung up by your filthy coonskin necks and it will be aired internationally. There will be global applause the American niggers are all dead.

Not as prey no.
But as dangerous predators that need to be removed for our safety.
You know, kind of exactly like how you see then,

Stay butthurt, Cletus.

>abloobloobloo muh statues

>After the revolution, newly freed slaves were violently opposed to remaining on plantations, but Dessalines, like Louverture, used military might to keep them there, thinking that plantation labor was the only way to make the economy function.[43] Most ex-slaves viewed Dessalines' rule as more of the same oppression they had known during de jure slavery.[43] Dessalines was killed by a mob of his own officers in 1806.

Even the guy black Haitians elected leader used them for slave labor.

And they killed him for it. Your point?

>french allow slaves to succumb to the elements during slave labor
>compared to slaves going door to door and systematically killing people
>only for the slaves to then try to re-enslave one another

Blacks sell blacks to white to be used as slave labor, then rebel against the whites because they don't like slave labor, then kill all the whites (especially the children) and then blacks try to re-enslave every other black. If you think all that is solely or even mostly the white man's fault you are delusional. And I say this as someone neither white or black.

My point is Haitians were always retarded and realistically being slaves was the only time of prosperity they even had. And this was while they were dying in the fields.

>people trying to defend haiti of all things
didnt know the clinton foundation was still renting shills

>>french allow slaves to succumb to the elements during slave labor
>>buying and chaining people and then forcing them to work without sufficient food, medicine, or shelter, then watching as they die by the hundred thousand, before forcing more people to do the same thing, isn't really killing them

Jazz
Blues
Soul
Funk
R&B
Gospel
Electronic music
Reggae
World music
Ska

The Haitians were still infinitely better off after they booted out the French than they were before it.

>chaining people
literally didnt use chains of any kind
>without sufficient food, medicine, or shelter
shelter is one thing but this is the same landscape as the dominican republic, a place where you can find fresh flowing water and food with ease
>then watching as they die by the hundred thousand
if we watched africans die by the hundred thousand without sending them free gibs you would bitch about that too, as if its our fault
>The Haitians were still infinitely better off after they booted out the French than they were before it
absolute lel

Ghanaian citizen, born and raised. Our countries national anthem literally states that we protect our nation from foreign threats, and I intend to die here honoring that promise. I have no intention of ever going anywhere.
Pic related

>Captain America: Winter Soldier features a plot line railing against the surveillance state and the concept of preemptive military action for fear that bad men will use it to further their own agendas

barely, most of the movie was characters running around and punching people.

>muh race war
top lel

>enslave the chinese
>give them no amenities
>they figure out how to survive
>are now among the richest minority in the country

Inb4 the once lush tropical landscape of Haiti is more unforgiving than the barren wastelands of the American west

>absolute lel
Not an argument. The Haitian population was actually growing after the French were defeated while when the French ruled it, it somehow shrank despite the importation of 30,000 new slaves a year. The mortality rate was insane. Practically any condition would be better.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zq5S5sH1Ikk
Wrong

The vast majority of Chinese in the USA came over after WW2, there was no slavery then.

Black people not being embarrassed by this movie is proof of their retardation

You're calling whites dangerous predators?
All statistic evidence says otherwise

A brief history of Haitian leadership

>Dessalines
Black man elected on a "no more slaves" promise who then enslaved everybody. Was killed in an insurrection.
>Christophe
Did the exact same thing as Dessalines but offered slaves proper wages. The natives didn't care for this and shot himself, as natives were going to kill him in an insurrection.
>Boyer
Total nincompoop who freed every slave for real this time, resulting in Haiti reaching a debt equivalent to 19 billion dollars in the modern day because he didn't bother to set up an economy or actual government. Loans taken from white nations, never repaid.
>various American officials
The United States invaded Haiti because it was a shitshow. It occupied the place with the hopes to simply take all the natural resources blacks were too stupid to harvest and sell, which they did. Then they left

To this day slavery still exists in Haiti, being its most prominent economic facet next to dirt cookies. Haitians try to flee illegally to nearby nations constantly, trying to escape the "black paradise of Haiti." The lesson to be learned here? The French (whites) aren't the reason Haiti is a horrible shit hole, the Haitians are.