Storytime

Gears of war the rise of RAAM #1
Probably too early for a non big 2 comic

skorge > raam

Why do people like the Gears of War story so much? I played the first game. I got the seriously achievement. The story wasn't the point, at all. If you wanted a decent story, you already had Halo.
>Halo
>Good story
Pleb, it's as good as video game could be. I'm not comparing it to high-quality material.

>playing video games for the story

You're posting a comic about a video game story.

Damn, this guy is huge. Isn't Raam himself like 8 feet tall?

That's just because I'm a bit a characterfag and liked the game.

>That's just because I'm a bit a characterfag and liked the game.
And yet I'm posting in your thread being a retard. My bad. Enjoy the bumps.

You dig Halo? I'm just playing through Wars again and I miss it SO BAD.

never played it that much. I'm terrible at fps games

>never played it that much. I'm terrible at fps games
Halo Wars is the RTS. It just got ported to PC recently actually and it's such a good port.

The end, Thanks one user reading this. I will look into Halo wars

Thanks for storytiming!

thanks for storytiming this

Why is RAAM such a popular gears character? He shows up on a train and then you kill him

He also kills the guy in charge during the first mission and then blows some guy's head off in the mines. He's pretty popular for someone who only got three cutscenes.

>Vold
>Lieutenant

Raam is only a Lieutenant? I thought he was a general.

Halo had a lot more sci-fi feel to it, considering the different alien races, the space ships, the literal supersoldiers, plazma weapons, and the damn Halo itself. Also despite all hardships, you knew humanity had a good fighting chance, and Master Chief always saved the day.

Gears of War is more grimdark, and moves between horror, drama, and has a post-apoclyptic feel to it.
The locust themselves are more like mutant monsters with huge variety compared to the Covenant members that actually looked like members of different spieces woking together. You always has this feeling that humanity is fighting a losing battle, and it is really so.

The story overall knew when to hold it's cards, and when to show them. Like revealing the lambent and how they are not connected to the locust. Also it had plenty of dark, non-heroic moments that just screamed horrors of war. Like Thai, or the Carmine bros. I could really sympathize with their personal losses.

This comic is about Raam past

First boss which make it classic by today standards, the only other 2 interesting enemies is the guy with the chainsaw that almost kill Dixie (and by the third game they make 2 robot version of him) and the queen which by all we know she could be Marcus mom.

>This comic is about Raam past

His level of command in this comic is way past Lieutenant.

You're point doesn't really mean anything, the other two characters you mention are the big bosses of Gears 2 and 3, all three of which ended up pretty popular since they're the face of the Locust forces.

4 doesn't have a big unique Locust/Swarm, but it does make it seem like Myrrah isn't Marcus' mom. They gave her her own bloodline with Kait.

That was great. Thank you.

Cheers ears.

I hope raam got to see the giant worm before he died

I really like the bromance between Raam and Skorge

The cursing seems so out of place, like it's only happening because people expect it from a GoW comic.

Why didn't Microsoft get IDW to do Killer Instinct?

I can't find it comparable to Halo, despite the aliens vs humans in the near future deal.

Gears is likable because it plays out like a Schwarzenegger flick without being too corny. It's a good "male power fantasy" (can't believe I'm using that term) and simultaneously has horror and dramatic themes.

I love how dinky Myrrah is compared to Uzil.

Do the games still hold up?

I personally like them and Epic probably brought out the best in the Xbox's tech. Even though its a cover shooter try not to play too defensively. The best part of the game is leaping forward and doing insane shit. Like running up to larger enemy to slap them in the face with a grenade and leaping back right before it explodes. The campaigns really are long, playing 3 with 4 friends in a LAN party is one of my fondest memories.

>Why do people like the Gears of War story so much?
The novels are pretty good. They flesh out the characters a lot more and help flesh out the setting with tidbits like how fucking weird the government is and how the chainsaw attachment for the Lancet got created. Baird, Cole, and definitely Marcus really benefit from the extra interaction and backstory. Then there's all the fucked up shit involving the Pendulum Wars, and how shitty the COG had to be to survive the months after E-Day.

Depends who you ask, I guess.
I'm a very biased GOW fan, so I would say yes.
Still really enjoy all the campaigns and even continue to dabble in the multiplayer, which I personally don't generally do for most other games.

Part of it, I think, is that Raam had a presence. He's visually distinct from the other Locust troops, and his physical size coupled with his complete silence make him imposing. The first time you see him, he executes a character that up until that point had Plot Armor and couldn't die. When you fight him aboard the Tyrol Pillar, he's toting a weapon you haven't seen or used all game, and he's surrounded by fucking Kryll, which were previously a "touch this and die" obstacle that you had to navigate around. He was clearly designed from the ground up to be imposing and scary, and it largely worked due to how he was used in the game.

Also, Raam was a royal motherfucker to fight against. He's literally the only part of the first Gears game that I haven't gotten past on Insanity, and I strongly doubt that I'm the only one. Being such a roadblock in everyone's playing experience- along with the feeling of finally kicking his ass- is undoubtedly a big part of his popularity.

The primary weapon Raam uses is a Troika mounted machine gun which technically is a weapon you have seen/used prior but it's always mounted to the ground and it probably weighs as much as a small car, not trying to invalidate your point just wanted to point that out.