Marvels' Avengers: Infinity War Prelude #1

Marvels' Avengers: Infinity War Prelude #1

Holy shit this fucking art hahahahahaha

>prelude mostly covers the end of Civil War.
Fuck you, too, Marvel.

Okay, we're going to be getting into new content here

>spend time & money to make comic that's just a scene for scene retelling of movie's ending

forwhatpurpose.jpg

FOR WANDA AND VISION ON A DATE

So the MCU is really dumbing down T'challa huh

>storytiming a movie tie-in, instead of an actual avengers comic
damn user, you cucked avengers real hard

...what?

I'm glad the whole thing wasn't just Civil War stuff, next issue will probably half cover Homecoming though

First of all, why would you know what Tony was trying to do
Second, that wasn't what he was trying to do
They're really trying to push this "Wakandians are smart" shit

>its so much simpler than a shortcut
At least you can easily differentiate copy pasted movie lines from the original writer's input

Somehow made Scarlett Johanson look like Angelina Jolie.

James Gunn says the tie-in comics aren't actually canon
But what this suggests is Vision hasn't had the gem ripped out of his head in that scene from the trailer and is actually trying to look incognito
He's doing a piss poor job at it

>
>James Gunn says the tie-in comics aren't actually canon
1. No he didn't. He said the GOTG Comics we're not canon for him.
2. He does not have the authority to dictate what is canon and not.

He said they weren't canon because they contradicted the movie
So they could have the events rearranged

It looks like it covered about a month of shit that after civil war and Spiderman happened like a couple of months afterwards

How does this comic contradict the movie so far? Assuming this is the first comic.

Here's the summary Marvel gives
>THE THREAT FROM ABOVE! As a Master of the Mystic Arts, DOCTOR STEPHEN STRANGE has witnessed many unusual things…but none so powerful and potentially Universe-threatening as the existence of the INFINITY STONES! Don't miss a detail of the galaxy-spanning story featuring IRON MAN, THOR, CAPTAIN AMERICA, VISION, SCARLET WITCH and more, and make yourself an Infinity Stone expert before this summer's blockbuster film!
So they're probably gonna cover Thor instead

You think that's bad? The prelude for Spider-Man Homecoming was just a straight up adaptation of Civil War, including the parts that Spidey wasn't around for (and including the scenes this prelude adapted again). Plus the Thor Ragnarok prelude was just an adaptation of the Incredible Hulk movie (yes the one from 10 years ago, and they STILL drew him like Norton) and Thor: The Dark World.

By comparison, this one is actually fine. They could've chosen instead to waste it on an adaptation of Age of Ultron.

This doesn't contradict anything so far but if it contradicts anything in the movie then that's their fallback

Haven't you guys ever read these MCU tie-ins? That's what most of them are: just the movies in comic form. Except the Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange ones, which give some backstory.

They stopped doing original comic tie-ins a while ago, now it's just adaptations with barely anything new in them.

You got that Spider-Man Homecoming Prelude?

A no prize is that Nebula cut off a robotic arm

Whelp, it's canon. Cap knew Bucky did it the whole time. That puts that argument to rest.

Can Cap and Tony still end up together?

Pretty sure Tony only said "Did you know?"

Well, usually when the prelude comic is for a film introducing the character we get a new story. Iirc for Ant-Man we got an adventure of Hank Pym during the Cold War inflitrating a Russian base, which we see in an old film clip in the film. For sequels we would get an infinite comic with a new story and then two printed issues adapting the previous film. Then they stopped the infinite comics so we were only getting new stories for new franchises and adatations for sequels. The fact that we got any new content for this shows they're changing things up again.

He's explicitly talking about the airport battle
That's it
That's everything
Why didn't it just say WATCH CIVIL WAR ALREADY YOU FUCKING RETARD instead?

Why isn't Hawkeye's wife killing him?
He blew his kids off to commit treason

Way to change the dialogue, good thing these comics aren't canon.

He saw Zola's presentation which had Howard Stark's death included, of course he knew.

>The only time we can avoid pointless writer preference deviation, plot decompression, trending and agenda based narrative and get art (relatively) that largely speaks for itself in a (superhero) comic is when adapting from a 2 hour directed movie, itself adapting from the success of comics that are now leaning on its success
I finally see the light Sup Forums.
We shouldn't reject partial synergy, we have to embrace even further. 100% emulation
There's no other hope.
Make mine movies.

Wow, that IS dumb

Actually it contradicts something.
Steve arrives to the Raft in his civies, helmet off, face healed up, not in his uniform.
You could say it's just a visual inaccuracy, but still the implied time passed before Steve attempted the break in is lost.

>Light in his chest
I thought Tony had the original arc reactor removed?

That's not what was meant and you know it.

The movies are more canon than these comics. It's a similar deal to Star Wars where the movies are "super" canon while tie-in books and comics are canon too, but the movies hold presidence over the "lesser" canon.
It's just there to help fill in some gaps, and it doesn't even contradict Vision's gem as it obviously doesn't take place after/during Infinity War, why would he be missing the gem if this happens before?

He still needs to power the suit

>It's a similar deal to Star Wars where the movies are "super" canon while tie-in books and comics are canon too, but the movies hold presidence over the "lesser" canon.

Doesn't work like that anymore. That concept was abandoned 4 years ago. Now everything in Star Wars is equal canon. Shit in the movies actually has to adhere to shit established in the Comics, novels and cartoons now.

ok I like this page

>I'll have to figure out how I can do it alone.
About that...

The filmmakers are free to ignore or contradict the new material in these comics, but they do come from the MCU division so they don't completely contradict the scripts for the upcoming movies.

So the writer probably knows enough of the script for Infinity War to show us where the characters are when the movie starts.

Which makes me wonder why Wanda, Scott and Clint are freely associating with their loved ones instead of being fugitives on the run.

The suit hasn't needed an external (or in this case, I guess internal) power source for long term operation since AT LEAST Mark XLIII, and even before than, the Iron Legion operator just fine without Stark inside them.

Of fuck I really hate Thanos new design, he looks like a basketball player

bravo Russos

Clint's an easy one; nobody but Fury and the Avengers know where they live.

>Which makes me wonder why Wanda, Scott and Clint are freely associating with their loved ones instead of being fugitives on the run.
Being on the run doesn't mean literal running. It just mean staying off the radar in a place people don't know you will be. Scott likely just went back to Pym's lab, which is entirely hidden from authorities.

>So the MCU is really dumbing down T'challa huh
Just as Batman doesn't build his own Batmobile anymore, these days very few superheroes build their own gear. This is just modernising, with only pure super-genius heroes still making their own gadgets.

>They're really trying to push this "Wakandians are smart" shit
Not what it sounds like to me. More like "Wakandians are arrogant as shit".

>I thought Tony had the original arc reactor removed?
The fan theory is that Tony is working on something similar to Black Panther's nanosuit, and disguise it as clothing. This is because we see Tony realising he can't use his full suit everywhere, and needed some kind of backup like that repulser watch he used in Civil War. The hypothesis is that his hoodie in the Infinity War trailer is such a suit.

>Why didn't it just say WATCH CIVIL WAR ALREADY YOU FUCKING RETARD instead?
Because Marvel does NOT want to force anyone to watch old films to understand new ones. Civil War was really the one time they assumed you know prior events. It worked, so they are carefully allowing more that that. But the comic tie-in is to keep everyone up to speed.

>That Tony resting bitchface
>That >:( Bucky face
What is this art?

Howard didn't even give a shit about that shield tho, he was even surprised Steve picked it.

That said it's not like T'challa can't make another one, MCU Cap shield is not as unique as the comic one.

It's funny because he was the one who made DnA get back together after they split because he wanted them to write a Nebula and Gamora backstory comic to promote the movie.

I mean they all might as well not be canon, the Captain America: The First Avenger prelude comic got contradicted by Winter Soldier and the prelude to the Winter Soldier comic was contradicted by Civil War.

No one writing the scripts in Marvel Studios cares about those Marvel Entertainment comics anyway.

Yeah it's dumb but I will take anything that shits on Tony Stark.

i am really having vibes of riri williams
i hope the mcu dont go full sjw

I'm totally fine with some practiced, learned woman being smarter than Tony Stark, particularly because she actually built and uses her own tech.

The problem with Riri is that she's fifteen years old and had copied Stark's tech and he just ended up trusting her with it immediately (because if there's one thing Stark's known for, it's trusting strangers with his tech.)

This isn't even taking into consideration that Riri's ENTIRE CHARACTER would have made a lot more sense in every context imaginable ig it had just been Lila Rhodes, but alas, Bendis can't make royalties off a character he didn't create, so fuck whatever Marvel had planned for Rhodey's genius, teenage, niece that's shown she can pilot armor relatively competently.

>had just been Lila Rhodes, but alas, Bendis can't make royalties off a character he didn't create, so fuck whatever Marvel had planned for Rhodey's genius, teenage, niece that's shown she can pilot armor relatively competently.

i like riri but this is 100% correct and hilarious

>Rhodey's genius, teenage, niece that's shown she can pilot armor relatively competently
Not to mention already had Tony Stark's trust, unlike Riri.

To be honest the art isn't that bad. Its obviously the artist artstyle. Iy has a classic feel

He merely put two and two together. I don't think he ever got 100% confirmation, but he knew Bucky was the only real candidate, and to someone like Steve, that's practically confirmation right there.

What is this shit, why did they skipped Tony completely dominating Cap?

>What is this shit, why did they skipped Tony completely dominating Cap?
Because Tony didn't, FRIDAY did.

Tony is holding back haha

>About that...
The comics has Rocket being entirely unimpressed with Tony's armour. But a big part of that is because Rocket can obtain better technology by going to the local galactic hardwarestore.

Tony is basically limited by what tech he can build himself from scratch. Rocket is basically a few hundred years ahead of Tony in the kind of sci-fi scraps he gets to use.

Who was dumb enough to think otherwise

>i couldn't tie 2 things so it's not truth!!!!1

>>i couldn't tie 2 things so it's not truth!!!!1
That assumes that Hydra only has ONE assassin. We know Hydra has Buck as an assassin, but it is pure coincidence that out of the many killers in their employ, it just happened to be Buck.

"winter soldier"is in the title, it's not that hard.

Why are you guys acting like this art is bad? I like it

>"winter soldier"is in the title, it's not that hard.
That's not something Steve Rogers know about. He isn't Deadpool.

THIS ISN'T HOW IT HAPPENED IN THE MOVIE REEEEEEE

captain america infiltrated isis and corroborated the united states with them

>WANDA AND VISION ON A DATE

>Almost half the issue re-telling the end of Civil War
>Only one panel of this

You had one job, Marvel.

it's like I'm reading Moon Over June

>I'm totally fine with some practiced, learned woman being smarter than Tony Stark, particularly because she actually built and uses her own tech.
but she is not that, we do not see his growth in big screen.
she is just mart because reason of convenience.
i liked if she were humble and show respect to other genius. but nooo...
she gonna be
>muh wakanda, we better and smart dah brother ar th bes

>>muh wakanda, we better and smart dah brother ar th bes
Well yes. Wakanda is arrogant. What are you expecting?

I meant I'm totally cool with a new character we haven't met until now being on Tony's level or higher because she everything she's built has so far been isolated to Wakanda (who's technology is decades ahead of anything considered modern in the MCU to begin with) and of her own design. We have no reason to doubt any of this because Wakanda has hidden itself from the world up until now, so whatever tech Shuri has developed on her own until this point simply has no reason to be widespread.

That's a far cry away from Riri, who's basically a copycat we're expected to believe is smarter than Stark, even though she doesn't have a single original idea to her name and everything she does is basically just entrusted to her by Stark, WHO IS ACTIVELY HELPING HER USE AND MAINTAIN IT, so the whole "move over Stark, there's a new Iron Man in town!" attitude they debuted her with feels extremely ingenuine and hammy.

Also, she has access to vast amounts of Vibranium, something Stark does not, which probably contribute to her successes greatly.

>
>The filmmakers are free to ignore or contradict the new material in these comics, but they do come from the MCU division so they don't completely contradict the scripts for the upcoming movies.
>So the writer probably knows enough of the script for Infinity War to show us where the characters are when the movie starts.
>Which makes me wonder why Wanda, Scott and Clint are freely associating with their loved ones instead of being fugitives on the run.
Wanda and Vision are both on Scotland hidden away from public. With Vision being close to unrecognizable without his trademarked magenta skin and Wanda keeping low profile and using magic to hide those two are as off the radar as they can get.

Based on spoilers for the Ant-Man movie Scott is apparently in house arrest for this exact reason so maybe a deal was made with the government.
And Clint's location (as the other user commented) is only known to Nick Fury and the Avengers. You can make the case that Iron Man knows where he lives and can give him up, but I don't think he'll do that to be honest. Tony knows part of the reason they are on the run is because of his fuck ups, he is his friend so he still has some loyalty to him, and if he truly is retired and out of the way he posses no obstacle to Tony, the governments of the world and the New Avengers. In fact he is doing exactly what someone who didn't want to sign the accords would've done, retiring, so maybe even if the government knew where he is, they wouldn't get him or would keep close watch and wait for him to get the other fugitives so they apprehend all in one scoop

To add to what the other anons have said, this wakandan girl might not necessarily smarter than Tony in a smarts competition, but rather, with her being brought up in a nation with such advanced technology and research and having the best teachers available (she is the daughter of a king), she just knows more stuff. She can do things Tony can and more, yes for her intellect but also because of her education. I'm fine with this, but I'd rather really have her be a little bit behind Tony intellectually, but knowing more than him for those reasons. It adds merit to both characters, her because even though she isn't as smart as him, she is on par due to her effort and to Tony because even while not having the absolute best of circumstances growing up, he is still able to use his intellect to the fullest.

Tony Stark isn't even suppose to be the smartest man on Earth, anyway. it's just that all the other geniuses took their time to appear in a movie, with Pym really being the first. We are still waiting on Reed Richards.

Yeah, was at work. Here. There are SOME new scenes, lots of new internal monologue though

Marvel.com had an interview with the writer Will Corona Pilgrim (Marvel Studios’ Development & Franchise Executive)

Marvel.com: So, how far in advance does this story take place before “Infinity War?”

>Will Corona Pilgrim: Well, for AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR PRELUDE #1, since the SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING PRELUDE adapted a majority of the “Captain America: Civil War” film (from Spidey’s point-of-view), but had to cut out before the climactic hero battle (since Spidey was absent for that), Mark Basso and I felt it would be a great opportunity to showcase that Cap and Winter Soldier vs. Iron Man bunker fight as an action-packed kickoff into our INFINITY WAR PRELUDE.

>For PRELUDE #2, it’s mostly led by Doctor Strange and Wong so it’s taking place shortly after the events of his film, which was extra fun since I got to reunite with Jorge Fornés, my DOCTOR STRANGE PRELUDE artist on that one.

Marvel.com: Last we saw Tony and Cap in the MCU, they were butting heads over the Sokovia Accords. What’s the tension like between them in PRELUDE?

>Will Corona Pilgrim: Those wounds are definitely still pretty fresh. As I mentioned, in #1 we get to relive that particular butting of heads in truly dynamic pages by Tigh Walker and masterfully colored by Chris O’Halloran—and that tension is most definitely prevalent in how it informs how Steve and Tony’s decisions moving forward.