Modern culture

What do we about modern pop culture? Just look at some of the absolute tripe that counts for music these days. Repetitive ADHD inducing sounds, accompanied with messages about nihilism and promiscuity. Oh and ever see the videos for these songs? Most of them are filled with almost completely naked women just gyrating and making sexual motions.

When did our collective taste in art and aesthetics become so low brow? There is nothing lower and more disgusting than that which appeals to our most basic, primal sexual urges.

We are better than that, the story of human success is the story of great men overcoming thier most primitive urges, deferring gratification in order to achieve something nobler and greater. So why now does society promote and encourage that which appeals to our most basic instincts instead of something higher?

I mean seriously, look at the cultural values that were held by various European societies over a century ago: discipline, bravery, restraint. Now what are we told to aspire to? "Openness", "tolerance" and the big one "diversity".

Where did it all go so wrong and can it even be reversed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xhtG5YrQ-lY
rudy.negenborn.net/catullus/text2/e16.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=bHw4MMEnmpc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

teh joos

>Repetitive ADHD inducing sounds
Can you be a bit more concrete about this.

I am trying to figure out what effect modern music like Techno and Rap has to our psyche, with it's strong connection to unmusical elements, fast-paced rhythms and repetitiveness.

Well there is the weird theory about how the mhz standard was changed after the Nazis were defeated and supposedly music affects mood negatively now with this but Im not a musician or anything and dont know enough to verify this. anyone else familiar with this concept?

something to do with A440 or something.

I have to add: Most of Ancient and Reniassance literature also appeals to basic instincts. They are full with gratuitous violence, longing for vengeance and idiotic wars.

Just take a Shakespeare work for example: "I kill my own uncle, as a revenge, because he killed my father". Great lesson. Or "Emilia Galotti", the father literally commits a honour killing to his daughter.

the mcdonalds of music and culture

ADHD isn't real.

Aspie denialism again.

>Just look at some of the absolute tripe that counts for music these days. Repetitive ADHD inducing sounds, accompanied with messages about nihilism and promiscuity. Oh and ever see the videos for these songs? Most of them are filled with almost completely naked women just gyrating and making sexual motions.
Pop music has always been degenerate.

youtube.com/watch?v=xhtG5YrQ-lY

> Thinks old stuff is solely classy and "restrained"
> Hasn't read Catullus 16

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

rudy.negenborn.net/catullus/text2/e16.htm

ADHD is real, it's just overdiagnosed. There are hyperactive children, then there are actual people with ADHD.

I had severe ADHD as a child and never could concentrate and do any work, nor every listened to anything. It wasn't a lack of discipline, my parents were very strict and constantly tried to make me pay attention and eventually they gave up. Like, someone would be speaking to you and you wouldn't be taking in any information in.

Not everyone has devolved OP.

I'm personally looking for some full-sized Venus de Milo-esque statues (in concrete of course, I can't afford marble replicas) to put down in a clearing in my forest by the creek.
But they're still expensive.
We're not lost- we just have to share and educate friends. Media/Hollywood are overwhelming but simply experiencing classic art in person is very powerful

Classical and Medieval societies were aristocratic and hierarchical, which enabled high culture to develop. Modern societies are democratic and capitalist, meaning they are decentralized and cater to the lowest common denominator.

That's called being a retard

Problem sounds more like that your parents were first far too strict and after too lenient.

I didn't mean ADHD in the literal sense, I meant it in the way that songs now are designed to be as loud and as attention grabbing as possible. They really are, from an audio engineering perspective, most songs you hear in the top 40 are produced such that they are as loud and maximised as possible, leaving no dynamic range.

This is now a Sup Forums approved art thread

Relevant documentary on the issue "Why Beauty Matters" by English philosopher Roger Scruton:

youtube.com/watch?v=bHw4MMEnmpc

As I've said: If someone has more information/sources about this topic (modern music and human psyche), I'd be happy.