No thread for talking about Doomsday Clock ?

No thread for talking about Doomsday Clock ?

it's still bad and slow. another thing they missed about Watchmen, how dense it is.

The Marionette and Mime fight scene was good though.

I like they are using DC pre-52 universe, it´s the first time since convergence they brought it back.

I don't like how Johns and Frank came so close to understanding what Moore and Gibbons were doing with the covers, but ended up missing the mark completely

Doomsday Clock fucking sucks
this shit was doomed to fail the day they announced it was happening. Before Watchmen sucked too.

I'm sick of the JSA teasing, and adding new Watchmen characters is weird

I've been enjoying it. It's slow a fuck though. I really haven't understood hate around it beyond "muh watchmen." Does someone have a real complaint with it?

>No thread for talking about Doomsday Clock ?

That's because the previous one hit 600 posts hours ago

Johns is trying really hard to be like Daddy Moore, and failing. It's like he's following a Watchmen checklist rather than actually understanding what made Watchmen what it is, and the comic is worse for it.

Really enjoying it. The back up stuff with old DC universe like Tarantula is cool.

Someone can give me the tl;dr? just the spoilery highlights would be fine, dont feel like wasting my time reading this just for twists and spoilers.

i need annotations for that shit bc i'm not a jsa guy. I only recognized Sgt Rock and Ted Grant

>It's slow a fuck though

You answered your own question.

>Manhattan saved Comedian while he was falling to his death and brought him to Prime Earth
>Rorshaq was on the outskirts of New York when the squid happened
>Johnny Thunder was there
>Mime actually has invisible weapons
>Batman tricks Rorshaq into a cell in Arkham
The End

Manhattan saved The Comedian
Ozy and Lex are both hospitalized
Mime actually has guns and is looking for the Joker with his wife
Batman locks Rorschach in Arkham

and now mime and marionette are looking for the joker

Comedian didn't die, he got transported to the DCU by Manhattan.
Mime and Marionette are still looking for their son and it's likely their son is one of the three Jokers.
New Rorschach gives Batman Kovacs' Journal and tells him to read it. After reading it, Batman says he knows where to find Dr. Manhattan, in Arkham Asylum. but it was a ruse to trick New Rorschach into being imprisoned there because Batman thinks he's disturbed like the original Rorschach.

thanks anons, much appreciated

Care to explain what Moore was doing and how Johns missed it?

it's a direct sequel to watchmen, where several years have passed and the publication of rorshach's journal led to the peace that Ozymandias made unraveling, the world is about to blow itself up again. Ozy & a new Rorshach break out a few criminals that Ozy needs (for some reason) to go hunting for Dr. Manhattan, whom Ozy thinks has left this universe. They arrive in Gotham, at the end of the old DC universe, which is reaching a flashpoint itself because of revelations involving the supposed American manipulation of metagenes. The Watchmen universe characters split up at this point, which leads the new Rorshach basically immediately honing in on Batman (I assume because he immediately thinks of Bruce Wayne in similar terms to Veidt), Ozy trying to reach out to Luthor (and getting jumped by an apparently resurrected by Dr. Manhattan Comedian) and the two criminals getting bored and looking for the Joker.

Do you know what tl;dr means?

nigga that ending was HILARIOUS

what if the real delay for doomsday clock is for the trunks. since dc is a year in the future and supes isnt getting them back till april

>it's likely their son is one of the three Jokers
how?

it actually was. maybe the best part of the issue

The covers were actually symbolically and narratively significant, not just the first panel but zoomed in a bit. Johns grasped that the covers are Page 1, Panel 1, but missed that he had to make the first thing you see one of the most important.

What the fuck does a smashed bottle of vodka have to do with the story of Doomsday Clock #3?

the fight between comedian and ozy?

Kid likely got sent with Manhattan to the DCU

The John Law accused of murder at the back up is old hero Tarantula, his ex mentioned to is JSA Liberty Belle, the big actor having a kid scandal is Doom Patrol Rita Farrs father. The boxer wedding was a friend of Rock. The detective investigated the actor murder was in Detective Comics 1. The writer of the fake gossip column was a real gossip writer back then as well as the directors, crime family and some others are real people. Verner Brothers are Warner Brothers.

no, the vodka bottle smashing is something that HAPPENS in the fight. That's the point. It has no symbolism or narrative importance.

I ironically think this is a good idea. Crazy origin for a insane villain.

>Verner Brothers are Warner Brothers

Johns that is just unforgivably lazy

no see Victory is broken meaning that nobody is gonna win or something?

there's not even writing in that first panel, it's just that shot

>What the fuck does a smashed bottle of vodka have to do with the story of Doomsday Clock #3?

Shattering expectancy via the reveal that The Comedian isn't dead? idk

>lazy
How?

They did that a few times in Watchmen, but that's because the imagery spoke for itself. In Doomsday Clock, it's really just indicative of the overall flaw of the comic, i.e. Johns is following a Watchmen checklist rather than understanding the meaning behind it.

I think it's pretty solid so far. It's not as dense as the original, but I like the direction the story is going in, and Gary Frank's art just beats the absolute shit out of Gibbons'.

>Gary Frank's art just beats the absolute shit out of Gibbons'.

all this story is happening before new52 and rebirth and will end with manhattan meddling with dc to make the new52

Starting to get worried that this series is turning away from "This Is Why DC and Watchmen Shouldn't Mix" to "HEY! ISN'T MIXING WATCHMEN WITH DC TOTALLY AWESOME?!"

wat

what about the johnny thunder stuff? it's building on rebirth 1 which is clearly set in current DC

I prefer ambiguous joker origins. Something nice about a insane character having a vague origin to vary his personality in a specific piece of work.

Comical joker: comical villain who fell in a toxin chemical bath.

Serious fucked in lunatic joker: Abusive parents and childhood scarring

and so on. So I guess this could add to the story if done properly.

I love Dave Gibbons, but a lot of what makes Watchmen so good is how tight the script is, not how good of an artist Gibbons was. Frank's art is just aesthetically nicer. Like, look at what happens when you pair Gibbons with someone who isn't that amazing of a scriptwriter, like Millar. The Secret Service looked generic as all fuck.

Any summary is a tl;dr, idiot. The "tl;dr" refers solely to the source material.

No, the Verner Brothers being Warner Brothers is from old Blue Devil comics.

i take it back then.

Gibbons knew better how to make use of the 9 Panel layout
far too many times nothing really happens in the panels Frank draws

moore wrote that detailed a script bc he knew gibbons could pull it off. the book is great bc of them both

Cool. Didn't know that when writing up the notes of the backup. Also forgot that the fake detective movies are based on detective stories DC did.

Because you're a contrarian faggot who only hates the comic because you want to.
>it's only bad when you think Johns did it
Fuck off fag. Either stick to your opinions and call Blue Devil lazy shit or admit you have no opinions of your own and just go with what's the popular thing to hate.

My standards for a huge event by DC's biggest names like Doomsday Clock are different than my standards for 80s fare like Blue Devil.

also i dunno if Blue Devil was as straight 40s Hollywood as this stuff is.

As long as Walter isn't alive too. Oh god, they are going to make him Joker too, aren't they?

You change your standards so you can justify hating on whatever is cool to hate because you're a piece of shit unable to have your own opinions.

Manhattan transporting Comedian to the DCU certainly opens the door for Kovacs to be alive

>Any summary is a tl;dr
No. No, it is not.
>The "tl;dr" refers solely to the source material.
TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ you fucking mongoloid!

See, the problem with that is you're judging Verner Brothers as an original idea here, whereas you should be treating it like an older idea that's being used again.
I think that fact that he requested to be killed means he's for realsies dead. I feel like Manhattan would have obliged him.

kovacs is the question from the trinity of sin

It was good, I liked the issue though the Mime and Marionette skills were taken from an anime released the same year but concluded before Doomsday Clock #1

Faggots insisted last month Mime didn't have an invisible weapon but here we are, be had the gun as I told Sup Forums he was gonna have one and knives too

>its slow
Nigga its a gonna take at least til 2019 for it to finish. Just wait for trades.

The Carver Colman murder mystery actually has me interested. Old time Hollywood detective stuff is pretty neat.

I feel so sorry for Johnny.

I wonder if they want Brubaker working for them that badly

The end materials are some of the best stuff. Reading about Metamorpho and his villains last issue and Israel being the country holding back Watchmen world unity in issue one was some of the most interesting stuff.

It's kinda funny how the back up here references Rita Farr when they're looking for her in Doom Patrol.

This going to be another thread where some dumb animefaggot screeches that Johns stole shit from some literal who anime just because Mime points his finger like a gun?

>Johnny Thunder
>noir
>grand-daughter
hmn

You're wrong.

>Comedian didn't die, he got transported to the DCU by Manhattan.

but we see a big splotch of blood beneath his window where he fell, and Rorschach mentions autopsy results in the original comic

Jon found a way.

but it had superman's parents die the same way nu52 supes' parents died

>Jon retconned Jor-El's death and 10 years of continuity
>he can't retcon Blake's death

Yeah I don't know what that user is talking about. this takes place a year in the future of the current DCU.

something will happen to the johnny thunder from doomsday clock that will make him remember in rebirth.
Look at batman suit, is not from rebirth or new 52, is the batman inc suit before flashpoint

NOOO! Johns is an innocent soul of God! He didn't do it bwaaaa

Why's Blackschach bleeding?

he's crazy and hallucinating

Either he has a head wound from the Squid attack or he's cleaning to hard.

There's a giant naked blue walking plot device as a major character

Yeah that bugs me so much! Grant Morrison, who hates Watchmen, understood it enough to do an original take on the cover-1st-last panel idea in Pax Americana.

The covers were an important focual point, that also ended up leading directly into the first panel of the story on the first panel, so the panel was a part of the story. Normally zooming in on to an important element. Then the last panel on the final page ends with a shot of that same panel, though most of the time now with the opposite meaning or intention. For example one issue has the statue of the original Nite Owl as the cover and first panel then the last panel is the same statue but covered in blooded.

Also nearly all the panels has the hidden motif of either the smiley face or blood splatter hidden in either the reflection or raindrop, etc.

I was kind of liking it the first 2 issues but I didn't think this was enjoyable. Art-wise, I feel like it's very limited. Gary Frank isn't a 9-panel grid kind of guy. He's an amazing artist, but rarely do the panels speak for themselves like they did with Watchmen. This might be on Johns, too. I haven't read his scripts so I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that he doesn't go into depth on panel structure or anything. Even Frank seems to be getting tired of the layout. He's starting to diversify his panels more and he's trying to incorporate bigger spreads behind the panels. Like I said before, this formatting does not suit him nor the story being told.

And this complaint is more subjective. I don't like Mime having legitimate superpowers. What made Mime and Marionette fun before was that they were the straight men to nu-Rorshach and Ozzie's dynamics. They were criminal sociopaths, but the fact that they were just some common criminals with a gimmick made them fun. In addition, it takes away the fun of Mime pointing his hand at people. Before, the humor came from the fact that Mime was so serious about nonexistent guns. Like "haha, this guy thinks his imaginary guns are real." Making them real weapons just ruins those scenes. Of course, this is just my opinion. I understand why some people would prefer Mime like this.

My biggest complaint about this issue was John's subtlety. It's nonexistent. Shit like a character saying "I can't see their face" followed by a panel of Rorshach. Get it guys? Cause he's wearing a MASK!

There were other things I didn't like about the issue too. I don't like that nu-Rorshach was able to survive the squid. I don't like Comedian coming back. I don't like the Joker as a character so I'm disappointed he's going to be in the story. I don't like that Johns thinks people unironically try to tell lightbulb jokes at open mics. And I thought the noir tv segment was pretty cliched and dull.

I like Joker's stories so I want to see what he's going to do with all this, I'd prefer a more serious story with the Joker since the war of the jokes and the riddles had a bad writing in my opinion but at least I don't want some strange thing like Joker being Mime's son

Watch it be a red herring and their son is actually Punch.

you know, Marionette said something kind of reminded me of Harley

>the joke is on us

I wouldn't say he hates Watchmen, just dislikes the tone it takes in regards to superheroes

I don't think Rorshaq was at ground zero of the squid, just on the outskirts of the city

What was the symbolism of the dusty goggles in watchmen?

The issue is all about Dan and his sexual hangups revolving around his superheroing, with Archie usually acting as a symbol for Dan.

also you've got the "blood smear" motif going on

It's absolute SCHLOCK and I love it

I'd like it more if Johns embraced it and just made a big dumb Geoff Johns event, instead of trying to ape his betters.

yeah no one's even lost an arm or gotten a surprise back stab yet

It's like I WANT to get mad at Johns every time he tries and fails to emulate Moore, but then we get shit like Batman locking the door behind Rorschach or Mime's gun, and I remember I can't really hate him. He's a hack but he's my hack dammit.

>I don't like that Johns thinks people unironically try to tell lightbulb jokes at open mics
Who gives a shit? If it's actually funny and delivered competently, then they've earned my laugh. Nothing worse than stand-up snobbery

apparently that comedian is a dude who's friends with Moore.

so now i do think DC is trying to piss him off for some reason

There have been several IRL Moore acolytes sprinkled throughout

mime and marionette were my favorite thing

Issue 4 and 11 are outliers, as they were panels 9 and 2 respectively.

11 was a last minute change for aesthetic reasons and 4 is nonlinear as fuck and therefore happened all at once.

Fuck off already.

I'm the opposite. I found issue 1 to be slow and trite, while this issue used the page layouts to greater effect in transitioning storylines and plot parallels.

>I don't like that nu-Rorshach was able to survive the squid.
He didn't. If you look that isn't the squid in person he sees. He's out and the squid image is transparent obviously from the psychic projection from the common many suffered from.

Who's the dude in the nursing home?