ITT stupid misconceptions you used to have as a kid

ITT stupid misconceptions you used to have as a kid.

When I was little I thought Wolverine's name was X-man.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eWTJIBGNId0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>thought wolverine was the X-Man
I don't know why, but this is killing my sides. That's funny as shit user.

I remember watching G.I. Joe and trying to figure out which character was G.I. Joe. I assumed Sgt. Slaughter was G.I. Joe because he appeared in a live action segment at the start of episodes so that must have meant he was the title character.

I thought Tails was a tomboy girl in the 90's Sonic cartoon, at least until this episode aired and realized I was wrong.

Most people actually believe that.

So how often do you make this thread? Once a month?

Yeah, my little kid mind reasoned that since he was the most iconic of the franchise, it was named after him.

Also, I thought he had mild electricity powers because of the opening and arcade game.

I haven't before, sorry if it's been done before.

More like every two weeks.
And don't pretend you don't make this thread repeatedly. It's word for word the same, with the same OP pic.

I'm sorry I've offended you somehow. I'm on here way more often than is healthy these days, and I haven't seen a thread like this before.

My mom told me that the comic strip is called Peanuts because the characters are all peanut-shaped.

I believed her for years.

To be fair, there IS an actual character named Joe who's supposed to be the founder of the team. I don't think he appeared in the 80's show though.

Your mom is a bitch

In fairness to you there IS a character named GI Joe who's supposed to represent the really big original action figure from the 70s

Thing is, I don't think she was fucking with me. She legitimately thought that was why.

I thought he was Sonic's brother.

I think I might have heard Sonic calling him "bro" or something and I just took it at face value.

I thought Flower was a girl because he had eyelashes and was really cute.

I had similar difficulties.

I thought Wolverine's last name was Wolverine

I thought Wolverine had electric powers because of the cartoon intro. I mean, sure, the claws are cool. But ELECTRIC CLAWS? Shit, son.

For some reason, my brain had the concept of secret identities backwards. I thought superheroes lead secret double-lives as civilians. I have no idea why I came to this conclusion.
When I became aware of the concept of there being other dimensions, I immediately made the logic jump that clearly, we already had the technology to reach other dimensions, and that we used this advanced technology specifically to film cartoons in dimensions that they were real.

I was not a clever child.

That's deep.

On related note.
I thought Kingping operates in Empire State Building when I watched Spider-Man cartoon. I don't even know why I thinked that.

>*thought that
Hory shit

I thought Dr Quest and Race where a couple back when I was little and didn´t know about how marriages worked like. I belived that if you where a couple of adult living with a kid that made you married.

>For some reason, my brain had the concept of secret identities backwards. I thought superheroes lead secret double-lives as civilians. I have no idea why I came to this conclusion.

Actually that isn't off for many superheros. One could even say Clark Kent, at least the adult version, is entirely a disguise.

>When I became aware of the concept of there being other dimensions, I immediately made the logic jump that clearly, we already had the technology to reach other dimensions, and that we used this advanced technology specifically to film cartoons in dimensions that they were real.

There is a trope that basically paints creative people as psychics(?) who are in tune with other dimensions, and that's how we get the more fantastic parts of our media. I've seen it a few times in movies/cartoons/TV shows; actually several times in superhero related things. Maybe kid you saw one of these examples and was influenced by it?

Before I watched the movie I thought Flash Gordon had something to do with DC's Flash.
At least I knew Flash Thompson was a different guy.

I blame the voice they gave him in the old animated series.

I thought Silver Surfer became the fifth member of the Fantastic Four and they became the Fantastic Five.

To be fair, the Chrysler Building's name is a lot less spoken in kid's stuff.

>Superman could poop solid air, because he uses the sun's rays like a plant.
>Wolverine could make electric sparks with his claws
>Spider-man had tiny fingers on his fingers and toes
>Terrorsaur was always sick and couldn't do higher pitch screams right

I thought the Joker came from a playing card and would go back into it when he was beaten.

i thought batman's yellow logo looked like teeth

Same here.

For some reason, I thought Dexter and Dilbert were based on Drew Carey.

>Maybe kid you saw one of these examples and was influenced by it?
Possibly, though I wouldn't know where it would have been.I actually wasn't super big into superheroes as a kid,
Speaking of Spiderman, I was under the impression that any superhero who's name ended with "-man/-woman/etc" was a DC character, and every character who didn't have a name like that was Marvel. Spiderman, for some reason, was one of the only exceptions to this, because I thought he was a part of his own universe which he shared with the Fantastic Four.

Yep. The commerial that aired a couple months before the preimereu convinced my friends and me he'd get some kinda laser claw upgrade so we adjusted accordingly. Playing X-Men for the next few months, pretend or figures, wolvie had laser claws. We were a little deflated ultimately.

>Kingping

we all did back before the official release of the game

I think Tweety got reconned into being a girl.

Yeah that voice did not help matters

>user is a natural-born SJW
Now I've seen some shit.

Maybe this counts, because I JUST realized this...

>"Miles 'Tails' Prower"
>"Miles Prower"
>Miles Per Hour"

I thought Superman was "Bullet Proof".
As in, immune to bullets.
Not just most damage generally, I thought he was immune to guns, and only guns. Whenever the baddies had ray guns or flame throwers or whatever, I was positive Superman was fucked, so all those cartoons were way more tense for me. I somehow never put it together that him shrugging off all kinds of damage showed that he was just really tough.

I appreciate you both giving me the benefit of the doubt, but the fact of the matter was I was either 5 or 6 years old and might have been retarded. I got better, though.

X-men TAS made me think psychic powers were completely useless.

I thought Jean Grey had no powers besides passing out and moaning and everybody loving her for some reason.

Everyone did.

He is Sonic's adoptive brother.

I thought Professor X was a villain at first (because he was bald)

>In b4 he is

This but Fantastic Four.

I thought Gambit’s power was to create cards

I got this Punisher toy back in the early 90s when I was collecting the Toy Biz X-Men action figures. I was little and assumed that every superhero HAD to have a super power, and since I wasn't familiar with who the Punisher was, I assumed his super power was the ability to pull any gun out of his trench coat whenever he wanted it.

Also, that flimsy plastic trench coat was fuckin rad, same as the one on the Toy Biz Gambit figure.

Head of the Yakuza.

>Flash could run so fast he could literally walk on air. He also could breath in space because he was faster than the lack of oxygen getting into his lungs.

>Hell's Kitchen was the literal kitchen of Hell, and Daredevil was an actual demon who wanted to help people. He was "Daredevil" because he was a devil that dared to be good.

>Spider-Woman was Spider-Man's girlfriend.

>Wolverine and Beast were brothers because they had similar hairstyles and Wolverine was really close to Beast in the Spider-Man/X-Men TAS crossover.

>Wolverine and Hawkgirl were somehow related because of their similar masks.

>Hawkgirl could talk to birds.

>Morph mattered in the comics.

>Jim Carrey played Two-Face in "Batman Returns", because he had his own face, but wore a mask over it, ergo, Two-Face. He was also a different character from Edward Nygma because he had red hair and Nygma didn't. Tommy Lee Jones was the Joker.

>The Iceman Cometh was a villain that was supported to appear in "Batman and Robin", but never did. Also, Bane was the Hulk.

>The black market was an actual market.

>>Hell's Kitchen was the literal kitchen of Hell, and Daredevil was an actual demon who wanted to help people. He was "Daredevil" because he was a devil that dared to be good.
I would read the fuck out of that

I don't read marvel and i thought this until i read your post

I thought Karai from TMNT was an original character from the Tournament Fighters games

For the longest time, I thought Superman's symbol was just weird yellow shapes inside a weird red pentagon. It wasn't until my late 30's that I realized the yellow parts were forming the "S" in the middle.
Even to this day, I still see the yellow shapes instead of the red S.

What's it like to live with autism?

It sucks, I hate it, and I want to die.

I thought that Bill Sikes from Disney's Oliver and Co. was a legitimate law abiding businessman. He wore a suit and drove a nice car. I didn't know that he was a criminal, and couldn't understand why he was behaving so threateningly.

Until I was a teenager i didnt knew the symbol on supermans chest had an S in it, i thought it was just a random looking cool symbol.

>Jane and Clayton were Tarzan's mom and dad, and at the end Tarzan killed his dad and married his mom.

this fits
youtube.com/watch?v=eWTJIBGNId0

>on plane to america
>father lived here before, got our visa set up and came to pick us up
>barely spoke/understood english
>4 years old
>in flight entertainment is on
>it's Batman Beyond, just the pilot
>kept watching on repeat
>"Daddy, I wanna watch Blackman again"
>OK sonny, just don't talk so loud
>visibly nervous

I thought the gulf war was in the gulf of mexico. Hey folks quick question: where can I download new marvel cartoon episodes? I can find plenty of streaming sites but no torrents.

>be me, like 7
>friend lends me spider-man comic
>see the name 'black tarantula' mentioned
>also watching 90's spidey show at the time
>venom comes along
>"It's the Black Tarantula!"
literally no idea why.

Bruh you just blew my mind

wat

my 7 year old daughter thinks almost the same thing. She calls black suit spiderman "Black Ice" because someone was talking about "icing" spiderman in one of the kid's books and she conflated it.

In Gi joe I thought Snake Eyes was the one in white and Storm shadow was the black one. I blame the cobra logo for throwing me off

>G.I.

I prsumed G.I. meant "Global Infantry," since it was the most tacticool-sounding thing I could think of at the time.

I thought Lex Luthor was a black guy

Makes more sense for the series than "general infantry"

When I was little I thought comicbooks were a stupid waste of time reserved for dorks so i spend my time playing with friends instead.

Soon user, soon.

I thought it was Government Issue, because that's where they got all their shit.

...Why is it called Peanuts?

Wait this bitch was a boy?

I thought the Green Lanterns were a race of aliens because of that Justice League episode where the Alan Scott stand-in character said that John Stewart was a 'credit to his race'.

I thought Wonder Woman was Superman girlfriend, when I learned she wasn't I was pretty bummed out.

I used to think that Slade was Robin from the future.

lol, time to get off the laptop son

I thought the Kingpin was a mutant with low-grade super strength. Not car-tossing strength, more like punch hard enough to leave a fist imprint in steel strong.

to this day I think he SHOULD be a low level mutant like that. It makes sense why nobody has tried to take his criminal enterprise away, especially together with his cleverness

Wait. That's a fucking guy? 'Nermal' sounds feminine.

>When I was little I thought Wolverine's name was X-man.
Same.
With all the other superhero names:
Super-man
bat-man
aqua-man
spider-man
iron-man

It just fit the theme.

I unironically kind of wish this was real. It sure would make Punisher that much more interesting if he could never really be disarmed so long as his hands were free to reach into a pocket/drawer/coat to pull a weapon from gun-space

I didn't get it as a kid either. I thought that the homeless dude was just an asshole that was pushing this suited man too far. I was pretty ignorant seven year old but that one thought fostered in me until I became an adult male. I still, on some small subconscious level, despise the homeless man despite him having a legitimate heart of gold and being supportive and never giving up on those mutts.

Also driving a car on train tracks looked fucking cool.

When I was 5-6 I used to think cartoons had to be remade from scratch whenever it was dubbed into another language.

Wait, Tweety isnt a girl?
Seriously, I'm 33 and I'm just now finding this out??

I didn't get it as a kid either. I thought that the homeless dude was just an asshole that was pushing this suited man too far. I was pretty ignorant seven year old but that one thought fostered in me until I became an adult male. I still, on some small subconscious level, despise the homeless man despite him having a legitimate heart of gold and being supportive and never giving up on those mutts.

Also driving a car on train tracks looked fucking cool.

Same. The Punisher arcade game cemented that for me. Punisher should be a guy that can put his fist through a wall and be completely numb to the pain. Maybe bend a steel girder with enough exertion. I wouldn't want him to punch buses off the street as you said but specifically street-level strength would make his build that much more intimidating.

It'd also make his fights with Daredevil and Spider-Man and the like so much more dramatic. Well, less so for Spider-Man since he could just out-range and out-dodge Fisk [at least an experienced Spider-Man can.] But for someone like Frank? Facing Fisk 1v1 is a death sentence. Or should be in my mind.

I used to think Spider-Man would swing off of clouds whenever he was outside considering the crazy angles he could swing in.

>I thought Kingping operates in Empire State Building
You know too much.

The PS1 game made me think Spider-Man's weakness was water.

That's fucking hilarious. The imagery alone makes me laugh.

not Sup Forums character, but same problem for me

At the time I thought it was kind of neat to have a female super villain

I thought he was Batman testing Robin. I think a lot of kids did.

I made a similar mistake with Knuckles. I thought the dreads on Knuckles were just her long-bob hair style
Then I learned how to read and read the manuals.

I thought Inspector Gadget was a robot. And thats why he sometimes got so easily confused, because he was a robot who wasn't programmed to handle every kind of situation he found himself in

I'd look at cartoons and never had an issue with watching white characters. But I'd rarely see my own race reflected. It never stopped me from loving those shows and shit but as a kid I'd sometimes choose one of the characters, examine their design and their attitude and then deem them as "the black one". Like Knuckles from Sonic. Or Piccolo from Dragon Ball. Yeah, the 'alien' out of a lineup I'd sometimes I'd dub "the black one". Like Martian Manhunter. Lex Luthor was also an admittedly very small leap--dude looked like a goddamn NBA player. Beast from X-Men--until Bishop showed up. Though Bishop looked more like a mexican than anything else to me.

Half the time I did it out of fun. Like if Bugs Bunny were real and a human would he be Italian or Jewish? Shit like that. But other times I found myself doing it just so I could have someone or something to connect to.

Fucking hell lmao