Alt-comics general

Just wanted to start a thread for sharing what you're reading and what you're buyin.

I saw the BLAST story time was up so thought it was a good as time as any to start this thread up.

Pic related is from a comic called Soft City by Hariton Pushwagner, I'll be dumping just some pages with source on some interesting comics I've read over the years, feel free to ask more about them or post your own.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/3661980-my-boy
tangocruzado.blogspot.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The book of leviathan- Peter Blegvad

The Tickling- Renee French

All of her work has a very similar style and it's all very uncomfortable, this one is about a disfigured child and their father.

Arsene Schauwen- Olivier Schrauwen

Jesus, this comic was story timed here once a while back and I can't thank them enough for doing it. Basically when you hear that something was like a fever dream, this is written like one about a character having one.

I wold start by My Boy though.

Paying for it- Chester Brown

The tamest of the comics I've posted so far, an auto biographical retelling of one of my favorite artist shift in life from conventional relationships to prostitution.

No head of Richard Nixon?

BLAST- Emmanuel Larcenet

Mainly a shout out to the story time, very interesting comic that funny enough killed my motivation to write a bit because I was writing a similar story, and then they did it better than I ever could.

I've never read that, Arsene was the only work of his that I've seen, is that his main work?

Stitches- David Small

This one is by a children's author funny enough but it is completely gut wrenching. I wish I could add more but honestly the impact works best when you read it yourself and I'd hate myself for taking that away from someone.

Human diastrophism- Gilbert Hernandez

This is off the love and rockets series that a lot of people know, this one follows a multiple generation story through this town with many twists all in a very authentic genuine story from favorite Hernandez brother.

nawlz.com

goodreads.com/book/show/3661980-my-boy

Poor Bastard- Joe Matt

Part of the same alt comic trio group as Chester Brown, this comic is self admitted biased retelling of a portion of Joe Matt's life where just puts right in the middle of the comic that he punched his girlfriend and blamed her for it. It's a great read.

I've never seen this, is the whole project online or is there physical release?

Thanks man!

I killed Adolf Hitler- Jason

One of his main works, it's a pretty interesting drama from an artist I wouldn't expect sci fi from, basically the best use of a time machine I've seen.

Let´s add.
Stan Caiman by Francios Thomas.

Red Colored Elegy- Seiichi Hayashi

This one is Japanese but it's not really a manga by any conventional means and fits more in this kind of environment. A story of a brooding artist and their broken relationship

Young Albert
Adolphus Claar
Freddy Lombard
Bob Fish
by Yves Chaland

Pretty please, leave that in Sup Forums.

RanXerox- Liberatore and Tamburini

What's it about? Kinda gives me a Condorito vibe
It doesn't really fit there at all, and is published primarily in Quebec through Drawn and Quarterly.

Last Look- Charles Burns

Most people are familiar with Blackhole by Charles burns but I'd like to suggest his other work here which I've come to enjoy more than blackhole.

Trip to Tulum
HP and Guiseppe Bergman
Indian Summer
by Milo Manara (w/ Fellini, Pratt

Asterios Polyp- David Mazzucchelli

Interesting comic that comes in close to tone and design to that Arsene Schauwen comic I posted earlier however more conventional seemly personal.

My Favorite Thing Is Monsters from last year was pretty great.

Art done on what feels like sketches in a journal makes the art seem all the more impressive to me (like seeing a band good enough to be on radio in a live performance and being blown away like "wow they really are that good").

Stan Caiman- A french comic about a dandy caiman his search for money and ladies

No. There are ten boards for manga, one for comics.

Caboto by Mattiotti, Zenter

Another page from it.

I'd feel like it's an easy sell if you wanna convince a friend/family that there's more to comics than superheroes. Especially with the story that the creator of this was completely paralyzed by the wast nile virus and she decided to make this comic as part of her physical therapy.

Report on blindness by Sabato, Breccia

>but it's not really a manga by any convention
lol
it's manga, dumb-dumb.

The Cthulu Myth- Breccia, Buscaglia

It's an independent comic originally from 1971, and released by a Canadian company in full English and read left to right like a comic, the only thing manga about it is the author is Japanese, in tone, design, and demographic it's similar to the works I've already posted, some of these works are even published by the same company. I'm not arguing this anymore

Killing an Dying- Adrian Tomine

Interesting comic that really plays with your emotions in interesting ways, always intense, and never what you expect.

It was published in Garo, numbnuts. Do you think every manga that gets licensed and released in english magically becomes a comic?

Again no. It is manga. Take it to the proper board.

Mort Cinder by Oesterheld, Breccia

thanks for the interesting thread OP. Bump

La revolte d´Hop-Frog by David B., Blain

I'm done for the night, it's 4 in the morning, hopefully the thread will be here when I get back, love seeing works I haven't seen before.

Mother, Come home- Paul Hornschemeir

From what I've gathered this is his main work, I've also enjoyed his comic three paradoxes. This comic is about a child and his father dealing with grief.

Pampa (1-3) Zenter, Carlos Nine

Have a nice sleep.

I think this one was a bit overhyped. The story was too conventional and tame to match its style

That´s why I suggested My Boy.

Tango Cruzado by Aguirre, Dufour

tangocruzado.blogspot.com

Bump

A last parting post.

El patito Saubon by Carlos Nine

Hope this holds for some time.

>Carlos nine
Found out about him couple months ago.Really love his paintings

>This thread

Philippe Druillet always delivers wonderous works.

previous (somewhat) similar thread
i would like to buy some corto maltese after reading ballad of the salt sea
also satania after seeing it storytimed here

bump

bump

chill, joe budden.

Good thread

So "alt comics" means "having an ugly, free-handed style that doesn't use penciling and inking method"?

Not that user.
I liked "Shhh!" and "Hey, Wait..." more than that one.

Recently read Safari Honymoon, it was a rather weird creepy read but in a good way.

Not far out or anything, but this one was fun.

Anyone who got an opinion or two about this? I'd mainly buy it for the Dope Rider on paper print.

Breccia style was a perfect fit fo the book, it actually manged to make it even more unnerving.

I enjoyed Jesse's work MUCH MORE than I expected. By This Shall You Know Him is great too.

>I've never read that, Arsene was the only work of his that I've seen, is that his main work?
Besides Arsene and My Boy, he's also done:
The Man Who Grew His Beard (a collection of short stories)
Mowgli's Mirror (wordless comic so it doesn't matter where you get it from)
Greys (one-shot, has been storytimed on Sup Forums before)
He's doing some new comic, which Fanta will probably later publish
And other misc. stuff

Been a while since i read it, but i remember Epicurus the Sage been a fairly fun read

This is on my reading list for next month. All I know about his work is his famous stuff on Daredevil and Batman.

I'm reading a graphic novel called The Ukrainian and Russian Notebooks by Italian comics artist Igort.

It's about the forced famine and genocide of Ukrainians by Stalin in the early 30's. Very interesting subject, reminiscent of Maus by Art Speigelman.

The art is less Spigelman though and more like that sketchy but controlled style of Eddie Campbell in Bacchus or From Hell. As well as a lot of references to the painting Guernica by Picasso.

Sam Keith has a really unique style to him. I think The Maxx and his work on Marvel Comics Presents is still some of the best superhero material of that era.

I hate to say it, since I'm a fan of Chester Brown, but this is one of his most boring books. It almost reads like a medical textbook.

I much prefer his more religious and surreal work as opposed to his autobiographical books.

Pretty great crime comic, the story is told trough various POVs and has an style similar to Charles Burns.

Woops, didn't mean to quote.

Whaaaaa?! When did this come out. Dope Rider is amazing but I've never seen it in print.

Maybe one of you guys can help me out. I remember reading a story a few years ago (but I think it was from the 80s) in a Heavy Metal magazine that was about an ornate egg being found and worshiped by some creatures/aliens in a city surrounded by water. The city started to flood and in the end the egg was all that remained. I think the universe eventually collapsed as a whole and the egg remained to birth a new universe. Can't for the life of me remember which artist it was, but I'm pretty certain it was french. Story was mostly wordless though.

I enjoyed Paying for it, but felt a bit too self-indulgent at times.

Joe Matt makes me feel bad.

Lol, thanks for the advice Chester.

Messner-Loebs was an underrated writer
too bad for the homelessness and meth addiction

> Like many other creators of the time, Loebs found the late ‘90s to be a period of tremendous change, which ultimately left him without regular work. After an auto accident, Loebs and his wife Nadine lost their house in 2001. Loebs’ plight at that point became public knowledge, and the then newly-formed ACTOR, which aids creators who’ve fallen upon hard times, stepped in, and was able to help the couple in their purchase of a mobile home.
> As The Detroit News article relates, unknown to the Loebs’, the home was full of mold, the seller refused to take it back, and it was stolen months later. Since that time, the Loebs have been living in a hotel in Howell, Michigan. Both volunteer at the Howell Senior Center. Due to medical difficulties, Loebs’ wife unable to hold steady work, and while he’s tried, and continues looking, Loebs has been unable to find steady work.
Jesus Christ, Loebs had a hard life.

You tried.

Just a few more months to go!

bump

t.retard