Alan moore

>alan moore
>comprehensive elaboration on his thoughts on magic, both in his work and out of it; might not agree with him but he has interesting theories
>grant morrison
>ah mehk dah supah hero like me and mehk him saxesfull, and I saxesfull as well :)
How can anyone take this brainlet seriously?

Because his All star superman and animal man were motherfucking good.

The fact you are trying to compare him to the most acclaimed comic writter of all times to make him look bad show how dishonest you are.

There is only one solution to magic. Cleansing fire.

No, I'm not comparing him as a writer (where it is indeed unfair to compare him to Moore), I'm comparing him as a man, more specifically, his "dip" into magic

Morrison has been a magician longer than Moore. But Morrison's explanations are often confusing.

>you can use magick to channel john Lennon and talk to him legit
>but actually you're just emptying your consciousness of everything that is not Lennon, so what's left is your guide to what he'd say to you. so for instance of you summon James Bond, you're just bringing our the suave secret agent inside you
>but one time I actually spoke with Lennon and shit was so cash

Alan moore is an overrated hack. Fight me

both are good and I like Morrison's theme's more but he is much less coherent especially in his indie stuff.
Moore is my #2 but really he's probably the best comic writer of all time
why not read both user?
best works:
>the filth
>promethea

Why brits are so obsessed with pagan shit? Same with John lennon

All hipsters on UK end up doing this shit? Is that usual?

Moore writes for smart people and Morrison writes for dumb people who think they're smart

Morrison's explanation for why he went magic is "materialism and hedonism", which puts me in the mind that he doesn't really believe in that stuff, he just does it to be wacky, which significantly lowers my opinion of him.

because it's their real prechristian history user

>Expecting magic to make sense

Lol. You know neither Morrison's nor Moore's magical claims hold any substance, right?

Doesn't make me like them less as writers, but I don't give a shit about their hocus pocus.

Come at me, bro. BTW that beard makes you look like a monkey.

Morrison is the Kanye of comics...not sure what rapper Moore is

But almost everyone got pagan ancestors

I don't know, other than Promethea Moore has some interesting thoughts on magic
>Art is, like magic, the science of manipulating symbols, words, or images, to achieve changes in consciousness

This pretty perfect domes up the Moore vs Morison thing

it seems more like self hypnosis than "chaos magick" to me

>missing the point of Moore's work
Every single thing of his ends on a dark, but hopeful note, because he's one of the only comic writers who realize that life isn't simply divided into bad and good endings

I guess but maybe more pagan stuff survived in the UK? I dunno I'm a yank

this comic also sums up Sup Forums

>He Didn't read Tom Strong

Shut up, Millar.

>How can anyone take this brainlet seriously?

Are we talking about Morrison or OP?

So the witch hunt was fucking useless

Yes, because to Moore, life consists exclusively grey, morally questionable quandaries, and everyone is driven only by tragedy or some burdensome duty.
Alan Moore seeing nothing but grey is now better than only seeing black or white.

>ACKSHUALLY there r black and white
Have all those comic books rotten your brain user?

I approve of morrison as the kanye of comics

Alan Moore
>buy my fish rape comics
Grant Morrison
>here's the best Batman run, one of the most essential Superman stories, and the most metal and kickass Santa Clause story

It's a mystery. You might say... the mystery of the druids.

[User was eaten by Glycon for this post]

So how many people in this thread are actually just arguing with themselves?

ty user...I guess Millar is in the running but it's definitely Morrison lol

Moore
>lol let me completely redefine superhero comics using D tier expies
Morrison
>bruh, what if, like, we could break the fourth wall?

Dunno, it is a part of their history
Do Greeks still talk about the Greek God's?

I'm posting a ton because I like both but prefer morrison, not insane enough to reply to myself generally

This.

Morrison' stories inspire you to be more than you are. Moore's story tell you that aspiration is stupid and that rape is an essential tool for storytelling

You sound like you have an IQ high enough to enjoy Rick and Morty

You mean Moore added rape into superhero comics? Wow, so "redefining".

Millar is more the Jay Z

>Moore's story tell you that aspiration is stupid
t. hasn't read Watchmen or V for Vendetta
>rape is an essential tool for storytelling
Why is rape so much more horrific than the general mutilation and murder that goes on?

Watchmen is literally the opposite of aspiration unless you believe mass murder is a nessecary good.

that's a good comparison...moore would have to be some recluse but the problem is all good rappers are much more arrogant than he is

both sound good desu, is great to explore different philosophies

>Wow, so "redefining"
>idea of superheroes as inherently mentally unstable individuals years before Morrison
>villain with a point instead of generic "lol I hate everything because I'm mad" (see: Mandrakk)
>so good everybody and their mother rips you off
>Watchmen is literally the opposite of aspiration unless you believe mass murder is a nessecary good.
What about the point where a skeptical superpowered being realizes how wondrous and miraculous life really is?

If I need to explain to you why rape is a cheap and sexist way to shock readers then there's no purpose having an argument with you.

Cool, a godlike being realised life is miraculous, sacred, etc... it's a shame that's never existed before...

Oh wait, that's literally the point of Superman.

Aesop Rock

>Oh wait, that's literally the point of Superman.
Yes, because the silver age was all about those deep implications, right.
P.S: Moore's also written Supes, and they're considered one of the best.

heard of him but never listened to any of his stuff, I will take your word for it user

Magic doesn't exist. What does it matter if one person's made up rules for their superstitions are more elaborate than another persons made up rules for their superstitions? Both are weird manchildren playing wizard.

it's really a form of self hypnosis, look into that user

I don't disagree that Moore has written ONE good Superman story. Which is one of his THREE non cynical pieces of writing out of hundreds

>Manchildren
>Both are titans of their field, have achieved pretty much everything they set out for in their work
One of these things is not like the other.

Supreme is execllent

Moore isn't as cynical as you think he is; and his cynical characters always get taught a lesson
Only an idiot dismisses an idea without considering it first. I myself am highly skeptical of it still, yet still think that Moore deserves to be heard out

promethea is his entire life's philosophy in comics form and it's positive and a great read, be amused and learn about crazy shit like magical sex and kabbalah

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Many great artists were incredibly immature people.

this, and one of the most positive comics (collected) ive ever read

They're completely different systems of magic, mate.

>we don't live in a timeline where they're best friends

morrison can focus his chi
moore can actually throw a hadouken

it got us some good literature and tourists at least

>Watchmen is literally the opposite of aspiration
The final moments LITERALLY revolve around various people recognizing the significance of all things.

The tragedy itself stems from the fact Veidt locks himself up in his little snow globe from the rest of the world and decides otherwise.

Comedian, who helped spur this thinking, is shown with his guard down to realizing there's nothing funny about the idea of human life being used as props for an overly long gag.

The shrink realizes reducing people down to psych terms and sensationalism and dinner table gossip is more dehumanizing than the people he sees as inhuman.

Walter who had talked down to just about everything and everyone and had a stone bust for a face is crying in the end from the horror of what he just played bystander to.

Even vile knot top punks even realize their leader is just a mad dog beating on an innocent old man, they don't do anything to stop it but still even they recognized senseless violence and death.

Bernie, the newspaper stand salesman, tries to spare a kid he barely knew from the cold embrace of death.

But yeah no, sure, it's completely not about anything besides kicking down capes, that's all mean ol' Moore, Gibbons and Higgins were intent on doing for 12 fucking laborious issues. I'm sure that's not just what someone with a secondhand knowledge or after a cursory glance would take from it. Jesus H.R. Giger Christ.

It's easier to dissect problems than appreciate things for what they are, that's human nature. Break something around a group of guys and they'll try to understand and fix it, but only after it's been broken.

This is more of a Western thing, since most myth/stories are good vs. evil duality with one needing to defeat the other. We know that this is imbalanced though, and not realistic, which is why understanding the drawbacks of the protag or the motivations of the villain being sympathetic add so much impact to the conflict.

More woman get raped than you'd think. It is pretty dramatic and violent to use for the plot and Moore does rely on it a bit too much, but you've probably already met multiple rape victims by now. It's not like it's rare.

>One day, I was in Westminster in London—this was after we had introduced the character—and I was sitting in a sandwich bar. All of a sudden, up the stairs came John Constantine. He was wearing the trenchcoat, a short cut—he looked—no, he didn't even look exactly like Sting. He looked exactly like John Constantine. He looked at me, stared me straight in the eyes, smiled, nodded almost conspiratorially, and then just walked off around the corner to the other part of the snack bar. I sat there and thought, should I go around that corner and see if he is really there, or should I just eat my sandwich and leave? I opted for the latter; I thought it was the safest. I'm not making any claims to anything. I'm just saying that it happened. Strange little story.
>Years later, in another place, he steps out of the dark and speaks to me. He whispers: "I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic. Any cunt could do it."

Moore I can buy being a manchild with the way he lives, how he refused to take money from adaptations of his work, his screed about superheroes and how he's always hated them (the fucking guy that wrote Top 10 and Supreme, sure we believe you Alan) and how he's cut people out of his life for the most insignificant shit (Bissette still isn't entirely sure what made Moore turn against him). Morrison is at least an adult in how he carries himself even if he is a weirdo.

It's clear he's always hated superheroes; otherwise he wouldn't always try to deconstruct them

>Ignoring the works I included in that very post
Kill yourself casual

Remember when Millar was the rape guy meme, not Moore?

>he thinks they aren't deconstructions either
Yes, they're softer ones, but they're deconstructions nonetheless.
Everything that guy's done is a deconstruction

Millar may have less rape than Morrison actually.

The use of that term has become completely lost. Fairly pathetic.

It was some new soy meme started by Morrison a few years ago and people just went overboard.

Boiling down Moore and Morrison to make fallacious pro and con arguments gets you nowhere. The reason both men endure within the pantheon of comics writers is because of how they used talents to communicate ideas underrepresented in comics at the current time.

Moore speaks to an encroaching darkness within western civilization's soul which rears its head any number of horrible ways. However it's not an outside force, but a demon we each must contend with in ourselves lest it destroy us. This was a rather nuanced thought at the time in comics when everything was getting darker and no one was really talking about why.

Morrison's work is about the transformative nature of self-actualization. Nearly all of Morrison's stories are about characters finding a deeper understanding of themselves and their reality through connections to the outside world in order to triumph over adversity. Sometimes that triumph is as grand as killing the god of all evil and sometimes it's as small as deciding not to kill yourself. To Morrison it's all the same. His comics spoke to a different audience from the mainstream and invited them to think more about the art they were consuming.

Claiming one is better than the other for any small reason is ridiculous.

>Claiming one is better than the other for any small reason is ridiculous.
Yet Moore is better in the technical sense that he knows how to actually write comics and not just pictures of people talking and fighting

Yea man purple prose is really well suited to a visual medium!

No, I'm talking more about stuff like how Chapter V of Watchmen is perfectly symmetrical, or the play of word and image present in all of his comics

morrison is an expert on memetic warfare and probably could hang on any board...moore would only post on /lit/

Morrison panders
Moore challenges

Jesus christ this board is hopeless

Morrison
>doing magic for decades
Alan Moore
>jumps onto it as an excuse to justify his weird creepy beard

morrison's beard hunter one shot issue of doom patrol is a classic lol

meta bump

Remember how a bunch of people were taught a gibberish olde god language so that others who learned it could go crazy from it and go on murderous rampages.
And it was all to apparently lure a former sex addict FBI officer into a small town to be captured and raped by a 12+ inch fishmonster cock and give birth to old god Jesus?

Interesting magical theory.

Are you trying to imply Moore's biggest issue as a writer isn't his tendency to overwrite?

What was hopeful at the end of From Hell?

moore would post wojak
morrison would post pepe

We and William are literally shown that despite Gull's delusions that his mystic murder machinations would change the face of tomorrow into his liking, the world ultimately moved on and for the better.
He certainly left a footprint and an echo, but he had no power over the flow of the world and he feels it as he enters it, and it breaks him more than anyone else.

Morrison himself constantly begs the comparison, and has been begging since 1990 when Moore refused to let him write Miracleman.

good post

millar hollywood hack bump

so Moore is a wizard and Morrison is a sorcerer, is what you're saying

Except the story's ending is WW1 coming up.

I seriously don’t understand the love for Grant Morrison, his Batman run was thoroughly mediocre and all his characters sounds the same

>it’s the “everything Moore writes is cynical” meme

Read some of his work beyond Watchmen dumbass

Also
>Owlturd

Credibility lost