Has anyone been able to recapture what made the Watchmen great?

Has anyone been able to recapture what made the Watchmen great?
The dark themes, the symbolism and the metacommentary on the genre and the medium.

Doomsday clock has been really good so far , but do you think it will live up to the original?

>Doomsday clock has been really good so far
user...

Is not a game changer but is not awful either, is ok

People are trying to paint it as it was something offensively bad like civil war 2 what is clealy not the case

retard

Does Johns actually have an identity as a writer?

From the stuff I've read from him I've seen him try to be Roy Thomas, or Len Wein, or Marv Wolfman. Now he's trying to be Alan Moore.

Not Sup Forums(Though that doesnt stop people from posting it here because capeshit) but Worm the web serial likes to apply the dark standards of Watchmen to a more mainstream hero setting, chock full of lore and worldbuilding. Suffers from pacing, and some parts are tedious, but overall a great experience.

it is offensively bad, but in a different way from CW2

Not really. So far it's just a middle-of-the-road event. The only thing that could be construed as offensive is that it's using material from Watchmen.

not just material, it's trying to ape Watchmen structurally, and failing utterly

>but do you think it will live up to the original?
Obviously not even close. I am enjoying it but with every issue it becomes increasingly clear that this is not going to be a classic or have any lasting importance.

No argument there. Mostly because the writer doesn't seem to have much to say. But even given that, I don't find it to be a bad comic. Just more average cape fare.

Its a sacred cow. Anons will bitch forever.

Compare what Doomsday Clock is doing to what Morrison did in his Pax Americana story, which was also Morrison doing his own Watchmen. Johns is just terrible

>Has anyone been able to recapture what made the Watchmen great?

No.

Pantheon by Lone Star Press

>is not awful

The art is good.

But...

>Does Johns actually have an identity as a writer?
Nostalgia wanker who piles on OH SHIT moments then hastily and anticlimactically resolves story arcs?

That's basically my opinion. Doomsday Clock has just been a slow grind. It's entertaining to me partly because I can taste Moore's hateful tears with every flip of the page. Glorious.

>Veidt not only inexplicably discovers there are parallel realities but achieves travel to one with all of jerry rigging Archie a bit to precision quantum tunnel through existence.
>This new piece of convenient information not only demonstrably proves he was correct beforehand to fearmonger society away from internal conflict and towards unity against potential extradimensional invasions who could pop in or their own fleet of tricked out Archies any day, but calls into question why he did not release information about it at any point to reshift focus back towards an outside threat away from another nuke party.
>Veidt decides instead to meet two assholes who due to being really smart will somehow help them find Doctor Manhattan. He and NeRorschach decide providing these complete strangers extensive information they do not need in any capacity to help with this search.
>Immediately after both strangers are now even less willing to cooperate, in fact in one case said information services for only hamhanded metacommentary about Veidt's plan and in the other case: illegal incarceration inside an insane asylum.
>The Comedian (real or not, we're not going down that waste of time) has been inexplicably teleported from near death by Doctor Manhattan and consequently while left completely unchecked, immediately sets out the attempted murder of two individuals.
>Also here are some Hijinks from those wacky lovable murders, Meme and NotHarleyQuinn.

>but achieves travel to one with all of jerry rigging Archie a bit to precision quantum tunnel through existence

and the nukes going off

>what made the Watchmen great
People being easily surprised by deconstruction and naturalism along with an artist's selection of parlor tricks in page layout and symmetry?
Why, no. Nor will they and if you expected Doomsday Clock to somehow be a spot-on pastiche of something made in 1985, that would not be a realistic expectation.