Scooby Doo Where are You thread. Mystery Incorported fags need not apply

Somebody explain this meme to me. Why does Sup Forums hate the original Scooby Doo so much?
Scooby Doo: Where are You? is a national treasure, and belongs in the fucking LoC national film archives next to a huge bowl of ganja and a mountain of pizza boxes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2wqd1lqLJs4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They never did there job correctly. All they dis was catch poor white folk down on thier luck, when they should of been catching all those blacks running amuck.

It's the poster-child for everything that went wrong with cartoons in the 1960s. It's shocking how quickly Hanna-Barbera declined, considering the talent that they employed.

Shaggy is only good in teaching

I still cant get over the fact his actual name is Rogers.

Elaborate.

I binged a good amount of episodes recently.
I enjoyed it. It's simple and hasn't aged all that well, but I enjoyed it. I think the problem is that it's not the best version of Scooby out there. It's been topped more than once even. It's certainly not the worst either, mind you.

This is incredibly uneducated. If it weren't for Hanna-Barbara developing extremely cheap techniques for making cartoons, we simply would not have cartoons outside of comics and S-tier animation studios making shorts, or at least we would not have had them for a good 60 some-odd years. As shitty as they might look, they literally saved Sup Forums.

His last name is what you have an issue with?

His first name is actually Norville, if I remember correctly

THIS IS A RICK AND MORTY THREAD NOW
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

I'm not talking about the limited animation. H-B was fine in the late '50s and early '60s.

He is officially Norville "Shaggy" Rodgers. I recall A Pup Named Scooby-Doo establishing that he hates his real name, hence the nickname.

I'd say Scooby-Doo is kind of like the Shrek of it's era. On it's own, it's fine, but the trend it started was terrible.

I would say Johnny Quest is a better candidate.

I really enjoyed it. IMO it's easily the best incarnation for a simple reason - the kids are actually meddling busy-bodies who succeed more or less on luck and being annoying.

So many times they just butt there way into a "mystery" that isn't even a mystery. And more than once their detective work leads nowhere and even they don't know who it is until it's explained to them.

It's a great mix of having an adventurous spirit and them being very much still kids. I can't believe it only lasted 25 episodes. It could have gone on for years.

I don't know, I feel like more cartoons were mimicking Scooby during the 70's.

His actual name is Norville.

Norville Redenbacher?

The show by itself was monotonous. If you had seen one episode you'd know the formula after watching the second, and that can get old real quick. Though maybe that's what kids of the 60s and 70s wanted in a cartoon.

Eventually they changed it up with guest appearances and other incarnations, but even then they worked off of the old formula of mysteries and unmaskings.

>Somebody explain this meme to me. Why does Sup Forums hate the original Scooby Doo so much?

Scooby Doo itself only ever existed as a shameless attempt to cash in on the live action Archie show. It featured repetitive plots and shallow characters, lots of bad/recycled animation, etc.

That it's popular at all is more of meme (lol drugs, lol zoinks, lol you meddling kids, lol Scrappy Doo, lol Velma is secretly a voluptious sex fiend) than the idea that its mostly crap.

The first couple movies (Witch's Ghost and Zombie Island) and Mystery Incorporated are pretty much the highest points the franchise has ever reached in terms of quality. You can tell they really wanted to do cool stuff with the franchise and the characters, but it's always a short lived experiment.

I disagree with you on the idea that memes are what made scooby-doo popular, but I don't know enough about the 70s cartoon ecosystem to argue with you about it.

Memes came from people's existing love for the show. It just so happens to be really exploitable, and the same trend is ever-present in many of it's successors.

I really like the backgrounds in the show. Apart from that it's mediocre. I still like it though. Many of the complaints about it are valid, but a lot of people posting them here are just kids who didn't ever watch the show repeating what some guy who sounded cool said.

>Memes came from people's existing love for the show.

More like I mean Scooby Doo is popular because it's a familiar thing that people can reference. But I'll be damned if I ever heard anyone call themselves a "Scooby Doo Fan" in the sense that they can name their favorite episodes, mysteries, or actual jokes or anything.

It's all just waifu posting, jokes about weed/drug references, repeating of the recycled chase/reveal scenes, and talking about the latest series in a kind of abstract "How does this compare to the rest of the franchise?" way.

Most people who "like" Scooby Doo" seem to like it in more of a meta sense.

>But I'll be damned if I ever heard anyone call themselves a "Scooby Doo Fan" in the sense that they can name their favorite episodes, mysteries, or actual jokes or anything.
I've always liked Scooby Doo. I can name my favorite episodes, mysteries etc. For example, the Green Ghost episode is one of my favorites. Love the setting, atmosphere, and dialogue.

The Green Wraiths, Captain Cutler, and Charlie the Funland Robot episodes are still top notch.

Especially the latter. So fun.

As someone who grew up watching Scooby Doo and has always loved it's many incarnations, every version has something to love. Sure the original can be poorly animated and simplistic, but it has such a charm and painted a fun world that was so interesting that it keeps getting remade to this day. Also stop memeing the Shaggy and Scooby stoner joke is probably three times as old as you are. Now since we've got a thread, let's talk Scooby Doo, is there any big news for new movies coming in?

It's weird that Sup Forums has decided to hate the original Scooby Doo so much, especially when people seem to be comparing it to modern expectations and complaining that it doesn't meet them 100%. I don't know, it would kind of like complaining about The Flintstones not meeting our standards today either, shows have to be recognised in the environment they were made in. Not that it means you have to love everything but I'd expect Sup Forums to recognise when the limitations of the era were showing.

Haven't watched it in decades, space kook still the coolest

>Also stop memeing the Shaggy and Scooby stoner joke is probably three times as old as you are.

Memes are older than I am. When I say "meme" I don't mean a picture with white text, I mean a running gag.

And Scooby Doo has persisted in popularity largely due to those handful of long running jokes.

Scooby Doo has persisted because everyone loves a mystery and it is family friendly. It also is able to be retooled from generation to generation while keeping mostly the same formula.

Yapper dapper dan

That episode had one of the best scenes in the whole series.
youtube.com/watch?v=2wqd1lqLJs4